PDA

View Full Version : Website software for pictures

GoChris
09-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I want to put up a family photo album. I need the website software to be very easy to upload photos so my wife can do it as she takes new ones. Something that will let her create new albums and such and add comments. Even something that might have a desktop interface to do it. Maybe the desktop software creates the photo album online, I don't care.

Any suggestions?

Zero102
09-04-2008, 11:43 PM
For my web photo gallery I use plogger. Lots of people use coppermine and other galleries but this was the most intuitive one for me. Everybody's opinion will be different but I found plogger really easy to set up and use.

chengj
09-05-2008, 12:15 AM
If you're not needing/wanting to host it yourself and are willing to pay a bit, I've heard very good things about SmugMug.

Grogador
09-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Check out "Gallery" you can host it yourself or have it packaged with a hosting package/control panel... it's really slick... and you can upload various different ways.

lint
09-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Check out Picasa from Google. Desktop application makes it really easy to sort and do simple editing. Can link into your gmail account and post directly to your web gallery. Couldn't be simpler for sharing photos.

em2ab
09-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
Check out "Gallery" you can host it yourself or have it packaged with a hosting package/control panel... it's really slick... and you can upload various different ways.
:werd: I run Gallery on my site and have it embedded in Wordpress. Check out www.danmaher.com and click Pictures to see if you like how it looks. It'll embed in Joomla too if you want to go that route.

GoChris
09-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna check these out later today. I will be hosting it on my own space since I have unlimited pretty much everything for a couple bucks a month. That way I can attach my domain to it.

chengj
09-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Since you're hosting yourself, one more option to consider: ZenPhoto.

Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/) ( & Gallery2) has a much longer list of features while ZenPhoto (http://www.zenphoto.org/) is clean and simple.

Buffalo Soldier
09-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I use http://www.kodakgallery.ca

You can edit and print photos, then have them mailed to you. I got like 60 standard photos printed for like 12 bucks including shipping.

Good deal:thumbsup:

GoChris
09-05-2008, 02:18 PM
alright so I quickly installed gallery2. I'm a bit confused on how it's supposed to work. I created a regular user, I login and I'm at an "album" of which it says it is empty. I do not see how to upload photos.

But that's not my main issue, it appears that it's setup more for allowing each registered user their own gallery. I don't want to host a gallery site for users.

So later I will test another one mentioned, plogger perhaps is next, because gallery2 is lacking in setting security features such as who can create albums, etc.

chengj
09-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Gallery definitely isn't lacking in features... they're there, somewhere (I can't remember off the top of my head). You should be able to set the permissions for various types of users for your gallery/album. (Public gallery, user can view, user can comment, user can create, users can admin, etc...).

As for uploading photos, there are number of ways to do it. You'll probably want to start by going in to the admin panel and poke through there. Many of the features are set up as individual plugins (for example: allowing uploading from their desktop client). If there's a feature you think should be there, but isn't I'd check the plugins section first.

http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Quick_Start_Guide

em2ab
09-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
alright so I quickly installed gallery2. I'm a bit confused on how it's supposed to work. I created a regular user, I login and I'm at an "album" of which it says it is empty. I do not see how to upload photos.

But that's not my main issue, it appears that it's setup more for allowing each registered user their own gallery. I don't want to host a gallery site for users.

So later I will test another one mentioned, plogger perhaps is next, because gallery2 is lacking in setting security features such as who can create albums, etc.

Did you look at the link I posted? Lacking in features is one thing Gallery2 definitely isn't, it can work either as a user gallery or as a personal gallery. Just click Site Admin on the top right and it'll bring you into the control panel where you can change the themes, user access, security and everything you want. And once you're logged in, go back to your gallery and there should be a sidebar with all your options on it for add/edit photos. It even has the Windows application you're looking for where you can upload pictures right from your desktop. Slideshow features, random photo highlights, just PM me if you have any questions about it, I've been using it for 4 years and have been all over the Menalto forums.

GoChris
09-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Did you look at the link I posted? Lacking in features is one thing Gallery2 definitely isn't, it can work either as a user gallery or as a personal gallery. Just click Site Admin on the top right and it'll bring you into the control panel where you can change the themes, user access, security and everything you want. And once you're logged in, go back to your gallery and there should be a sidebar with all your options on it for add/edit photos. It even has the Windows application you're looking for where you can upload pictures right from your desktop. Slideshow features, random photo highlights, just PM me if you have any questions about it, I've been using it for 4 years and have been all over the Menalto forums.

alright, I used a self install my hosting had to install it, maybe it didn't do the latest version, who knows. I'm going to redo it from scratch myself and recheck. but ya I see it should have everything I need, I might not just be going through the right admin options.

I am interested in integrating it into a CMS like wordpress, which I've very briefly used before so I might question you on that cause that'd be slick. It's for a family album website so having some blog posts would be helpful.

bball2
09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I've used coppermine before, but nowadays flickr works for just about everything :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just saw that you're going to be integrating that with wordpress, try out NextGen gallery:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nextgen-gallery/

Everything is done through the wp-admin interface.

em2ab
09-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

alright, I used a self install my hosting had to install it, maybe it didn't do the latest version, who knows. I'm going to redo it from scratch myself and recheck. but ya I see it should have everything I need, I might not just be going through the right admin options.

I am interested in integrating it into a CMS like wordpress, which I've very briefly used before so I might question you on that cause that'd be slick. It's for a family album website so having some blog posts would be helpful.

That link I posted has it embedded in Wordpress, it's simple. I'm here if you need me.