PDA

View Full Version : my BOSE system

mowglee
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
so heres the deal...i just got a 2000 jimmy with a stock bose system in it and ppl have been tellin me that bose only works with bose and if i want to change my deck then it wont function properly. is this true?? and if it is what do i do if i want to put a dvd deck in it? please help me!! lol

5fivespeed
09-08-2008, 10:45 PM
That's what I've heard as well, I think it's because they work of a different OHM rating?

I've wired BOSE speakers in a car w/o a BOSE deck, but I'm not sure to be honest.

BlkMaxima
09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by mowglee
so heres the deal...i just got a 2000 jimmy with a stock bose system in it and ppl have been tellin me that bose only works with bose and if i want to change my deck then it wont function properly. is this true?? and if it is what do i do if i want to put a dvd deck in it? please help me!! lol

So change it! Speakers are speakers, some just sound better than others. Although you might need to disconnect the stock amps that probably came with it and run them directly off of the deck.

97'Scort
09-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Frankly, the shit Bose gives to car manufacturers (least of all domestic ones) is junk. It holds its tonality a little bit longer but in the end you're stuck with a rotting paper cone and a factory amp that won't work with new speakers. The ones in the E46 BMWs are, frankly, junk.

Do yourself a favour and buy a $1000 system. It can be done easily and it'll sound a lot better.

HHURICANE1
09-09-2008, 08:35 AM
If you want to keep your Bose stuff there are adapters to make non-Bose head units work with the Bose stuff. I think your best bet though is to ditch the Bose stuff and get stuff that will work together without any farting around.

Barking_Spidre
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a bose sound system in my 97 pathfinder, and I changed the stock deck to a kenwood one, and the speakers sounded just as good. So it didn't matter for my vehicle.

Supa Dexta
09-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm curious of this as well. The truck I may be getting comes with the bose system, but has nav and everything in a double din.. I doubt I'll be touching any of it for now.. But all my gear from the car will be sitting here unused now.

dj_rice
09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a Bose system in my 02 Pathfinder and replaced my Bose deck with a Alpine, speakers work fine :dunno:

Graham_A_M
09-09-2008, 07:32 PM
tell me the ohm rating, and I'll do my best to help out. But the what '97 Scort said, yes the Bose sound systems given to north american manufacterers is fucking garbage, even worse then their home audio stuff.

You should be able to run other periphrials with your existing bose parts, and vise versa, but changing them completely wont hurt either.

mowglee
09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
hmm all this time ive been thinkin the bose stuff is actually not bad...guess not haha

i dont know the ohm ratings becuase i didnt get an owners manual with my truck. Im doing some research to try to find some numbers but so far nothing. when i find numbers ill post them

97'Scort
09-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Owner's manual probably wouldn't tell you...I've got nothing in my system on it either. Best bet would be to pop one out and hit it with an ohmmeter.

Graham_A_M
09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Word. If its 1.7 ohms, nominal, its a "2 ohm sub" if its "3.7ohms" its "4 ohms nominal. If its 7.4 ohms, its actually 8ohms nominal.

When you input an A/C electrical signal into the sub, the electromagnet will produce a phenominon called "inductance" which brings the registered (as in read multimeter reading) into whats the nominal ohm rating.

D_flore
09-24-2008, 02:19 AM
not sure about the ohms but changed the deck in my car and worked fine with the stock bose system