PDA

View Full Version : monthly and yearly expenses like?

kaishen
09-10-2008, 05:17 AM
am moving over to calgary soon, so thought of asking you guys here. what are your normal monthly and yearly expenses like? it would be really good if you can do a breakdown so that i can refer as a guide. What are the kind of insurance or utility bills which you pay?

Melinda
09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
That largely depends on where you want to live in the city and what kind of place you want to live in. Apartment? Condo? Townhouse? Basement suite? House?

ExtraSlow
09-10-2008, 07:14 AM
For auto insurance, you should just call one of the local brokers, as it's very age, gender and driving history dependent. If you don't have a driving history in Canada, you may be classified as a "new" driver, and insurance could be very expensive. Easily over $3000 per year. Mine is more like $1200 for a married couple with no accidents and two vehicles.

My property taxes are roughly 0.5% of the assessed value of the home per year.

Utilities (gas, water, sewer, electric) for a small-regular sized house are $150-250 per month.

Cable 50-150 per month (tv plus internet
Landline $40 per month
cell phone $30 per month and up.

sputnik
09-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
For auto insurance, you should just call one of the local brokers.

Bad advice.

Brokers give you the rates of the companies that pay out the highest commission to the brokers. I got screwed by insurance brokers when I first moved to Calgary.

Instead just get quotes online from Kanetix (www.kanetix.ca) or TD Insurance (www.tdinsurance.com).

ExtraSlow
09-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Well, yeah, you can't just get one quote from one broker and take it as gospel that it's the lowest possible quote. But I still think local brokers are a good source of information. Back when I was considered a high-risk driver, a local broker got me a much better deal than any place online. It pays to check them out.

Neons4life
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
It's so hard to say, do you plan on renting? if so what type of place which can vary from $600 and up.

Have to factor in

TV cable
Internet
Phone
Food
Auto insurance
gas for car
Electricity
heating
which this alone costs me around $1100/month

Then there's property taxes, mortgage or rent, car payments, etc.

kaishen
09-10-2008, 08:23 AM
okie more info

i'm 26, chinese, singapore driving license of 4 years accidentfree, staying with my aunt, so electricity lodging internet tv cable will be FOC.

any breakdown of monthly bills?
medical/tax/auto insurance?

anything else i would need to pay for?

dj_rice
09-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by kaishen
okie more info

i'm 26, chinese, singapore driving license of 4 years accidentfree, staying with my aunt, so electricity lodging internet tv cable will be FOC.

any breakdown of monthly bills?
medical/tax/auto insurance?

anything else i would need to pay for?

Look at the post above you, this isn't even including entertainment/going out costs

rc2002
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Unless you tell how much you make, there's no way we'll know how much tax you pay.

bubbley
09-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Car insurance: http://www.canadiandirect.com/

Thank me later...:)

dj_rice
09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Unless you tell how much you make, there's no way we'll know how much tax you pay.

Same goes for medical....do you have leprosy?Genital herpes?

GQBalla
09-10-2008, 09:55 AM
HIV?

barmanjay
09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
isnt paying medical going the way of the dodo next year?

kaishen
09-10-2008, 10:18 AM
hmm...am a fresh degree holder in bachelor degree in electrical electronics engineering, going to look for a job when i go over. not sure how much i could fetch.

healthy with no defects. haha you guys are funny

kaishen
09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
what are the factors to consider when they quote the auto insurance? can anyone enlighten me on that?

TKRIS
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Better check to make sure your degree from Singapore isn't worthless over here before you do anything too drastic.

revelations
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
^ age, marital status, income, what colour you dye your hair (jk)....what vehicle you drive, how FAR you drive, what area of the city you live in, what deductible level you want, a member of a professional groupd helps too (eg IEEE) - see Meloch Monnex Insurance - they cater to "professionals"

bubbley
09-10-2008, 10:29 AM
what are the factors to consider when they quote the auto insurance? can anyone enlighten me on that?

-Accidents
-Tickets
-How long you've had your license
-Sex
-Type of insurance you would like ex. 3rd party, full
-If your the sole opearator of the vehicle
-If you drive to work on a daily basis

Call a few places but im telling you cheapest you will find is at:
http://www.canadiandirect.com/
Killed TD, Allstate and a few others when I switched just last month. GL

kaishen
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
degree is recognised in canada, no problems with that, just that i need to register with APEGGA to be acreddited. For UOC graduates, are they registered with APEGGA automatically or do they have to fill up the form and register also?

can i get evidence that i was never involved in any accidents and have been a smooth driver in Singapore, will that be able to help deduct some premiums?

ExtraSlow
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
For Engineers, you usually sign up as an EIT right around graduation. Then once you have your experience, there is the ethics exam and the work expereince references, and then you are a P.Eng.

max_boost
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Can't you just go to your local registry to obtain your driver's abstract and talk to your insurance company about releasing some sort of claims free document?

Monthly and yearly expenses is going to vary so greatly depending on your spending habits. I can never stick to a budget. If I have it, I will spend it. If I don't, I will save for it. Works for me.

Penis McNickels
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
isnt paying medical going the way of the dodo next year?

Medical expenses will depend on his status in Canada... Is he here on a working visa? Then I am guessing he will have to buy his own medical insurance.

If he is coming as a permanent resident (like a skilled worker, which I doubt since he just graduated) then he would qualify for healthcare....

But I am guessing he will have to get his own medical insurance.

As for car insurance, if he can sign up as an EIT with APEGGA, he can get a good deal from Meloche Monnex... It worked for me. They gave me the best rate after looking around for a few weeks. I pay about $1000 a year, but he can probably expect $2-3000.

One of the things about Alberta auto insurance (correct me if I am wrong) is that they look at how long you have had insurance and not filed a claim. And the fact that you have driven for many years accident free, but under someone else's insurace (say your mommy's) doesn't count for much. I know I ran into this problem coming from BC.

bubbley
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Have you had a license in canada for 3 years?

kaishen
09-10-2008, 12:07 PM
penis mcnikels>>thanks for the reply. i'm coming over to look for work and will be on working visa. dont companies cover the medical insurance for you?

i am applying for PR but everything is still at a very initial stage.

bubbly>> no my license was in Singapore so most prob i would need to convert or have to get my driving skills tested again.

are there other expenses other than car insurance and medical? how much would medical be, if you were to pay?

lint
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
am moving over to calgary soon

hmm...am a fresh degree holder in bachelor degree in electrical electronics engineering, going to look for a job when i go over. not sure how much i could fetch.

i'm coming over to look for work and will be on working visa. dont companies cover the medical insurance for you?

Have you already researched this fully? What are you going to tell immigration when you get here? That you just graduated, have no job, but plan to find one when you're here? How are you entering the country? Visitor? Student?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp

Eligibility to apply from outside Canada

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents:

* a job offer from a Canadian employer
* a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
* written confirmation from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
o In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.
o In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)

You must also do the following:

* Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
* Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
* Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Have a medical exam or criminal check done in the I Need To… section on the right-hand side of this page.)
* Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
* Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

Some temporary foreign workers can have Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) start processing their work permit applications before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion. To find out more, see Concurrent processing: NOC, levels O, A and B in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.
Eligibility to apply from inside Canada

you have no job, so this doesn't apply

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

* you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
* you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
* you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or
* you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

You must also have the following documents:

* a job offer from a Canadian employer
* a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
* written confirmation from HRSDC that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
o In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.
o In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)

You must also do the following:

* Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
* Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
* Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Have a medical exam or criminal check done in the I Need To… section on the right-hand side of the page.)
* Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
* Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

Note: if you are a temporary foreign worker in Canada who has a work permit under the Low Skill Pilot Project, and you want to extend your stay, please see Low Skill Pilot Project in the Related Links at the bottom of this page.

Is this how you're entering the country? Hope you've saved some money as a new graduate

Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

* you are temporary resident visa exempt and
* your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC (some exceptions apply) or
* you hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC.

To find out if you need a medical examination, see Medical examination requirements for visitors in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.

Note: if your job does need a labour market opinion, you can apply as you enter Canada as long as the positive opinion has been issued to you before you enter (except for live-in caregivers and seasonal agricultural workers).

again, you have no job as you enter, so this doesn't apply

dj_rice
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
^^^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: PWNED

dannie
09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
You shouldn't worry about car insurance until you get your licence. You have a licence from a country that is non-reciprocal with Alberta. You have to pay for the learners exam ($17.60), hand in your licence, get credit for your driving time, be without a licence for at least 2 weeks, get your learners (price depends on your work visa), go for your advanced road test ($100), get your drivers licence ($22.45).

You will have to factor all of that in before you bother with insurance. You may find an insurance company that will give you a 30 day grace period to get your licence, but that is 50/50.

Alberta Health Care will be paid by the Gov in January, but depending on your immigration status; you may have to pay. I think it is around $135 every three months. That price may be different for a new immigrant.

Depending on where you live in comparison to where you work, you may want to get a transit pass instead of driving and parking. I have no idea what the cost of a transit pass is. Parking downtown is expensive ($18-24 a day).

Gas is expensive here, you would want to budget for that.

Since the home costs are covered by your family, you may want to see if they are going to charge you rent.

You would also want to budget for entertainment and going out. This is a budget that varies from person to person.

Proper winter clothing is something you will want to look into as well.

If I think of anything else, I'll edit it in.

Melinda
09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
^^ AHC is $144 every three months and I'm pretty sure a monthly bus pass is $75

dannie
09-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure on the exact numbers. :thumbsup:

kaishen
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
hey guys...thanks for the info!

lint>>thanks for the reminder! gonna plan in proper and need a gauge of what i need to pay.

anything else i would need to get/pay when i'm there?

kontron
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
check your pm.

FiveFreshFish
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM

healthy with no defects. haha you guys are funny

Here's the APEGGA salary survey to figure out your ballpark starting salary. http://www.apegga.org/members/publications/salarysurvey.html

Another thing to account for is the cost to write the APEGGA Professional Practice exam. Not sure what it costs now but you have to buy the study materials. Pretty easy -- it's not a technical exam. It's a one-time expense unless you fail.

Annual dues are $265 for professional members. Not sure what it is for members in training... significantly less anyway. The dues are tax-deductible if you pay out of your own pocket, but your employer will likely cover the cost if your dues if the job is engineering-related. These dues are pretty cheap compared with other professions.

Senseiz
09-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Regarding the driver's License,

You can choose to go through the:
1 year learners (no driving)
2 years GDL (probationary)

or go and submit your license to Alberta Registry where they may let you jump to Full time driver after a class 5 exam. You must submit your license in singapore and you wont get it back. They usually approve everyone but it is a matter of passing the driving exam.

As for cost of living, you are looking at anywhere between $700-2000 for a condo/apartment dependant of geographic location in Calgary (assuming you want to live by yourself). Shared living have a slightly lower cost.

Income tax deduction in Canada in general is higher compared to Singapore. and it is deducted off your paycheck immediately.

Expect food cost and everything to be 2 folds more expensive here. ie you can get a decent meal in singapore at a hawker store for S$5. CDN$5 gets you McDonalds burger, not the meal. So include conversion of 1.4-1.5 that S$5 is now ~CDN$3.5. And you are talking about Calgary where restaurants are overpriced for the oil and gas industry.

As for getting you engineering degree recognized, I assuming you are a fresh graduate - you will need to go through APEGGA's EIT (Engineer in Training) program for 4 years. I am not certain if your university is recognized by APEGGA or not, but you can check that out yourself.

And please, dont bother flying here without an actual job offer. You will just get :whipped:

PM if you have more questions.

kaishen
09-11-2008, 05:49 AM
submitting the singapore driving license and wont get it back? then what am i gonna use when i am back in Singapore?

housing is not in my concern as yet as lodging is provided

i sorta know the food prices having been there in 2006, foodcourt prices are all $7cad-ish

i dont actually mind doing a lower level job or getting a lower pay at the initial stage of my move to gain some experience and to do something different. University is recognised according to APEGGA.

Will there be any issues if i go there on a visiting pass on a job hunt?

JordanAndrew
09-11-2008, 06:27 AM
submitting the singapore driving license and wont get it back? then what am i gonna use when i am back in Singapore?

i sorta know the food prices having been there in 2006, foodcourt prices are all $7cad-ish

i dont actually mind doing a lower level job or getting a lower pay at the initial stage of my move to gain some experience and to do something different. University is recognised according to APEGGA.

There is without a doubt it will be tougher to get a job here versus a Canadian resident but given the fact that there are a lot of jobs available in Calgary, it should still be fairly easier than what you're used to.

Maybe ask your aunt to get you some hook-ups, someone they know that would be able to help you get a job right away. It always helps when you know people who can help you, networking for the win!

If that doesn't help you, maybe try temp agencies. Heck give them a call before you even leave Singapore. If you're looking for experience, temp agencies really helps you put your feet in a company as long as you don't mind getting a pay-cut, which it looks like that you don't so there you go.

lint
09-11-2008, 09:04 AM

I THOUGHT you had thought this through until I read this line. I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here, so correct me if I'm off base.
1) You have no job lined up in Canada.
2) You are entering the country on vacation.

Based on those 2 assumptions, you will be attempting to get a work permit from INSIDE Canada. Requoted for emphasis

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

* you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit

You are a recent graduate, you haven't mentioned anything about study or having a spouse. You are staying with your aunt. You have no valid work permit.

* you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job

You have no work permit.

* you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or

You didn't answer my question from previous post if this condition applies, this is the ONLY condition that you could satisfy to obtain a work permit from inside Canada. BUT you just asked if "there be any issues if i go there on a visiting pass on a job hunt?" Well, just tell that to the immigration officer and come back and post about the results.

An no offense, but you've been posting on Beyond since early 2007 about coming to Calgary, and you never bothered to google the requirements for obtaining a work permit?

[b]* you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

You aren't in Canada yet, so you can't have applied for permanent residence from inside Canada.

dj_rice
09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Kaishen's next thread will be, "Hey Beyonders, thanks for all the help and information everyone has given me but I have been denied entry into Canada"

bubbley
09-11-2008, 09:08 AM
I think lint works for canadian immigration :rofl:

dj_rice
09-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
I think lint works for canadian immigration :rofl:

LOL I think lint has already alerted Border Patrol to be on the lookout for kaishen :rofl: :rofl:

Kaishen, if you don't have a job, I can hook u up with one, just need you to sling a lil weed/crack for me, don't worry, you won't get in big trouble if you get caught since your not a Canadian citizen so its all good and I pay cash

Weapon_R
09-11-2008, 09:15 AM
There is nothing wrong with you going on a job hunt while on a temporary visitor visa, but you won't be able to secure a job that quickly. You'll have to find a sponsor, go back to Singapore, apply for a work permit, and then wait for approval. I don't know if you can do it from within Canada.

Basically, you seem to be confused between having a temporary visitor permit and a work permit. Having a visitor permit only allows you to come for a 6 month vacation, at which point you'll have to leave or have Immigration come looking for you and deport you.

dj_rice
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Basically, you seem to be confused between having a temporary visitor permit and a work permit. Having a visitor permit only allows you to come for a 6 month vacation, at which point you'll have to leave or have Immigration come looking for you and deport you.

If you overstay and have Immigration come look for u and deport you....will they allow you back into Canada after a certain time frame or are u bannzored forever

lint
09-11-2008, 09:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with you going on a job hunt while on a temporary visitor visa, but you won't be able to secure a job that quickly. You'll have to find a sponsor, go back to Singapore, apply for a work permit, and then wait for approval. I don't know if you can do it from within Canada.

Temporary resident != visitor

And Singaporeans don't require a visa to visit Canada

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/visit/visas.asp

Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

* citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia (Republic of), Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa;

Weapon_R
09-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by lint

Temporary resident != visitor

And Singaporeans don't require a visa to visit Canada

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/visit/visas.asp

Visitor visas are now called temporary resident permits :)

lint
09-11-2008, 09:41 AM

Visitor visas are now called temporary resident permits :)

Ok, fine. But Singaporeans still don't need them. Wonder how that affects the application for a work permit then? No mention on the site about visitors from countries where a temporary resident permit isn't required.

kaishen
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
dj_rice, you are such a wet blanket.i always thought that u r a nice guy but hmm... haha. you want me to get the death penalty by smuggling drugs?

haha, all i am curious is about the monthly/yearly expenses that you guys have to pay, thought it will be interesting to have a breakdown and maybe will surf as a guideline for me.

lint thanks for all the reminders and warnings. Lets keep everything here friendly and nice =)

sigh...

dj_rice
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
dj_rice, you are such a wet blanket.i always thought that u r a nice guy but hmm... haha. you want me to get the death penalty by smuggling drugs?

haha, all i am curious is about the monthly/yearly expenses that you guys have to pay, thought it will be interesting to have a breakdown and maybe will surf as a guideline for me.

lint thanks for all the reminders and warnings. Lets keep everything here friendly and nice =)

sigh...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I was being nice and offering you a job and Singapore laws are death penalty for dealing drugs?WOW...Canada just deports you and your never allowed back in

Anyways good luck if you manage to get everything to come here

kaishen
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
yeah haha death penalty for any amt of drugs....being deported would have been an icing to the sentence which Singapore is giving me. You can still offer me any jobs that are legit. haha

ExtraSlow
09-11-2008, 10:24 AM

sigh...

I think you are thinking about a different forum. Beyond is full of haters.

kaishen
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
=) well i met some really nice people from beyond, met up with a couple in Singapore, 2 stayed at my place, while met 1 up for late night supper.

they are all pretty nice but smtimes some ppl in this forum can be pretty mean but i'm sure lint meant well. =)

lint
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Geeze, do some research, post up some info so that you don't get yourself turned away at the border, and get called a hater.

Suit yourself.