PDA

View Full Version : Would you guess accident?

Supa Dexta
09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I found this truck that has caught my attention but I've noticed the tailgate is missing the sierra/ GMC logo's and the plastic trim at the top... I'm going to question them on it, but does it throw up red flags for anyone? I was wondering if it were rear ended or something at one time, would a replacement tailgate come without anything on it? Seeing as how the truck is stock, makes me wonder why it would be debaged...? Most all other pictures I see have the logos on it like this and the black trim across the top, which I think is separate from the bedlner.

http://www.allenmccormick.com/cars/Gmc/Trucks/S51199A.jpg

And the truck:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6296/gatete0.jpg

The add says "no accidents" and carfax available, but I would rather carproof it. Its at a smaller private dealer near vancouver.

tm88
09-04-2008, 10:06 AM
if it was in a accident and fixed that bad where they didnt even put the plastic strip back on. You wil be able to look under the truck and tell for sure.

JfuckinC
09-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Not all of those trucks came with the plastic i dont think..

Plus my uncle is on his 5th tailgate. it just depends what they use the truck for, cause tail gates get fucked up pretty easy when you use your truck like a truck haha..

Supa Dexta
09-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by tm88
if it was in a accident and fixed that bad where they didnt even put the plastic strip back on. You wil be able to look under the truck and tell for sure.

Except the truck is 1000kms away. The truck looks really good from all of the other pics.. But this def caught my attention.

Zero102
09-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Trucks are cropping up really cheap due to high fuel prices all over the place. Why buy out of province and invite extra headaches? (possible accidents, not being able to inspect it, out of province inspections, etc.)

Supa Dexta
09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Because it's proving tricky to find what I'm looking for on short notice. This one fits what I want, and is a good price.

Is anyone around abbotsford?

Stunt66
09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Somethings not right about the badging on the tailgate but regarding the cap it's true that it's not standard.
It looks like a 3500 duramax and if it is you're gonna be more than happy. My brother has a couple for his work and he let me take one from calgary to nanaimo towing a boat and we barely passed 2000 rpms going uphill. Definately have it checked out at a good place if you can because a good diesel will last a long time.

badatusrnames
09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Notice that it doesn't have the plastic strip along the top of the box either...

I'm guessing the truck just didn't come with the strip to begin with.

510-Trevor
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
ICBC keeps better records than anybody, you can get a vehicle history online (for a fee) if you can get the vin#. Any claims no matter what size will be listed.

The 4x4 decals are still on the sides so if the tailgate was replaced and they cheaped out by not getting a new badge I wouldn't worry. It couldn't have been anything serious if it didn't effect the sides (assuming that they wouldn't replace the side decals and not the tailgate badge)

Supa Dexta
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Carproof shows ICBC records for the 60$ record . I'm going to call the dealer in a bit. I know we bought a replacement box yrs ago for a chev, I don't think it came with stickers either, so it would seem, if the rear end was smashed and needed a new box, they wouldn't be there either... But who knows. Hoping it was just a new gate for some reason.

hampstor
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Aside from an accident, off the top of my head I can think of a tailgate being damaged/lost when:

- It was removed for a 5th wheel
- It was removed for the installation of a power tailgate

I'm not sure about the plastic being removed though. Maybe it was removed for a toolbox :dunno: ?

Supa Dexta
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
So I just called them, sounds like your typical "brown person" dealership.. Not being racist, but you know the type "my friend".. It was an american truck that they brought up from LA, there was some damage to the gate, that they had fixed and painted, and the decals are waiting to be put on, and the plastic trim.

One thing though, doesn't car fax usually come in email form? He says it's a paper copy, and he has no scanner, but is going to take a picture of it with a digital camera to email to me (my idea).

My other option is to run car proof, and there is a GM dealer 6 kms down the road, I could have them go over it first.

SilverBoost
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
It's not completely unheard of to have tailgates stolen either. Might be a replacement that was repainted?

And for the record I used to own a black GMC Jimmy that I debadged just for the heck of it and it was stock. I just hated the look of the badges.

toastgremlin
09-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I know that GM had a number of instances of tailgate problems with the 2000 K-2500 Silverado, at least. It might be an aftermarket tailgate, or they've just decided to debadge it because it looks better (it's not particularly hard). Tailgates also get beaten up pretty heavily, and since that's a long-box I assume it was used for actual work. It might not necessarily be accident-related.

Is the black bedliner stuff still on the inside of the tailgate?

Supa Dexta
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM
You guys aren't reading

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
It was an american truck that they brought up from LA, there was some damage to the gate, that they had fixed and painted, and the decals are waiting to be put on, and the plastic trim.

carfax is getting faxed over in a few mins.

Edit, got the secretary on the phone, and she is cool to deal with.. She says it was stolen, and that its a new one. I believe her by the way she talks. She's sending carfax and canadian tire report, and she said it wouldn't be a problem to sched. an appointment with a GM dealership for another inspection. So that sounds better.

5G_celica
09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
well if it all checks out I'd leave the decals off. I prefer the no decal look. but that's just me.

if you're serious about buying the truck and you need some one to quickly test drive the car I can do a quick 10 min test drive for you. I'm driving a car I just bought back from vancouver sunday morning. that's if they can meet me off of the highway somewhere. I need to get back to calgary and catch the season premiere of entourage.