PDA

View Full Version : how healthy are multivitamins?

hks
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
ok so a few weeks ago i decided to buy some multivitamins. i knew that i wasn't getting enough vitamins and minerals into my diet on a regular basis, so i thought this would be a good substitute.
but before i took the pills i did a little research.... so i searched beyond :rofl:
but yah, quite a few people on here said that multivitamins are the shit etc etc and that they can do nothing but good.
i thought ok, might as well do some more research.
then i came across a canadian living article.

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/prevention/do_multivitamins_work.php

if your too lazy to read, this paragraph pretty much sums up the entire article

"Now for the real shocker: in seven trials, all of high quality, involving over 130,000 subjects, the supplement takers had a higher rate of premature death! The researchers actually calculated that one premature death would be expected for every 100 people taking supplements. Little wonder that this work prompted sensational headlines like "Vitamins Only Take You Closer To Death.""

so, after all this, should i still take the multivitamins anyways, or should i take the safe way and eat fruits/veggies other healthy shit instead.

i know i should probably talk to my doctor (which i will) but i just wanted to know what you guys though, especially with a lot of you guys already taking multivitamins.

Khalil.e
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I didnt read the article - however, by premature death do they mean I'll die at 79 vs 81?

Pssh... I'll stick with my multi vits thank you very much :D

Sasuke_Kensai
09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
When it comes to things like this, no one's going to agree. Some people are going to quote articles that say multivits boost everything and the kitchen sink, others will quote experts who say the exact opposite.

I say, if you can get enough minerals out of food, just stick with that eating preferably local/organic shit. But on the same token, I'm not scared about taking multis or supplements...

AND, another thing to consider is, in biochem class I learned something along the lines of, a cell can only process so many free radicals before it kicks the bucket, so the more energy you use (say by using multivitamins), the faster you'll use up your life stock of energy processing. I know what I said isn't quite right, if any biologists know the exact idea I'm getting at then please post :)

Also, did each subject rate their overall health or quality of life while alive?

Sasuke_Kensai
09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
To add to that - I personally believe that there's just some "magical" mixture or ratio in fruits and veggies that enable all the vitamins and such to work together, and this hasn't been emulated properly by supplements. And, even how the biomatter is arranged on a microscopic/cellular level might effect better digestion?

At any rate, it seems like eating whole foods does lé body better than relying on supplements.

rc2002
09-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I try to eat a pretty balanced diet, and I still find multi-vitamins are helpful because you can't get all the vitamins you need from food alone. I used to get sick every few months. Ever since I started taking multi-vitamins I haven't gotten sick.

Unknown303
09-09-2008, 08:07 AM
When I'm taking multivitamins its like "I'M WALKING ON SUNSHINE"

98type_r
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
close to 90% of the population is deficient in some sort of vitamin/mineral

Tik-Tok
09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by hks

"Now for the real shocker: in seven trials, all of high quality, involving over 130,000 subjects, the supplement takers had a higher rate of premature death! The researchers actually calculated that one premature death would be expected for every 100 people taking supplements. Little wonder that this work prompted sensational headlines like "Vitamins Only Take You Closer To Death.""

I could see this, but with faulty logic. I'd be willing to bet those people who are taking multi-vitamins everyday are the doing it because they aren't eating enough fruits/vegetables on a regular basis, and tend to eat more junk, thinking it's ok since they're getting their vitamins from the shiny little pills.

Also, too much of certain vitamins are bad for you, for example, if you're taking vitamins that have 100% of your recommended daily value of Vitamin C, and you're also eating several "C" rich fruits a day, your arteries may thicken, leading to easier chance of heart attacks or strokes.

reno97637
09-09-2008, 12:36 PM
If your activity level is low, you can get by just by eating clean. If your activity level is pretty high, you might need a boost in antioxidants.

My activity level is very high, I eat clean 5 days of the week, I sleep with no shirt, no pants with a blanket halfway, and I come into contact with a lot of people everyday and who knows what they've touched. I've been taking multis for a very long time and I haven't got sick for the past 6 years. My friend however, doesn't take multis, eats alright, partys on the weekend and he too hasn't been sick for a long time. He swears by eating an orange everyday.

I know a pro athlete who was taking a plain jane multi and complained about being sick every other month. We hooked her up with a premium multi and she hasn't been sick since. At the time, she also had a diet setup by a known sports nutritionist.

Everyone is different, you just have to play around and find out what's best for you.

Darkane
09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
It's almost impossible to get all your required vit's from food alone.

Example: B vit's a crucial for energy production. Eating a "balanced" meal as we know it wouldn't have enough lean meat to get proper B Vitamin levels.

B's come from animal sources like meat, fish, eggs, etc.

They are present in leafy greens, oats and wheat but not nearly as abundant.

It's a personal choice I guess. I think everyone should take some Multi's, less sickness, more motivation. :dunno:

EDIT: Forgot to add, you guys realize that the daily recommended is based on the average adult being like 5'9 and 170lbs or something like that? Also, with little to no activity.

Masked Bandit
09-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by reno97637

I sleep with no shirt, no pants with a blanket halfway,

Maybe I'm missing something but what does that have to do with the topic?

r0g3r
09-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Maybe I'm missing something but what does that have to do with the topic?

I think hes saying that he has a good immune system so the cold doesn't impact him as much.:D

but yea I've always wondered what the daily value was set on. So when they say take 2 pills I take 1, and when they say take 1 I take half a pill. Doctor told me that overdose on vitaman can be worse than having none.

davidI
09-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I take a multi every day. :dunno:

Supa Dexta
09-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I was taking them for a while.. I tried the mans one a day.. baer or some such name.. It made me SIIICK.. 5 mins after swallowing the thing my guts hurt like hell.. I then went to centrum (no not silver, yet) and was fine on them.. Figure they don't hurt to take, since really we don't eat the dirt we used to, and more processed food now.. ha.. :dunno:

danno
09-09-2008, 11:03 PM
i take no supplements no vitamins, i try to eat good but i probably don't. i only get sick once every year or two. i live a pretty physical life style i guess. :dunno:

should i be taking vitamin's?? i guess i could go to the doctor and see if i'm getting enough

max_boost
09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Is there a multi-vitamin you guys recommend?

I've been taking a centrum multi-vitamin, bowl of high fiber cereal every morning plus a shake later in the day. Well according to the nutrition it adds up to 80%+ on most of the vitamins. That's in addition to the meals I eat that are pretty balanced.

I think I'm good?!

WhippWhapp
09-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

http://www.pureessencelabs.com/life_essence.php

max_boost
09-12-2008, 01:20 AM
^^

Where can I buy that? locally? A really good product according to the description lol

WhippWhapp
09-12-2008, 02:19 AM
^^

Where can I buy that? locally? A really good product according to the description lol

Fleabay, haven't been able to source it locally- really a great product for those unwilling to swallow 10+ pills/day.

My antioxidant cocktail consists of:

1 broadbased multivitamin
250mg lipoic acid
100mg coenzyme q10
2000mg esterC
800iu natural vitaminE
50mg pycnogenol
500mcg chromium
4mg folic acid
200mcg selenium
1000mg omega3 complex
400mg gingko biloba
and... a green drink every morning.

Read The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer and Vita-Nutrient Solution by Atkins' for more info on the role antioxidants play in your health.

khtm
09-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Like most people said, 100 years ago maybe it was possible to get all the vitamins and minerals you needed from food, but nowadays because of over-farming and fertilizer use most soil has been stripped of all that good shit.

So yeah...vitamins/minerals = good, in the right combination and proportions. :thumbsup:

rc2002
09-12-2008, 11:17 AM

I've been taking a centrum multi-vitamin, bowl of high fiber cereal every morning plus a shake later in the day. Well according to the nutrition it adds up to 80%+ on most of the vitamins. That's in addition to the meals I eat that are pretty balanced.

I think I'm good?!

Centrum is working for me. It's not that pricey and it's been around for a while so I feel like the feeling of the brand security.

herragge
09-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I try to eat a pretty balanced diet, and I still find multi-vitamins are helpful because you can't get all the vitamins you need from food alone. I used to get sick every few months. Ever since I started taking multi-vitamins I haven't gotten sick.

That logic is a bit flawed. The problem with all supplements, is that how do you know if you wouldn't have gotten sick in the first place without taking the pills? That is the reasoning behind Cold-FX. It is hard to create in vivo studies and clinical trials because it is impossible to know whether it was the immune system of the user in the first place that prevented a cold. So take anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I could see this, but with faulty logic. I'd be willing to bet those people who are taking multi-vitamins everyday are the doing it because they aren't eating enough fruits/vegetables on a regular basis, and tend to eat more junk, thinking it's ok since they're getting their vitamins from the shiny little pills.

I'd agree. A lot of people probably take multivitamins to substitute for good eating habits. This would effect the results of the study. The BEST way without a doubt is to get ALL your vitamins and minerals from food without the use of supplements. This is because many foods possess other nutritive qualities that can't be replicated in multivitamins. For example, if you wanted antioxidant properties, it is better to eat broccoli straight up rather than take it in pill form.