PDA

View Full Version : iphone 3g: GPS and Voice dialing

jazzyb
09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
hey Guys,

anyone able to get gps to work without data plan?

and how the hell do you voice dial, or use voice commands?

after jailbreaking, what other interesting apps can i throw on, besides snes psx?

tia!

dr_jared88
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
i dont think you can use gps with data on an iphone. it isnt true gps. its data assisted gps.

Zero102
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM
All sorts of interesting apps, start with bossprefs, very handy if you don't have a data plan (you can kill both 3G AND EDGE, unlike what Rogers says you can do).
GPS works fine without a data plan, but like normal GPS it needs a view of the sky. I had data fully disabled on mine and GPS worked fine outdoors. After playing with it the data usage counter still showed 0/0, so either it doesn't use data, or the usage counter is fucked.

So far I have installed winterboard, terminal, ssh, moon phase, flashlight, a bunch of wedict addons and a couple other toys I can't think of right now.

Hacked iPhone apps are much more fun, but let's not raise that issue here since it is highly illegal and apple is trying to crack down on it hard.

Thaco
09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
the gps without data is useless, while it does not use the data for actual gps, it does download the maps from google.

jazzyb
09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
well ther is a way for the maps!

it can be done by reaidn this link..it works good, but you still have to load directions in a wifi area!

bah

http://www.touchpodium.com/2008/04/13/view-google-maps-locally-with-maps-offline-01/

spiceboy
09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
All sorts of interesting apps, start with bossprefs, very handy if you don't have a data plan (you can kill both 3G AND EDGE, unlike what Rogers says you can do).
GPS works fine without a data plan, but like normal GPS it needs a view of the sky. I had data fully disabled on mine and GPS worked fine outdoors. After playing with it the data usage counter still showed 0/0, so either it doesn't use data, or the usage counter is fucked.

Zero, so you had to install a 3rd party GPS software on your iPhone for it to work, right? As other people are saying, Google Map came with iPhone and you definitely need a dataplan (or Wifi) to load its maps. What other 3rd party GPS software are you using? What aboout the more popular ones like TomTom? Compatible with iPhone?

Zero102
09-16-2008, 12:21 AM
I must have downloaded the maps and such off my wifi now that I think about it. I was still new with the phone at the time :)

I am not aware of any "good" iPhone GPS apps, but there certainly are a handful in the apps store. Nothing that has the functionality of google maps though.