PDA

View Full Version : Testing before Job Interview?

Meback
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey folks,

I need some help, hopefully some of you guys can shed some light onto this.

The situation is that I am applying for a job with alberta justice- in relationship to their Maintenance Enforcement Division and I am required to write two half an hour test prior to my interview.

I am generally really confident when I go for interviews, but this test writing before hand is making alittle nervous, just because I don't know what the test is in relation to or what it is testing for.

Now, I am not asking for some cheap way out of this, as I respect the fact that they are testing before hand, it shows that they will not just hire anybody. I am not looking for people to provide me with the questions that are going to be asked, but simply to let me know what they are testings for (ex. Language comprehension, problem solving, mathmatical reasoning).

Thank-you in advance!

bubbley
09-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Cant you ask your contact there for what kind of test its going to be???? I would have..

Meback
09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I did ask that questions, and the reply was "basic skills". Not much help there, but it having the word basic in there does not provide any comfort either lol.

Sophal
09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Probably IQ and behavorial questions. stuff you can't really study for. telus does that kind of testing. wasted 3 hours of my life.

mazdavirgin
09-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I learned the tough way that before test interviews are bad news... I had a test with replicon mostly just basic developer stuff. Needless to say I passed with flying colours and was told my test scores were impressive during the interview. What galled me the most was being called down there and not getting to even talk to anyone about the job before I was given the test. This lead me to waste my time applying for a job I had no interest in doing. Now I tell people I am not interested if they ever talk about any pre interview tests... It is simply not worth wasting your time on such nonsense when you don't even have a clear idea if you want the job.

Meback
09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
^ what did they test you on? Thats what I truly want to know, I generally do bad on test, but given the opportunity to talk to pepole, I would be successful during the interview process.

trevh
09-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Police and Fire Fighters must do an aptitude test before they go on to the next step in the application process.
I was worried before I wrote the Aptitude test ... Just answer the questions as they make sense to you, the answer honestly sticks out at you when you read the full question. Take your time.

CaptainReboot
09-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I went through a testing process for a government position.

It was basically a multiple choice scantron IQ test. Some of the questions were "what number follows the squence", basic math, shapes, etc.

I think they gave us an hour to do 80 questions.