PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question regarding "Locked" VS. "Unlocked" phones.

Graham_A_M
09-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey guys, my LG shine died a sad death after the zip-loc bag it was in opened up while floating down the bow, and I got water on it.

So I need to buy a phone from here or wherever. However this is a first for me, and dont know how to get phones "Unlocked" and so forth.

Basically, whats the difference between unlocked and locked? I'm assuming unlocked phones have already (potentially) seen use... and are basically set to go with my current SIM card right?

I'm lost... Much thanks for any relevant help you can give me. I'm just not sure of how to get phones unlocked, or what to do from here. :dunno:
I'm trying to get a new or slightly used phone to maintain my contract with Bell.

toyboy88
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Both locked and unlocked phones run on the GSM network (Rogers/Fido in Canada).

Unlocked means you can use the phone with any GSM provider in the world (provided it is the right BAND frequency).

Locked means the original carrier of the phone "locked" the phone for their network only. (ie a "Rogers" phone you buy from them)

Most phones come unlocked out of the factory, unless the purchasing carrier gets them "locked" to sell to customers.

So just because the phone is unlocked, doesn't mean it has seen use...you can buy NEW unlocked phones from many places online/eBay.

Sometimes unlocked phones will not have all the features available to use on certain carriers, that is how carriers "tease" you to get one of their phones from them (and usually charge more for the same phone).

Hope that helps! :)

sr20s14zenki
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
As far as i know, unlocking means, you can use a fido phone on rogers, or like, unlocked you can use it on any network. Some phones are locked to a specific network so you cant use them on others

your sim will work in any rogers phone if thats who you were with

sneek
09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Bell is CDMA and does not use SIM cards, you can get a CDMA phone, call Bell and pay 35ish to get it registered on there.

beyondmike
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sneek
Bell is CDMA and does not use SIM cards, you can get a CDMA phone, call Bell and pay 35ish to get it registered on there.

WHAT! Really??? I know Telus will not do this. Is this only Bell branded phones???

toyboy88
09-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, Bell you can do that as well, but make sure the phone is NOT blacklisted! Which means the phone has been reported stolen/lost, then the will not do it.