PDA

View Full Version : Appeared on Breakfast TV, Tues. Sept 2!!!

VWEvo
09-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Here's the link;

gRunPQTAn-E

pf0sh0
09-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice, I saw that, looked interested

Revhard
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Nice. If my Dentist is famous, does that make me famous???:rofl:
Hope the prices don't go up now...:D

ZorroAMG
09-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Congrats! Shoulda done the interview with Jill though :love:

SprayGUN
09-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Nice how much do these cost? I could benefit from this.

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Congrats! Shoulda done the interview with Jill though :love:

LOL,

Jill was super cool, she came and chatted with us for a little while. Overall, great experience.

Redlyne_mr2
09-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Looks like a cool product.. congrats... dont know how u had so much energy at 6am or whatever ungodly time that show airs.

Team_Mclaren
09-04-2008, 01:00 AM
so this is what funds the Aston!! J/K :rofl: :rofl:

XylathaneGTR
09-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Man, i was watching that half asleep.
Congrats man.
FYI Redlyne, it was around 8am IIRC...still too early.

max_boost
09-04-2008, 01:03 AM
That's cool man. Maybe I need to get fitted for my badminton/weight lifting/cardio training.

Dr. D, you looked like a pro out there man. I would have been so nervous talking lol

ZorroAMG
09-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo

LOL,

Jill was super cool, she came and chatted with us for a little while. Overall, great experience.

Jill is a close friend of mine, great girl..

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Looks like a cool product.. congrats... dont know how u had so much energy at 6am or whatever ungodly time that show airs.

The show is from 6-10...if you are on at 6 for your interview you have to be there at 5...crazy ..

ZorroAMG
09-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by SprayGUN

They normally don't do them unless there is something unique or a story of some sort...

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 01:12 AM

PPM's for amateur athletes run for $800. I will hook up Beyond member for a little less though ;)

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

They normally don't do them unless there is something unique or a story of some sort...

I was assuming he was talking about the mouthguard.

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
That's cool man. Maybe I need to get fitted for my badminton/weight lifting/cardio training.

Dr. D, you looked like a pro out there man. I would have been so nervous talking lol

You know I'll hook you up man!!! OG of Beyond !!!

ZorroAMG
09-04-2008, 01:18 AM

I was assuming he was talking about the mouthguard.

Haha, yeah I'm an idiot...I just sorta figured the actual on air and interview was the focus of the thread over the actual product, so that's where my head was...

Sorry!

Nice work, Doc!

The_Rural_Juror
09-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Good interview!:thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
09-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a silly question. If there was some benefit with Dave Kelly (sp?) and the pen-in-the-mouth trick then wouldn't a regular mouthguard have a similar benefit? It's some pretty interesting ideas for sure.

lint
09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Question, how does the non-impact piece, the one that fits over the bottom teeth only, help align the jaw?

5hift
09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
haha wow congrats Wally

Canmorite
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
That is very very cool. In the demonstration, his balance increased dramatically. I'm assuming it would do the same for a skier? :D

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I have a silly question. If there was some benefit with Dave Kelly (sp?) and the pen-in-the-mouth trick then wouldn't a regular mouthguard have a similar benefit? It's some pretty interesting ideas for sure.

Great question,

I'm gonna likely set up a specific thread to explain the premise behind these.

Firstly,

The name of the game is to get the muscles in a relaxed position. The pen, gets me close, but is not ideal, so the results with the actual mouthguard are mind boggling.

Secondly, a regular mouthguard actually hinders performance big time!!!! When I flew down to LA to help fit NY Giants players we had a few of them bring their old mouthguards to compare. Not only did they have no effect, they all actually hindered their performance. The regular mouthguard was forcing their jaw to go back, instead of forward which is super bad!!! In other words boil and bite mouthguards and fitted mouthguards are terrible for performance. It takes me 30 seconds to prove this to anybody.

I hope that helps explain it a little better

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

BTW, Kerry Joseph wore one all of last year when the Riders won the grey cup. He still wears his today, in fact watch an Argo's game and you'll notice he keeps taking out his lower PPM, its still White and Green. We offered to make him a new one but he's superstitious.

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by lint
Question, how does the non-impact piece, the one that fits over the bottom teeth only, help align the jaw?

Go to my website ppmcalgary.com to see an actual photo of a lower PPM. The lower one is similar to what we use to treat TMJ disorders.

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
That is very very cool. In the demonstration, his balance increased dramatically. I'm assuming it would do the same for a skier? :D

It works incredibly well for skiing. In fact, when we were in LA we fitted 2 US Olympic skiers. I honestly can't remember their names, but I can find it if you want.

BigShow
09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Has the video been removed?

thinmyster
09-04-2008, 12:30 PM
are you still able to wear an upper mouthgard to protect your teeth from oncomming pucks/sticks? I thought i read somewhere mouthgards help prevent concussions would this do the same?

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by BigShow
Has the video been removed?

Hmm, it doesn't seem to work, here is a link for now.

Big Breakfast TV appearance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRunPQTAn-E)

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
are you still able to wear an upper mouthgard to protect your teeth from oncomming pucks/sticks? I thought i read somewhere mouthgards help prevent concussions would this do the same?

Hockey players or any athlete involved in a impact sport would wear the upper PPM. There are two versions, pictures of both are at Pictures of PPM's (http://www.ppmcalgary.com/TypesofPPMs.aspx)

You are correct, proper mouthguards to help prevent concussions, the PPM does this also. In fact, we're waiting on research to show that it is even more effective than a regular mouthguard at preventing a concussion because your lower jaw is already stabilized.

SprayGUN
09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
im not an athlete I just want something for my jaw and to help sleep. Do these things aid in fixing underbite?

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
im not an athlete I just want something for my jaw and to help sleep. Do these things aid in fixing underbite?

We have something very similar that is used for sleeping and for your lower jaw. Its hard for me to give you an exact answer without seeing you in person. You welcome to come in for a no charge consultation so I can discuss your options.

hks
09-04-2008, 06:04 PM
so, i still wear the retainers (when i sleep) my orthodontist gave me after i had my braces removed, will that work?

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by hks
so, i still wear the retainers (when i sleep) my orthodontist gave me after i had my braces removed, will that work?

Yes,

The PPM is only used when you are either playing a sport, working out or training. You wouldn't sleep with it.

hks
09-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Yes,

The PPM is only used when you are either playing a sport, working out or training. You wouldn't sleep with it.

no, what i meant to say was, could my braces retainers kind of act like the PPM retainer?
they both have kind of have the same structure and even kind of look the same.

VWEvo
09-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by hks

no, what i meant to say was, could my braces retainers kind of act like the PPM retainer?
they both have kind of have the same structure and even kind of look the same.

Sorry, now I understand your question. No, retainers for braces do not work the same at all. When we constuct a PPM, your hooked up to a TENS machine to determine a relaxed position for your jaw muscles. Once this is determined your PPM is constructed to guide your jaw into this exact position. Retainers for braces do not guide your jaw at all. In fact, they will likely lead to decreased performance as they likely are not putting the muscles of your jaw in a relaxed position. Hope that makes it a little more clear.

hadookin
09-04-2008, 11:11 PM
and the magical question.... covered by insurance? I could benefit from one of these, but not $900 worth.

Whiley
09-05-2008, 12:03 AM
^^ pricing is a good question of interest
so the TENS machine basically uses mild electrical stimulus to relax the muscles, and then you align the jaw using another alignment machine, right?
can you expand on how this PPM is different for TMJ therapy, i'm thinking about someone with else who is suffering from that now
problem is that no insurance covers TMJ or the mere mention of TMJ :(
thanks
good interview by the way, quite interesting

Sorry, now I understand your question. No, retainers for braces do not work the same at all. When we constuct a PPM, your hooked up to a TENS machine to determine a relaxed position for your jaw muscles. Once this is determined your PPM is constructed to guide your jaw into this exact position. Retainers for braces do not guide your jaw at all. In fact, they will likely lead to decreased performance as they likely are not putting the muscles of your jaw in a relaxed position. Hope that makes it a little more clear.

VWEvo
09-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by hadookin
and the magical question.... covered by insurance? I could benefit from one of these, but not $900 worth.

You would have to look into your insurance coverage, most likely little to no coverage. This is would fall under a Custom fabricated Sport mouthguard.

VWEvo
09-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Whiley
^^ pricing is a good question of interest
so the TENS machine basically uses mild electrical stimulus to relax the muscles, and then you align the jaw using another alignment machine, right?
can you expand on how this PPM is different for TMJ therapy, i'm thinking about someone with else who is suffering from that now
problem is that no insurance covers TMJ or the mere mention of TMJ :(
thanks
good interview by the way, quite interesting

The PPM is not intended to be used to treat TMJ. Although it does put the muscles in a far more comfortable position, and most of our athletes actually tell us that their jaw joints feel incredibly better. For TMJ therapy we also use a TENS machine along with a piece of equipment that tracks your jaw electronically and gives us muscle readings using surface muscle sensors. TMJ treatment requires more precision as well as splints that are made of different materials. Alot of insurance plans will cover some of the cost of TMJ therapy, just need to have the correct codes. Hopefully that clears it up a little.

hassanc21
09-05-2008, 07:40 PM
How much for the top and bottom?
Also, Would a football player be able to play using only the lower guard (since it seems to be the one that holds the jaw in place)?
I play men's league full contact football and might be interested in one.
Thanks

GTS Jeff
09-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Neuromuscular Dentist?

Are you a Las Vegas Institute alumnus?

vipstyle2
09-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Congrats , thats awsome !

VWEvo
09-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Neuromuscular Dentist?

Are you a Las Vegas Institute alumnus?

They shouldn't have referred to me as a Neuromuscular Dentist, they should have just referred to me as a Dentist.

Yes I'm an LVI alumni, the whole PPM is based on neuromuscular principles. I know how your school feels about Neuromuscular ;)

GTS Jeff
09-06-2008, 12:45 PM

They shouldn't have referred to me as a Neuromuscular Dentist, they should have just referred to me as a Dentist.

Yes I'm an LVI alumni, the whole PPM is based on neuromuscular principles. I know how your school feels about Neuromuscular ;) Heh I have no idea what they think about neuromuscular, not implying anything. I just heard about LVI from a classmate and was checking into them awhile back. I'd love to hear more from you about it though, it seems pretty interesting. Raman works with you right?

Oh yeah, not sure if I ever mentioned to you...thanks for the recommendation to see Dr. Russett...he's been great!

VWEvo
09-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Heh I have no idea what they think about neuromuscular, not implying anything. I just heard about LVI from a classmate and was checking into them awhile back. I'd love to hear more from you about it though, it seems pretty interesting. Raman works with you right?

Oh yeah, not sure if I ever mentioned to you...thanks for the recommendation to see Dr. Russett...he's been great!

Yup, Raman works with us. We took him to New Orleans to show him how real dentistry was done. He's been absolutely phenomenal to have in our office, totally stand up guy.

Your welcome to come chat with me, I would be more than happy to show you what we showed Raman. When do you graduate??

VWEvo
09-07-2008, 03:10 PM
In the Cleveland Dallas NFL game today both Terrell Owens #81, Dallas and Braylon Edwards #17, Cleveland are both wearing their PPM's Braylon's PPM has been shown like 5 times so far, its yellow and blue and he puts it in his helmet at every huddle!!!

Nav13
09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Looking sharp Voli, so are you the only one offering this in Calgary right now?

nj2Type-S
09-10-2008, 11:02 PM
i wish these things were covered by insurance. this could really help me out. :(

TKRIS
09-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Now, I'm certainly not going to argue the value of a properly fitted, properly designed mouthpiece. That's a given.

I am, however, extremely skeptical of your claims of drastically improved balance and athletic performance resulting from putting a piece of molded plastic over your bottom teeth. I'd be incredibly interested in having a look at tests and experiments that have been performed that show this. I'm sure that if this is something you're comfortable going on television to promote, you have more than the anacdotal examples given here.

No disrespect intended here, so don't misinterprete what I'm saying, but surely you have some actual science to back up your claims. I'm interested in reading about those experiments and results.

VWEvo
09-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Now, I'm certainly not going to argue the value of a properly fitted, properly designed mouthpiece. That's a given.

I am, however, extremely skeptical of your claims of drastically improved balance and athletic performance resulting from putting a piece of molded plastic over your bottom teeth. I'd be incredibly interested in having a look at tests and experiments that have been performed that show this. I'm sure that if this is something you're comfortable going on television to promote, you have more than the anacdotal examples given here.

No disrespect intended here, so don't misinterprete what I'm saying, but surely you have some actual science to back up your claims. I'm interested in reading about those experiments and results.

Your skepticism very understandable. In fact every single person that has one made is skeptical. The idea isn't new, it was originally used in the early 80 by an american orthodontist, however he manually manipulated peoples jaws into position which no one was able to determine how he did it. We use scientific equipment to verify a position that we believe is the most effective. Obviously any claim in dentistry must be back by solid research. There is research to show the effect the lower jaw has on various aspects of the human body. As for specific research regarding the PPM mouthpiece. Rutgers, Arizona, and two other universities are currently researching the device (as it is relatively new). We already know the outcome of the Rutgers study, however they have to go through necessary channels to verify their research. I can tell you that it will answer your skepticism. In fact skepticism is the only thing preventing every single professional athlete from wearing this. However, through some simple tests.

I can guarantee you that professional athletes have no interest in wearing stuff that doesn't work, especially in their mouths. When we first approached Tyrell Owens to wear a mouthpiece his first response was that he doesn't wear mouthguards and he never intends too. We showed him in a matter of 45 seconds what effect it could potentially have on his game. 2 hours later he was sitting in our hotel room for 2 hours being fitted with a PPM. In fact, here is a recent update from training camp update on fox where they comment on the PPM;

a8Q8ZDSQT8E

Sorry about the shitty quality, but you get the idea there.

Here's another couple of videos from Michael Redd of the Milwakee Bucks who also wore his PPM to Beijing who's an avid fanatic of this device.

hPtO1jb55eU

nuQeJtNX64c

and if that isn't enough, Josh Brown the kicker for the St. Louis Rams was one of our original athletes who signed on. He played last year for Seattle Seahawks, in which he had his best year ever(wore his PPM all year). He's now the highest paid kicker in NFL history.
8J8GIGczyJA

I can generally make any skeptic into a believer fast. This device works on 90% of the population. Again, I can go on and on with superstar athletes who believe in this device. Hope that helps a little at least.

TKRIS
09-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Your skepticism very understandable. In fact every single person that has one made is skeptical. The idea isn't new, it was originally used in the early 80 by an american orthodontist, however he manually manipulated peoples jaws into position which no one was able to determine how he did it. We use scientific equipment to verify a position that we believe is the most effective. Obviously any claim in dentistry must be back by solid research.

Well, that's not entirely true. Any claim made by any profession must be backed by solid scientific research to gain any scientific credibility, but there are literally millions of claims made by dentists, doctors, and other professionals that are never independently verified in proper, scientific, double-blind, repeatable experiments.

If there's a bright enough light shone upon them, they might get in trouble if they didn't keep the specifics vague enough, but you and I both know there are dozens of *chiropractics in Alberta that will claim that proper spine alignment will "boost your immune system." :rolleyes:

There is research to show the effect the lower jaw has on various aspects of the human body. As for specific research regarding the PPM mouthpiece. Rutgers, Arizona, and two other universities are currently researching the device (as it is relatively new). We already know the outcome of the Rutgers study, however they have to go through necessary channels to verify their research.

Great. If the Rutgers study is in the peer review stage, I'll likely be able to find it. Got a title, or a name?
If, for some reason, the results aren't yet available, I'd be temporarily satisfied with just the parameters of the experiment so I can judge for myself how much weight the results will eventually carry.

I'm not asking you to spend all night getting me all this info. I just need the name of the peer review journal, researchers name and department, paper title, or something similar so that I can track it down and get started.

I can tell you that it will answer your skepticism. In fact skepticism is the only thing preventing every single professional athlete from wearing this. However, through some simple tests.

I can guarantee you that professional athletes have no interest in wearing stuff that doesn't work, especially in their mouths.

You and I both know this is not true.
I can post hundreds of pictures of professional athletes wearing magical bracelets and similar items. Professional athletes tend to be some of the most superstitious people out there, and, as such, do not make for a very representative study pool.

I can generally make any skeptic into a believer fast. This device works on 90% of the population. Again, I can go on and on with superstar athletes who believe in this device. Hope that helps a little at least.

I'm not really doubting that the device produces some positive results. From what I can see, it looks to be a well designed mouthpiece (good) with some lower jaw stability (good) without limiting breathing as much as some of the other 1-piece or 2-piece mouthguards on the market (good, but also provides less protection).
I'm extremely skeptical of how you claim it works, and the extent to which it works.
Without some actual science to back up your claims, I feel it's irresponsible and dishonest to claim scientific backing. Anacdotal examples of how much faster people say Tyrell Owens is, is nowhere even close to being scientific evidence that a piece of plastic that sits on top of my lower teeth will free up a bunch of brain/muscle power and make me jump higher.

Again, without looking at the actual studies, I can't pass judgment either way. I'd be very interested in looking over the studies being performed, even if it's just the experiment design parameters for now.

Keep in mind that Sylvia Brown has a ton of equally valid anacdotal evidence, and she's crazier than shit. ;)

Again, I'm not trying to muddy your name or make you look bad. I'm just asking if there's any actual scientific support for what you claim is science.

*Yeah, I realize that chiropractics isn't on the same level as dentistry or any other actual medical profession. Just an example.

EDIT: Thus far, I've found that Rutgers athletes will be trying out PPMs, but nothing about an actual study being performed. From what I can gather, Dr. Michael Bixby, a Rutgers graduate, sells and fits these mouthguards, which is likely how he's getting the OK/funding to try them out on those athletes. Haven't found anything happening at Rutgers that could result in anything more than more anacdotal evidence. Haven't found anything about any scientific research. I'll keep looking a bit later though. As of now, I'm not seeing anything that would indicate that this is any more, or any better, than a good quality, well-fitted mouthpiece (like a gladiator, etc.) that goes for a fraction of the cost.

saiyajin
09-11-2008, 12:52 PM
should get the show Sport Science to do a piece.. then we will know for sure!!:thumbsup:

interlude
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Just got fitted.. so lets see if it works! :thumbsup:

VWEvo
09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
should get the show Sport Science to do a piece.. then we will know for sure!!:thumbsup:

Dr. Anil Makkar the inventor of the PPM mouthguard is currently working on it.

max_boost
09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
So....what was T.O like in person? haha

VWEvo
09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
So....what was T.O like in person? haha

Surprisingly, he was a super great guy. He had a body guard and a personal assistant with him. We chatted with him for a little but, but he was preoccupied on two cell phones with a family matter. We cracked jokes with him about having a big mouth (the actual size of his mouth), which he would laugh at us. In person he is incredibly ripped. You can practically see muscle fibers in his neck.

Volinder

colt22
10-18-2008, 10:08 PM
interested

semograd
10-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I will take one for 200$ CASH TONIGHT!!!!