PDA

View Full Version : ShawHD/WinXP/Media Center Help?

CivicDXR
09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
got a question for all the Media Center guys out there or anyone that can help. We've currently got a Shaw HDPVR in the house hooked up to one TV in the house. I also have a PC hooked up via DVI->HDMI on another HDTV in the house that I've been using as a sort of media center type box. Is there a way to effectively turn the PC into a HDTV tuner so I can watch HD on that TV as well?

I was looking at getting something like this, or is there something better that would work?
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr1600.html

Thanks in advance!

Grogador
09-07-2008, 02:07 PM
You'd need another HD box or a CableCARD (don't think Shaw supports those) to decrypt Shaw's HD channels. That card you linked... see how it mentions "clear QAM digital channels"?? Well Shaw encrypts the HD ones and most of the others too, they're not "clear".

You could share your existing HD PVR box with firewire to the PC or just dvi/component with an IR blaster for control, but then you're stuck watching the same channel in both spots.

BlackArcher101
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I believe you are stuck with a box registered with Shaw.

CivicDXR
09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
that sucks... oh well, thanks for the help guys! guess its time to find a cheap HD box... =)

Xtrema
09-08-2008, 12:30 AM
You can hook up your Shaw HD terminal into your MCE PC via firewire. The PC will control it as Video capture device.

It works but I find it highly unreliable.

And no, Shaw has no plan to release anything for the PC.