PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Importing from the US - recall letter

Go_Lancer_Go
09-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey, Im looking to import a Mitusbishi from the states

I have 2 quick questions...

1. RECALL LETTER - soooooooo mitsubishi USA is trying to charge me $350.00...wtf!?! is there anyway around this? RIV said, i can use an authorized dealership but it comes in a different format, I need an internal printout or vehicle inquiry form, i called the service desk and they dunno what im talking about, they said they jus print out a sheet w/ the vehicles info on it. I never knew it was gonna freakin cost 350.00 to get a letter!

2. TEMP INS/REGISTRATION - Now I know that I get insurance here before I leave(I have that already setup) and I also know that in alberta, since the car isnt plated, I can get a in-transit sticker.
BUT..
what do i do in the states???

Thanks!

Eleanor
09-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow < 44411

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/jaymez-importing-from-the-states-thread-/

Go_Lancer_Go
09-05-2008, 11:43 AM
^^ thanks i read that forum...

4WARNED
09-05-2008, 11:49 AM
You will have to pay the $350 charge for the letter - no way around that one. be thankful it's not a BMW...

As for insurance, you'll need it on the car regardless - call your insurance company with the VIN and add it to your policy..

.....and plates, you'll need to get a temp paper permit from the state DMV you purchased the car from to get you north to the border and an in-transit paper plate from AB for the trip from the border north to Edmonton...

:thumbsup:

nbaker00
09-05-2008, 11:49 AM
1) No way around it. Pay the $350.. I'm sure you'll save that much vs buying in Canada. Am I correct?

2) Drive on a temporary tag there... I see them all over the place in the US. Or you COULD drive without anything... Your call.

markswiss74
05-15-2010, 10:35 AM
hello everyone

for those who are having trouble getting a bmw recall letter, i can get them. if you're interested email me

[email protected]

:thumbsup:

Moe Man
05-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Has there been any recall work done to the car from a US dealership? If so you can ask them to provide you with a print out on what recall work has been done and if there is any current open recalls. This letter is all you need to get your federal inspection form, and its free!

I had the owner do the recall work before i got there and so i had a recipt from a ford dealer in CA. Then I called them and simply asked them for a letter stating that there is no open recalls left on the vehicle.

and with in 3 mins I had a letter faxed to me. $0

There is ways around not paying anything, you just have to be smart about it.

also RIV lists 3 different ways to get a recall clearance letter. And if anyone tells you the letter has to have the manager sign it is talking out of there ass.

911fever
05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
Has there been any recall work done to the car from a US dealership? If so you can ask them to provide you with a print out on what recall work has been done and if there is any current open recalls. This letter is all you need to get your federal inspection form, and its free!

I had the owner do the recall work before i got there and so i had a recipt from a ford dealer in CA. Then I called them and simply asked them for a letter stating that there is no open recalls left on the vehicle.

and with in 3 mins I had a letter faxed to me. $0

There is ways around not paying anything, you just have to be smart about it.

also RIV lists 3 different ways to get a recall clearance letter. And if anyone tells you the letter has to have the manager sign it is talking out of there ass.

The joke above you rebumped this thread. I was confused when I saw that tool Nbaker in this thread