PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor my race car ! ! :)

tom_9109
09-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Okay so heres the deal, I have decided to not put my RSX on the street anymore and build it to compete in class next season in road events. Who and where can I find some sponsors, I mainly need to get tires for the track, a cage, harness and a fuel cell. Beyond that there are definitely things that would improve the chances of winning however racing is the goal. Any suggestions / takers?

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
When you're building a car and looking to get sponsors they expect you to pay for 98% of the expenses and if you're lucky maybe you'll be able to get items at cost. Calgary doesn't really have any race leagues for the type of car that you have that offer any recognition or even have spectators. Not to sound negative but unless you are buddies with a shop owner or have a crazy rsx already then chances are slim to none of getting any sort of sponsorship. :(

tom_9109
09-07-2008, 07:57 PM
well I like to think the fact that I am throwing a car work between 15-20k into a strictly race car it may entice some sponsor to get involved because it isn't a pos.

schocker
09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Try this:
http://www.carsponsorships.com/

soloracer
09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
well I like to think the fact that I am throwing a car work between 15-20k into a strictly race car it may entice some sponsor to get involved because it isn't a pos.

Big deal. $15-20K for a race car isn't really all that much. A lot of guys have more than that in their engines. Besides you aren't "throwing" in a car for no reason. You expect to drive it don't you? You gotta pay to play - plain and simple.

In regards to sponsorship what's in it for the sponsor? What is your selling point? How much track experience do you have? I know if it was my business I wouldn't be too interested in sponsoring a back marker that was getting his ass handed to him by a so called "pos". Instead I would sponsor the "pos" because the cost would be lower and he's embarrasing a so called "nicer" car.

Ditch the attitude and listen to Redlyne. Then try and come up with a legitimate reason someone should sponsor you.

soloracer
09-07-2008, 09:38 PM
By the way, you are aware the track may not run next year - right? People expect it to still be in operation but I haven't heard anything definitive yet.

TomcoPDR
09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

Big deal. $15-20K for a race car isn't really all that much. A lot of guys have more than that in their engines. Besides you aren't "throwing" in a car for no reason. You expect to drive it don't you? You gotta pay to play - plain and simple.

In regards to sponsorship what's in it for the sponsor? What is your selling point? How much track experience do you have? I know if it was my business I wouldn't be too interested in sponsoring a back marker that was getting his ass handed to him by a so called "pos". Instead I would sponsor the "pos" because the cost would be lower and he's embarrasing a so called "nicer" car.

Ditch the attitude and listen to Redlyne. Then try and come up with a legitimate reason someone should sponsor you.

:werd: good post (minus the bitch slapping)

ercchry
09-07-2008, 10:16 PM
i would LOVE free tires and a cage! wow that would be awesome... but not likely, you would for sure have to have a friend or family member that owns a business that will sponsor your car, hell whole series have hard enough time getting worthwhile sponsors

GTS Jeff
09-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Big deal. $15-20K for a race car isn't really all that much.

:werd: Even most of the fanboi ricers spend that much on their shitty Civics and E36s. Cobbling together ebay turbos, SSAC headers, Neuspeed coilovers, and whatever else does eventually add up to a lot of money!

And ditto on the track experience. Not many people out there have enough track experience to even be competitive, and even then, to attract sponsors you've got to be better than the rest.

hampstor
09-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Okay so heres the deal, I have decided to not put my RSX on the street anymore and build it to compete in class next season in road events. Who and where can I find some sponsors, I mainly need to get tires for the track, a cage, harness and a fuel cell. Beyond that there are definitely things that would improve the chances of winning however racing is the goal. Any suggestions / takers?

Usually, you actually have to win, and win a lot before anyone will actually look at sponsoring you.

Why would anyone spend money to sponsor someone who can't win ?

TomcoPDR
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Usually, you actually have to win, and win a lot before anyone will actually look at sponsoring you.

Why would anyone spend money to sponsor someone who can't win ?

So their company name can be plastered over someone's practice vehicle.

88jbody
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
fuel cell $200
roll cage $600
do those out of pocket.

buy a couple sets of tires but talk a deal to get them cost+10% or something if you agree to buy x sets from them.

compete for a season or 2, get good point standings so you are at least doing well

then go back to said tire shop and see if they will give you a better deal, like 10% or 20% below cost to wear the shop name on the car.

good luck, it isn't going to be easy, especially in Calgary where we can barely keep a track open due to lack of money, intrest and sponser/advertising money spent at the local "track"

ercchry
09-07-2008, 10:38 PM
cage for $600? where?

Roaring G60
09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Body and alignment shop would be great places to try, Product a services are just as good as cash to a club level racer. especially the ones above for a production sedan. Oh and don't forget you also need a licensing school, nomex suit/underwear/gloves/shoes, helmet rated for a car racing and most likely a HANS as well...

Toms-SC
09-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I guess he has not gotten the memo about race city.

bituerbo
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
If you can afford to turn your 15-20k daily driver into a track-day car then do it. Race for fun and excitement.

What racing experience do you even have? Anybody who's been out to any kind of organized racing event knows how this shit works and you don't have a clue.

soloracer
09-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by 88jbody
fuel cell $200
roll cage $600
do those out of pocket.

buy a couple sets of tires but talk a deal to get them cost+10% or something if you agree to buy x sets from them.

compete for a season or 2, get good point standings so you are at least doing well

then go back to said tire shop and see if they will give you a better deal, like 10% or 20% below cost to wear the shop name on the car.

good luck, it isn't going to be easy, especially in Calgary where we can barely keep a track open due to lack of money, intrest and sponser/advertising money spent at the local "track"

For road racing a fuel cell is closer to the $1000+ range and the roll cage will be $2000 - $4000 depending upon what you get.

ercchry
09-08-2008, 12:31 AM
6-point cage with door bars plus:
A pillar gussets L&R (1.5" dimples)
B pillar gussets L&R (1.5" dimples)
X in rear
Harness bar for passenger

$1675

beat that :D

JAYMEZ
09-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Ive put over 30k in my car alone , no sponser.. You need to do your own build first then think about getting someone to help you out.. Also you have to be a good driver , not just some guy who wants free stuff.

tom_9109
09-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Mods close this thread, it was supposed to be a request for insight on where to go not get bitched at for attitude and what not. Like really people.

Toms-SC
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Here is you insight:

1) Get a high paying job on drop lots of money into your car
2) Start winning races
3) Sponsors will find you

CSMRX7
09-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Here is how I would do it.

Step 1:

Move to the U.S.

Step 2:

Compete in Solo 2 until you win a regional championship and get a tire sponson.

Step 3:

Move up to Solo 1 and compete until you win a Solo 1 regional championship or better yet a national class chapionship.

Step 4:

Convince several supliers to sponsor your NASA/SCCA build now that you actually have a resume.

Just to give you a heads up once you have competed at a few events Toyo will usually give you a tire sponsorship of some sort usually good for 20-30% savings. If you want better deals than that you usually have to win something, then you may get 2 for one deals.

Also check with Acura to see if they sponsor grassroots racing. Mazdaspeed for instance will give you a 20% discount on OEM parts and Mazdaspeed parts if you can give them documentation of 2 events. (The deal gets better if you have a good track record).

rage2
09-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
Here is how I would do it.

Step 1:

Move to the U.S.

Step 2:

Compete in Solo 2 until you win a regional championship and get a tire sponson.

Step 3:

Move up to Solo 1 and compete until you win a Solo 1 regional championship or better yet a national class chapionship.

Step 4:

Convince several supliers to sponsor your NASA/SCCA build now that you actually have a resume.

Just to give you a heads up once you have competed at a few events Toyo will usually give you a tire sponsorship of some sort usually good for 20-30% savings. If you want better deals than that you usually have to win something, then you may get 2 for one deals.

Also check with Acura to see if they sponsor grassroots racing. Mazdaspeed for instance will give you a 20% discount on OEM parts and Mazdaspeed parts if you can give them documentation of 2 events. (The deal gets better if you have a good track record).
Good post.

I spent about $90k on my solo2 car, competed locally for 2 years and won a class championship before I got tire sponsorship. Even then, it was just getting stuff below cost, wasn't free. I did get used tires for free for drifting tho.

You're not gonna get anything unless you've actually competed using your own $ and have the results to prove it.

rage2
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Mods close this thread, it was supposed to be a request for insight on where to go not get bitched at for attitude and what not. Like really people.
WTF? Every post here has explained what it takes to get sponsorship. You don't want to hear it.

You want us to lie to you?

Hey man, just tell them your RSX is a Supra Killer and you'll have money pouring in so fast you won't know what to buy next! You can quit your job and race around the world in your RSX because you'll have 6 fig salary coming in from sponsors. In 2 years you'll end up racing in F1 that's how they all do it!

There, does that feel better?

bituerbo
09-08-2008, 10:25 AM
When I was competing in solo II we could win $50 vouchers for 1010tires and $20 vouchers for Sunoco gas - and that was HUGE. Win 5-6 events throughout the year and that's a set of R-compounds, meaning you're going to be more competetive next year.

Edit: also, my brother in-law got sponsored by a shop in Ontario, but he competes nationally in Rally. He's been racing for at LEAST 10 years prior to any kind of sponsorship, running TSD's in his Toyota Tercel. He's still responsible for a lot of his running expenses.

max_boost
09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Mods close this thread, it was supposed to be a request for insight on where to go not get bitched at for attitude and what not. Like really people. lmao

I just read over the posts and they were pretty tamed. You must get offended easily. Beyond can be much more cruel than that haha

max_boost
09-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Hopefully speedracer will chime in, he still does a lot of racing.

Eleanor
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Open your own shop and get them to sponsor you ;)

bulaian
09-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by rage2

WTF? Every post here has explained what it takes to get sponsorship. You don't want to hear it.

You want us to lie to you?

Hey man, just tell them your RSX is a Supra Killer and you'll have money pouring in so fast you won't know what to buy next! You can quit your job and race around the world in your RSX because you'll have 6 fig salary coming in from sponsors. In 2 years you'll end up racing in F1 that's how they all do it!

There, does that feel better?

:werd: the truth hurts

the posts above gave all the information you need, it's not the world's fault that it doesn't work the way you want it to. people aren't just going to throw you money for spending a few k on your car without proven results. once you prove you can race and win, then the sponsors will come.

Tik-Tok
09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I honest to god did an '08 check, and still couldn't believe the results.

I'm not even into racing (more than secret street), and even I know more about it than you.

CSMRX7
09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Open your own shop and get them to sponsor you ;)

Don't give away too many secrets, CRA may start to get suspicious...

bulaian
09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
:rofl: not even a 38788-44410(join date: 2007) either

canuckcarguy
09-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also am looking for sponsorship.

I don't have any real race experience, but plenty of street experience, including commuting, lane changes, signaling, and 4-way stops. Traffic circles still confound me, but I'm confident I can usually find my way home without using them. I occasionally tailgate when I'm late for work, but I haven't flipped anybody the bird in weeks.

I'm therefore looking for street sponsorship, preferably for the purchase of a new SUV (winter's coming, and I don't want to buy winter tires for the car).

Also, if at all possible, I don't want anybody's stickers on my car. I think they look ugly. But I'll carry your promotional material in the trunk, and hand it out to anybody who looks like a likely customer.

Thanks in advance.

Mr_ET
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

I don't have any real race experience, but plenty of street experience, including commuting, lane changes, signaling, and 4-way stops. Traffic circles still confound me, but I'm confident I can usually find my way home without using them. I occasionally tailgate when I'm late for work, but I haven't flipped anybody the bird in weeks.

I'm therefore looking for street sponsorship, preferably for the purchase of a new SUV (winter's coming, and I don't want to buy winter tires for the car).

Also, if at all possible, I don't want anybody's stickers on my car. I think they look ugly. But I'll carry your promotional material in the trunk, and hand it out to anybody who looks like a likely customer.

Thanks in advance.

WIN:clap:

Spoons
09-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks in advance.

Yep... We have a winner.
:rofl:

403ep3
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks in advance.

:rofl:

D'z Nutz
09-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately we're going to have to turn down your application. While you do have an impressive resume, we are also looking for skilled parkers to compete in the Impark Park and Dash 2009 next year. We appreciate your interest and suggest you keep at those uphill, downhill, angle, and the dreaded parallel parks (Asian women need not apply) for future sponsorship applications.

xLostx
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
move to japan, find a guy named Han and ask to borrow one of his modded cars so you can challenge DK to a drifto race. smash up the car and go from there.

KoukiS14
09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by xLostx
move to japan, find a guy named Han and ask to borrow one of his modded cars so you can challenge DK to a drifto race. smash up the car and go from there.

Dude, Han is Dead.

adam c
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by KoukiS14

Dude, Han is Dead.

WHAT?!?! :cry:

fuck now I feel like playing some soccer and racing down a cliff

speedracer
09-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Hopefully speedracer will chime in, he still does a lot of racing.

emo posts are hard to look into :D

Pretty much what everyone said. Unless your a gifted driver you have to go up the ranks like everyone else. It's also all about who you know for sponsorships ;)

As for racing since figures keep getting thrown out:

Don't look at wheel to wheel racing as expensive and over the top.

It's manageable - you do what you can and what you can afford to lose. *re read the sentence again*

ThisPersian
09-08-2008, 05:39 PM
i am interested in finding out how to get sponsors too
not sure the difference as op stated they are going to do a rsx
but i will most likely use my gt 300 or other cars i have
which are all custom made and actual RACE cars...
would i go through same steps or anything else that is special?

Ripper
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I raced at a 'professional level' of karting for 5+ years, and my race budget was nearing 100k/year. So your 15-20k doesn't make you big time or anything... I'm not trying to bash you here, just a reality check.

On to sponsorship. You have to approach sponsors from a business standpoint. What is the sponsor going to get out of this deal? Most of what you can offer them is media exposure. To get any sort of decent buy-in its going to have to be national media exposure and your going to need to be winning races to get this exposure. Racing is pretty non-existant around these part, so to get local sponsorship is a struggle. Your best bet is personal contacts that will buy into your vision until you have proven yourself on the track.

Personally I was ranked in the top 25 in north america in my sport. Amongst various petty sponsorship I managed to get free race fuel for 5 years, and a crash helmet.

Theres no free rides in racing all the way to the top level. Even in F1 and Champ Car some back markers only have a ride because they are personally sponsored and can bring money to the team.

ercchry
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
100k a year in karting, holy drifting is a deal! build a competitive car for $20k, a set of tires per event and maybe another set a month for practice and that is it!

Ripper
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
100k a year in karting, holy drifting is a deal! build a competitive car for $20k, a set of tires per event and maybe another set a month for practice and that is it!

Yes, but is that for a full national level drift circuit across a dozen locations in north america? Or is that local? I imagine those pro drift cars that appear on TV have quite a bit more the 20k dumped into them.

Karting is ALOT cheaper at a local level or even regional level.

403Gemini
09-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I read an article on trying to get car sponsers. Apparently its pretty effing difficult. You're gonna dump any where between 20k-40k in mods alone, goto enough shows, race enough on the track (and im not even sure if there is a local league anywhere in alberta for that class of vehicle...) and after 2-3 years you can start applying.

Applying for sponsorships is like applying for a job. Be prepared to get A LOT of denial letters. Most of the cars you see in modified, import tuner, etc dont even have sponsers.

ThisPersian
09-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Ripper
I raced at a 'professional level' of karting for 5+ years, and my race budget was nearing 100k/year. So your 15-20k doesn't make you big time or anything... I'm not trying to bash you here, just a reality check.

On to sponsorship. You have to approach sponsors from a business standpoint. What is the sponsor going to get out of this deal? Most of what you can offer them is media exposure. To get any sort of decent buy-in its going to have to be national media exposure and your going to need to be winning races to get this exposure. Racing is pretty non-existant around these part, so to get local sponsorship is a struggle. Your best bet is personal contacts that will buy into your vision until you have proven yourself on the track.

Personally I was ranked in the top 25 in north america in my sport. Amongst various petty sponsorship I managed to get free race fuel for 5 years, and a crash helmet.

Theres no free rides in racing all the way to the top level. Even in F1 and Champ Car some back markers only have a ride because they are personally sponsored and can bring money to the team.

so in order for me to be able to get a good enough sponsor i would have to do constant races and shows just so the car gets out there and then someone is interested?
at least that is what i gathered from the posts here..

about competing, anyone know where and what event would help the most? for example every X months they have events where you could get your name out there or something :)

thanks

ercchry
09-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Ripper

Yes, but is that for a full national level drift circuit across a dozen locations in north america? Or is that local? I imagine those pro drift cars that appear on TV have quite a bit more the 20k dumped into them.

Karting is ALOT cheaper at a local level or even regional level.

yeah that is local (alberta and area)

there is some teams that do the usa thing too, but they are probably a bit higher in money, for that you would need a truck and a trailer, etc. and cars are approaching 50k+

but you do not need a whole new rig every year, so im going to still go with it being a deal! haha

tom_9109
09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Well I'm not lookin for a full free ride from some big race company. What I am lookin for is any little or big company that is willing to help out. Hell kids that ride bmx get places to throw em a few bucks. As for my car, I think i made a few people misunderstand when I said its worth between 15-20. Thats what its probably worth if I sold it. but i have what I paid for the car new into it and around 20k or more into it over the last few years. I have just decided that its time to race, I bought a new street car but can't bear to sell the RSX so it is time to use it as my race car. Realistically if I find a tire shop that will do free mount and balances, or a motel that will put me up on race weekends, I'll be further ahead. I'm sure theres a few little business that will get on board, I have one little local gas station that will spring a few hundred bucks or more for a sticker spot and a nice photo of the race car for their station.

It just seems that the minute I bring up sponsorship the attitude here turned to 'look at this nobody lookin for a hundred grand hand out because he wants to be boy racer'. Not really helpful. However some people have been very insightful and for that I thank them.

And does anyone think a proper built RSX isn't a great car for its class in WCMA?

CSMRX7
09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Just a side note. Probably the most expensive piece of racing is travel and gas. Between Truck, Trailer, Hotels, Food and other travel costs you can drop a lot of money.

I have not been competing the last 2 years, just mostly having fun and dropped 25k/yr.

Ripper
09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
What I am lookin for is any little or big company that is willing to help out. Hell kids that ride bmx get places to throw em a few bucks. Realistically if I find a tire shop that will do free mount and balances, or a motel that will put me up on race weekends, I'll be further ahead. I'm sure theres a few little business that will get on board, I have one little local gas station that will spring a few hundred bucks or more for a sticker spot and a nice photo of the race car for their station.

These sorts of ideas are run in line with people buying into your personal vision like I mentioned in my original post. This is great if you can find them, but normally ends being petty. Not that petty is bad to start out, anything definately helps! Even 10$ will buy you your food for the race day lol.

Again though, try and think of whatever it takes to sell the idea of sponsorship to the company. Now I mentioned media exposure in my first post, but this isn't the only perk you can give business. After you get your own package at the track sorted out, you can offer to take them to track and get them pit passes etc. Keep them happy and comfortable, buy them lunch, and have some drinks after the day is done. This generates more interest and involvement. Just don't do this until you have your own package sorted out or they could think you are a gong show and lose all interest.

Maybe they think its so cool and want to jump and help out next time! Or maybe they will see what their money is up to and will pitch in a little more. Or maybe they think the sport is awesome and want to start their own package. You will lose your sponsorship then likely, but now you will have another buddy and competitor to race with and against which improves the sport and makes things more fun for yourself.

speedracer
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Regarding Sponsorships:
It's all about networking. Nothing more than that.

It just seems that the minute I bring up sponsorship the attitude here turned to 'look at this nobody lookin for a hundred grand hand out because he wants to be boy racer'. Not really helpful. However some people have been very insightful and for that I thank them.

Unless you want it sugar coated like Rage2 mentioned. The above still sums up what your asking / expecting.

Before asking and fussing over any amount of financial exchange (which is really unimportant) - why are you not out at the races (or car shows or.....) if that is your direction?

Half the battle is being at the track. A lot of figures have been thrown out and yes, it is a financial drain and even scary - but did you expect it to be any less? suck it up - if you can't than stick with the boy racer dream - nothing wrong with that either.

And does anyone think a proper built RSX isn't a great car for its class in WCMA?

Come out and find out.
*hint*
- ANYTHING is track worthy so long as it meets the safety rules

Casa
09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
out of all cars.. why a FWD RSX?

rage2
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
RSX's are pretty darn fun to drive at the track.

onehawtrex
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
if i was a company looking for a car to give some money to so i get a stick spot...think of it this was

Anyone can build a car, Not everyone can race a car!

Stunt66
09-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by onehawtrex
if i was a company looking for a car to give some money to so i get a stick spot...think of it this was

Anyone can build a car, Not everyone can race a car!

:confused:

tom_9109
09-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2
RSX's are pretty darn fun to drive at the track.

Well main reason is I have one already. Other reason is in their class they are very capable. Take a look at realtime's RSX's.

onehawtrex
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66

:confused:

well anyone can jump into a 100K race car and race...but if tall depends on if they are a good driver...like the petty driving experiance in vegas..think someone off the streets can jump into a nascar and keep up to carl edwards or jeff gordon...no it takes years of driving to become a world class driver...so like i said anyone can build a car but not everyone can race a car to full potential...if soo then every race circut would have hundreds of cars...

So to the OP... build your car with the money you got...race it and get better at driving...and one day if you can perform then you will get spotted by someone... Good luck to you!

***** ill give you 40 bucks to put my face on the hood of your car for one race****** haha

ercchry
09-09-2008, 08:54 PM
so... you are saying there is no need for an educated person in building a competitive race car? i would have to disagree, it takes probably more talent to build a good car (and a lot more team work) then to just drive

soloracer
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Well I'm not lookin for a full free ride from some big race company. What I am lookin for is any little or big company that is willing to help out. Hell kids that ride bmx get places to throw em a few bucks. As for my car, I think i made a few people misunderstand when I said its worth between 15-20. Thats what its probably worth if I sold it. but i have what I paid for the car new into it and around 20k or more into it over the last few years. I have just decided that its time to race, I bought a new street car but can't bear to sell the RSX so it is time to use it as my race car. Realistically if I find a tire shop that will do free mount and balances, or a motel that will put me up on race weekends, I'll be further ahead. I'm sure theres a few little business that will get on board, I have one little local gas station that will spring a few hundred bucks or more for a sticker spot and a nice photo of the race car for their station.

First of all, do you even understand what the WCMA is? For example, what class are you referring to exactly? Do you know the difference between a sanctioning body and a racing series? Do you know the difference between GT Series Racing, Solo 1 and Solo 2?

As for the attitude - you started it when you came across as being highly arrogant with very little knowledge about racing in general. The fact you even mentioned the dollar value of your car as justification for sponsoring you showed how little you think of people who are actually racing with limited to no sponsorship money. After all, they must all be driving shit boxes or else they would have "primo" sponsorship. Either that or they weren't as creative as you to consider posting on a web forum. :rolleyes:

People here have given you good advice and from the looks of things you are looking for an easy way out. The fact that your first question is about sponsorship when you don't even know anything about racing in general speaks volumes.

Oh and in regards to the Realtime RSX's - don't even think of comparing their results to what you will realistically achieve with your car. Those are professional race teams with highly modified cars and experienced drivers. It would be the equivalent to me saying "I have a Ferrari 308 and since Ferrari won F1 last year I should kick ass!". You don't even know what series you want to be in nor do you know what class an RSX would go into thus what modifications you are allowed and what other cars are eligible in it's class. For all you know they might class an RSX with the C6 Z06. The point is you just don't know - and yet your first question is about sponsorship.

If you want my advice - which I doubt you would take anyway - make minimal changes to your car and compete in a Solo1 or Solo2 series to get some time behind the wheel. Sign up for any lapping day and DE events you can - provided the track is still being used next year. Don't focus too much on what car you plan to drive. Instead focus on learning how to drive any car.

soloracer
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
Just a side note. Probably the most expensive piece of racing is travel and gas. Between Truck, Trailer, Hotels, Food and other travel costs you can drop a lot of money.

I have not been competing the last 2 years, just mostly having fun and dropped 25k/yr.

And that was just for the body kits........... ;)

canadianskyline
09-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah.

This post is ridiculous. Do you even know how to drive? You have to build the car out of pocket, then you have to learn how to drive it, and you have to get real results before anyone is gonna even think of sponsoring you.

I've been drifting for like 5 years now and have just built the car over time (I don't street drive it anymore). I've done very well and I've got a really solid sponsor out of it (and I can't thank AutoDream enough for what they do for me). Not many other guys have been as lucky as I've been.

But for you to think someone is gonna give you free parts just at the idea of you racing and building a car is laughable.

You have to spend the big bucks and get real results before anyone is going to even front you a dollar.

CSMRX7
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM

And that was just for the body kits........... ;)

:rofl: You have to crash a few times to find the limit :D