PDA

View Full Version : longhaul truckin'

SprayGUN
09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Anybody have some information I can get? Anybody do this as work? I'm just looking to see how much it's going to cost to buy a course.

Sophal
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
You have to do things in steps. Get your Air Endorsement first, do a written exam at the registries, physical from your doctor, find a nice drivers training school and then take a road test.

You're looking at around 1200-1500 bucks to get a trucker's license.

Best bet is to find a company that willl pay for you to get a license. I had an option to get a class 1 but i opted out because i didn't want to haul a utility pole trailer around and pay 115 bucks for a physical every time i have to renew my license. Instead i have a class 3 license, still have to haul a trailer but it's electric brakes. Sooo in retrospec i should of gotten a class 1. Oh well :dunno:

SprayGUN
09-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks. I want to travel to different towns and cities and get away from life in calgary and the only thing i could think of was road transport.

ExtraSlow
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Ever hear of the oil patch? See the west, make good money, get out of town.

Whiley
09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
class 1 courses are about $1000+, and you need to build up your hours driving before any big hauling company will hire you on, maybe do some water hauling in the patch?
having a good dispatcher is important, one who can line up good runs, and not waste a return trip unloaded
find a company that does both long and short hauling, and get yourself a class 3 license = cheaper, then work your way up from short hauling, until they pay to upgrade you to class 1 and long hauls

THE GOVERNATOR
09-08-2008, 08:11 PM
try randy's driving school

its down the street a couple of blocks from the mcdonalds thats right by were CMS used to be.

you sell a budget or maybe a hertz car rentle place on your right, the next building is were the driving school is.

96GrandAMGT
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
actually to get everything is around the $5000 mark... that is to do US and mountain! its nto somthing you can just jump into will take some time to get a job with a decent company!

johnboy27
09-08-2008, 08:48 PM
DO NOT waste your time getting a class 3. The class one test has 2 extra things on it above the class 3. Coupling and uncoupling and blind side backing. The class 1 test is easy. Again, do not waste time with class 3.
There are tons of oil field companies that are desperate for guys right now. Alot of times they will hire you with a class 5 and pay you to get the air endorsement and train you for your class 1.
I got my class 1 working for Sanjel corp doing oil well fracturing and I payed nothing but the cost of my test and my physical. I got the physical done at a walk in clinic and it cost 60 bucks and the test cost 100.

ecstasy_civic
09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 96GrandAMGT
actually to get everything is around the $5000 mark... that is to do US and mountain! its nto somthing you can just jump into will take some time to get a job with a decent company!

Its closer to $5000, my step dad owns a fairly large trucking company. The industry is looking for younger drivers now.

SprayGUN
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
This is something I want to do very much. Been thinking about it for a year now, but just getting serious thought into it.

I just need to figure out steps involved to getting it to happen and making a plan, so I was hoping to talk to somebody familiar or in the industry so that I can figure out what my first steps would be.

Black Gts
09-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I have my class 1 with no real experience. I am also not yet 25 and am having a little difficulty finding what I want at the moment, consider that as well when you are making this decision.

SprayGUN
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I am 25, and running out of time. Won't be long before I'm older and senile.

Supa Dexta
09-08-2008, 09:11 PM
The oil field isnt for everyone either though. My uncle owns a large trucking company back east, although I never took much interest in it, I have a lot of buddies that work for him.

If you are really serious about it, I would do up your resume and find out which are the better companys in town and show up at their door. Most will be hiring I'd imagine..

spikerS
09-08-2008, 09:58 PM
i was a long haul driver for a couple years, it has it's moments, but I am glad I don't to it anymore. then I went to short runs, delivering housing packages, and again, that was ok for awhile. But I am glad i got out.

12 years ago when i got my class 1, it cost me about $3000 from start to finish, in the summer, i made a ton of cash, but in the winter, i barely kept myself fed....

SprayGUN
09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by spikers
i was a long haul driver for a couple years, it has it's moments, but I am glad I don't to it anymore. then I went to short runs, delivering housing packages, and again, that was ok for awhile. But I am glad i got out.

12 years ago when i got my class 1, it cost me about $3000 from start to finish, in the summer, i made a ton of cash, but in the winter, i barely kept myself fed.... my longterm goal is to truck 7 days a week. bank all my money, and move to a different country and start a new life. while im banking my money i am seeing things that ive not seen yet and enjoying the fact that i dont need to put up with life in the city.

Rat Fink
09-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Rat Fink
11-04-2008, 08:37 PM

theken
11-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I have been driving trucks for about 6 years. My father has been long hauling for 40 years. You don't need a physical every time you renew your licence only after a certain age which I think is 35. My licence cost me 100 bucks for air course and 100 bucks to take the test. I spent 200 to get mine.
If you know somebody who will teach you how to drive it doesn't cost you anything

johnboy27
11-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by theken
I have been driving trucks for about 6 years. My father has been long hauling for 40 years. You don't need a physical every time you renew your licence only after a certain age which I think is 35. My licence cost me 100 bucks for air course and 100 bucks to take the test. I spent 200 to get mine.
If you know somebody who will teach you how to drive it doesn't cost you anything
I was told that you need the physical everytime you renew your liscense.

dannie
11-04-2008, 10:08 PM
^ you are correct. If you have a class 1 licence, you are required to produce a medical at the time of renewal. Renewal periods get shorter as the person ages though.

theken
11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
i have renewed my licence twice since i have had a class 1 and the only medical i have done was the original, and if you have a good company they pay for your medical

dannie
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
^ Then the registry that you went to did something wrong. You are required to have a medical at the time of renewal every single time. The only exception to that is if you received your class 1 in between your renewal periods. So for example, if you renewed your class 5 licence at the age of 20 and upgraded to a class 1 when you are 23, you would hand in a medical at the age of 23 when you get the class 1. That medical will also be used for your licence renewal when you are 25. You would require a medical again at the age of 30.

And yes, you are right. If you are with a good company, they will pay for it.

For info:

http://transportation.alberta.ca/1839.htm

"A medical report is required when first applying for a licence and:

- every 5 years after that, until 45 years of age

- every 2 years from age 45 to 65

- every year after you turn age 65"

theken
11-04-2008, 10:37 PM
they must have screwed up then, i got my 1 when i was 18 renewed at 23 no medical, only had a finger in my ass once

dannie
11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
How old are you now? Was this recent? Reason I ask, is that if its recent you may want to go to the registry and check on it.

theken
11-06-2008, 10:02 PM
i am 24, renewed when i moved last year

Rat Fink
11-13-2008, 01:56 PM

MarkFJ40
11-23-2008, 12:08 AM
You should talk to my friend. He has been trucking for 15+ years.
If you like living in your truck and eating shit food, wearing the same clothes, not showering, and dealing with the stupidest people on the planet then trucking is your dream job.
:facepalm:

TACO.VIDAL
11-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Dont forget to mention the truck stop working girls.

Originally posted by MarkFJ40
You should talk to my friend. He has been trucking for 15+ years.
If you like living in your truck and eating shit food, wearing the same clothes, not showering, and dealing with the stupidest people on the planet then trucking is your dream job.
:facepalm:

S13_Ryan
11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
A driving school here in calgary has a really good truck training. my dads friend owns the company. google it or pm for more info

Ven
11-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
Dont forget to mention the truck stop working girls.

Nothing like a well worn lot lizard to spice up the downtime.

Rat Fink
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM

BigMass
11-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Well, I just got back from my first run. My truck has a microwave, fridge, 3000 watt inverter, and tons of closet space (including a TV cabinet) so I'm not that hard done by when I'm on the road. I can bring all my own food so I don't have to live off of crap.

so did you buy the truck or rent it or what. How does it work.

Also can you get any type of wireless internet in your sleeper?

How did your first run go?

dr_jared88
11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

Also can you get any type of wireless internet in your sleeper?

Your best bet for that would be either tethering your cell phone if capable or getting one of those internet sticks from rogers or telus.

TomcoPDR
11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by theken
only had a finger in my ass once

That just made me laugh for some reason.

Rat Fink
11-25-2008, 11:58 AM

Rat Fink
12-04-2008, 12:32 AM