PDA

View Full Version : HID...The right way...???

ekguy
09-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Want to get these done as soon as possible by a shop if possible. What's the right way to get them done so they don't blind every other car on the road. Would like these done right since I have a bit of a hard time seeing at night sometimes. (have alot of issues with my eyes)

Thanks for the input.

5fivespeed
09-07-2008, 01:06 AM
You too eh, where did you get your HID's?

ekguy
09-07-2008, 01:13 AM
I didn't buy. I want to know where I can bring the car and get this done the right way properly.

5fivespeed
09-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Probably Speedtech, I like the fact that they give everyone a chance in terms of service, parts and information. I belive that they can do a perfect job for you. I've never had anything done, but their cust. service compels me to promote them.

ekguy
09-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Thats what I was thinking. Anyone know what they would charge to get such work done.

403civic
09-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by 5fivespeed
Probably Speedtech, I like the fact that they give everyone a chance in terms of service, parts and information. I belive that they can do a perfect job for you. I've never had anything done, but their cust. service compels me to promote them.
ROFL! :rofl:

5fivespeed
09-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by 403civic

ROFL! :rofl:

Well no, ever rolled into Tunerworks with a rusted Corolla? A friend of mine did that, and the guy basically laughed in his face. Cust. Service is HUGE for me, and even though I haven't had any work, I've spoken with a lot of guys from Speedtech.

I talked to Will over the span of a month, about Rims and Tires - but ended up purchasing them from a private seller. Will gave me time, and patients - regardless of not buying from them, I was just "kicking tires" and quoting prices as well as getting information.

403civic
09-07-2008, 01:38 AM
I agree with you about Will, I also asked him for alot of prices and just kickin tirez but I can't say that with everyone eles that works there, more maybe I just go there on the days that everyone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. or maybe its cuz I'm just a stupid 16 year old kid

ekguy
09-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Well I'm hoping either place would give me the time of day if I went there. Although my car is a bit old...It's definitely not a piece, and it's definitely not rusty haha.

sh0ko
09-07-2008, 10:41 AM

Well no, ever rolled into Tunerworks with a rusted Corolla? A friend of mine did that, and the guy basically laughed in his face. Cust. Service is HUGE for me, and even though I haven't had any work, I've spoken with a lot of guys from Speedtech.

I talked to Will over the span of a month, about Rims and Tires - but ended up purchasing them from a private seller. Will gave me time, and patients - regardless of not buying from them, I was just "kicking tires" and quoting prices as well as getting information.

yea strd guys are great.. but i laugh at ur friend who also brought in a rusted corolla to tunerworks....can u blame them?! look at the customers they deal with.. most the wheels they sell are prob more expensive than your friends corolla alone

Isaiah
09-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko

yea strd guys are great.. but i laugh at ur friend who also brought in a rusted corolla to tunerworks....can u blame them?! look at the customers they deal with.. most the wheels they sell are prob more expensive than your friends corolla alone

I can absolutely blame them. It doesn't matter how many Lambos, Porsches, or Astons roll through there, the point is that if a customer brings in a car they need to treat that customer with respect regardless of what they are driving.

Like most businesses, Tunerworks has competition. If they don't treat their customers properly, then the customers will shop elsewhere. Not to mention that it's bad business practice and just plain rude. I'm not speaking from personal experience as I recently shopped there and was treated well; I'm just commenting on the post.

The 16 year old customer in the rusty Corolla may in a few years be a 26 year year old young executive with an Aston Martin and a shitload of disposable income to spend on it.

dawson13
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

I can absolutely blame them. It doesn't matter how many Lambos, Porsches, or Astons roll through there, the point is that if a customer brings in a car they need to treat that customer with respect regardless of what they are driving.

Like most businesses, Tunerworks has competition. If they don't treat their customers properly, then the customers will shop elsewhere. Not to mention that it's bad business practice and just plain rude. I'm not speaking from personal experience as I recently shopped there and was treated well; I'm just commenting on the post.

The 16 year old customer in the rusty Corolla may in a few years be a 26 year year old young executive with an Aston Martin and a shitload of disposable income to spend on it.

very good point

Pollywog
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

I couldn't agree more. I have been in the Automotive Parts industry for a little while now, and I can "somewhat" understand places like tunerworks attitude, but money is money - and I have been pissed off enough dealing with them over the phone (they buy supplies and the odd tools off of us) that I've decided not to go there. I bought some Eibach suspension from them, previous to knowing about speedtech.

Speedtech on the other hand didn't even know what I drove (should not matter anyways), and I still got top notch advice and service.

riced
09-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I will vouch for speedtech as well, I get the same shitty service from tunerworks more times than not, even though I've given them plenty of tries and each time it's crap.

Maybe I shouldn't blame it all on tunerworks, but the dude I was dealing with sure as hell wasn't accustomed to customer service.

In fact, I said.. hey I need a quote for some volks, the first question he asked me was - "what are these going on? a lexus?" I said a Civic and he's like oh.. well I'll call my guy and give you a call back asap. Did I hear back from him? Not a word.

HOWEVER, the many times that I have been in speedtech, there's usually a bunch of kids coming in, looking around, and leaving right away. It's hard to give kids who are looking to window shop some good customer service if they don't know what they want in the first place.

OP, alarmtec beside T&T honda is great for HID installs. However, the "RIGHT" way to do it is not to get PnP HID's. You'll glare and blind everyone no matter how low the HID's are. Retrofitting is an option for the right way.

Tuner1
09-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Well no, ever rolled into Tunerworks with a rusted Corolla? A friend of mine did that, and the guy basically laughed in his face. .

I have two rusty cars out back right now and more coming in next week. We have no bias about the type of cars that we sell parts to here at Tunerworks but we DO care about the quality of parts that we sell.

If you come in with an SL65 and ask for shitty parts you will get the same answer as asking for shitty parts for your 1985 XXXXXX.

I am sorry if your friend received less than perfect service during his visit to our shop. We are a small company that tries very hard to keep our customers happy and we will try do do better next time.

Good luck with the HID kit. Most of the kits on the market are pure crap, regardless of how fancy the box looks :rolleyes:

Rob

dj_rice
09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Alarmtec FTW, Sydney will hook you up

Khalil.e
09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
www.customlightz.com

1. Send headlights to the above for projector retrofit
(then wait to receive them)

2. Purchase HID kit, install into the newly retrofitted projectors

3. Voila, zero glare - razor sharp cutoff

5fivespeed
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Tuner1
[B

If you come in with an SL65 and ask for shitty parts you will get the same answer as asking for shitty parts for your 1985 XXXXXX.

I am sorry if your friend received less than perfect service during his visit to our shop. We are a small company that tries very hard to keep our customers happy and we will try do do better next time.

Rob [/B]

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you would classify as "shitty parts." My friend bascially had the sales guy, or whoever he is - laughed in his face. My friend wrote the letter to you, or a manager - don't know what happened then.

On the side note, thank you for the apology.

dj_rice
09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
If Speedtech won't do it and Alarmtec won't do it, then PM Brendan_4g63, IIRC his company GT HID was doing HID retrofits

Tuner1
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you would classify as "shitty parts." My friend bascially had the sales guy, or whoever he is - laughed in his face. My friend wrote the letter to you, or a manager - don't know what happened then.

On the side note, thank you for the apology.

There are so many shitty parts out there that I don't even know where to begin :banghead:

I am the manager and never received a letter about this but if your friend would like to discuss this matter in detail please tell him to contact me directly.

There is nothing to be gained by anyone in my organization laughing in someone's face and unhappy customers are not the kind that we like to have, although I am also realistic enough to realize that we will never be able to keep 100% of people happy 100% of the time.

Back to the OP's question, an answer can't be given without knowing the make, model and year of your car. FWIW, most kits are poor quality (read short life span!) and will annoy oncoming drivers (read dangerous!).

Rob

CivicDXR
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Khalil.e
www.customlightz.com

1. Send headlights to the above for projector retrofit
(then wait to receive them)

2. Purchase HID kit, install into the newly retrofitted projectors

3. Voila, zero glare - razor sharp cutoff

+1 :thumbsup:

My spare lights are going to them...

b18cr
09-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Want to get these done as soon as possible by a shop if possible. What's the right way to get them done so they don't blind every other car on the road. Would like these done right since I have a bit of a hard time seeing at night sometimes. (have alot of issues with my eyes)

Thanks for the input.

kk, its not all about the HID kit that you buy.. its more about a having projector headlights. projector beam headlights, will give you a sweet lookin cut off line, and a more controlled look

- as for buying a good kit, id say GTHID has wicked kits and super slim ballasts..

- theres really is no way installing a kit good, its just wires n shit, retro-fitting an projector beam on your non projected headlights is alright if you can manage to do so.. but a good install would be good soldered wiring, wiring cover, hiding the ballasts in a good spot ( i took my front bumper off and tucked them ), but if they're super slim no need to.. and a good shop will also have a headlight alignment machine and will align your headlights for you..

- some people install on normal headlights, and get the scattered look.. i installed a kit on my skyline, GTR N1 headlights non-projected.. at night it was scattered to shit, it would shine the signs on the side of the roads, and the pedestrian signs up above and just everywere. on the garage door also u can see the beam is just everywhere.

all in all
the right way, projected headlights, soldered wiring, hidden ballast, headlight alignment

FiveFreshFish
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by b18cr
all in all
the right way, projected headlights, soldered wiring, hidden ballast, headlight alignment

:werd:

It's almost always going to involve custom work and likely take more than an afternoon.

Results are definitely worth it.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581632&p=11072666

ekguy
09-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Tuner1 I have pm'ed you. I will also be hopefully going to you guys for a proper set of classy shoes for my legend since the fit your customers get seems to always be spot on.

I will be looking for some OZ's or something similar to set off the Legend.

By the way you asked for the make and model. It's a 91 Acura Legend Coupe.

Pm'ed you hope to be a customer soon for either one of my needs or both.