PDA

View Full Version : $50 Million Wasted!

roopi
09-11-2003, 03:06 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/09/09/offbeat.lottery.reut/index.html

Oh yeah don't forget to get your Super 7 for friday. It's 15 million.

Super_Geo
09-11-2003, 05:06 AM
:eek:

Hahhahahhahaa... if I were the person, I'd hope I never find out.

Dj_Stylz
09-11-2003, 06:23 AM
Damn!!!! Thats alot of money!!!

yankeefan
09-11-2003, 07:41 AM
think theyd give it to charaties or put it all towards education or something. but noooooo the sob uncle sam pockets it all

/////AMG
09-11-2003, 08:19 AM
lol, yankeefan its America...

But thats alot of money, If it was my i'd pull my hair out

403Gemini
09-11-2003, 01:16 PM
omg i would never wanna find out... id hang myself

E36M3
09-11-2003, 01:50 PM
That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Lotteries in the United States are used to generate funds for education. If you bothered to educate yourself before opening your mouth, I think the whole world might benefit.

For your reference:

http://www.flalottery.com/lottery/faq/faqs.html#faq13

Don't make Canadians look bad by shit talking Americans when you have no idea what you are talking about. There are plenty of things to shit talk that are actual problems.

Originally posted by yankeefan
think theyd give it to charaties or put it all towards education or something. but noooooo the sob uncle sam pockets it all

403Gemini
09-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Lotteries in the United States are used to generate funds for education. If you bothered to educate yourself before opening your mouth, I think the whole world might benefit.

For your reference:

http://www.flalottery.com/lottery/faq/faqs.html#faq13

Don't make Canadians look bad by shit talking Americans when you have no idea what you are talking about. There are plenty of things to shit talk that are actual problems.

like the RIAA :D lol :thumbsup:

yankeefan
09-11-2003, 02:13 PM
being from New York, I understand totally what the lottery is around for. it does go towards education. I was just saying you'd think theyd put that money into the education system.

you here nothing but storys about music programs closing and schools having to cut atheletic programs cause they dont have the budjet. 50 million would pay for an awful lot of music teachers or pay alot busdrivers to transport kids to athletic events.

I mean mine and alot of peoples property taxes go up(and im not complaining) I understand it goes to education and thats fine. but just saying 50million could go along way to keeping or starting alot of teachers jobs.

I wasnt shit talking my fellow countrymen;) I was saying I didnt agree with how that money was spent. And I have every right to do so

E36M3
09-11-2003, 02:19 PM
I don't understand how that means that it is 'going into Uncle Sam's pockets'. The money does go to education, and if the education system is wasting it, that is a separate issue.

Canada (at least Alberta) has the same problem. Tons of education money is wasted on the massive beauracracy that has been created to run the system. It is complete bullshit that over 50% of Alberta's (as an example) education budget goes to administration, and that has got to change.

I thought you were some smart ass Canadian mouthing off Americans. I'm not even American, but it still drives me nuts to see ignorant generalizations, although in this case I guess it was a misunderstanding.

Originally posted by yankeefan
being from New York, I understand totally what the lottery is around for. it does go towards education. I was just saying you'd think theyd put that money into the education system.

you here nothing but storys about music programs closing and schools having to cut atheletic programs cause they dont have the budjet. 50 million would pay for an awful lot of music teachers or pay alot busdrivers to transport kids to athletic events.

I mean mine and alot of peoples property taxes go up(and im not complaining) I understand it goes to education and thats fine. but just saying 50million could go along way to keeping or starting alot of teachers jobs.

I wasnt shit talking my fellow countrymen;) I was saying I didnt agree with how that money was spent. And I have every right to do so

ACS-e36
09-11-2003, 02:25 PM
holy shiet! thats us currency too....

yankeefan
09-11-2003, 02:29 PM
"The $50 million returns to the lottery, which uses it for special promotions that ultimately boost sales, Griffin said. "

I understand the advertising and promotions do boost sales. but lottery is religon for alot of people. its not like people are gunna stop playing the lotto if it wasnt promoted more.

every night on the news have to hear storys of school programs closing. wouldnt it be a good promotion for the lottery to throw that 50 million into education? I mean that would be a pretty good promotion and would get alot of good press from that.

I was just ribbing the government. didnt mean for it tobe taken as I was bashing them:)

yankeefan
09-11-2003, 02:58 PM
I honestly thought it was more like 50cents to the prize pool, 48cents to education and 2cents for other things. 38cents each dollar seems alittle low to education in my opinion. considering with those numbers 37cents goes to the government, 38cents to education and 25cents of each dollar goes to the winner. now before someone jumps on my figures I took taxes into account. just thinking outloud really. dunno if those numbers are totally accurate.

bart
09-12-2003, 01:52 PM
dont forget though, about half is taxed.

girlRACER
09-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Oh yeah don't forget to get your Super 7 for friday. It's 15 million.

Speaking of which...what time do they announce the numbers? :D
hehe...I bought a ticket for Super 7.

CRXguy
09-12-2003, 04:07 PM
10pm tonight! :D Or you can check www.wclc.com if you're anxious like me. LOL

*fingers crossed*

girlRACER
09-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
10pm tonight! :D Or you can check www.wclc.com if you're anxious like me. LOL

*fingers crossed*

No $15 million for me :( Anyone else have any luck?

roopi
09-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Well I spent $12 on tickets today and I won 4 free tickets. So I'm down $4! :(

I hope no one else won the jackpot though so I have a shot next Friday with my free tickets! :D

CRXguy
09-12-2003, 11:46 PM
Fawk!

I totally forgot to buy some tickets during work. :( Hope no one won this week.

roopi
09-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Fawk!

I totally forgot to buy some tickets during work. :( Hope no one won this week.

No one won. Next jackpot is $17,500,000!