PDA

View Full Version : So begins the years of Calgary street racing

Toms-SC
09-09-2008, 07:00 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/category/112/automotive-news/

With the announcement of Race City pulling shit canning the track early this season we can safely make a prediction...

So begins the years of Calgary street racing...

I don't mean the stuff like the Bullshit spot. I mean organized, selective street races.

Discuss.

ExtraSlow
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I think people who are organized and responsible enough to go to race city probably aren't the ones who do a lot of racing on public streets.

schocker
09-09-2008, 07:32 PM
To have to go to a different city to do drag or auto x though, i can see it becoming more prevalent in Calgary now that the legal place to do it is closed.
auto x at sait parkade tomorrow after school vroom vroom

DannyO
09-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Thats shitty, I was hoping to start going there next year, not that its a good raceway, but at least it is a raceway, I can also see street racing getting a bit bigger, but not much, like said, I think most the people who go there ain't the kind to race on the street, maybe its time for a petition to have the cops close down some street that isn't used much and turning it into a strip like I believe they do in Toronto, then it just leaves the AutoX and Drifting.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll build a decent raceway for this city, maybe buy the airport or something.:D

sr20s14zenki
09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Street racing is going to explode IMO. I wont do it, i cant take any chances with my license, ever again. I used to race at the street races, and go pretty much every time, but never stuck around when they were being dangerous, only when it was well organized and as safe as it could be. Im guessing theres going to be be WAY more cops out now too, to bust all the added street racers, and give the city a nice ticket revenue boost.

RIP Race City.

:thumbsdow

ercchry
09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
you best believe there will be a lot more street drifting, no legal practice time will be the cause because really with no practice people will not be competitive in competition

Darkane
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I doubt we'll see more street racing. If anything there will be another bullshit night on Friday. In reality the turnout on Saturday will be smaller now.

Tell me, it's a nice sunny Sunday and people are cruising around. Just because race city was open on Friday night this is going to stop someone from racing at a red light on Sunday? :nut:

frozenrice
09-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm sure with the 201 new cops, street racing won't be a concern.

BTW, does anybody know anything about that old airstrip out by Dewinton? I'm curious if it'd be available.

94boosted
09-09-2008, 10:47 PM
If the city doesn't give people a place to drive fast while being safe/legal where else will everyone go. IMO street racing will become more popular especially with Fast and the Furious 4 coming out lol :D

Zigo
09-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
If the city doesn't give people a place to drive fast while being safe/legal where else will everyone go. IMO street racing will become more popular especially with Fast and the Furious 4 coming out lol :D

June 5th 2009...*Gulp* Had lots of memory's at race city, sad to see it go.

InLoveWitRSX
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
better take off my tints and put my stock exhaust back on.. with the new cops roaming around, its going to be risky.

403ep3
09-09-2008, 11:55 PM
201 more pigs. I hate how they are always coming by my work and running me and my friends plates once every week haha

Go4Long
09-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
you best believe there will be a lot more street drifting, no legal practice time will be the cause because really with no practice people will not be competitive in competition

track is still available for rentals...

Chantastic
09-10-2008, 12:17 AM
If there is a rise in street racing I think it's probably a safe assumption that InLoveWitRSX is right, maybe not right away, but it probably will start to happen eventually.

ercchry
09-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

track is still available for rentals...

it is still to be announced for the groups that will be getting that rental time, so who knows, they dont like us drifter types at race city too much, we fuck up the grass haha

bituerbo
09-10-2008, 12:49 AM
I've lived in Ottawa, a city approx. the same size as Calgary and the organized street races did happen on a regular basis. When I moved to Calgary 3yrs ago I was really impressed with Race City and the Secret Street on Friday nights, there wasn't anything like it back home as there wasn't any kind of local track. Since then Calabogie has opened, but they don't have a drag straight.

I, too see this changing - I think there will be a lot more organized street racing. Taking away the "supply" of a safe, legal environment will not impact the demand for racing.

Go4Long
09-10-2008, 12:53 AM

it is still to be announced for the groups that will be getting that rental time, so who knows, they dont like us drifter types at race city too much, we fuck up the grass haha

from race city website
All rental operations under Speedway Track Rentals Inc. are still in effect.

reading>you

ercchry
09-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

reading>you

it is like dealing with.... well, that is disrespectful for them

MacKenzie of Race City Inc. is in the process of deciding what racing events and rentals will be held at the facility for the 2009 season.

take that clown! :banghead:

ercchry
09-10-2008, 01:18 AM
oh and also, from one of the organizers of half the practices

Looks like we may be SOL for the rest of this year in Calgary.

http://www.racecity.com/

I left a message with them yesterday morning and haven't heard back. I'll be calling again in the morning to see if we can find out what's going on with practices.

whiskas
09-10-2008, 01:47 AM
I would be up for racing for pinks down stephen ave at lunch if anyone's interested.

Cow catcher optional.

xLostx
09-10-2008, 06:52 AM
YOU NEVER HAD ME! YOU NEVER HAD YOUR CAR!

sputnik
09-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I will DEFINITELY be street racing now that Race City is closed.

:rolleyes:

4DoorGTZ
09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
BTW, does anybody know anything about that old airstrip out by Dewinton? I'm curious if it'd be available.

Its in serious disrepair, technically still in the airport database but last report was that is was unsafe to land on. Pavement in horrible condition and some sort of drivers ed course had cones up/down the strip. Its listed as being owned by an oil company, but is obviously just a piece of land they'r sitting on. I dont think the affluent people in their acrreages around the area would like the sound of racing in their backyard.

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 08:29 AM
2g buy-in winner takes all:(

alloroc
09-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I know in some European citys events are organized on weekends within the city limits with the city's blessing. I also remember a cscc autocross or two we had back in the early 80's before race city was running in new areas - on the streets where houses haven't been put up yet. Hopefully City council will consider these alternatives and market them. Personally my racing days are over old and slow is the life for me. But I do hope there someone comes up with somethign for the racing crowd .. and soon.

frozenrice
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
2g buy-in winner takes all:(

My vtech is broken. 20 lengths?

beyond_ban
09-10-2008, 08:57 AM

i see what you did there

SJW
09-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Can we race light to light on 17th ave now? It seems like the cool thing to do.

kvanderlaag
09-10-2008, 09:04 AM
It's a good thing I like building cars more than racing them.

Still, having to drive to Edmonton to race at Castrol is going to suck.

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM

bottle for bottle heads up run what ya brung!

euro_racer
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
the Saturday street races will not go up, if anything there will be more police preventing it and handing out tint and exhaust tickets...they have been successful with that for a while now :banghead:

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 09:21 AM
where there's a will, there's always a way.

Kids will find a way to race legally or not.

Go4Long
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM

MacKenzie of Race City Inc. is in the process of deciding what racing events and rentals will be held at the facility for the 2009 season.

take that clown! :banghead:

this year all the outstanding rentals are being honored from my understanding, and given that it's bringing them in money on the last year of their lease, I would think it would be a very bad business decision on their part to not allow certain groups to rent the facility regardless of their reasoning.

keep in mind that unlike race city sponsored events, there's no real money going out of their hands for rentals, the renter is responsible for the cost of the ambulance, and staff, and has already agreed on how much money they are giving race city in exchange for the facility.

The issue that caused them to shut the doors early this year was that the laid out a bunch of cash for events to come to town, and due to bad weather, or just a lack of interest in the events they chose to bring, there was poor spectator turn out, causing them to lose money on the events...

BlkMaxima
09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Lap around the city at lunch anyone?

Street racing is gay.

JeremyD
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ

Its in serious disrepair, technically still in the airport database but last report was that is was unsafe to land on. Pavement in horrible condition and some sort of drivers ed course had cones up/down the strip. Its listed as being owned by an oil company, but is obviously just a piece of land they'r sitting on. I dont think the affluent people in their acrreages around the area would like the sound of racing in their backyard.

AMA is using it for their fleet training right now, but it is in need of serious repair. AMA is planning on building their own track but that is a year or two out.

Perhaps they can be approached for secret street. They were uninvolved with Race City due to Young Driver's sponsorship of it. They are big on road safety and not racing on public roads would promote that.

Ca_Silvia13
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
I know drifting is not as big as drag or maybe even autocross but having to drive 3 1/2 hours to edmonton just to practice or even compete sucks my ass. Edmonton being the closest venue too, either that or vernon=6, Saskatoon=6 or the industrial park=30mins. Wow i guess i know where ill be practicing next year.

The fact city council dropped the ball on helping Race City relocate pisses me off. Just another reason why i hate Bronco, fuckin tool.

Spoons
09-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I think people who are organized and responsible enough to go to race city probably aren't the ones who do a lot of racing on public streets.

Yeah but when you take away that place that they loved, and still want to race, they will take it somewhere else.

I am against street racing incredibly, but honestly I can't blame them now. For some people cars are their life, and they live to race. With no where to go where do you expect them to go?

Redlyne_mr2
09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
People who street race will continue to street race. Secret street was more or less to test out your car and record some times. I used to street race a ton when i was younger... I'm no angel but it just isn't what it used to be. You still see it here and there but not nearly as much as you did 5-7 years ago.

toastgremlin
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by JeremyD
AMA is using it for their fleet training right now, but it is in need of serious repair. AMA is planning on building their own track but that is a year or two out. I hadn't heard they were building a new track, but that would be welcome (especially if they opened it up). Stray cows on the track make it kind of hard to practice your serpentine.

JeremyD
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I think they are having trouble finding a spot to build it. But from what I have heard it is going to be a big deal.

TorqueDog
09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Time to open up the "Blackfoot Trail Speedway". :rofl:

Toms-SC
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Blackfoot trail is perfect, same with Barlow and near the outskirts near COP for roll racing.

max_boost
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Those who were street racing before will still continue to do so anyway. Had a White STi pull up beside me yesterday on Blackfoot Tr. S, slowing down and waiting for me, probably trying to get me to race or maybe just say hi lol who knows. A few years ago I probably would have sped up and try to ricer cut him off but now I'm older haha

Casa
09-10-2008, 01:49 PM
lawl @ street racing

Mr_ET
09-10-2008, 01:53 PM
lol at you ^

TorqueDog
09-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Blackfoot trail is perfect, same with Barlow and near the outskirts near COP for roll racing. Blackfoot has a nice, smooth straighaway right after a set of lights near Southland I believe.

Who wants to chip in for the ET & MPH displays at the end of the 1/4? :thumbsup:

4DoorGTZ
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Dont forget the VHT through the intersection :)

alloroc
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Blackfoot used to be popular but it got too busy then the street drag races used to be on Deerfoot just past douglasdale before Race City was built, there were maybe one or two commuters on a Friday or Sat. night. Funny how much the city has grown.

CTSV
09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Deerfoot racing was closer to MacKenzie. Long before Douglasdale started. Cops eventually parked a manned semitrailer by the side of the road so they could get license plates etc. I think that finished it. That and the fact that it is packed with traffic.
Anyone old enough to remember the old racetrack where the Flying J truck stop is? I remember hitting 100mph in my 56 Chev and instantly fading the brakes trying to slow down to make a sharp left hand turn. (1973)That strip went across where Deerfoot is and into Douglas Ridge. That place made Race City look pretty nice when it opened.

DonJuan
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM
is it just me or am I seeing more ricers at traffic lights lately, ripe for the owning.

As much as I hate street racing, without a facility, there is no alternative. So we'll be back to seeing douchebags doing 160 weaving through deerfoot rush hour. Injuries and deaths to the innocent and then knee jerk reaction is ticketing everyone with a fart can.

Go4Long
09-11-2008, 03:19 PM
in all fairness race city was really nice when it opened, and really has only taken a downhill turn here in the last few seasons...which is to be expected when the maintenance policy is basically to not do maintenance.

403Gemini
09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
People who street race will continue to street race. Secret street was more or less to test out your car and record some times. I used to street race a ton when i was younger... I'm no angel but it just isn't what it used to be. You still see it here and there but not nearly as much as you did 5-7 years ago.

Remember the days of speedcowboys or whatever? lol when they got the picture with the cop? haha good times.

CUG
09-12-2008, 04:07 AM
LOL I saw some shit-fag wipe out into a curb and blow his diff out completely right in front of a cop while trying to drift the light posts in Shawnessy. (recently)

vannilajoe
09-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Wow, a whole bunch of users that believe that street racing will rise because the raceway is closed. Hate to break it to you all but it happened when the raceway was open.

It seems hilarious and extremely sad to me that "racers" would even think to blame the closing of a track as an acceptable excuse to why people will be racing on the public roadways.

Fast cars go fast anywhere they can. It doesn't take a track to invite drivers to press harder on the gas.

If you think people will come to a track. Go to a bank, get a loan and build a track. Otherwise don't find excuses to justify street racing.

alloroc
09-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by CTSV
Deerfoot racing was closer to MacKenzie. Long before Douglasdale started. Cops eventually parked a manned semitrailer by the side of the road so they could get license plates etc. I think that finished it. That and the fact that it is packed with traffic.
Anyone old enough to remember the old racetrack where the Flying J truck stop is? I remember hitting 100mph in my 56 Chev and instantly fading the brakes trying to slow down to make a sharp left hand turn. (1973)That strip went across where Deerfoot is and into Douglas Ridge. That place made Race City look pretty nice when it opened.

I remember that it was only a 1/8 mile strip too.

It was a bomber command training airport in WW2. I also remember my old man taking me to watch the races and derbys at super 8 speedway.

TorqueDog
09-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by vannilajoe
Wow, a whole bunch of users that believe that street racing will rise because the raceway is closed. Hate to break it to you all but it happened when the raceway was open.I'm pretty sure the majority of us are kidding.

People who are going to street race are going to do so regardless of the existence of a track.

403Gemini
09-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow, a whole bunch of users that believe that street racing will rise because the raceway is closed. Hate to break it to you all but it happened when the raceway was open.

It seems hilarious and extremely sad to me that "racers" would even think to blame the closing of a track as an acceptable excuse to why people will be racing on the public roadways.

Fast cars go fast anywhere they can. It doesn't take a track to invite drivers to press harder on the gas.

If you think people will come to a track. Go to a bank, get a loan and build a track. Otherwise don't find excuses to justify street racing.

I think you're completely missing the point. Yes street racing has always been around and will always be around, just now there will be a larger influx of it.

Second, I dont think anybody is trying to give an EXCUSE as to why it'll be more common, but rather an EXPLANATION.

Chances are 90% of the advocates who said "Take it to the track" wont partake in street racing, however you'll have the other 10% who will need their "fix" and flock to the street racing crowd.

Lastly you're telling us to go get a loan and open our own track... :rolleyes: Why are you on a car forum? We're trying to come up with solutions and reasoning why we should have a track that we, the car enthusiasts can share as an outlet to express our hobby. Race City was a great place to meet people. A great place for clubs to catch up with each other and talk about their cars. Sure beyond meets are nice and all, but you have a lot of big mouth morons who claim their car is t3h fastest... least at race city somebody can say "prove it!" and do it in a safe environment.

SNAATCH
09-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Apparetly Secret Street will still run if the Weather permits. :drama:

DonJuan
09-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Here is why the track was useful in curbing alot of dangerous streetracing:
1. Douchebag watches fast and furious/inital d etc

2. Buys civic/crapalier he then goes on ebay and spends $100 and recieves in the mail, short ram intake and fart can.

3. Douchebag now believes his car can run 12's. And proceeds to go around racing everyone and everything.

4. He hears that word on the street is friday nights is where Toretto hangs out.

5. After installing his in car lights he goes to the track and proceeds to get pwn3d by everything.

6. Douchebag becomes emo douchebag and decides to spend his time cutting himself.

Without the "intervention" of the secret street night this douchebag and others like him would have been left to their own devices, and crashing/killing others in the process.

As far as fast cars going fast anywhere they can; I'm sure if you ask anyone on here with truly fast cars if they even go anywhere near the bullshit races on Saturdays, the answer is Hell NO. But you don't know that, cuz ure still at step 3.

VetteRacin
09-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

2. Buys civic/crapalier he then goes on ebay and spends $100 and recieves in the mail, short ram intake and fart can.

Not all are like that fyi

randedge
09-12-2008, 09:38 PM
What we need are high profile deaths in speeding / stunting related accidents.

I'll volunteer and take one for all yous guys.

tedstriker
09-14-2008, 08:38 PM
I think most people who go to Rae City are interested in getting an elapsed time and MPH for a 1/4 mile.

403Gemini
09-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by VetteRacin

Not all are like that fyi

You're right, some buy 240sx's ;)

Toms-SC
09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
In the Sun today:

"Mon, September 15, 2008
Owner predicts street mayhem
UPDATED: 2008-09-15 02:12:13 MST

By DAVE DORMER, SUN MEDIA

Illegal racing is sure to increase on city streets after the brakes got slammed on the only legitimate drag strip in Calgary, says Race City Motorsport Park's owner.

Art MacKenzie says it will only be a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt or killed by racers with nowhere else to go.

"Absolutely," he said.

"When you're 18 or 16 you're immortal and you think that (street racing) is fun.

"When you get older and get a little bit more wisdom, you understand the risks and how much energy is in there and how likely it is that someone is going to be seriously hurt."

Race City Motorsport Park was originally slated to close in 2010 after the city didn't renew MacKenzie's lease, saying they instead wanted to use the area to build a storm-water retention site for the nearby Shepard landfill.

"I don't think the politicians in the city have figured out yet they have a facility they can keep at zero cost," said MacKenzie.

"Ours is about the only sports facility in town that has no government money in it."

Traffic Const. Mike O'Connor said police are disappointed the venue is being shut down.

"We're always concerned about street racing -- we hate to see it closed," he said yesterday.

"We are keeping a special eye on street racing as it is."

For the last three years, general manager Rome Awde kept the racing alive by renting out the drag strip and offering Friday Night Secret Street Races, but that ended abruptly last week when he announced that due to bad weather and low crowds he could no longer afford to keep going.

Racing will continue, however, for the next three Fridays, said MacKenzie, but once the season finishes, so will street racing in the city -- at least the legal form.

And knowing the powerful cars that run on his track now will likely be racing on area roads in the future makes MacKenzie nervous.

"The modern '57 Chevy is a Honda Civic," he said.

"There are street legal, licensed cars here that can do a nine-second quarter mile.

"That is a serious race car if it can do a nine-second quarter mile." "

bituerbo
09-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah I heard that report on the radio this morning.

DonJuan
09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

You're right, some buy 240sx's ;)

I see some have learned their lesson.

88jbody
09-15-2008, 06:16 PM
there will be a increase in street racing, not huge but more.

the people who can afford to will go to tracks elsewhere and spend money in other cities instead of calgary.

a good track would bring good events and that would bring good money to calgary.

me. I go to bullshit often, but haven't street raced in a couple years but I was building a car for the track, now with no track soon, I am not sure what I am going to do...maybe start racing on the street again :dunno:

ShermanEF9
09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
The shitty part about all this.... is the people like us (most of us) who don't get involved in street racing WILL have the finger pointed at them... "loud exhaust, tuner car! RACER!"
i see it now... get ready for a shitload of tickets.

Mr_ET
09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
so Secret Streets for the next 3 Fridays, let's enjoy it while we still have a few left...

bituerbo
09-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
so Secret Streets for the next 3 Fridays, let's enjoy it while we still have a few left...
Well I won't have a timeslip this year (with my new setup at least). We should talk about organizing a "season-pass" drive for next year, raise enough funds to keep the track operating friday nights for 2009.

zipdoa
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
I would be up for racing for pinks down stephen ave at lunch if anyone's interested.

Cow catcher optional.

Make it the foothills industrial section, 3am. I will be there in mah skylinezzz gt-r n00b!

DomesticBoy
09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Obviously street racing is going to increase. What do you think kept as all in our catagories? Race City obviously.
Im no Hypocrite, Im not saying street racing is bad, Nor am i saying its good, but as we all know it is fun just because you get that thrill of defiance.
Its obviously going to increase a little more, but when you think about it, There isnt nearly as much cops as there is Racers

Mr_ET
09-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by DomesticBoy
Obviously street racing is going to increase. What do you think kept as all in our catagories? Race City obviously.
Im no Hypocrite, Im not saying street racing is bad, Nor am i saying its good, but as we all know it is fun just because you get that thrill of defiance.
Its obviously going to increase a little more, but when you think about it, There isnt nearly as much cops as there is Racers

All I'm gonna say is if I see someone like you street racing, my foot will be up your a$$.

How's that for thrilling?

403Gemini
09-19-2008, 12:45 PM
the races that go on in the industrial area or empty parts of the highway i dont necessarily have THAT much a problem with. I'd still rather be the advocate of "keep it at the track"... but that seems tough to say now since the closest one is 3 hours away.

The street racers who are ripping along 17th, downtown, macleod trail, deerfoot etc are the ones I'm going to shake my head at. They're killing the reputation of the tuners and as said above, with more people driving like that in public areas it will only be a certain amount of time before cops start locking us down for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.