PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on cell phones

B18C
09-10-2003, 11:14 PM
I'm looking to get a good cell phone with Rogers. I want something durable and that has very good reception. I want it to be pretty small too. Is this too much to ask? I want a good cell phone because I'm thinking of getting rid of my land line.

Thanks.

Weapon_R
09-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Not too much to ask. Best phone for reception is the Motorola V60. I've had a lot of cells, but the V60 beats them all out for reception and clarity.

04blackMAX
09-10-2003, 11:21 PM
not rogers..just my opinion

dj_honda
09-10-2003, 11:22 PM
v60gi...just got mine....its awesome. i have never had any real problems with rogers at all and i have been a customer for 3 years now. i mean you wont get reception in the basement of a u of c building or anything, but i have yet to experience dropped calls etc that everyone talks about...

buh_buh
09-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Although the reception on my V60i is still shitty, it is still better than the V66 and the Nokia I had. So my guess is that Roger's sucks ass (which I already knew). So I'll give another thumbs up to the V60

roopi
09-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Well if you haven't signed up with Rogers yet I suggest you condsider looking at your options.

If you insist on GSM then either Rogers or Fido. If you stay in the city then I say go with Fido because it is a much stronger network. If you travel out of the city often and want GSM then go with Rogers. There are holes in the network but look for it to improve as the 850 portion of the network rolls out. So if you decide to go with Rogers GSM I suggest the v60i (GSM) or a dual-band phone (850 and 1900) so you can take advantage of the new frequency when it is up and running. The V60i is tri-band but it operates on 900/1800/1900 and only 1900 is used in North America.

Now if you don't care about GSM or TDMA but want to be on Rogers right now TDMA is a stronger network I suggest the V60i(TDMA version). But remember Rogers has moved to GSM so all their $$$ is being dedicated to GSM and there will be no improvements to the TDMA network.

Now if you want the best rural coverage possible with a limited selection of phones that you will see every second person with goto either Bell or Telus. They are both the same since they share the same network.

Any network you chose you can run some version of the V60 or V60i and they are very good phones as you can see from everyone. They aren't that flashy but they get the job done.

Hopefully the V600 will be just as durable as the V60 then we can have the best of both worlds with all the extras. It should be available in early October and the estimated price right now is $400.00 USD.

B18C
09-11-2003, 06:12 PM
So you guys think the price of the V60i will come down once the V600 comes out? I think I can wait until october if that's the case. The only thing I don't like about the v60 is that it doesn't have an alarm.

Also, what's the difference between the V60i and V60gi?

roopi
09-11-2003, 06:35 PM
The v60i has an alarm.

The price has started to drop since Rogers has released this phone. Also Fido will be releasing the phone as well within the next 2 weeks so this will cause a price drop as well. I think Fido plans on offering the phone for $250 without activation and $150 with activation. That's just a rumour though.

RiCE-DaDDy
09-11-2003, 07:18 PM
when is the upgraded GSm network coming out?

5.9 R/T
09-11-2003, 09:37 PM
6590i

I've been using it for about 3 weeks now, reception is awsome and so is the battery life. Its dual mode, small, and has an alarm.

I swore off Nokia two years ago but after 3 seperate 'lemons' from Motorola(not the V60 series), the last one ending in a fit of rage with the smash of a hammer, I had to choose the lesser of two evils. So far it's worked perfectly for me, just another option if you are not fond of the V60.

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6590i

gongSHOW
09-11-2003, 10:30 PM
I got a question, i'm looking to get a T68i or a Nokia 6800 is the nokia worth the extra 175 bucks?

B18C
09-20-2003, 03:36 PM
So is the V60 better than the V66? The girl I talked to at Rogers said that they are basically the same phone except the the v60 is silver and the v66 is charcoal. Same reception and everything.

CRX-R
09-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX
not rogers..just my opinion

:werd: Rogers is a NIGHTMARE, and Telus isn't that great either, I've been with both, now with Bell though and I have no complaints. BUT Rogers is horrible

xkon
09-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by CRX-R

:werd: Rogers is a NIGHTMARE, and Telus isn't that great either, I've been with both, now with Bell though and I have no complaints. BUT Rogers is horrible

everybody says that... Ive been with rogers for 8 years now and have no complaints... they give me a new phone every year, and the plan im on is cheap with lotsa minutes...

gpomp
09-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by B18C
So is the V60 better than the V66? The girl I talked to at Rogers said that they are basically the same phone except the the v60 is silver and the v66 is charcoal. Same reception and everything.

AFAIK, the V66 is a bit newer but the V60 should be better. The big differences is that the V60 has the external screen and the V66 has a better UI. I think the V60 is a little bigger too.

B18C
09-26-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't want to beat this to death but does anyone have any other comments on the V60i? I'm going to probably pick one up in the next couple of days.

gpomp
09-26-2003, 02:21 PM
I got a V60i (CDMA). Works fine for me... good reception and good sound quality.

roopi
09-27-2003, 03:38 AM
I don't want to beat this to death but does anyone have any other comments on the V60i? I'm going to probably pick one up in the next couple of days.

Old school phone. Get with the times! :rofl:

J/K. I'm just saying that because I moved on. But if you have some cash to spend look into the S200. I've had one for a few days and I am very impressed with the sound and reception. The size beats the V60i as well. It doesn't feel as durable though since it isn't metal but they are both good phones.

If you go with the V60i you won't regret it.

Roadrage
09-29-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm looking to get a good cell phone with Rogers. I want something durable and that has very good reception. I want it to be pretty small too.

Sounds like an oxymoron with Rogers

B18C
09-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Old school phone. Get with the times! :rofl:

J/K. I'm just saying that because I moved on. But if you have some cash to spend look into the S200. I've had one for a few days and I am very impressed with the sound and reception. The size beats the V60i as well. It doesn't feel as durable though since it isn't metal but they are both good phones.

If you go with the V60i you won't regret it.

I want to take a look at the S200 but I can't find one. I went to the Roger's store in Bonniedoon and Futureshop and neither of them have Samsung phones for Rogers.

roopi
09-30-2003, 11:41 PM

I want to take a look at the S200 but I can't find one. I went to the Roger's store in Bonniedoon and Futureshop and neither of them have Samsung phones for Rogers.

Yeah you're not going to find this phone through Rogers or Fido. You'll have to either buy it privately or through a cellullar phone shop. Dealers don't carry these but they might in the future.

Actually you might want to check out some 'chinese' rogers dealers because they tend to carry alot of phones that Roger and Fido don't offer. I'm not sure if it is like that in Calgary but I know in Vancouver and Toronto alot of them are like that.