PDA

View Full Version : Racecity is done, over, closed, gone.

Pages : [1] 2

Thaco
09-09-2008, 04:05 PM
just got this email from racecity...

Race City, Calgary, Alberta. We regret to inform that at 1:00pm Tuesday Sept 9th, 2008, all racing operations by Calgary International Speedway Inc., the operating company for Race City, are suspended until further notice. All scheduled racing events for the remainder of the 2008 season have been canceled. We would like to thank all our Volunteers, Staff, Fans, Sanctioning Bodies, Sponsors and Racers who have supported us through the last three years of operation. CIS set out to save racing in Calgary after the announced closure of Race City in 2005. Unfortunately, the rainy weather and lack of major sponsorship support and low spectator counts to pay for the racing events that have been held at Race City over the last few years has left us with no choice but to cancel all racing and shut down operations.

All rental operations under Speedway Track Rentals Inc. are still in effect. Race City Inc. will resume with business operations for the remainder of 2008 and beyond. Art MacKenzie of Race City Inc. is in the process of deciding what racing events and rentals will be held at the facility for the 2009 season.

Please see www.racecity.com or call 403-272-7223, for further information. Rome Awde Calgary International Speedway Inc.

ralliart_girl
09-09-2008, 04:07 PM
:cry:

tm88
09-09-2008, 04:09 PM
:thumbsdow
i wonder if this will be brought up in court with any sort of traffic violations. ie speeding or wreckless driving.
I can see some lawyers trying to pull something along these lines...but who am i. Not like i will be needing it :dunno: knock on wood.

Inzane
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, the rainy weather and lack of major sponsorship support and low spectator counts to pay for the racing events that have been held at Race City over the last few years has left us with no choice but to cancel all racing and shut down operations.

Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for any hope of a new replacement facility, does it....

dj_rice
09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
This is not good news..not good news at all....get ready to expect more street racing accidents and fatalitys

B20EF
Is secret street a scheduled event or regular business for Racecity Inc? They say it's staying open but all events are canceled.

BerserkerCatSplat
RIP RCMP :(

ercchry
09-09-2008, 04:12 PM
All rental operations under Speedway Track Rentals Inc. are still in effect. Race City Inc. will resume with business operations for the remainder of 2008 and beyond. Art MacKenzie of Race City Inc. is in the process of deciding what racing events and rentals will be held at the facility for the 2009 season.

what does this mean for things like, umm drift practice tomorrow?

Thaco
09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for any hope of a new replacement facility, does it.... it's kind of a vicious circle, they didn't have money to put in to the track, so nobody would sponsor it, nobody would sponsor them because it was a dive... ever since the govt regulated cigarette advertising in major sports (players was racecity's biggest sponsor) back around 2000 it's been going downhill fast.

I'll miss the place, i've been volunteering out there since i was 5 years old, it was my first employer too, just got recognition for volunteering for over 20 years... it'll be sad to see it go, but it's like an old relative that you have seen dying slowly for the past 8 years, it's sad to see them go, but you've known the whole time that it's a losing battle.

tm88
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
i just signed the petition on the race city site:poosie:

Thaco
09-09-2008, 04:16 PM
secret streets was a racecity sanctioned event, it's gone.

the drift thing i'm sure is just a rental so you should be ok with that... call the organizer and ask them.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
Is secret street a scheduled event or regular business for Racecity Inc? They say it's staying open but all events are canceled.

Originally posted by ercchry

what does this mean for things like, umm drift practice tomorrow?

From the sounds of it, neither SS or drift will run. As I comprehend it, any race events that are not a full, direct facility rental from Race City, Inc (Art) are toast. SS and drift were probably done through CIS, not RCI. You'd have to call that number to be sure, though. Drift might slip by as a facility rental.

ercchry
09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

the drift thing i'm sure is just a rental so you should be ok with that... call the organizer and ask them.

:clap: :clap:

i hope so! i just posted on the drifting furom about it

bubbley
09-09-2008, 04:21 PM
i lol'd @ drift practice for some reason..

but that sucks....

YamahaV8
Originally posted by tm88
i just signed the petition on the race city site:poosie:

As did I

Mr_ET
wow and I thought we had a solid year left before she went under :cry:

Toma
09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Race City is not DONE yet.

The group that ran race city (sub leased of the orginal owner and lease holder) is done. Rumor had it that Rome somehow spent and spent and spent, even though Race City was making a killing the last 2 years....

So, He threw in the towel, I have not heard word on what Art Mckenzie (the track owner), is gonna do. Is he gonna step in and take over? Let another group take over, or jsut give it back to the City early??

BerserkerCatSplat
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Rumor had it that Rome somehow spent and spent and spent, even though Race City was making a killing the last 2 years....

Even 2 years of good money was nowhere near enough to bring that track up to spec after Art let it fall into disrepair.

ever since the govt regulated cigarette advertising in major sports (players was racecity's biggest sponsor) back around 2000 it's been going downhill fast.

Scapegoat. I'd agree that was the problem if all the other tacks that were heavily cigarette-sponsored were closing left and right, but the fact is RCMP is the only one. This isn't the evil government's fault, it's the product of decades of mismanagement and the last-ditch effort to save the track was too little, too late.

schocker
09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I wanted to try my car out at secret street....bad news.

bubbley
09-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Beyond should lease it!

Beyond City!

Toma
09-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Even 2 years of good money was nowhere near enough to bring that track up to spec after Art let it fall into disrepair.
What did they spend/fix? The facility has not changed in 10 years.... Sure, they did the yearly ashpalt patching that always gets done,.....

Mostly volunteers and no appreciable wages, minimal advertising, next to free lease, CHEAP taxes.... :dunno:

I dunno where else they spent the money on? They even stopped buying VHT for Friday nights... The timiing system is the same old ancient POS that always gets repaired weekly... (solder and wire, a couple sensors)...

BerserkerCatSplat
09-09-2008, 04:43 PM

What did they spend/fix? The facility has not changed in 10 years.... Sure, they did the yearly ashpalt patching that always gets done,.....

I dunno where else they spent the money on? They even stopped buying VHT for Friday nights... The timiing system is the same old ancient POS that always gets repaired weekly... (solder and wire, a couple sensors)...

Proceeds from one race supposedly were being used to fix parts of the track that were falling apart, in time for the next race. The whole damned place was on a financial tightrope and had been for years. You and I both know that the facility needed a major money infusion and that the patchwork fixes were failing faster and more frequently. Insurance on a racetrack isn't cheap, the property taxes went through the roof. A ton of money is required to just keep a racetrack running when it's in good condition, forget when it's falling apart left right and center. CIS made a good effort at saving the facility, but it was too far gone and they didn't have the capital to resurrect it.

You mention that the track hadn't changed in 10 years, and that is exactly what the problem was. CIS's involvement was just the just the final twitches from a track that started dying a decade or more ago.

Sorath
09-09-2008, 04:47 PM
fucking gay, i wanted to make a pass this year

Inzane
09-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Proceeds from one race supposedly were being used to fix parts of the track that were falling apart, in time for the next race. The whole damned place was on a financial tightrope and had been for years. You and I both know that the facility needed a major money infusion and that the patchwork fixes were failing faster and more frequently.

Heck, even the toilets weren't working the last time I was there. :rofl:

Porta-potties and c-c-c-cold tap water in early spring FTL. :(

Toma
09-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
fucking gay, i wanted to make a pass this year
There is still Edmonton and Medicine Hat

BerserkerCatSplat
09-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Any idea on how Rimby's track is coming along? I haven't been keeping up with it. They got that big grant from the province but I haven't heard any construction details.

Dave P
09-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Good, street racing can go back to the streets!!!!!!!!!

haha

oh wait, thats bad.

Sorath
09-09-2008, 05:48 PM

was just using that as an excuse, i dont think my cars gonna be done for a run in castrol or med hat lol :(

Toms-SC
09-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm so angry. This is CRAP!

stefan.bounket
09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
well this is upsetting... i was gonna start trying auto x and shit next year :(

edit: everyone sign the petition?

Dj_Stylz
09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Kind of sucks i wanted to have a few more runs.

ercchry
09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by stefan.bounket
well this is upsetting... i was gonna start trying auto x and shit next year :(

auto-x normally runs in parking lots, so you should still be good to go :thumbsup:

Rocky
09-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Beyond City lolol -- I like it.

Extremely sad day for Calgary, if you ask me. Just so a bunch of new ungrateful fucks can continue to pour into the city.

... Just a little bitter...

stefan.bounket
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM

auto-x normally runs in parking lots, so you should still be good to go :thumbsup:

lol makeshift auto-x? or actual auto-x events... haha

ercchry
09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by stefan.bounket

lol makeshift auto-x? or actual auto-x events... haha

actual, last i heard they run them at the army barracks

Mr_ET
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I have a solution.. Rage save it:thumbsup:

kthxbye

A2VR6
09-09-2008, 06:19 PM

actual, last i heard they run them at the army barracks

Thats only partly true... theres very limited availability for that venue (there were only 4 possible dates this year) and nobody knows if it will be a venue for next year. A large majority of the auto-x events are held at race city either on the road course or in the oval infield. Luckily those are rental bookings so they will still be around for the rest of the season.

GTS Jeff
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
+1 for rag2 to lease it. He already has the fanbase to create customers for RC and he has enough common sense to keep that shit viable too. All he needs to do is port the Beyond sponsors into becoming RC sponsors, as well as endorsing racing at RC all the time. If the guy can convince everyone what a great car the Yaris is, he'd have no trouble convincing everyone to spend their money at RC.

Scope951
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
+1 for rag2 to lease it. He already has the fanbase to create customers for RC and he has enough common sense to keep that shit viable too. All he needs to do is port the Beyond sponsors into becoming RC sponsors, as well as endorsing racing at RC all the time. If the guy can convince everyone what a great car the Yaris is, he'd have no trouble convincing everyone to spend their money at RC.

+1

:clap: :clap:

EM1FTW
09-09-2008, 06:32 PM
+1 for beyond city!

bashir26
09-09-2008, 06:35 PM
"Beyond City" :rofl: :drool:

4DoorGTZ
09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Hmm, just paid for my Allen Berg Racing school lapping on sept. 30th, hope its still on.

ColoDano
09-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Bummer to see this, especially as i have only lived here (calgary and Canada) for three months. I had signed the petition, and have run once at the track, I did want to get my car more prepped and run again, so I guess it's off to storage for the winter it goes, and if this is how things go here, it will be taken back to the States to wait for my return.

drtoohotty1
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
signed and +2 for beyond city

MikeAg
09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
This sucks balls

Eleanor
09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
^ why do you care?

Thaco
09-09-2008, 08:04 PM
beyond city sounds shitty.

"Race Beyond" sound better

Z_Fan
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Race City is a shit ass track anyhow. We all knew this was coming. So Who cares??

You wanna drag race, go to Edmonton or Medicine Hat. These are the only two places in Alberta that have a decent track anyhow. Calgary sucks balls.

:poosie:

That said, boy oh boy I sure wish there was a good track near Calgary. :rolleyes:

JAYMEZ
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Kinda glad Race City is gone , it was such a peice of shit , I really hope someone makes something a bit more safe and with less pot holes!

ReflexFX
09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
beyond city sounds shitty.

"Race Beyond" sound better

nonono. "Beyond Racing"

BigMass
09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I think a new track, if marketed correctly, could be a big success. Race City did zero advertizing. I’m sure a huge amount of people would love to go to track days and make it a family day but people I talk to didn’t even know that was possible. They kept it almost secret like these car clubs are to remain exclusive, but if they opened it up more to the public, I think they could make money off track rentals alone. Advertise on TV and newspapers. They need to make it easy for someone to take a 2 day course and be able to go every few weekends or so to the track for some fun in his/her car. So far, most of these courses are word of mouth only.

Bottom line, I think what killed Race City in the end was shit marketing. Not to mention the facility was garbage. Never maintained, and the bathrooms where like outhouses. They new track needs to up the class a little. Dump the back road trucker look and go for a more middle class executive look. Make a lounge where you can rest at between driving sessions, grab something to drink and eat. And a nice proper washroom that gets cleaned up.

BigMass
09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Kinda glad Race City is gone , it was such a peice of shit , I really hope someone makes something a bit more safe and with less pot holes!

I agree %100. Total shit track. I'm sorry, but a swamp and landfill are not considered "run offs". The best thing that can happen from this is that a new track is built.

sputnik
09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Signing the petition is about as useful as praying to Ronald McDonald.

whiskas
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

I agree %100. Total shit track. I'm sorry, but a swamp and landfill are not considered "run offs". The best thing that can happen from this is that a new track is built.

yah it wasn't that great of a track.

There are some other things going on though generating quite a bit of interest so I wouldn't be suprised if another track came up in the future. The only downside is that it would likely be outisde of the city. You can't begin to imagine how lucky we were to have a full track within the city limits. In most other cities in America it's quite common to have to travel several hours to get to the track, which is a curse to those of us with stiff suspension and little or no sound deadening :(

ercchry
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
if it is just south of the city, that is fine by me :thumbsup:

... north of the city would suck

Cooked Rice
09-09-2008, 10:54 PM
booo. had the car all ready for tomorrow. even booked off work.

:dunno:

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 06:29 AM
I think we can all agree that the track was garbage but it was better than nothing and I think a lot of people will just not go to any track if it requires 3 hours of travel to MH or EDM.

I live close to 22X so this will be crap for street racing...

The worst part is when I moved here almost 5 years ago now I had access to 5 tracks withing about 4 hours of each other and the "scene" was much bigger.

I am fine with us having a track outside of the city limits but close enough so that all the young kids with turbo rhd cars have a safe egal outlet to go to.

I still can't believe how little effort this city has put into all this.

Eleanor
09-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Gov't should organize legal street racing on the new ring road on Friday nights or something.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

R.I.P. Race City

heavyD
09-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I still can't believe how little effort this city has put into all this.

Really? It's the Canadian way not to put taxpayer money into sporting venues. The money is always better spend on goofy artwork on overpasses, lawn weed police, etc. The amount of money flushed down the toilet in city hall annually could build a new race city every year but it's Canadian politics so...

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Really? It's the Canadian way not to put taxpayer money into sporting venues. The money is always better spend on goofy artwork on overpasses, lawn weed police, etc. The amount of money flushed down the toilet in city hall annually could build a new race city every year but it's Canadian politics so...

I will forever blaim the stupid fishes on the side of the new Glenmore/5th ave/mcloed underpasses.

Thaco
09-10-2008, 08:14 AM
if anything the city did exactly the opposite of "supporting" RCS, they raised their taxes, refused to renew their lease, conveniently "planned" the land for an offramp to the ringroad, then that changed and now it's going to be a community lake... the closest thing the city did to support race city is not push them out sooner.

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Who knows they may have tried to push them out sooner and Art did a better job then we all thought he did.

The city will recognize their mistake soon enough...

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
As much as I would love for someone to completely recreate race city, such as rage2, I don't think it's very viable. As baller as he is, the money required is tremendous, and then the lease is going to get pulled anyways.

Yea, race city was shit. Yea the track sucked balls. But I got to floor my car without worrying that I was going to kill someone, or that there was a cop on the end waiting for me.

As much as I would LOVE to see a better track, or see race city stay open (and improved), I would have to see it to believe it. I call bs on all these rumors, and beyond is too small to make a difference. Even if we get every single member on here to picked outside city hall, that's still <50k ppl, and some of them aren't even in Calgary, or could give 2 shits.

speedracer
09-10-2008, 09:12 AM
You can also blame the mayor Dave Bronconnier who thinks RCMP is a horse track.

It's too bad Rome was not able to go further.

On the flip side it has been great for myself to be in a small part of the 21 years of racing in Calgary.

I still cross my fingers for Nostalgia Race Weekend in 2009 ;)

dj_rice
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
As much as I would love for someone to completely recreate race city, such as rage2, I don't think it's very viable. As baller as he is, the money required is tremendous, and then the lease is going to get pulled anyways.

Yea, race city was shit. Yea the track sucked balls. But I got to floor my car without worrying that I was going to kill someone, or that there was a cop on the end waiting for me.

As much as I would LOVE to see a better track, or see race city stay open (and improved), I would have to see it to believe it. I call bs on all these rumors, and beyond is too small to make a difference. Even if we get every single member on here to picked outside city hall, that's still &lt;50k ppl, and some of them aren't even in Calgary, or could give 2 shits.

Amen

On a sidenote, is there SS nights in Edmonton?

Z_Fan
09-10-2008, 09:24 AM
^ Edmonton has more Street Legal nights than Calgary does. Mostly because they don't usually kill a Friday simply because there is a race on the weekend. PLUS, if it rains, Edmonton has the equipment to dry the track - I've seen them do it after a serious rain. In Calgary, if it just spits on the track, it's cancelled. Why, because no equipment to dry it cuz the place sucks.

Honestly, I raced 3 times this year, which is unusual, and I didn't race a single time at a Secret Street event. I'd rather go to Medicine Hat or Edmonton simply because the track is better, and when you're going for a real PB, you need a good track.

rage2
09-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
WTF? Can you please stop kissing my ass? This is just retarded.

I wouldn't even be able to afford keeping the washrooms running, let alone a fucking racetrack.

dj_rice
09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I wouldn't even be able to afford keeping the washrooms running, let alone a fucking racetrack.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

heavyD
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM

Tru-dat. I prefer baby wipes for my ass and that shit is expensive even in bulk.

kenny
09-10-2008, 09:56 AM

LEAVE RAGE2 ALONE!!

Celebrity breakdown... :drama:

Inzane
09-10-2008, 10:01 AM
So many in this thread seem to be pining about the loss of a DRAG strip.... Have you not figured out the more significant implication that we are losing the ONLY full roadcourse in the province??
:(

blownz
09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe it will be the kick in the pants Castrol needs to finish their road course. I doubt it though...

Inzane
09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by blownz
Maybe it will be the kick in the pants Castrol needs to finish their road course. I doubt it though...

2nd. :(

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Inzane
So many in this thread seem to be pining about the loss of a DRAG strip.... Have you not figured out the more significant implication that we are losing the ONLY full roadcourse in the province??
:(

I was marshalling on that road course last Saturday, trust me my pain is much greater than losing the dragstrip.

Looks like we're down to Namao and Stratotech lol:rolleyes:

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Hahahahaha

Toms-SC
09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Just need to kill a couple ped's while street racing. We'll have a race track in 2 years.

sputnik
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I find it funny that people are blaming the city and Bronco for Race Citys woes.

At the end of the day the fact that the lease wasn't renewed by the city was a TINY part of the reason they closed.

They ultimately closed because they couldn't afford to stay open. If RCMP was a highly profitable track you would have seen it relocated the moment the city put their lease on notice (almost 3 years ago). The fact that it isn't reopening anywhere else speaks volumes about its failures financially.

Blaming Bronco or the city or thinking that rage2 could own and run it is a waste of time and makes you look like an ignorant fool who knows nothing about business.

rage2
09-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Because of our huge yearly temperature swings, costs will be astronomical for roadcourse maintenance. It costs 2-3x more to maintain a roadcourse in Calgary compared to California (or even BC) due to our winters.

Look at the Montreal F1 track. They have similar temps as us, and they repave so many parts of the track on a yearly basis (Quebec government pays for it). Even then, it still breaks up over the course of a F1 and Nascar weekend, where they have to do quick paving repairs after each session.

Roadcourses in Alberta just aren't financially viable. I'd say borderline impossible for a quality roadcourse unless there's some financial assistance. The government has a billion other places to spend it's money before they'd put a penny on a racetrack.

CUG
09-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I think the operators aren't being truthful about their books. Out of all of the tracks in North America, RCMP was one of the BUSIEST if not THE busiest. There was shit going on there EVERY DAY.

This goes back a while.. I agree on them blaming the government for not allowing cig ads being a scapegoat. I think someone doesn't want to up to dough to actually maintain the place.

Khalil.e
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone have an idea of what it would cost annually to run a place like RCMP, with proper maintenance, etc?

It would be very interesting to find out..

Inzane
09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Just need to kill a couple ped's while street racing. We'll have a race track in 2 years.

No we wouldn't. We'd more likely get stuck with kneejerk Ontario-like car crushing laws for getting caught speeding. :rolleyes:

dansmith11
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
the calgary sports car club should take the money from selling that run down POS clubhouse that the city is giving them and invest it in at least giving us one more season of race city.

barmanjay
09-10-2008, 12:42 PM
the only way to get anything going cost effectively would be to "rent" a private airstrip,.. and then you'd have to get insurance, have medics avail, etc, etc.

DonJuan
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
this sux. So much for my roadcourse dreams. So whats beyonds official stance on street racing now? Since we can't take it to the track?

Toms-SC
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
this sux. So much for my roadcourse dreams. So whats beyonds official stance on street racing now? Since we can't take it to the track?

Take it to the track....3 hours that way

ya, right

DonJuan
09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Take it to the track....3 hours that way

ya, right

:werd:

That would require ricers errrrr racers to make responsible, mature decisions, make plans in advance.

Gone are the days of popping down to the track on a nice Friday night to get your hit of douchebagery.

We should rename this thread to "Race City: coming to a street near you!" staying inside is advised...

What will become of the jail bait track hos? Won't anyone think of the track hos?

banned3x
09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
its not easy opening a racetrack lethbridge has been trying for years and years ect

http://tailwindraceway.net/new_homepage/

the track is there and already started to be built but it cost alot to finish

rip racecity

stevo 27
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
the only way to get anything going cost effectively would be to &quot;rent&quot; a private airstrip,.. and then you'd have to get insurance, have medics avail, etc, etc.

we held a 4x4 event in 2003 called the showdown rented the field from a farmer and built the track on it insurence so if someone died you would get ass raped for the rest of your life was around 6000 for a 2 day event ( this included an onsite ambulance) so it's probably more now

there had to be a barracde between the spectators and the race track (spectators also had to sign waivers ect ect)

and so much other shit i was like 14 at the time so i can't remember everything but yea it's not cheap:dunno:

Thaco
09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Rome says it costs him about $10,000 all in to run your standard Saturday night oval event.

not including repairs etc...

Grogador
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Look at the Montreal F1 track. They have similar temps as us, and they repave so many parts of the track on a yearly basis (Quebec government pays for it). Even then, it still breaks up over the course of a F1 and Nascar weekend, where they have to do quick paving repairs after each session.
This study (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/const_maint/Cost_Guide_June2007.pdf) from BC says it costs $20,000 to $80,000 to resuface one kilometer of one lane, depending on how intense you want to get / how much life you want out of it :eek:

Originally posted by Eleanor
Gov't should organize legal street racing on the new ring road on Friday nights or something.
Wouldn't that be awesome?
Spotters with radios, tada you're legal almost. Also, Memorial Drive has fresh pavement right now :thumbsup: ...except there's cops going between downtown and their shop on 30-something street all the time :guns:

Z_Fan
09-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I like the idea of using the ring road as my new personal race track.

Thaco
09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
I like the idea of using the ring road as my new personal race track. i don't think the ringroad is gonna be the greatness that a lot of people are expecting.

cloud7
09-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11
the calgary sports car club should take the money from selling that run down POS clubhouse that the city is giving them and invest it in at least giving us one more season of race city.

so in other words, you want the CSCC to throw its money away... I don't think so man. Anyway, it looks like Race City will still be here next year and be at least a rental facility. One more season of race city after that is impossible since the City is taking it back. No amount of money can change that.

Inzane
09-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by banned3x
its not easy opening a racetrack lethbridge has been trying for years and years ect

http://tailwindraceway.net/new_homepage/

the track is there and already started to be built but it cost alot to finish

All I see there is details for a "drag strip". What "racetrack"? :dunno:

dansmith11
09-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by cloud7

so in other words, you want the CSCC to throw its money away... I don't think so man. Anyway, it looks like Race City will still be here next year and be at least a rental facility. One more season of race city after that is impossible since the City is taking it back. No amount of money can change that.

the CSCC is already throwing its money away just keeping that useless club house :)

but as long as we still have a rental facility next year, then thats cool with me, no big deal if secret street stops, i can just street race haha. but street racing isnt nearly as much fun as real road course racing so id like to still be able to get some track time next year before its gone for good. :P

cloud7
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11
the CSCC is already throwing its money away just keeping that useless club house :)

even if that were true, it is throwing its money away on its own club house, which will stop once the land is sold. Throwing money away on Race City, a facility that doesn't own by CSCC or have any financial interests in, makes even less sense.

kolumbo69
09-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I think if they made a race track into a more viable and money making operation they wouldn't be having these problems.

The first mistake was building a track in the middle of nowhere than than not advertising that it's even there. RCMP for as long as I can remember has always been a dark and dingy place that only racers knew of.

If they ever do build a track I think they would have to make it more mainstream to capture the public's attention. A good location for starters, such as anywhere on the #2 as it's easy to get to and highly visable. Family dining with a big name such as chili's or moxies would bring in a huge market of fans.

Thats just my .02, but it was going to happen sooner or later as all the people in the S.E made tons of noise complaints.

Motorsport is slowly dieing anyhow as people are lazyier and would rather watch the boob tube then get off their ass's to watch racing let alone build a car anymore to do it

speedracer
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by kolumbo69
Motorsport is slowly dieing anyhow as people are lazyier and would rather watch the boob tube then get off their ass's to watch racing let alone build a car anymore to do it

That's just your opinion.

While entry's have increased with Alberta Race Car Association, CSCC Solo 1 - Long waiting list, track rentals full at Race City... Dirt Tracks and Drag tracks opening up all over Alberta. Where is the slow down?

Z_Fan
09-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Race City's closure has been coming for a while. It's got nothing to do with motorsports. It has everything to do with politics. It is very simple.

The land belongs to the City.

The land was originally bought by the City for future expansion of the Shepard landfill.

The land was only leased, to Ben Docktor who was a rich man (oil)

The oval track was just a place for Ben to race his toys, and I remember when I was a kid of 15 or so ... Ben ripping around that Oval track in his sexy red racing machine...a Superstock IIRC.

Anyhow, the City of Calgary has expanded very quickly in recent years, and now the City wants that land for what they originally planned it to be - a DUMP!

So, the DUMP that is Race City is going to be a REAL DUMP very soon.

End of story, right?

redline
09-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan

What will become of the jail bait track hos? Won't anyone think of the track hos?

there was track hos? all i ever so was a bunch of rednecks and ricers....:dunno: