PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping ALL the time

bignerd
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Does anyone else feel like they have to sleep ALL the time? During the week I go to bed about 12:30 or 1:00, get up at 8:00 for work. Get home at 5:30 and am usually napping from 7:00-10:00. Weekends are even worse, I am literally only awake about 5 hrs a day on weekends.

My bloodwork is always normal, have even been tested for Celiac disease but that was negative . I have currently started supplementing with a daily vitamin and some small amounts of iron . This is not depression and I have a spouse who is ticked about it.

Any ideas? Someone said to join a gym? As excercising gives you more energy, helps you sleep better. I realize I go to bed a little late and that may be part of the issue but I think there is more than that.

dannie
09-06-2008, 09:57 PM
My guess is that the sleep you are getting is not a "good" sleep. I would try supplementing with B12 to calm your brain a little. I know for me, when I don't sleep properly the B12 helps a lot. I would also suggest more than a little Iron. People underestimate their iron needs.

I would also look at your sleeping habits directly. Do you wake up in the middle of the nite? Do you wake up tired in the morning? How do you sleep? You said your spouse isn't too happy about this, could that person be getting in and out of bed to go to the washroom and waking you up?

I would also research foods that are good for brain function ie: fish, strawberries etc.

Going to the gym for exercise is a good idea, but if you arent excercising right now, maybe do something simple like a walk after dinner. Take your spouse out with you too. Start simple and analyze whats going on.

Just some suggestions that have worked for me.

JAYMEZ
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
What are you eating? You might be running on sugars and caff . That would cause you to feel tired alot

LadyLuck
09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
i sleep every chance i get, but thats because i work alot.
I try to squeeze in a nap every once in a while, but on weekends if i have nothing planned i can sleep for 14 hours straight.

I worked 18 hours yesterday, got to bed at 2am and woke up today at 4pm, but thats all because i dont get enough sleep ever lol.

Canmorite
09-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Interested in this topic too. Getting up in the morning is a bitch, and I always feel nappy..

LadyLuck
09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Getting up in the morning is a bitch, and I always feel nappy..

amen to that.

It doesnt matter if i get 12 hours of sleep, getting up at 7am is really hard for me.

bignerd
09-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I do eat too much sugar-I know this and have been trying to cut back. I don't drink a lot of caffeine, maybe 4 drinks a week?

I can supplement with more iron and B12 although my bloodwork indicated my levels are normal. I have actually only started supplementing with the iron as I read it can help. At this point I am ready to try anything. The only abnormality in my bloodwork was somewhat high cholesterol (I am not heavy or large though so it was suprising) and I do not think this is a cause of being tired?

Like I said at this point I am willing to try anything.

Darkane
09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Lol willing to try anything? Quite being so lazy.

You claim your blood work is fine. That's that, no depression. So just stay awake.

Fuck I used to love sleeping but I wouldn't nap and sleep for 14 hours strait! Now I'd rather be awake. I only sleep so I can recover from the gym.

broken_legs
09-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I have this problem intermittently.

The times I have it the worst are when:

1.) I start reading Beyond at 10 pm when I know I should go to bed.

2.) I start thinking about driving turbo charged cars around

3.) When I eat a huge meal with lots of bad carbs (ie white bread, white pasta etc,,,) late at night

The times when I can wake up at 5am without issue are:

1.) When im dieting and cutting carbs, sugars, bread all that out

2.) Working out at the gym at 5am

When im eating low carb i don't get the afternoon crashes and need the 3pm or after lunch nap.

r0g3r
09-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Princess*Precid

amen to that.

It doesnt matter if i get 12 hours of sleep, getting up at 7am is really hard for me.

yea... thats why whenever I have 8am classes I never make it to them, I try so hard to get up during that time... but since its not like a job, I don't have incentive to get up...

97'Scort
09-06-2008, 11:22 PM
If you ever had mono, you could have something called "Chronic fatigue syndrome."

TaiChino
09-06-2008, 11:24 PM
meth, try meth. jj

bignerd
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

You claim your blood work is fine. That's that, no depression. So just stay awake.

Fuck I used to love sleeping but I wouldn't nap and sleep for 14 hours strait! Now I'd rather be awake. I only sleep so I can recover from the gym.

Well it must be nice for you, you make it sound like it is easy to "quite" napping and sleeping for 14 hours "strait"!! Maybe if you slept more you could spell a little better?

Weapon_R
09-06-2008, 11:27 PM
This might sound weird, but maybe you're getting too much sleep. This can keep you drowsy all day. I've found that 6-7 hrs for me keeps me up all day but anymore than 9 hrs and I feel pretty groggy the whole day.

UndrgroundRider
09-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Seen this a hundred times. My guess is that you need a more active lifestyle. Try the gym after work. It'll take a while for your body to get use to it, but within a week you'll feel like you have way more energy and I bet you won't sleep as much.

LongCity
09-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Also if you're awaken abruptly in the mornings by an alarm clock, it leaves you more tired during the day; even when getting an adequate amount of sleep. Alarm clocks usually wake you up when your body isn't ready but then you'd always be late for whatever it is that you need to do if it doesn't.

Trini
09-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
This might sound weird, but maybe you're getting too much sleep. This can keep you drowsy all day. I've found that 6-7 hrs for me keeps me up all day but anymore than 9 hrs and I feel pretty groggy the whole day.

I can testify to this

Kloubek
09-07-2008, 12:34 AM
I have the same problem op. Sometimes I can't stay awake at my desk. I've even fallen asleep during a meeting right beside the president of my company. Believe me - I TRIED to stay away.

I make periodic trips to Kamloops, and I find it difficult to stay awake during the 6+ hour trip. I've dozed off more than once - and I most certainly don't choose to fall asleep while driving highway speeds!

I too have had bloodwork done, and it came back perfect. I eat a "somewhat" healthy lifestyle. Even if I consistantly get 8 hours sleep for 2-3 weeks, it doesn't help.

I admit I am not working out these days. But when I was, it did help a little during the day, but I was still ready to sleep when I got home.

If you find out what is going on, let me know bro.

Darkane
09-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

Well it must be nice for you, you make it sound like it is easy to "quite" napping and sleeping for 14 hours "strait"!! Maybe if you slept more you could spell a little better?

Thank you for correcting me. Did you notice even though grammatically incorrect, I still managed to get my message through to you?

It sounds to me like you don't have very many ambitions. Do you smoke "the pot"?

Dude honestly, go have a 24 hour sex marathon with your spouse and quit sleeping so much.

EDIT: Should have posted this in the morning, you'll be sleeping by now. Darn. :poosie:

eb0i
09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Sleep Apnea?

Sleeping too much? Quality of sleep not good enough perhaps?

I'd try and be more active though.

bignerd
09-07-2008, 01:02 AM
I do not participate in any illegal or non-prescription drug use.

For the poster a few above, yes I did have mono when I was a teenager quite badly and I do remember sleeping lots, having a bad fever and losing weight, although it seems I recovered. This heavy sleeping/napping seems to come in waves. I can get up to make it to work and am generally quite alert most days at work, however at home if I sit on the couch or lay down on the bed I am guaranteed to fall asleep for several hours.

I have mentioned this to several doctors and never really had a satisfactory answer from any of them. My most current doctor is the one who ran all the bloodwork and Celiac screen but they dismiss my concerns when the bloodwork is normal.

I was considering possibly the gym as some have mentioned as well as perhaps visiting a naturopath(I have never been to one before). I am tired of sleeping away holidays and weekends etc...

bignerd
09-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think I have sleep apnea, I snore lightly (so I have been told) but do not wake myself at night. I also sleep all through the night and do not wake up for trips to the bathroom etc... Once I am asleep I sleep like a log-whether it is a night or just napping.

What type of workout at the gym would be most beneficial? Weights or just all around cardio, little bit of everything?

tabouli
09-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I didn't read any previous posts.

Some people are just naturally predisposed to sleeping more or less than average. I have experience with lots of people on both ends of the spectrum, and I'll bet everyone else does too. You all know the guy who sleeps too much and is always late & lazy ... Then there are guys who run on 3-6 hours of sleep all the time.

Always getting high off of something will ruin your rest habits too.

no_joke
09-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Eat right. Live right. Sleep right. I think you're wasting your time with all these tests. You go to bed at 1:00 and get up at 8:00 but need 3 hours of nap time before bed. And then you sleep all day on weekends. This adds up to one fucked up Circadian rhythm. Your body doesn't know when to be tired and when to be alert. If you need to get up at 8:00 for work, get to bed by 22:00. Don't sleep in so much on weekends. Get some exercise and take a look at your diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian

UndrgroundRider
09-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by no_joke
Eat right. Live right. Sleep right. I think you're wasting your time with all these tests. You go to bed at 1:00 and get up at 8:00 but need 3 hours of nap time before bed. And then you sleep all day on weekends. This adds up to one fucked up Circadian rhythm. Your body doesn't know when to be tired and when to be alert. If you need to get up at 8:00 for work, get to bed by 22:00. Don't sleep in so much on weekends. Get some exercise and take a look at your diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian :werd:

Also, make sure you are not drinking lots of pop or caffeinated drinks.

You also mentioned feeling tired after work/dinner. I would regulate the size of your meals. It's a known phenomena that eating large meals causes your digestive tract to put a high demand on your circulatory system and draws blood away from your brain. Ultimately making you tired. If you're skipping breakfast in the morning, and eating a light lunch you may be overeating during super to compensate. This can have a bigger impact than you might think. Your body will produce a lot of adrenaline when you are not eating for most of the day, then stop completely when it produces insulin during digestion. This drop in adrenaline could account for the wave of fatigue, in addition to the other factors I mentioned.

Eating sugary foods will also contribute to fatigue, as you will experience large swings in blood sugar levels. Make sure you're eating lots of protein, since a lot of carbs will also cause your body to experience energy swings.

The best advice is just to try to live a completely healthy life style for a week. Be more active, eat more frequently, eat healthier and stay away from sugars.

If you're still not sleeping right, get your thyroid function checked. That's the next most common ailment that causes fatigue.

msouther
09-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I read and skimmed through a lot of the posts and one poster mentioned fish and things that are good for the brain. I take 4/1065 mg Omega 3 pills before bed and I have found that I sleep the whole night through since then. There are some exceptions, but it does help. Something easy to try!

Supa Dexta
09-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah too much sleep.. I'm a bag of shit when I get used to getting 8-9+ hrs every night.. When I get 6-7 instead I'm way better off.. I may take a nap on the couch for 20mins before supper, but I still do better all day...

~Leah~
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Cut the nap out. I know you're tired, but drag your ass to the gym and even just walk on the treadmill or ride the bike while you're watching tv... just to do something active.

I used to be in your position, and at times I still am, but as a single mother now, I really don't have time to complain and make excuses like chronic fatigue syndrome, or seasonal affective disorder. I know it's harder to suck it up when you don't have a reason to suck it up, but you need to. My guess is you're a chronic procrastinator too, correct?

What you need to do is just live a healthier lifestyle. No excuses, just do it. Take vitamins -- I just started again with a multi, some extra vitamin B, and some St. John's wort which helps with restless sleep. I feel great (although I start work for the first time in a year on Monday so we'll see how I feel in a few days lol). Eat right, cut back on that sugar, get to the gym for even half an hour to start out with and DO NOT NAP!!! Just go do something and get to bed earlier.

E36M3
09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
If you are willing to try anything, go in for a sleep apnea test. Many people with sleep apnea do not realize that they are waking up in the middle of the night. Someone very close to me suffered with it for many years and treating the sleep apnea made a massive impact on their life.. they had no idea at all that they were waking up hundreds of times per night.

I'd also seriously consider learning more about depression.. this could easily be a symptom and could potentially be addressed by medication.

I don't think I have sleep apnea, I snore lightly (so I have been told) but do not wake myself at night. I also sleep all through the night and do not wake up for trips to the bathroom etc... Once I am asleep I sleep like a log-whether it is a night or just napping.

What type of workout at the gym would be most beneficial? Weights or just all around cardio, little bit of everything?

max_boost
09-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Cut the nap out. I know you're tired, but drag your ass to the gym and even just walk on the treadmill or ride the bike while you're watching tv... just to do something active.

I used to be in your position, and at times I still am, but as a single mother now, I really don't have time to complain and make excuses like chronic fatigue syndrome, or seasonal affective disorder. I know it's harder to suck it up when you don't have a reason to suck it up, but you need to. My guess is you're a chronic procrastinator too, correct?

What you need to do is just live a healthier lifestyle. No excuses, just do it. Take vitamins -- I just started again with a multi, some extra vitamin B, and some St. John's wort which helps with restless sleep. I feel great (although I start work for the first time in a year on Monday so we'll see how I feel in a few days lol). Eat right, cut back on that sugar, get to the gym for even half an hour to start out with and DO NOT NAP!!! Just go do something and get to bed earlier.

Wow.....:werd: except for the single mother part! :eek:

t_soarer
09-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Try these....helped me develop a second wind for when I get home from work:

- Don't eat past 8 pm (and eat somewhat healthy)
- Eat a good breakfast
- Workout at least twice a week
- Get 7 hours of sleep per night and go to bed at the same time everyday

Hope that helps :)

Melinda
09-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Is this a recent problem or something that has been going on for a while? If you're willing to spend some money or get on an 18 month waiting list (the foothills hospital will cover cost if you go through their clinic but it's a long wait) then there are some fantastic sleep clinics in this city. My husband had a much worse sleep issue than you and they were able to figure it all out and essentially "fix" it in just a few weeks. Even if you don't actually have a problem they will probably be able to help you figure out what area of your life needs to change to be able to make your life run a little easier. The private clinic appointments are free via AHC but any trials or tests (an overnight diagnostic stay, oxygen machine rental, etc) are all at your cost.

I totally see where your wife is getting upset, it is VERY frustrating to lose your S/O to sleep all the time, or at least it was for me when we didn't know what was wrong. Now that we do, I'm a hell of a lot more understanding. Good luck, sleep issues are some of the most difficult ones to live with.

em2ab
09-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Try changing your diet or exercising.

Exercising - I find I'm a lot more lathargic now that I'm a little overweight from the lack of sports recently and I just want to lay around. And as I'm laying around, I just want to sleep. A few years ago when I was hitting the gym every day I'd be sat on the couch and felt like just getting up and going for a run. Why? I don't know, I just couldn't sit down, I had to move. I didn't want to run but I had crazy energy just because I was carrying less weight around with me all day and I was less lathargic from exercising regularly. I just had excess energy.

Diet - Your diet has a lot to do with your energy levels during the day, you should increase your potassium and iron intake (I think.....I'm not a doctor). I know iron is a big one for me, I keep dried fruit on my desk at work and eat that for iron, it keeps me more alert instead of writing code that looks like:

sub main()
{
if sleepy then
sleep()
end if

if not sleeejklaealkhajh;flhdhfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

You get the idea. Don't be one of the people that just accept they're fat/tired/whatever, take a look at your habits and maybe even see a dietician.

matsloan
09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Did the blood tests check for kidney failure? Did they do a urine sample at the same time?

TKRIS
09-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm tired all the time too, but it's inactivity for me. once I start going to the gym again, I'll be fine. If your lifestyle is similar to the way mine's been lately (sit on a chair for 9 hours, then sit on a couch for 4), I'd wager the same holds true for you.

Homeopathy and naturopahy are wallet thinners, nothing more.

If someone told you naturopathy would work, the best advice I can give you is to avoid taking advice from that person ever again.

schmooot
09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
try to sleep only as long as 1.5 hour increments.
That is our general sleep pattern. For instance set your alarm so that you only sleep for 4.5 or 6 or 7.5 or 9 hours. Each of these periods is a complete sleep phase.....every time you wake up in the middle of one of these phases you lose the whole phase worth of rest. If your alarm clock consistently wakes you up in the middle of one of these periods then losing the entire phase every night catches up to you very easily.

Also try not to eat anything for at least 3 hours before going to bed

van
09-08-2008, 01:39 PM
You're like my girlfriend, if she wakes up at 10:00am after sleeping at 11:00pm she'll need a nap in the afternoon for an hour two.

Like a lot of people have said I find getting up a few hours earlier in the morning than you're used to and going for a walk/run is beneficial. It gives you a surge of energy to help you through your day at work. I know you said at work you're fine but you'll see how much of an improvement your body is taking in when you do this.

When you get home from work don't take a nap -- this is what ruins your sleep at night. Instead of a nap take a light walk or find some physical activity with your spouse to keep you awake. Watch some television, play some games, computer time, whatever. Just don't let yourself fall asleep no matter how tired you are.

I think if you keep doing this for a few weeks you'll start to adjust yourself.

DJ_NAV
09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I heard it goes in sets of 3 hours... so 3 hrs, 6 hrs, 9 hrs....

analbumcover
09-08-2008, 03:47 PM
get one of these

http://www.somnaform.com/images/man_solid_mini.jpg

Speedy
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Don't discount the sleep apnea just on the snoring...I was recently diagnosed after having seizures in the mornings from having low oxygen levels and I never snored. My family doctor referred me to a sleep clinic and its made a big difference.

It may not be sleep apnea but its worth talking to your doctor about.

rage2
09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I used to sleep 12+ hrs a day... I basically adapted my gf's schedule and literally just slept when she did and got used to it. It took a long ass time to "train" myself to sleep less. I basically went from 12hrs a day, to 10hrs a day the next month, 8hrs the next, 6hrs the next, then finally settled on 4hrs a day. Man I could get so much work done everyday with such little sleep.

I find that a powernap helps a lot. I basically sleep 4-5 hrs (ok I'm getting older, it's more like 5-6 nowadays) a night and after work I take a 15-30 minute nap. As long as you wake up from the nap, you'll be good to go till you go to bed again. The only frustrating thing is that on weekends when I want to sleep in, I just automatically wake up at 7am, and nobody's awake that early lol.

Oh ya, being active helps a lot. In the summers when I bike a lot, I don't even have to take a powernap. 4-5 hrs is all I need and I always feel awake. At work, I don't fall asleep during meetings if I bike to work. Makes a HUGE difference.

The worst part for me when I don't nap is around 10pm-11pm, when I fall into my "sleep window". If I can survive that, I'll last till the next "sleep window" at 1am and get a great night's sleep.

I seriously think it's just "training" to live off so little sleep.

max_boost
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I can get by on 6-7 hours sleep but 8 is best. Exercise makes a huge difference no doubt. I agree on the power nap, 20 minutes around 2:30pm and I would feel so good. Forget about energy drinks or coffee, power naps ftmfw!!

rage2
09-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Ya, I don't drink any coffee, and I don't drink coke till nighttime. Zero caffine in my system during the day haha.

I pretty much just drink water during the day.

Darkane
09-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Bingo. Who was it that only slept 20minutes every 4 hours? Leonardo Da Vinci I think. Gotta confirm that.

One of my Friends went through university sleeping 3-4 hours a night. Sometimes not at all lol.

bball2
09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I used to sleep 12+ hrs a day... I basically adapted my gf's schedule and literally just slept when she did and got used to it. It took a long ass time to "train" myself to sleep less. I basically went from 12hrs a day, to 10hrs a day the next month, 8hrs the next, 6hrs the next, then finally settled on 4hrs a day. Man I could get so much work done everyday with such little sleep.

I find that a powernap helps a lot. I basically sleep 4-5 hrs (ok I'm getting older, it's more like 5-6 nowadays) a night and after work I take a 15-30 minute nap. As long as you wake up from the nap, you'll be good to go till you go to bed again. The only frustrating thing is that on weekends when I want to sleep in, I just automatically wake up at 7am, and nobody's awake that early lol.

Oh ya, being active helps a lot. In the summers when I bike a lot, I don't even have to take a powernap. 4-5 hrs is all I need and I always feel awake. At work, I don't fall asleep during meetings if I bike to work. Makes a HUGE difference.

The worst part for me when I don't nap is around 10pm-11pm, when I fall into my "sleep window". If I can survive that, I'll last till the next "sleep window" at 1am and get a great night's sleep.

:werd: :thumbsup:

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. My sleep schedule hasn't been great lately so I gotta get back into things properly, but earlier this year I was great about waking up early / doing exercise and everything. For about a month I went to bed by 11, and awake by 4:30, then hit the gym or played basketball everyday for about an hour. I was way more productive and much less sleepy during the day. Really gotta try to get back into that routine.

t_soarer
09-12-2008, 12:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6354855.stm

Taking afternoon naps can lower your chances of getting a heart attack, so maybe it's for the better.

KRyn
09-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Amen brother, I only sleep 8 hours becuase my body needs it.

max_boost
09-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by t_soarer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6354855.stm

Taking afternoon naps can lower your chances of getting a heart attack, so maybe it's for the better.

Is it Mexico or some other South American country where it's mandatory that there is a 2 hour nap window? Everything shuts down and employees would then continue working until 7pm or so and then go home. I like that. 9-7, two hours for afternoon snooze.

E36M3
09-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Siestas are common wherever there are very warm climates. During the warmest parts of the day, people go home and sleep for a couple hours. It is a great pace of life.. I nap a couple hours in the afternoon almost every day and I think it is a great idea.

Originally posted by max_boost

Is it Mexico or some other South American country where it's mandatory that there is a 2 hour nap window? Everything shuts down and employees would then continue working until 7pm or so and then go home. I like that. 9-7, two hours for afternoon snooze.

semograd
09-23-2008, 02:27 PM
take melatonin. I dont sleep much but when I do It helps me feel more rested in the morning. Maybe your problem is that your not getting enough proper sleep. You need a certain amount of rem sleep every night and if you dont get that you could always be trying to catch up on it.

Supa Dexta
09-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I've never even tasted coffee in my life, and I regularly stay up for a day and a half or so when I need to. My last trip from edm to van island, I was up all day and then at like 8 at night I decided to hop in the car and go.. Drove straight there no prob.

shynepho
09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
I do eat too much sugar-I know this and have been trying to cut back. I don't drink a lot of caffeine, maybe 4 drinks a week?

I can supplement with more iron and B12 although my bloodwork indicated my levels are normal. I have actually only started supplementing with the iron as I read it can help. At this point I am ready to try anything. The only abnormality in my bloodwork was somewhat high cholesterol (I am not heavy or large though so it was suprising) and I do not think this is a cause of being tired?

Like I said at this point I am willing to try anything.

My buddy sort of had the same symptoms as you. He was always tired even despite the fact he got his fulll 8 hours of sleep and ate right. He got some blood work done about a month ago and his doctor told him he has high cholesterol and that his thyroid is not functioning properly which is why he's always tired. Now a few weeks of taking "synthroid" to deal with the thyroid problem he feels alot better. Maybe search it up or talk to your doctor.

He was also saying that if your thyroid is not functioning properly, that it can cause you to have high cholestrol.