PDA

View Full Version : american tire prices....

4DoorGTZ
09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Since we have a few sponsors on this site I'll ask nicely in case what I'm looking to do gets me banned....

Shopping for a pair of expensive tires, called a couple sponsors, as well as other tire shops in town. Out of curiosity I called a tire shop over the border in MT, and got a price that is 55% cheaper.

Would it be wrong to invite others into a group buy sort of thing? I'll be going down in the next month to get them, could fit a few more in the car at the same time.

Discuss.

tirebob
09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
This is how the industries can vary from country to country. With certain sizes, brands etc they can sell them in the US cheaper than we as tire stores can buy them from the very same tire manufacturers warehouse in Canada

BUT

It isn't always the value it appears. Absolutely it can save you some money, and depending on the dollar value of the actual product, taking into consideration duties, brokerage, extra costs in install, time, cost of fuel (assuming you are driving to get them), freight (assuming you are shipping them) etc, the savings are not always worth it. especially if you have any kind of an issue with US bought products, getting warranty is next to impossible because the tire manufacturers do not usually honor warranties on internationally purchased products. People don't always factor in these things when comparing.

Bottom line, if it is worth your time and effort and saves you enough money, it can be worth it for you, but if you are only saving small amounts then you usually will get better value from a solid canadian company (such as myself... LOL! Shameless plug...) than leaving your money in the states...

Xtrema
09-09-2008, 02:07 PM
What's is the 55% in dollar amount?

$50? No.

$800? Go.

With the money saved, you can afford to lose 1 or 2. But like Bob said, I like my tires with some warranty. And buying from states may cause some recall issues if there's any.

4DoorGTZ
09-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275/40R18

Originaly was misquoted on size so its not 55%, but still $250/tire

tirebob
09-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Yup... Michelin is one of the worst tire companies when it comes to providing a huge price advantage to the US tie industry compared to Canada. If you compare that exact tire in that size you will most defintiely see quite a difference, but in turn if you compare that size to other premium products such as Toyo T1R's you will find the prices are closer together... Just depends on the items.