PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR: Better Transmission Than GT-R

heavyD
09-09-2008, 07:34 AM
For those who say all dual clutch manuals are the same;

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/09/2008-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-mr-better-transmission-than-gt-r.html

Funny that a supercar like the GTR comes with a transmission that has child lock type control on the paddles.

Shift_Perform
09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
nissan has shitty clutches...period

i say this including hte GTR

heavyD
09-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Shift_Perform

:confused:

Inzane
09-09-2008, 07:51 AM

:dunno: I own 3 manual transmission Nissans currently. All of them are smooth and problem free.

Please elaborate on your baseless comment.

hampstor
09-09-2008, 08:07 AM

Do you own/have driven a GTR and thus can make such a statement? Or did you just read the title, saw the word 'clutch' and without even reading the article add your 2 cents?

heavyD
09-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Actually if you continue to read the long term GTR Edmunds has had to bring the car into the dealership for numerous issues including leaking fuel:eek: :eek:. I was hoping that the GTR would not be victimized of Nissan's usual substandard build quality but it appears that may not be the case.:thumbsdow

Inzane
09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Nissan's usual substandard build quality

Excuse me? :confused:

rage2
09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Reading the article...

1. I like the EVO way.
2. Not a big diff, I usually just use paddles myself.
3. I like the GTR way. My GTI does a shift when I press a paddle to go into Manual mode, one of the things that kinda annoys me.
4. I like the EVO way. It'd be nice if there was no timeout tho hehe. The GTI only has timeout, I can't control when to flip back to auto mode.

It'd be nice if you can configure it just the way you like it haha. I'm sure it's programmable if you have a Mitsu computer.

Xtrema
09-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

You have an 05 Altima, you should know.

Inzane
09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
You have an 05 Altima, you should know.

Can you be more specific? We don't have any issues with our '05 Altima. :dunno: (Actually the ONLY thing that pisses me off with the car is the trunk lid... why they didn't give that car's trunk lid struts, I'll never know. I can't count the number of times that lid has come down on my head. )

I can't speak for the 2.5L models though... I've heard that engine has had issues.

heavyD
09-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

I hate to let the cat out of the bag but if it's built by Nissan it's no Toyota or Honda reliability-wise. While not as poor as Mazda & Suzuki that are consistently amongst the industry worst, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi vehicles aren't much better than domestics when it comes to reliability and in some cases worse.

benyl
09-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Subaru has gotten better... haha

YamahaV8
09-09-2008, 09:48 AM

I hate to let the cat out of the bag but if it's built by Nissan it's no Toyota or Honda reliability-wise. While not as poor as Mazda & Suzuki that are consistently amongst the industry worst, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi vehicles aren't much better than domestics when it comes to reliability and in some cases worse.

If Mitsubishi's have bad build quality then how can they afford to offer the best warranty.

benyl
09-09-2008, 09:52 AM
They can't. They have had financial troubles for a number of years.

YamahaV8
09-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Good point

rage2
09-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Correct. That was a combination of the warranty losses, as well as their finance losses. They sold tons of cars to people that won't qualify for a loan anywhere else.

heavyD
09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Subaru has gotten better... haha

Subaru's are good cars as long as you have autobody shop connections for the inevitable re-paint (yes thos pics on the last page are rust on a car less than one year old);

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478116

Or the numerous 2.5L engine and 5-speed failures/recalls.
:rolleyes:

heavyD
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Mitsubishi Motors is a small part of the Mitsubishi Companies and so their financial troubles are minor as the big company will always keep them around for the namesake. Their troubles pale in comparison to domestics and even some rival Japanese automakers since they are small. Nobody remembers that Nissan could have folded in the 90's. It's part of cycle the industry.

SilverRex
09-09-2008, 11:37 AM

Subaru's are good cars as long as you have autobody shop connections for the inevitable re-paint (yes thos pics on the last page are rust on a car less than one year old);

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478116

Or the numerous 2.5L engine and 5-speed failures/recalls.
:rolleyes:

wow has it gone that bad?

I use to own a 2002 wrx and never had issues with paint, cluth, tranny or engine. Is this something that is common in today's cars? Could a good protective wax a shine help?

heavyD
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex

wow has it gone that bad?

I use to own a 2002 wrx and never had issues with paint, cluth, tranny or engine. Is this something that is common in today's cars? Could a good protective wax a shine help?

I can't comment on older Subaru's but apparently the new Imprezas are suffering from chipping paint especially in the areas in the pics. The paint appears to chip very easily from road debris and waxing will not help. Maybe Subaru will use 3M protectant in those areas on 09's because in a city like Calgary where the streets are always full of gravel you will definately need it.

Mibz
09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by rage2
3. I like the GTR way. My GTI does a shift when I press a paddle to go into Manual mode, one of the things that kinda annoys me.
Well what's the point of switching if you're not going to use it? Mitsus way seems logical to me.

b_t
09-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Well what's the point of switching if you're not going to use it? Mitsus way seems logical to me.

There are lots of things that seem logical, but are actually really stupid in practice.

BigDannyCool
09-09-2008, 12:09 PM
The article title is misleading. It's just saying the mitsu transmission is more convenient.

SilverRex
09-09-2008, 12:15 PM
thats a good headsup, maybe I will lease one for a few years fun

Mibz
09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by b_t

There are lots of things that seem logical, but are actually really stupid in practice. I won't argue with that, but can you explain how this falls into that category? Under what circumstance would you want to switch to manual mode without actually shifting?

heavyD
09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
The article title is misleading. It's just saying the mitsu transmission is more convenient.

It's Edmund's title and you have a point but on a performance car you can obviously see that the EVO has the advantage of being able to shift through the gears faster with the paddles than the GTR which you have to wait for a complete transmisssion gear shift one at a time rather than the EVO style where you do a couple of quick blips of the paddle and the transmission will shift twice in succession.

Aleks
09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I won't argue with that, but can you explain how this falls into that category? Under what circumstance would you want to switch to manual mode without actually shifting?

You might want to go into manual mode without switching gears that very instant. IE go into manual mode but you want to stay in the gear you're in.

Mibz
09-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

You might want to go into manual mode without switching gears that very instant. IE go into manual mode but you want to stay in the gear you're in. I was about to say "Just do nothing in the Mitsu" but just realized that the automatic would shift for you.

It all makes sense now, thanks!