PDA

View Full Version : People "quitting" beyond

kerry
09-08-2008, 07:35 AM
I've noticed a lot of people either not posting much (myself being guilty but not due to the following reasons) or the rare occasion that they flat out say they're quitting beyond (Maddog55).

Why do you think this is? I'm bored and am waiting for SAIT to open so I figured I'd stir the pot. I'm sure this has to do a lot with the "everyone on beyond a hater" thread but I'm also sure it's not just the hate causing people to quit beyond. And why do you think this website has such an effect on people that they feel they need to "quit" beyond anyways. No life? Boring life? Taking the intranetz too seriously? Is it because beyond has changed so much that their comfort blanket is now gone?

Discuss because I'm bored and I bet a lot of you have an opinion on this.

The Cosworth
09-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Some days there is too much crap and not enough good threads.

I remember when I was in college beyond had lots of informative things to read, now it is all entertainment but I don't really learn anything new anymore off here.

tom_9109
09-08-2008, 07:40 AM
It might be people are tired of being involved on a forum that when you posted before you would get good positive replies that resulted in a discussion. Now when you post you gotta just sit there and wait for someone to just on the purpose of your post or your grammar. There was a time when I got something out of beyond and a few other forums but they all seem to have become something less than desirable.

Xtrema
09-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Google can answer most of your questions

Forums are now strictly social/entertainment mostly.

dj_rice
09-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I like all the Beyonders rocking the pedobear avatars... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Toms-SC
09-08-2008, 09:08 AM
lol crew signing in

lol

bulaian
09-08-2008, 09:12 AM
i don't see how people want to quit beyond because they are bored... i come here because i'm bored

em2ab
09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
The main reason for me is that people lack common abstract thinking and the ability for appreciation.

I'm pretty open to new ideas, There's a lot of D.I.Y. manuals that could be written about my car. And if someone wants to put a spoiler or vinyl or L.E.D. on their car, I'm not making judgment until I see it. What do I know, maybe it'll somehow look good. But there's a lot of people here who have no idea what a nice car is and just buy what everyone else likes to try and represent. And then they cry foul whenever someone does any sort of modification to their car that's unrelated to the engine while they're driving around in a 1998 Sunfire pumping 155 decibles out of a muffler that actually decreases what little horsepower they do have.

It's really frustrating when you're trying to have a legitimate conversation with someone in plain English and this failure comes on the thread saying, "thats mad tite" or goes on about how JDM his USDM wheels are just because they're black. Some people are just dumb. I've actually had a similar conversation with someone about this:

him - Check out these JDM wheels.
me - Oh, they're pretty nice for JDM, which car did they come on?
him - ?????
me - They were released on the domestic market there right? Which car are they from?
him - I ordered them online from a company in the states.....
me - fail

And then there's these kids that paint their hoods black thinking someone's going to mistake it for carbon fibre. Why? Because it's cool to have carbon fibre.....I guess.

rage2
09-08-2008, 09:15 AM
There's a lot of emo's and drama queens on here, but definately not as much as other forums where there's a lot more "I quit" threads. I'd like to think our "hater" attitude has toughened a few up :rofl:.

There are some that whine there's no good threads to participate in, I certainly don't have that problem. I'm in a fair share of intelligent discussions ranging from video games, to politics. Oh ya, and the occasional car specific thread too :).

I don't even read local news anymore. I get all my information on here.

em2ab
09-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Same. First thing I do in the morning is read Beyond and then I ask my coworkers if they heard about the most recent [insert shooting or killing here]. I read Reuters sometimes to get world news from a different perspective (I hate the North American twist on things) but mostly just Beyond.

$lick_rYz
09-08-2008, 09:26 AM

:werd: I read about things on beyond before it makes it to the evening news...USUALLY

benyl
09-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Too many fucking For Sale threads.

I go away for 4 days. When I get back and I click:
http://forums.beyond.ca/images/button_viewnew.gif

there is 44 pages of unread threads... holy fawk! There is a lot more shit to sift through these days.

LadyTurbo
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Ditto that.

I went through a phase where I didn't post for a few months... someone pissed me off on here, I got bored of always trying to play "catch-up" when I didn't log on for a few days and a couple hundred posts popped up over night... I think I was just taking things wayyyyyy too seriously.

Now that I'm back, I log on when I log on... I post when I feel like I have something to say... and if someone doesn't like what I have to say, so be it. I'm not going to battle with someone over an opinion.

Beyond is like everything cool on the internet scaled down into a nice little compact package. I've met some cool people on Beyond, read up on some random topics, watched Beyond CSI go down, learned a lot more about cars and what I like in a car... what more can you ask for?

Toms-SC
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
I find the quality of news you get here is also better then what the media provides.

revelations
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by benyl

there is 44 pages of unread threads... holy fawk! There is a lot more shit to sift through these days.

you can turn off the FS threads so that they wont show during the "check new posts" query....

civiclvr
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I troll..
I used to find a lot of information on here and I learned alot.. but that's been tapering off

I used to see a lot of projects or progress pics.. also tapering.

Entertainment and news used to be minimal and based of of things in town.. Now it's worldwide (which isn't bad) and more prevalent than the car stuff.

Now there is so much dis-information going around and a ton of just bitching.
I'm of the mind that if you don't have anything important or helpful to the topic.. don't post.
90% of the "08" posts or the other stupid ones would just die if people ignored them rather than perpetuating them.

It just doesn't feel like the community that it used to. :(

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I won't quit, I'll hang around until I get fired.

JfuckinC
09-08-2008, 10:18 AM
haha what about those people that just WONT quit, even after multiple bannings. they kind of even out for the bitchy quitters.
:D

JordanEG6
09-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I know I haven't been posting as much as before because I seem to be alot busier with sh*t nowadays. but do come on occasionally.

Plus it's the abundance of haters, new members/kids or generally dumb people creating stupid threads or posts that really have no value to bring to the forum, other than the fact that it turns me off from posting on certain topics.

And it isn't like 2 or 3 years ago when this forum had only a handful of truly active members where there were more post worthy and intelligent topics without random people showing up everyday to f*ck shit up hahaha.

Kloubek
09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't remember what the stats were, but there was a post which I cannot find in a search which broke down the ages using Beyond. For the most part, and as expected, I believe the majority of the users were in their early 20's.

When you cater to such a young age group, you're bound to experience bullshit thread responses, etc. I think that people are just tired of seeing all the haters and grammar police clogging up what would otherwise be good, solid information. Many people simply do not have the time to sift through pages and pages of bs to get to the "meat" of the questions and answers....

I use Beyond as a great "filler" during my work day. So I have time to "sift". :)

tm88
09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Beyond is addicting, i am sitting in my online brokerage meeting right now at home and have 2 windows open. One being the meeting and i think we all know the other lol.

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by tm88
Beyond is addicting, i am sitting in my online brokerage meeting right now at home and have 2 windows open. One being the meeting and i think we all know the other lol.

www.wetandhornymidgetsonacid.com? :dunno:

b_t
09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

I use Beyond as a great "filler" during my work day. So I have time to "sift". :)

If I didn't work, I wouldn't check Beyond. But it helps kill a lot of time.

LadyTurbo
09-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by b_t

If I didn't work, I wouldn't check Beyond. But it helps kill a lot of time.

+1... makes the day go by a lot faster.

JfuckinC
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by LadyTurbo

+1... makes the day go by a lot faster.

I actually just suggested it to a friend of mine whos new to the "full time work force". he told me he goes to the bathroom 30 times a day so he has something to do.

tm88
09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
problem is i am on webcam lol, could be obvious what im looking at as the eyes light up. I didnt even click it bye the way

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

www.wetandhornymidgetsonacid.com? :dunno: :nut:

D'z Nutz
09-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I won't quit beyond. I'll just fire until things get better.

barmanjay
09-08-2008, 10:47 AM
problem is i am on webcam lol, could be obvious what im looking at as the eyes light up. I didnt even click it bye the way

:nut:

HAHAHA

I'm in the office cruising beyond during this meeting :D

max_boost
09-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
It might be people are tired of being involved on a forum that when you posted before you would get good positive replies that resulted in a discussion. Now when you post you gotta just sit there and wait for someone to just on the purpose of your post or your grammar. There was a time when I got something out of beyond and a few other forums but they all seem to have become something less than desirable.

Clearly that race car thread is bugging you.

Originally posted by Xtrema
Google can answer most of your questions

Forums are now strictly social/entertainment mostly.

:werd:

Originally posted by Kloubek
I don't remember what the stats were, but there was a post which I cannot find in a search which broke down the ages using Beyond. For the most part, and as expected, I believe the majority of the users were in their early 20's.

When you cater to such a young age group, you're bound to experience bullshit thread responses, etc. I think that people are just tired of seeing all the haters and grammar police clogging up what would otherwise be good, solid information. Many people simply do not have the time to sift through pages and pages of bs to get to the "meat" of the questions and answers....

I've noticed that some of the older/senior members aren't posting as much. They haven't quit, just responding in only select topics.

As for me, I'll never quit Beyond haha The power, the OG status, yeah straight up. lol

ZorroAMG
09-08-2008, 11:08 AM
"You are too much for me Beyond. I wish I knew how to quit you."

Eleanor
09-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by bulaian
i don't see how people want to quit beyond because they are bored... i come here because i'm bored
:werd: If I didn't have beyond, I'm sure I'd have hung myself at work already :rofl:

Originally posted by $lick_rYz
:werd: I read about things on beyond before it makes it to the evening news...USUALLY
Yep, I love how there's always the "did anyone see (blank)" and then like :30 later, there's the citybeat article posted, haha.

I won't quit, I'll hang around until I get fired.
:werd: (I'm surprised I haven't been already :rofl: )

gkAeris
09-08-2008, 12:11 PM
i find that i dont really post anymore because of the "hater"

everytime i post something, someone would just correct my grammar, bitch, and well just stupid irrelvatn responses to my post and then it starts with personal attacks etc,

yup i'll just troll .....

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

everytime i post something, someone would just correct my grammar, bitch, and well just stupid irrelvatn responses to my post and then it starts with personal attacks etc,

It's "irrelevant".

You big dummy.

:D

:love:

benyl
09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
"You are too much for me Beyond. I wish I knew how to quit you."

Damn Broke Back Mountaineers are everywhere!!!!

Antonito
09-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by civiclvr
I troll..

This isn't the first time I've heard troll used this way, is there another meaning that I don't know?

I always thought it went

troll = make tons of shit posts specifically to get people pissed off

lurk(er) = hang around but don't post much

:dunno:

van
09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
It's great that beyond has become such a local media outlet other than the obvious news casts that you can view. I think this is the direction that most forums want to grow into. I can honestly say the people who 'quit' beyond are probably the same people who say, "I'm going to quit facebook." Yet, these very same people come sneaking back on with another username cause they don't want to get flamed. I'm sure if everyone on beyond quit the productivity in their workplace would increase dramatically.

SJW
09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
They're quitting because of a total lack of respect for others.

Check out the first responses in these threads. Its fuckin shameful if u ask me.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/233160/king-of-cars/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/233227/spyshots-chevy-cruze/

Eleanor
09-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Check out the first responses in these threads. Its fuckin shameful if u ask me.

It's a joke, even sorath said LOL in his post.

I think people on beyond quit cause they keep getting their panties in a knot over everything :banghead:

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by SJW

Says the guys whose "what I drive" says "your sister". :rolleyes:

Need any help carrying that cross?

Penis McNickels
09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

This isn't the first time I've heard troll used this way, is there another meaning that I don't know?

I always thought it went

troll = make tons of shit posts specifically to get people pissed off

lurk(er) = hang around but don't post much

:dunno:

The internet is very complicated, my friend.

Eleanor
09-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Says the guys whose "what I drive" says "your sister". :rolleyes:
Says the guy who's also got a smartass comment in his location :poosie: :D

rage2
09-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by SJW

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/233227/spyshots-chevy-cruze/
In regards to that chevy thead, there's 1 idiot, and someone put him in his place. That idiot will probably get banned eventually. Once that was out of the way, a normal discussion ensued. Besides, some of these idiots freely bump threads, gives the thread more exposure :).

After looking thru a whole whack of threads because of the hater thread and this thread, I've come to realize that if anything, there's a lot of whiners and babies, or oversensitive emos that are regulars here.

Of course, I'm going to have to group myself in the whiner category, but only in the F1 thread LOL.

But seriously, look at this thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/233171/sponsor-my-race-car--/

Guy's crying like a baby wanting the thread closed, complaining of bad attitude or something, when all we did was offer advice. Of course, I turned it into pure sarcasm after that, as there was no reason to continue on with that conversation. Might as well make the most of it.

Oh ya, he cried in here too.

Originally posted by tom_9109

How can anyone take these people seriously? :nut:

Antonito
09-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Penis McNickels

The internet is very complicated, my friend.

No no, when people say that you are "confused", they aren't talking about your internet abilities

xLostx
09-08-2008, 01:46 PM
uhh I'm here for the gang bang

ZorroAMG
09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
You had me at Log in.

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
^

You had me at "log".

JfuckinC
09-08-2008, 02:25 PM
^

You had me at "log".

Thats Probably The best Catch Of The Day.

Penis McNickels
09-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

That's what you get when you only hire rent-a-cops.

ZorroAMG
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Quoi?

Oh and Penis, our grammar patrol services are voluntary....you'll see. :D

barmanjay
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
^

You had me at "log".

ROFLMFAO!!!!!

My wife just looked at me funny as I LOL'ed for real!

Ekliptix
09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I just have other shit to do! :)

tm88
09-08-2008, 03:53 PM
become a member of vwvortex for a hour and your skin will be thick enough to join any forum.
I swear if you post a pic of your car and it has less than 15k into it you get flames hard.
You ask a question that you KNOW 90% of vdub owners dont know and the 10% that do will make you feel like a idiot.

Beyond is like a vacation away from VWvortex.

msommers
09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Probably due to a mix of retarded posts coupled with just as retarded answers. Sometimes it's funny but it is getting a bit monotonous. Users who give consistently strong and mature advice are few and far between (it sure as hell isn't me lol). Reading up on the news, checking any reviews, selling stuff and the photog sections are pretty much all I look at now. Otherwise it's the usual "I got a ticket," "my neighbor BBQs," "The US is taking over the world," "89coupe is a baller," people bitching, constant grammar checks (Ok the HAI guy had it coming :P) etc etc.

Eleanor
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
become a member of vwvortex for a hour and your skin will be thick enough to join any forum.

VW Vortex - Where their asses are as stretched as their tires :rofl: :D

TomcoPDR
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
lol crew signing in

lol

What's up!

Originally posted by LadyTurbo

someone pissed me off on here,

Who dares?

ZMan2k2
09-08-2008, 05:33 PM
It's definitely people who don't have a thick skin. I've been knocked down a few pegs here for things I've said. Doesn't really bother me. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm not gonna make a thread about people being mean and rude, and wrap it up with a "and I quit coming here." Seriously, drop the drama. No one needs that much drama and attention in their lives, do they?:dunno:

old&slow
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I won't quit, I'll hang around until I get fired. :nut: :nut: :nut:

I'm spying from the edges! or maybe I'm a voyeur?

rage2
09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
No one needs that much drama and attention in their lives, do they?:dunno:
I know lots of people that LOVE the drama. They love to create it and be a part of it. Me? I just like to hear about it... at times it can be entertaining! Plus it gives me material when I make fun of them.

ZorroAMG
09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I know that side of you allllll too well :(

LOL

Ben
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I do a lot more lurking than I used to, it's good material to peruse when you're feeling a little homesick depending on what corner of the globe I'm in.

oh, PB crew signing in.

FiveFreshFish
09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Originally posted by revelations

you can turn off the FS threads so that they wont show during the "check new posts" query....

Rage fixed it two days after I whined about it. :D

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30124#post412989

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30124#post415397

soupey
09-09-2008, 01:46 AM

thaaat basically sums up what i do now.

other than photoshop and sometimes the electronics sections. i keep my nose out of threads, don't want to bother being needlessly flamed over any responses i make from people who talk big behind their keyboards.

SJW
09-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Now I said lack of respect. I didn't make mention that I respect anyone now did I? Eleanor I didn't know you made a joke. The LOL makes it all better doesn't it. It was just my opinion anyway. Everyone has one.

gkAeris
09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by soupey

thaaat basically sums up what i do now.

other than photoshop and sometimes the electronics sections. i keep my nose out of threads, don't want to bother being needlessly flamed over any responses i make from people who talk big behind their keyboards.

oh yeah, now i remember your user name you did used to post alot more back then...
lol

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I come for the lulz.

A lot of intelligent people post nothing but sarcastic remarks, looking for retarded replies. I get more of of lurking those threads, rather than making an ass of myself trying to look semi-intelligent like the actual smart-asses here. I envy them, but I'm not good enough to emulate them.

Rocky
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Ah you know, Beyond is cheap entertainment. From quick browsing, my major reasons for staying on this site have already been stated:

1. Forums are a source of entertainment, not knowledge, these days

2. Pedobear avs

3. Epic lulz

Mibz
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
It's definitely people who don't have a thick skin. I've been knocked down a few pegs here for things I've said. Doesn't really bother me. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I've been burned a couple times here too. It's forced me to think a little harder before I post but it's not gonna stop me from participating. I consider it life experience :P