PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked phone question

Shaolin
09-10-2003, 09:31 PM
hello, I got a new phone that was unlocked.. I turn it on, everything works and such.. but I go into my address book and all the entries are gone, BAH.. i thought when you transfer sim cards you don't lose your contacts? Am i doing something wrong here? installed the SIM Card wrong maybe? :dunno: :D I don't know, any ideas?

if worst comes to worst i'll just add my contacts onto the phone again.

hinggu
09-10-2003, 09:35 PM
It depends if you saved your numbers to your last phone or on the sim card when you used your last phone. You have to have your numbers saved on your sim before it transfers.

Loose
09-10-2003, 09:45 PM
what does unlocked mean? like stolen?

hinggu
09-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Loose
what does unlocked mean? like stolen?
No, cell phones are locked to the service provider, or made so it works only with the a certain service provider. When GSM phones are unlocked, you can then use the phone with other sim cards from different providers.

Shaolin
09-10-2003, 09:54 PM
ok i just realized that all the numbers are saved onto the phone memory and nothing on the sim card memory.. is there a way to transfer all the contacts from the phone memory to the sim card memory? I'm looking through my manual and it doesn't seem to be able to do it :(

anyone with an 8390 know? :D

Weapon_R
09-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Some phones give you the option of saving the telephone book and others into your sim card, or into the phones memory. It's most likely that you saved all your info into the previous phones memory, and not the sim card.

hinggu
09-10-2003, 09:57 PM
yeah, i think you have to transfer one by one onto your sim now

Shaolin
09-10-2003, 09:57 PM
yeah that was the problem, i'm trying to figure out if i can transfer all the contacts from phone memory to sim card now =[

roopi
09-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
yeah that was the problem, i'm trying to figure out if i can transfer all the contacts from phone memory to sim card now =[

I sent you a PM. Also yes it is possible to copy all the contacts to the SIM card at once. I can't remember how but I did it with my GF's 8390 about 6 weeks ago. I never looked in the manual I just looked through the phone and I know the option is there!

Weapon_R
09-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by roopi

I sent you a PM. Also yes it is possible to copy all the contacts to the SIM card at once. I can't remember how but I did it with my GF's 8390 about 6 weeks ago. I never looked in the manual I just looked through the phone and I know the option is there!

How do you copy all the contacts to the sim with a v60??

roopi
09-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

How do you copy all the contacts to the sim with a v60??

It's a bit harder on the with Motos. The option is found at:

Phonebook -> Menu -> Copy Entries it will then ask you to enter the range. I've noticed ranges vary but it should tell you your choices.

CRXguy
09-11-2003, 12:33 AM

PM me the "how-to". I still have some numbers on the 8390 that didn't transfer over.

Thanks man! :rofl:

Weapon_R
09-11-2003, 12:33 AM

It's a bit harder on the with Motos. The option is found at:

Phonebook -> Menu -> Copy Entries it will then ask you to enter the range. I've noticed ranges vary but it should tell you your choices.

It's kinda confusing.

Here is what I see:

Copy Entries

From (start):

From (end):

To (start):

In the Fromt (start) menu, I see a place where I can enter a number, and underneath it reads: SIM:501-750

Same idea for the other menus

roopi
09-11-2003, 12:58 AM

It's kinda confusing.

Here is what I see:

Copy Entries

From (start):

From (end):

To (start):

In the Fromt (start) menu, I see a place where I can enter a number, and underneath it reads: SIM:501-750

Same idea for the other menus

OK try this:

From (start): 1

From (end): 999

To (start): 501

Just to explain what is going on is when you enter the '1' it is saying start from position 1 (on the phone) and continue to position 999 (on the phone) and copy it to the SIM starting at 501 (SIMS start at different mine is 1001-1250).

This should work. Now for a Nokia you don't have to do this shit. It's just a matter of finding the option that says 'copy all to sim' and you are done. Nokia menus are much easier but nothing beats a Moto V60 RF!

Let me know if it works for you.

Weapon_R
09-11-2003, 03:24 PM
No luck. Keeps telling me that I have an invaid range.

kenny
09-11-2003, 04:21 PM
On a v60, there is 500 spots I believe, so to copy to simcard the three numbers should be.

Weapon_R
09-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by kenny
On a v60, there is 500 spots I believe, so to copy to simcard the three numbers should be.

Still invalid range...:banghead:

kenny
09-11-2003, 05:06 PM

Still invalid range...:banghead:

Just looked in the manual, doesn't say much at all, it says 1 to 500 is stored on the phone and sim card entries begin at 501. Check to make sure that you are not exceeding the storage of your sim card. The newer Fido simcards (within last year or so)can store 250 numbers but the old ones only stored 100. Not sure about the Rogers simcard.

New Fido simcard should say "32K" on it somewhere.

Stratus_Power
09-12-2003, 02:15 PM
i have an unlocking question? are all phone potential unlock-able?? let say a Sanyo which isnt listed in the omegacell.com

roopi
09-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i have an unlocking question? are all phone potential unlock-able?? let say a Sanyo which isnt listed in the omegacell.com

OK well I'm going to assume you want to unlock a phone that isn't GSM right? If so then there really isn't a poing because even when you get the phone unlocked you have to have the ESN number added to the Telus or Bell database and they don't allow foreign phones on their network.

It is possible to unlock pretty much any phone.