PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth removal from Dr. Summers

r0g3r
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
hi there

so i went for a consultation for wisdom teeth removal and the doctor that I went to is Dr. Summers (office in Market Mall professional building).

Any feed back on how the doctor is? Good bad? Success stories, distress stories? any feed back helps =]

em2ab
09-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Check the Better Business Bureau.

nobb
09-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Just wondering what they quoted it to cost to remove? I got a quote for about $300/teeth from Scotia Dental...and that is after the UofC health insurance coverage.

Havent really bothered to remove mine after a year to be honest...they really arent bugging me at all.

ecstasy_civic
09-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
hi there

so i went for a consultation for wisdom teeth removal and the doctor that I went to is Dr. Summers (office in Market Mall professional building).

Any feed back on how the doctor is? Good bad? Success stories, distress stories? any feed back helps =]

I went to him, it was ridiculously expensive, but I had a few complications and he took care of everything. Other than the price everything was great.

hash
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
i went to him few years ago. got my lower two wisdom teeth out. pricey but painless and quick recovery. he's an oral and maxillofacial surgeon - hence the $$ compared to a regular dentist (whether the price hike is justified or not is questionable)... but thats what you get for having an unregulated industry. part of the added cost is having a general anesthetic. if you have full coverage, good place to go. if not, you should be able to find a cheaper place. not really worth 2g's for two teeth.

r0g3r
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
yeah it is gonna end up costing me ~2300 but I have coverage from work n another health insurance so I'm just waiting to find out how much they cover and only then do i plan to go to him.

The thing is, I can't get the removal done at a normal dentist because two of the teeth are only half out and the other two are okay but still

em2ab
09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
You guys are lucky. I had 4 of mine removed one afternoon in New York. Still paying for that....

old&slow
09-10-2008, 05:34 AM
South calgary oral clinic (not quite right) is full of good surgeons for that!
Wife works there!
I can get a number if you pm me!

JoniBoy
09-10-2008, 06:02 AM
^^Thats where I had mine done...went really well

Kona9
09-10-2008, 07:01 AM
I have no insurance and had to pay cash for my work. I went to Dr Honke (Honkay) :rofl: in the Sun Life Plaza DT.

I saved $1600 by having him do it and not be put under. It worked out to around $100 bucks a tooth.

In all honesty, I was fairly stressed about it. Now that it is done, I would do it again if my wisdoms magically grew back in. I didn't even feel the needles of freezing go in. Not to mention, I didn't feel the wisdoms come out either and my bottom two were impacted pretty much sideways. Quick and painless!!

Dr George Honke
150-140 4 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3N3
(403) 262-4988

If you choose to go, say Jens (dental assistant there) friend Ken sent ya! They are awesome there! Pretty girls too!

Danish
09-10-2008, 07:48 AM
It all depends on how the teeth are coming in. My top two wisdom teeth were breaking in normally, and I got those taken out by me dentist. Just some freezing and they came out easily. Quick recovery time and definitely the way to go, if this method applies to you.

My bottom two teeth were a different story however. They were impacted, and required a surgeon to remove them. As such I went to Dr. Summers. I had a good experience with him, and no complications. Swelling wasn't too bad and he gave me the magic pills to make it all bearable :) .

It was kind of neat to be put to sleep, hehe man was I saying some crazy stuff when I woke up though. I asked the nurses if they got together and had bobsleigh competitions with the gurney's. That and I went on a high five spree from my bed. Definitely an interesting experience.

sdiep
09-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Oh man. I have to get mine done, and I don't want to.

I have to get all of mine pulled out - all four. And I have to be put under. I better start calling around, I guess.

The_Rural_Juror
09-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Kona9
I have no insurance and had to pay cash for my work. I went to Dr Honke (Honkay) :rofl: in the Sun Life Plaza DT.

I saved $1600 by having him do it and not be put under. It worked out to around $100 bucks a tooth.

In all honesty, I was fairly stressed about it. Now that it is done, I would do it again if my wisdoms magically grew back in. I didn't even feel the needles of freezing go in. Not to mention, I didn't feel the wisdoms come out either and my bottom two were impacted pretty much sideways. Quick and painless!!

Dr George Honke
150-140 4 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3N3
(403) 262-4988

If you choose to go, say Jens (dental assistant there) friend Ken sent ya! They are awesome there! Pretty girls too!

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/85600/AB/Calgary/Honke

malcolmk14
09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/82479/AB/Calgary/Summers

My sister and I have both got all four wisdom teeth taken out by Dr. Summers in the last 8 months. I didn't follow the after-surgery care instructions very well, but I still got through it with little to no complications. Very easy process, and Dr. Summers was great at making me feel comfortable and answering all my questions.

My sister had no complications at all, followed the processes very meticulously, and was healed up and ready to roll within a week or two.

I would highly recommend Dr. Summers. Based on some of the wisdom tooth horror stories I've heard from friends, the extra couple hundred bucks is well worth it.

It cost me $2600 for four teeth, FWIW.

Buffalo Soldier
09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
im gettin my 4 wisdoms pulled by dr. ryan goos at the mission professional centre in a few weeks. they quoted me for $1800. My insurance gave an estimated coverage of $979.

I cant wait to get knocked out and put under. hahah ive never been K'od before. And apparantly my doctor prescribes you to some fucken gooooooood shit after, make all the pain go away. ha

FiveFreshFish
09-10-2008, 05:27 PM
He's a sadistic unsympathetic butcher. :whipped:

He did a front tooth extraction many years ago due to a hockey incident. He gave me 6 freezing shots all in the span of about 20 seconds - 3 into the roof of my mouth and 3 into the upper gums. No topical freezing, no warning, nothing. Fuck, I nearly passed out from the pain! If you have the option to be put under, do it.

Aside from that, he did an adequate job. So I take back the butcher part. :D

I recommend Dr. Donald Wakeham in the Northland Professional Building (very close to Market Mall). I will never go back to that Summers bastard ever.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/Wakeham-Donald-Dr/2048797.html?adid=05000355
Wakeham previously did my wisdom teeth but was out of town when I had to get the extraction done.

Can't remember how much I paid, except that $1,000 insurance coverage per accident doesn't go very far when you add up the subsequent restoration costs.

djayz
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm going friday to Dr. Williams in the marlborough professional center. $1200 to take all 4 teeth out with sedation. Will see how it goes haha

Few friends have had theres taken out there and no bad experiences, should be fun :thumbsup:

craigcd
09-11-2008, 09:49 PM
I went to Dr Summers years ago, no problems. His assistance were also damn good looking!

zipdoa
09-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
He's a sadistic unsympathetic butcher. :whipped:

He did a front tooth extraction many years ago due to a hockey incident. He gave me 6 freezing shots all in the span of about 20 seconds - 3 into the roof of my mouth and 3 into the upper gums. No topical freezing, no warning, nothing. Fuck, I nearly passed out from the pain! If you have the option to be put under, do it.

Aside from that, he did an adequate job. So I take back the butcher part. :D

I recommend Dr. Donald Wakeham in the Northland Professional Building (very close to Market Mall). I will never go back to that Summers bastard ever.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/Wakeham-Donald-Dr/2048797.html?adid=05000355
Wakeham previously did my wisdom teeth but was out of town when I had to get the extraction done.

Can't remember how much I paid, except that $1,000 insurance coverage per accident doesn't go very far when you add up the subsequent restoration costs.

Wakeham is the bomb, one of my best friends lives in his old house in blueridge! He was pretty suprised when I showed up in his chair and started talking about his past, when he didn't have a clue who I was :nut: . Maybe not such a good idea to freak out an oral surgeon before an operation, on yourself :banghead: . Anyway, he did a great job, very professional, and I think with 2 impacted lower wisdoms, and 2 normal uppers, I was charged $1700.

bignerd
09-19-2008, 01:52 AM
It is much cheaper if you are not put under if you can stand it, I did not go under and had no pain (the freezing was sufficient) but I was pretty freaked out (kept my eyes closed the whole time, I didn't want to see the tools or anything).

I also don't personally feel comfortable being put under at a dentist office no matter what degrees the dentist has-for me general anesthesia is for the hospital only.

The dentist that pulled my wisdom teeth will not do it under general anesthesia anymore, he said he had a client that nearly did not wake up and it scared the hell out of him and that was 20 years ago.

As well your recovery will be extended from the general anesthesia, it makes you feel like crap!

I had two teeth straight through, they were $100 to pull each and took about 30 seconds to get out. I had one tooth partially out, it was about $200 and the last one was completely under the gum and was about $350 to get out (still only took like 10 minutes), in total it took longer for the freezing to take effect than it did to pull all four teeth.

Good luck! Some tips though, I had my teeth pulled on Friday so the office would be open on saturday in case I had any problems plus you had the weekend to recover (I still had to take two extra days off work).

imjimmylin
09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
When I got mine out I wasn't put under and I don't think they used enough of the freezing stuff... I could actually feel my wisdom teeth being ripped out.. Not to scare you or anything..

r0g3r
10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
thanks for all your input!

I'm getting mine pulled on friday. I will be going through the general anesthesia.

Hopefully it will be done well and no horror stories afterwards.

Prolifique
10-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I had four of my Wisdom teeth out 13 months ago, and I had a great oral and maxillofacial surgeon do it for me.

Was on Sarcee Trail, near Mount Royal College.

I'm not sure what my mum's insurance covered ( if it did at all), but it roughly came up to $1500.00 AND I had General Anesthesia done, so I was totally out of it.

Recovery was quick, in about 2 weeks I was completely healed.

It's really disgusting the first few days, because the place where your teeth used to be is all loose. And it hurts to brush your teeth too. I remember once when the bristle of the brush punctured into one of the top wounds. It was fucking painful.

Anyway, good luck with your procedure if you end up having it.

PRO-GIRL

r0g3r
10-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Sooo I finally had it done.

Dun dun dun.

The procedure I guess wasn't too bad; didn't get to see the doctor once. Oh wellz.

Btw, any suggestions on...brushing teeth?

I was advised not to spit.