PDA

View Full Version : Illy Coffee

shaggin
09-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy Illy Coffee beans in the city?

Altezza
09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
You can find a good selection of Illy at Mercato on 4th. I also noticed Illy at Fiasco Gelato, but I'm guessing they don't sell the beans (only the prepared coffee).

Isaiah
09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
You can find a good selection of Illy at Mercato on 4th.

I find Mercato more expensive than most Italian supermarkets which also carry it. I used to get it at Scarpones but then I swithed to Lina's on Centre St.

shaggin
09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Cheers for the Help, I will go check out Lina's tomorrow as it is very close to me.. I am excited as I got hooked on Illy while I was in Europe.

toyboy88
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
:werd: +1 for Lina's...they also make a very good espresso/latte from their cafe in store :D

300rwhp
09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
that and lilly sucks

shaggin
09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
that and lilly sucks

Cheers mate thanks for your feedback..

300rwhp
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Your right that was not constructive, why dont you try something that wasnt roasted a year ago? otherwise linas. Try 49th parallel or even better intelligensia or cafe artigiano. All available in small local coffee shops.

Strider
09-11-2008, 12:39 PM
that and lilly sucks

Your right that was not constructive, why dont you try something that wasnt roasted a year ago? otherwise linas. Try 49th parallel or even better intelligensia or cafe artigiano. All available in small local coffee shops.

First post may be a bit harsh... but :werd:

If you're making espresso, you can easily tell that Illy beans are well past their prime... It's best to use beans within a week to two weeks of roasting. Illy beans will be stale before they even make it onto the boat...
Although if you're using preground coffee, then just forget about it.

Some good ones available locally:
49th Parallel - available at Bumpy's and Kawa
Intelligensia - available at DeVille
Artigiano (a proprietary blend roasted by 49th Parallel) - available at Caffe Artigiano
JJ Bean - available at Bumpy's (drinking this now, and loving it)

Isaiah
09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I think the reason some people prefer Illy is the way it's packaged. It's the time the coffee is exposed once the package is opened that is most detrimental to the freshness. Illy's cans are airtight and non-porous once opened, meaning the grounds can be stored a lot longer once opened than the brands which come packaged in bags.

ronaldo
09-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Why not try Good Earths new cup of excellence (an award given to the best coffees from around the world)? La Divina Providencia. Its a fantastic coffee from El Salvador

shaggin
09-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Strider

First post may be a bit harsh... but :werd:

If you're making espresso, you can easily tell that Illy beans are well past their prime... It's best to use beans within a week to two weeks of roasting. Illy beans will be stale before they even make it onto the boat...
Although if you're using preground coffee, then just forget about it.

Artigiano (a proprietary blend roasted by 49th Parallel) - available at Caffe Artigiano

I ended up buying some Illy from the Lina's and your right its just not the same as the fresh beans all over Italy and Europe, these ones here are past their prime. Thanks for the suggestions I am going to try some of these other brands.

RY213
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Where can I buy 49th parallel coffee in calgary? The best americano ive ever had was at 49th in Vancouver...

Strider
09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by RY213
Where can I buy 49th parallel coffee in calgary? The best americano ive ever had was at 49th in Vancouver...

Originally posted by Strider

RY213
09-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Strider. I saw your post but didnt recognize any of the names on there and assumed they were in Edmonton, *slaps forehead*