PDA

View Full Version : Modifications Void warranty? (Honda)

Thaco
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
hey, i have an 04 civic, the transmission has been acting up, i bought the car 4 months ago from an authorized Honda dealership, since then I've installed lowering springs and put on aftermarket wheels/tires and headlights.... am i going to have an issue with them complaining and maybe voiding my warranty when i take it in for repairs tomorrow?

(i'm well within the warranty period, it's 120,000km/6 years "no nonsense" Honda factory warranty (they extend it a year/20,000km when they"certify" it used))

Eleanor
09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Shouldn't cause issues, but if they want to be douchebags they can put up a fight. If you had put an aftermarket clutch in it, it might be a different story.

Weapon_R
09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
No

Sorath
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
if whatever u replaced has caused the problem. then it wont be covered, otherwise ur ok

Thaco
09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
if whatever u replaced has caused the problem. then it wont be covered, otherwise ur ok

I'm certain it's issues with the shifter linkage/synchro, so i should be OK, Thanks Guys.

Thaco
09-09-2008, 02:34 PM
so Honda says they wont cover it, they say i need shifter cables, which is only covered under the 3 yr/60k warranty, it's an 04 car with 58000km on it...

guy said he'll ask his service manager if they can do anything for me, it's making me a bit uneasy about the whole purchase, i haven't even owned the car for 6 months and it's already nickle and diming me. i thought "honda certified" meant something.

Sorath
09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
honda certified is only on major components, so if ur tranny or engine grenades ur covered, if its shifter cables its wear and tear

heavyD
09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
so Honda says they wont cover it, they say i need shifter cables, which is only covered under the 3 yr/60k warranty, it's an 04 car with 58000km on it...

guy said he'll ask his service manager if they can do anything for me, it's making me a bit uneasy about the whole purchase, i haven't even owned the car for 6 months and it's already nickle and diming me. i thought "honda certified" meant something.

It's a used car. If you wanted the security of not having to pay to fix problems you should have bought a new car. If the car was shifting well at the time of sale how could you expect Honda to check the shifter cables and certify that they were good? Mind you they should last much longer than 58000 kms.

Thaco
09-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

It's a used car. If you wanted the security of not having to pay to fix problems you should have bought a new car. If the car was shifting well at the time of sale how could you expect Honda to check the shifter cables and certify that they were good? Mind you they should last much longer than 58000 kms.

i wanted the security of not having stupid shit break after only making 2 payments on the car... i've only made $800 worth of payments in tot he car, to have to put that in to repairs on top of that isn't my idea of what a 4 year old car with less than 60k should be.

especially with them warranting it to 60k (3 years), they agree with me that they should last that long.

heavyD
09-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

i wanted the security of not having stupid shit break after only making 2 payments on the car... i've only made $800 worth of payments in tot he car, to have to put that in to repairs on top of that isn't my idea of what a 4 year old car with less than 60k should be.

especially with them warranting it to 60k (3 years), they agree with me that they should last that long.

Sucks but there really is no security in purchasing a used car.

Stunt66
09-09-2008, 03:24 PM
What you need to do is get yourself some racing sponsorship like tom_9109 and you'll be getting free shit for life. :D

That's brutal that you've got a problem after only 2 payments. Hopefully the stealership will help you out. Good luck

EM1FTW
09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
what dealership is it?

Thaco
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
talked to the service department, they said given the circumstances and being sympathetic the used car manager will pay for the parts, and the service manager will knock the labour down to $85/hr vs the regular $118 labour, so it's gonna cost me just over $200 as opposed to the $500 they originally told me.

EM1FTW
09-09-2008, 08:16 PM
ah thats not so bad!

Zero102
09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I just don't understand how shifter cables are wear and tear. I get clutches, brake pads, things you can wear out simply by being an idiot, but shifter cables?

For example, on my VW, there is an issue with the parking brake cables seizing up and locking the parking brakes on. The cables are run in such a way that they accumulate water in them, and in the winter that can freeze the cable in place, typically with the brake locked on. If this fails anywhere in the 80k/4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty it's covered. They don't limit this to the 20k/1 year wear and tear warranty.

How are shifter cables any different?....

bubbley
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Someone got bilked!

Sorath
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
the car does not have bumper to bumper warranty, honda doesnt have bumper to bumper warranties, its either comprehensive or major components

Zero102
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
If the comprehensive covers everything then you are just splitting hairs with the name ;)

rc2002
09-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I think you fared pretty well considering the dealer paid for the parts. If you were mechanically savvy or even just had the time to figure it out, you could put them in yourself.

I can't see many used car dealers accomodating people in their day to day operations otherwise they wouldn't be in business. Seems like a good will gesture to me because it doesn't sound like they have any obligation to fix the problem.

Thaco
09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I think you fared pretty well considering the dealer paid for the parts. If you were mechanically savvy or even just had the time to figure it out, you could put them in yourself.

I can't see many used car dealers accomodating people in their day to day operations otherwise they wouldn't be in business. Seems like a good will gesture to me because it doesn't sound like they have any obligation to fix the problem. i understand that, and i was willing to do it myself, i even told the service guy that if they were unable or unwilling to fix it then, no big deal, i'll pay for the diagnostic and come pick the car up and fix it myself... but for the pricing they gave me, it would have only saved me a few bucks to do it myself, so i let them do it... i know they're not obligated, but i will be making another vehicle purchase in the not so distant future, and wi have suggested this dealership to several other people because of my positive experiences there, i'm just glad they could stay positive so i can continue recommending them.

Now that it's all said and done and i am pleased with the outcome, i will say it's Crowfoot Honda, and i would recommend them to others.