PDA

View Full Version : Vietnamese Subs

B18C
09-05-2008, 11:57 PM
I was hungry today and was down by the Auto Mall. I see this sign at the Fast Gas station on Heritage for Vietnamese subs. Against my better judgement I decided to give it a try. What the heck, why not.

$4.99 later for an assorted sub and I was AMAZED! It was so good. I couldn't believe it. So for you guys down by Dearfoot Meadows, I would give the Fast Gas a try if you get the craving for Vietnamese subs and don't want to drive too far.

Who would have thought!

gqmw
09-06-2008, 12:00 AM
It's good compared to other viet sub places or just good considering where it is?

eglove
09-06-2008, 12:03 AM
probably doesn't compare to thi thi

B18C
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I haven't had thi thi's for a while and I was really hungry but it was right up there.

I dont' know about there other subs though (sate beef, etc) but the assorted was good enough for me to write about.

Ajay
09-06-2008, 01:45 AM
I've eaten there a few times. Their subs are always top notch and I think it is comparable to Thi Thi and Thai Thai.

They do have sate beef and chicken as well. I always get the chicken and it's DAMN good.

Tik-Tok
09-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I've looked at this place a few times, it used to be a Subway, which kind of made me leary of going in.

nonlinear
09-06-2008, 08:35 AM
i'm was a big fan of La Cay across from T&T. they used to have the $3.50 sub + pop special. we went in there a couple of months ago, though, and there was a lot less meat on the sub than I remember, and i think they also raised the prices.

they don't have the $3.50 special signs any longer, but still give you a free pop if you ask for a drink.

anyone else find that this place is skimping on the meat these days, or did i just go on a bad day or something?

Isaiah
09-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
anyone else find that this place is skimping on the meat these days, or did i just go on a bad day or something?

Maybe it was prepackaged - there's less going around.

R!zz0
09-06-2008, 09:13 AM
There is a place across Stampede Toyota where icon tint is...Don't know what the place is called but, they have the best subs.

dino_martini
09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I went into Atomic the other day, and they make a pretty good Beef Sate sub.

BoS_DC2
09-06-2008, 11:48 AM
There's a place in Forest Lawn near the 7/11 & Lucky's Supermarket complex called "Saigon" something that makes the best beef safe sub.

Wonder if it's still there..

beyond_ban
09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Saigon Y2K right across crowchild from McMahon Stadium... :drool:

ronaldo
09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
kim anh are still the best viet subs ive tried in this city

npham
09-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Apparently you don't go out much.

SprayGUN
09-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by B18C
I was hungry today and was down by the Auto Mall. I see this sign at the Fast Gas station on Heritage for Vietnamese subs. Against my better judgement I decided to give it a try. What the heck, why not.

$4.99 later for an assorted sub and I was AMAZED! It was so good. I couldn't believe it. So for you guys down by Dearfoot Meadows, I would give the Fast Gas a try if you get the craving for Vietnamese subs and don't want to drive too far.

Who would have thought! I used to eat subs there all the time. The viet girls that work there don't wear much clothing in the summer, boobies jiggle while they put topping on the sub. Om nom nom. I love to go there.

beyond_ban
09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by npham

Apparently you don't go out much.

Apparently you enjoy the taste of penis

aklalani
09-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
There is a place across Stampede Toyota where icon tint is...Don't know what the place is called but, they have the best subs.

+1
i think it was called "Toms Subs" or something. they changed there name but their subs are pretty amazing

hadookin
09-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by eglove
probably doesn't compare to thi thi

what are you comparing thi thi to? I know half a dozen places that make fresher, tastier, more authentic subs than them.

thi thi's popularity is mostly based on their location

dj_rice
09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Its either Thi Thi or that one place inside the strip mall beside the old Treasures of China in Chinatown...I think its called Thanh Long or Thanh something....

Sucks I dont know where to get a Viet sub in Edmonton :cry: :cry:

van
09-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking about opening up a Vietnamese Sandwich Franchise. Good lord it's my favorite thing to eat on Bolsa in Garden Grove. There's about a Lee's Sandwich everywhere by now haha.

http://www.leessandwiches.com/

It's so cheap to get too and they have their own special blend of 'Cafe Sua Da' haha.

ringer
09-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ronaldo
kim anh are still the best viet subs ive tried in this city

agreed :drool:
something about the cheese they put on it.

HybridTheory
09-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Thi Thi's subs are tasty. There was also this place I used to go to in high school...it's on 17th ave right beside the KFC. Can't remember what it's called though :dunno:

imjimmylin
09-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I've only had Thi Thi subs before but from the sounds of it I need to be going to kim anh.

Proboscis
09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
i'm was a big fan of La Cay across from T&T. they used to have the $3.50 sub + pop special. we went in there a couple of months ago, though, and there was a lot less meat on the sub than I remember, and i think they also raised the prices.

they don't have the $3.50 special signs any longer, but still give you a free pop if you ask for a drink.

Same here, I love that place. I go 2 times a week and always buy two beef saté subs at a time. Oh and didn't I mention the cute girls there :)

adam c
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM

the hell that place is horrible, i wouldn't even call it vietnamese... it's more some westernized asian food for fat people too lazy to travel and poor university students

diamondedge
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Banh Mi/Deli Saigon, Forest Lawn, next to Lucky.

Been eating them for at least 5 years, maybe longer :D

Does anyone love the pate on your banh mi? I mean ever since I was little there has (and frankly) always will be pate on my sub. It adds to the cold cuts with a warm silky meaty taste.

Then you add your crunchy carrots and cucumber, fsck, I want one NOW and I had one YESTERDAY haha.

eb0i
09-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by van
I'm thinking about opening up a Vietnamese Sandwich Franchise. Good lord it's my favorite thing to eat on Bolsa in Garden Grove. There's about a Lee's Sandwich everywhere by now haha.

It's so cheap to get too and they have their own special blend of 'Cafe Sua Da' haha.

Lee's sandwiches is decent, but their bread doesn't seem as good as it used to . There are other's around that Westminster/Garden Grove area that are better now. What I love is picking up the fresh loafs of french bread that are still nice and hot from the oven :drool:

pinoyboy88
09-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Proboscis

Same here, I love that place. I go 2 times a week and always buy two beef saté subs at a time. Oh and didn't I mention the cute girls there :)

Serious? Do they go there to eat or do they work their? I always go there and frankly the only ladies I see are they old ones who make the subs....

hampstor
09-09-2008, 08:16 AM
My Tho (a vietnamese butcher shop) over off of Memorial / 28th Street SE. They make their own roast pork and their own BBQ pork and it's amazing on a sub :drool:

Anyone know where in the NW I can get a decent viet sub? I'm probably just a newb up here, but it feels a bit culturally bland as far as food goes :dunno:

dj_rice
09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Anyone know where in Edmonton I can get a semi-edible Vietnamese sub?Or a Vietnamese grocery store so I can buy the meat and bread and make it myself..

npham
09-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Apparently you enjoy the taste of penis

Hey not my fault you haven't gotten the taste of asshole out of your mouth to experience food that isn't fit for my dog; by dog I mean that bitch of a woman that you call mom. Go refill her water dish and try some other places for real Vietnamese food.

dj_rice
09-09-2008, 09:38 AM

Hey not my fault you haven't gotten the taste of asshole out of your mouth to experience food that isn't fit for my dog; by dog I mean that bitch of a woman that you call mom. Go refill her water dish and try some other places for real Vietnamese food.

:rofl: :rofl: :eek: whoa simma down

van
09-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Anyone know where in Edmonton I can get a semi-edible Vietnamese sub?Or a Vietnamese grocery store so I can buy the meat and bread and make it myself..

http://www.edmontonrestaurantguide.com/saigongivralsubs

Try at your own risk, I just googled it.

beyond_ban
09-09-2008, 11:19 AM

Somebodies boyfriend didn't let them finish...

dj_rice
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by van

http://www.edmontonrestaurantguide.com/saigongivralsubs

Try at your own risk, I just googled it.

Menu Items

A14. Caesar Salad - Romaine or Head Lettuce, Parmesan Cheese, Croutons with Creamy Caesar Sauce. 4.50

A15. Chicken Caesar Salad - Chicken, Romaine or Head Lettuce, Parmesan Cheese, Croutons with Creamy Caesar Sauce.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks Van

van
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
A1-A5 mang!! do it up!!

n1zm0
09-09-2008, 11:34 AM
did anyone goto the one at 88 supermarket in the 'Lawn', i dunno if it's still there (the grocery store and the sub deli thing), but it was on the way out from the cashier stalls and they used some sort of liver pate or something like that, soooo good.

nj2Type-S
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
My Tho (a vietnamese butcher shop) over off of Memorial / 28th Street SE. They make their own roast pork and their own BBQ pork and it's amazing on a sub :drool:

Anyone know where in the NW I can get a decent viet sub? I'm probably just a newb up here, but it feels a bit culturally bland as far as food goes :dunno:

my tho makes decent roast pig but their subs aren't that great. it's dry and the bread is always so hard, lol.

CRXguy
09-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by van

bastard! their cafe sua da is addicting. i was there first thing in the morning, since our hotel was nearby, and then a few more times when we went to phuc loc tho or however you spell it. that food court is the best for vietnamese food.

jahobo
09-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
Banh Mi/Deli Saigon, Forest Lawn, next to Lucky.

Been eating them for at least 5 years, maybe longer :D

Does anyone love the pate on your banh mi? I mean ever since I was little there has (and frankly) always will be pate on my sub. It adds to the cold cuts with a warm silky meaty taste.

Then you add your crunchy carrots and cucumber, fsck, I want one NOW and I had one YESTERDAY haha.

mmm i love that place, maybe its cause i went to forest lawn and ate there many many times, but its just damn good ol fashion vietnamese subs.

they did raise their prices though but thats inflation for ya.

and the pate mmmmmmmmmmmmm, i used to go to gong ky for bbq pork and bun king bakery for the bread and make bbq pork subs with the pate. im hungry now see you guys later

nonlinear
09-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Proboscis

did you notice them giving out less meat than usual? or did i just hit them on a bad day?

hampstor
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
bump -

looking for a good viet sub in the NW. Any recommendations?

DJ_NAV
09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Oriental Dallas by Crowchild Inn is not bad.

GQBalla
09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
bump -

looking for a good viet sub in the NW. Any recommendations?

theres a place in bowness area near the batting cages just off 16th.

never been there yet, but DJ rice says they are for subs more

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/263560/review-mai-linh-vietnamese-restaurant/

npham
09-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

theres a place in bowness area near the batting cages just off 16th.

never been there yet, but DJ rice says they are for subs more

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/263560/review-mai-linh-vietnamese-restaurant/

These subs are not that bad, or good. They are average in and out. But sometimes it's easier to go here or also another place down the street, which I can't remember the name(next to a ski shop) than drive downtown to fight traffic and parking to get some Thi Thi. The place next to the ski shop is pretty decent too, but they don't give you a lot of meat. However, I think they put on peanuts which is pure win.

nonlinear
09-18-2009, 08:51 PM
any opinions on the viet subs at Bake Chef in Mac Hall? i get them once in a while. they are OK. i certainty don't claim to be an expert in viet subs, but would like to hear opinions from others who really know their subs :) but i still really like La Cay, just cause they're so effin' cheap :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dj_rice
09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
any opinions on the viet subs at Bake Chef in Mac Hall? i get them once in a while. they are OK. i certainty don't claim to be an expert in viet subs, but would like to hear opinions from others who really know their subs :) but i still really like La Cay, just cause they're so effin' cheap :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just throwing this out there but have you played the the idea of making the Vietnamese subs homemade?You can buy the meat from some Viet submarine shops, the bread from Luckys or T N T and make the pickled carrots at home, this way you can control the meat content and veggie content and etc to your liking :thumbsup: and Hampstor, you should do this also unless your lazy :rofl:

signature7
09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I eat bake chef from time to time at UofC, it's alright, but I prefer La cay over it. Something about it makes it not Vietnamese to me.

Disoblige
09-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by signature7
I eat bake chef from time to time at UofC, it's alright, but I prefer La cay over it. Something about it makes it not Vietnamese to me.

Bake Chef is alright haha.. I'd only eat the spicy beef, because I can only tolerate that on a soft bun. Otherwise, I'd prefer the bread to be slightly more crisp.

diamondedge
09-20-2009, 01:22 AM

Just throwing this out there but have you played the the idea of making the Vietnamese subs homemade?You can buy the meat from some Viet submarine shops, the bread from Luckys or T N T and make the pickled carrots at home, this way you can control the meat content and veggie content and etc to your liking :thumbsup: and Hampstor, you should do this also unless your lazy :rofl:

Omg I love the carrots, can't get enough of it in my subs. Get it from Banh Mii Saigon where the veggies are separate, go home, toast that bitch and PILEEEE on the carrots.

Bake chef needs the same baguettes, then I'd be sold.

msouther
09-20-2009, 10:09 AM
"Omg I love the carrots, can't get enough of it in my subs. Get it from Banh Mii Saigon where the veggies are separate, go home, toast that bitch and PILEEEE on the carrots."

I get mine from Thi Thi by Harry Hays, but I do the same thing. Take them home and finish them off the way I like them. Mmm. I usually get 1 chicken and 1 beef and polish them both off. Very filling and feel like crap after, but the journey is awesome.

dirtsniffer
09-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2
There's a place in Forest Lawn near the 7/11 & Lucky's Supermarket complex called "Saigon" something that makes the best beef safe sub.

this place is the best!!!! a hole in the wall but seriously the best sub ever.. the last time i was there was a year ago anyone know if its still there?

diamondedge
09-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

this place is the best!!!! a hole in the wall but seriously the best sub ever.. the last time i was there was a year ago anyone know if its still there?

went to Lucky yesterday, it's still there.

Numi
09-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Thi Thi's subs are tasty. There was also this place I used to go to in high school...it's on 17th ave right beside the KFC. Can't remember what it's called though :dunno:

i know the place your talking about.. pink and teal building? You cant really miss it lmao. Awesome subs though.

dj_rice
09-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Numi

i know the place your talking about.. pink and teal building? You cant really miss it lmao. Awesome subs though.

Does the front have a big set of stairs?And they have a freezer where you can buy dim sum items also?

hampstor
09-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Numi

that would be My Xuan i believe. They're known for their vietnamese sausages. You'll find their stuff in lots of stores, used in restaurants and places that make subs.

dj_rice, i've made my own before... however it's hard for me to plan in advance the craving im going to have for lunch :nut:

xxxazntigerxx
09-23-2009, 09:58 PM
forest lawn one by the 711 best sate ever

Isaiah
09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
The one beside Dairy Queen in Bowness isn't bad. Tried it yesterday evening as we were in the area and had read about it here. THe subs were pretty good and the bubble tea wasn't bad either. The owners were really friendly.

szw
09-25-2009, 09:07 AM

I make my own often because the viet subs in Toronto are not as good as Calgary ones (but they are cheaper...avg of like $1.75 a sub).

I use viet sausage rolls and sometimes use meat recipies from here: http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-make-banh-mi/recipes-meat/banh-mi-recipe-black-pepper-pork/

I pickle my own carrot and daikon but I'm having trouble finding a good vietnamese pate or that weird butter/oil mixture they use. Anyways I think its cheaper for me to just buy them than it is to make them but its kind of fun trying to perfect it.

Lucky97
09-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2

yep its still there. probably one of my fav

Kritafo
09-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
The one beside Dairy Queen in Bowness isn't bad. Tried it yesterday evening as we were in the area and had read about it here. THe subs were pretty good and the bubble tea wasn't bad either. The owners were really friendly.
Thanks I have been wondering about that place and the one further down bowness road, I think it's lily's?

nonlinear
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
hrm, i don't think i would EVER make my own viet sub... not because i couldn't, or anything, but because I seriously don't think they're THAT great. i mean, they are OK when i'm looking for a cheap snack, or am in a major rush and don't want mcdonalds, but seriously... MAKE IT AT HOME???

that's like telling me to make subway or a cottdam big mac at home! i would just never, ever consider doing that. i mean, i eat at those places, but it's certainly not food that i "like" enough to make at home hahah

about the only shit like that I would ever attempt is White Castle sliders from Top Secret Recipes - and only because I grew up eating them in the states hehe.

Kritafo
09-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I will be in Detroit in the next 3 weeks...ahh White Castle here I come. I love the jalapeno cheese ones...As a family we may attempt the crave case. But I have seen people eat a whole case themselves. So off topic but white castle was mentioned.

dj_rice
09-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I will be in Detroit in the next 3 weeks...ahh White Castle here I come. I love the jalapeno cheese ones...As a family we may attempt the crave case. But I have seen people eat a whole case themselves. So off topic but white castle was mentioned.

Du ma anh con cuc

Disoblige
09-26-2009, 12:24 AM

Du ma anh con cuc

HAHAHAHA

Kritafo
09-26-2009, 12:33 AM
well tell me what it means at least.

diamondedge
09-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Du ma anh con cuc :rofl:

nonlinear
09-26-2009, 12:00 PM
fuck you guys, tell us what it means!!!! or we're gonna have bust out the secret white man talk. then the tables will turn, so we can talk amongst ourselves and laugh at you guys for being so "dumb."

:poosie:

bourge73
09-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Yup that place is pretty good not amazing but not many choices in the NW and the people are very freindly, sometimes her pretty hot daughters are working which is a definate plus!

Weapon_R
09-26-2009, 12:13 PM

:barf:

Ugh...eating anything in Detroit pretty much guarantees a "special sauce" additive to your food.

max_boost
09-26-2009, 01:46 PM

It's definitely not going to be anything flattering considering after GTS_Jeff, dj_rice is your 2nd biggest fan. :D

Kritafo
09-26-2009, 01:58 PM
gee really, so why say it all at? Let alone do it so I can't read it.

Manhattan
05-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Was at the La Cay's in the NE over the weekend. Price were jacked up to $4/sub. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was still $3.50. Is the place in forest lawn next to Lucky's still open? And how much are their subs?

flamboyant
05-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Was at the La Cay's in the NE over the weekend. Price were jacked up to $4/sub. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was still $3.50. Is the place in forest lawn next to Lucky's still open? And how much are their subs?

I believe its $4.50 each

Sorath
05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
thi thi is still the best by far

EvolizePhoto
05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I want a real sub. Real pieces of beef. Not this shredded beef crap that thai thai sells that doens't even taste like real meat. Who has it? la cay used to but their food started sucking bad lately i used to eat there religiously

colinxx235
05-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

It's definitely not going to be anything flattering considering after GTS_Jeff, dj_rice is your 2nd biggest fan. :D

All I could gather from the Iphone app was that it is vietnamese and says "something something brother" from there it wasn't hard to assume what it probably says hahahha :D

G
05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Something to the effect mother fing cock***

CRXguy
05-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by G
Something to the effect mother fing cock***

I think he spelt cock wrong. LOL

The way dj_rice typed it out is motherfucking eat shit. :rofl:

Saigon's Sub by Lucky's is $4.50 for Sate beef and $4.00 for assorted. I just remember cuz that's what I usually order. :thumbsup:

dj_rice
05-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

I think he spelt cock wrong. LOL

The way dj_rice typed it out is motherfucking eat shit. :rofl:

Saigon's Sub by Lucky's is $4.50 for Sate beef and $4.00 for assorted. I just remember cuz that's what I usually order. :thumbsup:

Best subs are in this shop that is right beside what used to be the Treasures of China in downtown but now is some East Indian buffet restaurant. Their called Thanh Binh something. Then Saigon Sub is 2nd best and then 3rd would be Thi Thi.

No no, Eat shit is this un gut

What I typed is motherfucker eat a dick. Dick = cuc

Shit = gut

Go eat shit = đi ăn cứt

Thanks for joining us for your daily Vietnamese lesson, come back again soon.

diamondedge
05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
^^ :rofl:

Saigon... had some Dac Biet subs a few weeks ago, time to swing by again! :drool:

toyboy88
05-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
thi thi is still the best by far

dj_rice
05-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
I want a real sub. Real pieces of beef. Not this shredded beef crap that thai thai sells that doens't even taste like real meat. Who has it? la cay used to but their food started sucking bad lately i used to eat there religiously

If you want real pieces of beef for the satay, CRXguy said the place, Saigon Sub along same strip mall as Lucky's. Real pieces of beef. That place is 2nd best. They have an awesome BBQ Pork balls sub. Damn I miss Calgary. AND the best part is, if you order I believe it was 5-6 subs you get 1 free. Don't listen to Chinese guys recommendations for Vietnamese sub places. Listen to the Nammer DJ Rice, I know my shit. I'm so Nammer, I don't drink water, I drink nuoc mam

nonlinear
05-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Go eat shit = đi ăn cứt

EDIT: dammit, doesn't work in my "what i drive"

Manhattan
05-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Do they actually have viet subs in 'nam or is it like sweet and sour pork for chinese?

dj_rice
05-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Do they actually have viet subs in 'nam or is it like sweet and sour pork for chinese?

They do, and its nothing like here and 100x better. And did you know, Vietnamese subs are not in fact Vietnamese, it was introduced by the French when they occupied Vietnam, hence why they're made with French Bagettes.

Manhattan
05-27-2010, 11:02 PM
^^

Yeah i knew that part. I think its the french blood that makes viet girls so hot haha. :poosie:

How much is a sub in nam?

dj_rice
05-27-2010, 11:04 PM
^^

Yeah i knew that part. I think its the french blood that makes viet girls so hot haha. :poosie:

How much is a sub in nam?

That question I do not know as when I was there my parents paid for everything with their Vietnamese dong. I remember a can of Coca Cola was like 10 cents Canadian. A bowl of pho was maybe $2 IIRC.

flamboyant
05-27-2010, 11:11 PM
^^

now that you mention it.. a lot of attractive viet models have some frenchie in them LOL

ahmm yeah. fuck yeah! viet subs

diamondedge
05-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Bump.

Just came back from Banh Mi Saigon with this:
(Obligatory apology for crappy phone pics)
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn453/zDiamonDEdGe_/DSC00145.jpg

Take and toast, topped to my desires. Fuck it was good.

dj_rice, you eat any good subs in Edmonton yet? Compared to Saigon or Thi Thi?

dj_rice
05-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Since I've moved to Edmonton, since I don't know where the go to spots are, I haven't had any subs yet here. I ventured out to Noodle 42 for Pho Dac Biet and OMG horrible. So after that, haven't had any Vietnamese here.

I had homemade Viet sub though since I just came back from Calgary for long weekend, I went to Saigon Sub and bought a pound of the assorted meat, sliced some carrots and did my own sour pickling sauce and then went to Superstore for some sub rolls, not quite as good but still hit the spot

Redwagon
05-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Best pho in Edmonton is Pho Tau Bay at 10660 98 St.

Best Viet Sub is just a couple shops down at Van Loc at 10648 98 St.

LongCity
06-01-2010, 04:36 AM

No no, Eat shit is this un gut

What I typed is motherfucker eat a dick. Dick = cuc

Shit = gut

Go eat shit = đi ăn cứt

Thanks for joining us for your daily Vietnamese lesson, come back again soon.

None of this makes sense, by the way.
Un is not eat.
Shit is not gut.
Dick is not cuc.

Dick is cu or chim.
Shit is cứt.
Eat is ăn.

dj_rice
06-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by LongCity

None of this makes sense, by the way.
Un is not eat.
Shit is not gut.
Dick is not cuc.

Dick is cu or chim.
Shit is cứt.
Eat is ăn.

đi ăn cứt is what I wrote. I wrote the un and gut for english pronunciation. As for as cu/chim for dick, from my understanding, cu is a lil kids way of saying penis.

Not sure if it is different for Northern/Southern Nammers. I'll let hampstor chime in

Also, went to Van Loc for subs on Saturday. I got the Banh Mi Thit Nguoi and some pork meatball sub, very nice people behind the counter with grandma wrapping the green desserts and grandpa running the till but as for the subs, the assorted sub did not have much meat, IIRC it was 3 slices of meat only, 1 of each kind. No pate, just mayo, hardly any carrots. As for the pork meatball one, it was very dry. Saigon Sub is my first destination when I get back to Calgary, I needs me some BBQ Pork Balls sub

And I went to Van Loc on Saturday for Viet subs, grabbed a Banh Mi Thit Nguoi and some pork meatball sub. Very nice people behind the counter, with grandma wrapping the green desserts and grandpa doing the til

Speed_69
06-01-2010, 12:25 PM
This is my viet sub list:

1st - Trung Nguyen (in Chinatown)
2nd - Kim Anh (on 17th ave sw)
3rd - Thi Thi (in Chinatown)
4th - Saigon Subs (Forest Lawn)

Thi Thi use to be my number one choice but I've found that it just doesn't taste like it use to anymore..don't know what they've changed or if my tastes have just changed :dunno:

dj_rice
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Trung Nguyen, is that in the shop right beside the east indian restaurant where Treasures of China use to be? Cause I think thats the place I'm thinking of.

Manhattan
06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Trung Nguyen, is that in the shop right beside the east indian restaurant where Treasures of China use to be? Cause I think thats the place I'm thinking of.

Word. I'm there twice a week. The lady making subs is super nice and speaks like 4 languages (Canto, Mandarin, English and Viet?)

They've got the best assorted subs in town. I still prefer the beef sate at Thi Thi right around the corner. The chicken subs at Trung are too saucy and sour for my taste.

Integra10
06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Listen to the Nammer DJ Rice, I know my shit. I'm so Nammer, I don't drink water, I drink nuoc mam

/Thread

Speed_69
06-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Word. I'm there twice a week. The lady making subs is super nice and speaks like 4 languages (Canto, Mandarin, English and Viet?)

They've got the best assorted subs in town. I still prefer the beef sate at Thi Thi right around the corner. The chicken subs at Trung are too saucy and sour for my taste.

Yup she speaks all 4 languages. She is indeed very nice. The guy is really nice too.