PDA

View Full Version : where to rent a metal detector? or any other way to find a land marker?

Thaco
09-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey, My brother lives out of town and he was told by the county that he's got more land than is actually fenced off, the farmer left some outside his fences so the owner could drive around the property or whatever if necessary... my brother wants to reclaim this land and fence it, problem is, we don't know where the property markers are, there are supposed to be pieces of rebar marking t he back corners, but looking through thick canola for a small piece of steel that's probably buried, isn't exactly my idea of a good time... any inexpensive ideas how to find this thing?

4DoorGTZ
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Easiest way would be call a survey company, with a plan in hand finding 4 corners (assumption) would take all of about a half hour.

On your own.... without a plan or anything to measure off of would be hard. Depending if its against a road, road allowance, widened road or even a highway you could have 2-4 pins 5.06m apart from the ditch to the actual corner of his lot.

With a plan and a pin finder should be only a half day deal if you're lucky.

Reason it might be prudent to get a surveyor..... If the pins are missing a surveyor will know, you will just keep looking in the right spot and find nothing.

QuasarCav
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Can they give you geographic coordinates? Find them with GPS.

TKRIS
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
If you need help getting a dimensioned legal plan, PM me and I'll help you out.

narou
09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
rogers rent-all

Thaco
09-04-2008, 11:49 AM
thanks for all the suggestions, i'll see if he's got the coordinates, i should eb able to use my garmin, or borrow my friends geotracker garmin or whatever it's called, to find the exact location, though I'm not sure i trust their accuracy.

Originally posted by TKRIS
If you need help getting a dimensioned legal plan, PM me and I'll help you out. i think he's got the legal plan, it's just finding out where he sits within that plan that's the hard part, he knows he has some room on either side, it's just a matter of how much room...

TKRIS
09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
A legal plan will show where property pins were put in.

Typically, legal surveyors aren't going to pin every corner of every lot.
He might have to find a couple pins, and then measure over to them to find the dimensional intersection to determine where his lot corner is.

Thaco
09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
A legal plan will show where property pins were put in.

Typically, legal surveyors aren't going to pin every corner of every lot.
He might have to find a couple pins, and then measure over to them to find the dimensional intersection to determine where his lot corner is. yeah, we're thinking/hoping they pinned at least one of the back corners, we know where the front line is, since it's right on the highway, he's x meters back from the highway, i dunno right now, but i know he's got the number.. we just need one of the back spikes and then we can measure the rest.

I figure if we can get the coordinates then we at least have a general idea of where to look for the pin.