PDA

View Full Version : Winters or All Season Rubber for SUV's?

BokCh0y
09-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Just picked up a RX330 AWD. Curious about what type of tires I should use for winter. I won't be doing any off roading or anything extreme, just typical daily and winter driving.

So what type of tires should I go with? All season or winters? I usually go with seprate Winters and Summers for the cars...but never owned an SUV before so not sure what to do. Should I pick up a seperate set of rims with winter rubber? Keep the current rims with all season rubber for summer and daily driving?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

schocker
09-03-2008, 08:47 PM
The best bet would be winters, but you would be fine with a set of good all seasons.

BokCh0y
09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking, but because it's AWD I thought maybe I could just get a set for all yeare roun :D

But winters definitly sound better each day to me.....it'll suck balls to have to drive the IS with winters instead of the SUV specifically for winter hahaha.

Thanks dude.

Anyone else have opinions or suggestions?

AE92_TreunoSC
09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I've driven lots of highlanders and RX's in the winter on summer tyres and they actually perform very well, they are one of my favorite vehicles to drive in the winter.

I'd suggest winter tyres simply for braking and handling though, to protect your investment and the people inside.

But I wouldnt consider it a crime if you simply put some solid all seasons on it.

EvolutionI
09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I would go with Nokian WRs. Will preform excellently in teh winter, but you can run it all year around.

max_boost
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Don't cheap out man!

Get those winter tires. For a vehicle that big and stability control, hell any winter tire will do.

Deetz
09-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Winters all the way if turning and stopping are important to you...the difference is night and day during bad road and weather conditions.

If they save you even once from a crash or hitting a ditch or otherwise, they done their job :thumbsup:

bigbadboss101
09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I suggest winter tires. In Calgary you might not NEED it but it's nice to have. Should have some nice grip with winter tires and AWD.

BokCh0y
09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Sounds good to me!!!! Thanks for everyones advice and input. I've used winter tires for the past 10 years on ALL of my cars, I can honestly say from personal experience....definitly the way to go. Was just curious about an AWD SUV hehehe. First time owner!!!

But again, thanks everyone. I'll order the winters tomorrow.

Khalil.e
09-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Winters!

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows for the 4Runner this year!

I would also recommend Toyo Open Country Plus tires.