PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Bold VS Iphone 3G

ray8181
09-09-2008, 02:54 AM
so im thinking about buying the bold or the iphone sometime this week just curious what you guys have and what you think is better?

i like the bold cause its great for text and email but i also like the iphone because of the easier browsing.

p.s. can someone make this a poll?

U4RIA
09-09-2008, 03:22 AM
I'd say get the bold. Touch-screen novelty on the i-phone would get boring imo. Plus brick breaker is addictive as crack :)

em2ab
09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
If you want something that works and works well, get the Blackberry. If you want something that's cool and your friends will envy, get the iPhone.

bubbley
09-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I got the bold and am in love with it...its more business geared as well..and i love berry messenger in general..but this phone is a delight and an excellent upgrade from my lost bb curve

Thaco
09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
This is an apple. This is an orange. Which is better and why?

jdmXSI
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by U4RIA
I'd say get the bold. Touch-screen novelty on the i-phone would get boring imo. Plus brick breaker is addictive as crack :)

It does... I want to switch back to a BlackBerry already and i've only had the iphone since the end of August. It drops calls all the time and hooks up to the internet when it chooses to. When it connects it will randomly drop the connection. In my opinion the Black Berry would be a better choice, Iphones processor is too slow as well, when your texting the delay is terrable:thumbsdow

bubbley
09-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
This is an apple. This is an orange. Which is better and why?

and ur a retard :dunno:

dr_jared88
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
My vote goes for the Bold as well. I love mine. I almost went with the iPhone and now am so glad I didn't.

The only thing the iphone slightly beats the bold in is the browser and media functions. That being said though; the bold is leaps and bounds better then it's predecessors. I don't find the browser that bad at all.

supe
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm a programmer and I get an iPhone as a work phone.

My opinion is that iPhone is the perfect phone for 16 year olds.

Its got a great interface and lots of potential but when it comes down to real power its very limited. No file sharing, no stereo bluetooth, no email searching, no copy and paste...

I'll admit I've never used a blackberry but havent heard one bad thing about them...

Thaco
09-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by bubbley

and ur a retard :dunno:

you should at least use proper spelling and grammar when insulting someone else's intelligence...

the iphone is a niche phone, the bold is a workhorse, they're completely different phones with completely different target audiences and completely different functionality.

i own and use on a daily basis, both an iphone and a blackberry (it's a dated 72xx model though) and they're completely different devices.

bubbley
09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
All you have to do my friend is do a simple google search of "bold vs iphone" and you will be able to look over some reviews.

p.s. get the bold and thaco is gay

Killa_Kam
09-09-2008, 09:22 AM
the bold is garbage, go for a iphone a million more featuers

98type_r
09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I have had both a 2g and now a 3g iphone. I've loved the phone for it's features and simplicity of use. Granted there are times when I would prefer to have a full keyboard for messaging but that is really my only complaint.
The iphone has more applications, although I have heard that RIM may be opening up development for applications down the road.

Like Thaco said, they're different devices with different target audiences. It just depends what you're after...

Cowtown_Raider
09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Someone summed it up like this and I agree:

iPhone: multimedia consumer device with communications/business capability

Blackberry: business/communications device with multimedia capability

em2ab
09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
The iphone has more applications, although I have heard that RIM may be opening up development for applications down the road.

RIM supplies a complete JDE and SDK with full emulator for download on their website, how much more open can you get?

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
if your comp/media wiz get a iphone. There are millions of applications for it, hell you can make iphone do what ever you like..ie TV Remote :nut:

chengj
09-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by supe

I'll admit I've never used a blackberry but havent heard one bad thing about them...
They work too well? They're too addictive?

Originally posted by em2ab

RIM supplies a complete JDE and SDK with full emulator for download on their website, how much more open can you get?
They could hold your hand?

Seriously, while I think it's true that the blackberry traditionally is not aimed at the same consumer market as the iPhone. That is changing. They are slowly working their way down the spectrum. They started by targeting the "prosumer" market, with devices like the Pearl. If you're sitting here deciding between an iPhone and a Blackberry, seeking advice on an online forum, you're probably not on the extreme consumer side of the spectrum (where the iPhone may be a better choice).

Since the iPhone supporters are mentioning the apps as one of the main strengths, I went over to the iPhone App Store to take a look. Of the top 10 paid apps, I see 5 games, a digital clock, a voice recorder, a ambient noise generator, a wallpaper downloader app, and a koi pond. Of the top 10 free apps, we have a wikipedia interface, 6 games, IM+ app (started as a blackberry app), a sports score app & Pandora. Of those 20 apps, everything except for Pandora, the accelerometer based games & the Koi Pond have blackberry equivalents. Ok, Pandora is awesome and I wish I had access to it as a Blackberry user. As for the rest, I don't see a whole lot that makes the iPhone a winner.

The iPhone certainly has that cool factor, and certainly has it's advantages and strengths (no question there). But at the end of the day, if being connected (email, im) is one of your key needs, Blackberry wins. I don't think the browser is significantly better enough on the iPhone, to trump the OS 4.5+ browser available on the Bold (and others Blackberries soon). So unless the flashiness, the cool factor and the Koi pond like apps are winners for you...

DGill
09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
bold ftmfw ive tried them both out and stuck with the bold

bigbadboss101
09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I am with Telus. Don't get either yet.

chengj
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I am with Telus. Don't get either yet.

That's a biased, yet oddly fair statement. Rogers is ripping you off for both devices (especially the Bold). Maybe that's a subtle way of saying the Thunder/Storm/whateveritscalled (touchscreen BB) is coming soon?

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by chengj

Since the iPhone supporters are mentioning the apps as one of the main strengths, I went over to the iPhone App Store to take a look. Of the top 10 paid apps, I see 5 games, a digital clock, a voice recorder, a ambient noise generator, a wallpaper downloader app, and a koi pond.

You have to know what your looking for and finding them in the apps store usually isnt gonna happen.

Installer/Cydia is your best bet, load up sources found on the net...you can find anything on google. You can find things like Quake 1, countless amounts of games, System emulators on cydia :drool: and other apps like Appollo, iflix, touchpad pro, guitar emulators, beat boxs, iradio, rss feeds.

Internet and youtube is way better on Iphone than on the bold. Yay for bbmessenger.:dunno:

ray8181
09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
well i ended up going with the bold just because dont really have a reason behind it. Thanks for all the help!

beyondmike
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ray8181
well i ended up going with the bold just because dont really have a reason behind it. Thanks for all the help!

good choice....i had them both and now still have the bold. iphone lasted a week with me but emails are big for me and so is battery life so everyone has their own preferences on what they want in a phone. you will not be disappointed with the bold.

aklalani
09-10-2008, 11:34 PM
iphone is a million times better than the bold. only if it is jailbroken that is. :D

chengj
09-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by aklalani
iphone is a million times better than the bold. only if it is jailbroken that is. :D

Honest question: In your opinion, why? Shiny, cooler and because it's Apple are not valid answers. If the apps are seriously what separates it, what does it do that other devices don't? SpoonEK9@STRD mentioned a few, and that's good to hear. "Million times better" is a bold (no pun intended) claim.

aklalani
09-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by chengj

Honest question: In your opinion, why? Shiny, cooler and because it's Apple are not valid answers. If the apps are seriously what separates it, what does it do that other devices don't? SpoonEK9@STRD mentioned a few, and that's good to hear. "Million times better" is a bold (no pun intended) claim.

first of all themes. not sure if BB's have themes but even if they do they will be no where near the style and creativity that is embedded in many of the themes available for the iphone.

ease of use. how many of us have itunes? through itunes, most aspects of the iphone can be controlled. the BB does have desktop manager but does not include many of the functions that itunes includes such as music, pictures etc....

solves boredom. the amount of games available for the iphone is amazing. old nes games from back in the days even work on it. examples include donkey kong, paper boy etc...

design. just looks better.

cool apps. have u heard of shazam? its free from the itunes store. allows you to find the name and artist of a song while your hearing it on the radio or wherever by clicking the app. it listens to the music, sends it to a database which sends you the name and artist of the song. im sure the BB does not have anything similar to this.

these are just a few of the things that in "my opinion" make the iphone uncomparable to the blackberry bold.

chengj
09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by aklalani

first of all themes. not sure if BB's have themes but even if they do they will be no where near the style and creativity that is embedded in many of the themes available for the iphone.

ease of use. how many of us have itunes? through itunes, most aspects of the iphone can be controlled. the BB does have desktop manager but does not include many of the functions that itunes includes such as music, pictures etc....

solves boredom. the amount of games available for the iphone is amazing. old nes games from back in the days even work on it. examples include donkey kong, paper boy etc...

design. just looks better.

cool apps. have u heard of shazam? its free from the itunes store. allows you to find the name and artist of a song while your hearing it on the radio or wherever by clicking the app. it listens to the music, sends it to a database which sends you the name and artist of the song. im sure the BB does not have anything similar to this.

these are just a few of the things that in "my opinion" make the iphone uncomparable to the blackberry bold.

BB has lots of themes. Anyone can develop their own themes, and thus there are a lot of them. If you don't know if they exist or what they look like, I can't accept your statement that they can't compare; regardless of whether it's true or not. Next. :)

The bold has itunes sync capability. I'll give you that the sync probably isn't quite as clean as with an apple device.

Games list is extensive on the Blackberry as well (everything from Guitar Hero to Call of Duty 4 to NES emulators).

I'll give you design (even though that's largely subjective).

Shazam sounds cool. But all that says even more that the two devices, despite the competitiveness of the two companies, and their desire to break into each others' markets, that the two devices, are still largely targeted to different crowds. Either way, I don't think either device earns the title of "million times better". I was sitting chatting with a couple iphone users last night, and they were talking about the trouble of getting email set up with their corporate networks. My blackberry just worked. If I get bored and want some toys, I'll buy an iPhone. ;)