PDA

View Full Version : Lets Spam City Hall with emails requesting a new Race Facility

89coupe
09-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Why not send thousands of emails to this address [email protected]

flooding it with requests for a new track facility?

You could title the email "Calgary needs a Race Facility"

Just an idea?:dunno:

Mibz
09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
He'd reply with "Where?" and "Who's going to pay for it?" and "The last one failed, tell me why this one won't?".

89coupe
09-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
He'd reply with "Where?" and "Who's going to pay for it?" and "The last one failed, tell me why this one won't?".

If they can spend 25million on pedestrian bridges that produce no income, I'm sure they can come up with 25million to build a facility.

The idea is to get his attention first.

vengie
09-10-2008, 11:36 AM

the last one was in shit condition... build a world class track that people will actually wanna race on without fear of breaking loose at the 330'...

QuasarCav
09-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

If they can spend 25million on pedestrian bridges that produce no income, I'm sure they can come up with 25million to build a facility.

The idea is to get his attention first.

What do you think your average taxpayer cares more about?

89coupe
09-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

What do you think your average taxpayer cares more about?

You are missing the point of the whole idea.

Stop debating on whether or not the average tax payer cares or not and focus on getting the Mayors attention.

First Step!!!

2nd Step would be to convince him why.

3rd Step would be to find a location.

bubbley
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
He doesnt give a fuk!

89coupe
09-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
He doesnt give a fuk!

They will if their server crashes from massive amounts of incoming email all titled with the same subject.

CUG
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I like Mr. Taylors resolve. Emailing.

ExtraSlow
09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm all for a new race facility, but I sure hope not a penny of the taxpayers money is spent on it.

The failure of Race city is a great example of the free market working.
This is not a government problem, don't look for a government solution.

Xtrema
09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm all for a new race facility, but I sure hope not a penny of the taxpayers money is spent on it.

Bingo. Calgary probably need to double to triple in size before we can afford a decent race track. And the fact that we live where the track is closed nearly 1/2 the year means we need to charge 2x as much as other tracks to cover some costs and nobody want to pay it.

Weapon_R
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Bingo. Calgary probably need to double to triple in size before we can afford a decent race track.

obviously not, since Edmonton and Medicine hat are smaller markets and have good tracks.

It was shitty ownership/management that shut down Race City.

CUG
09-10-2008, 12:20 PM

This is not a government problem, don't look for a government solution. So.... the government making a lease renewal impossible isn't a government issue? I'm not saying it's their fault, but the play a LARGE role in the reason a shutdown is happening.

I don't think the operators are honest about the money they bring in and I think they've been crying "broke" purely for the sake of keeping money in the bank as opposed to fixing and making the track usable. It's a stalemate though because why would they if they won't have the land next year?

Either way, be honest about sustainability.

Race city is not a good example of how a track does in Calgary. It's a great example of AWFUL management. Race City is a complete Managerial failure on ALL fronts.

Antonito
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
As long as the government funds things like Libraries and Museums, there's no reason a case can't be made for government involvement in something like a race track, especially when the alternative is to send hundreds of people out into the streets to race.

CUG
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Antonito
As long as the government funds things like Libraries and Museums, there's no reason a case can't be made for government involvement in something like a race track, especially when the alternative is to send hundreds of people out into the streets to race. (10's of thousands)

ExtraSlow
09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
If that's a profitable buisness to be in, then once the current "shitty ownership/management" has shut down, there will be lots of prudent businesspeople waiting to open a new track.

CUG
09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
If that's a profitable buisness to be in, then once the current "shitty ownership/management" has shut down, there will be lots of prudent businesspeople waiting to open a new track. Just like that eh?

Xtrema
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

obviously not, since Edmonton and Medicine hat are smaller markets and have good tracks.

It was shitty ownership/management that shut down Race City.

Then why do taxpayer need to flip for the bill?

I agree that the City is also at fault for making it harder to keep track in town. But if anyone think that there's a market and they can do it better under current given condition, why not come up the the capital and just build another one or take over ownership of current one?

Originally posted by CUG
Just like that eh?

Why not?

The fact is that building a race track is like building a refinery. Cost a lot, little in return, ROI takes forever and nobody want one in their backyard.

89coupe
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM

So you would rather them spend $2,000,000.00 on a shitter in Banff?

89coupe
09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh a link to our governments great investments.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=295778da-62af-45fb-902d-bb328146b28f

89coupe
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
How many people have sent an email?

TYMSMNY
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
^ because there's a budget for that kind of stuff. No budgets for Raceparks.

I agree though, there must be a private investor out there that would build one but hassling him over email isn't going to cut it. I doubt it's actually him that's responding anyways.

89coupe
09-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
^ because there's a budget for that kind of stuff. No budgets for Raceparks.

I agree though, there must be a private investor out there that would build one but hassling him over email isn't going to cut it. I doubt it's actually him that's responding anyways.

Of course not, but it gets their attention.

They have the connections to potential investors and land.

But if they don't think anyone is interested, they won't even consider the idea.

zieg
09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe when street racing incidents go through the freaking roof, they'll decide that it's in EVERYONE'S best interests to have a track.........

ryder_23
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
How many people have sent an email?

Heard you the first time 2hrs ago.

89coupe
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

Heard you the first time 2hrs ago.

So did you email?

bubbley
09-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah lets send thousands of emails beacause we have nothing better to do :rofl:

89coupe
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
Yeah lets send thousands of emails beacause we have nothing better to do :rofl:

Just one would be fine.

reiRei
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM
here's an idea, organize everyone to casually meet on Macleod trail right in front of city hall, put their ebrakes on and block traffic... there's a way to get attention.

89coupe
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
here's an idea, organize everyone to casually meet on Macleod trail right in front of city hall, put their ebrakes on and block traffic... there's a way to get attention.

That is also a great idea. Definitely an attention grabber.

CUG
09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
So is Bukkake on the mayors wifes face.

403Gemini
09-10-2008, 02:20 PM
While i do encourage we do need more police officers, and we tried to get how many more with how many millions of dollars and we only got what, 100 more?

The fact is all of those cops the mayor wanted, would not be have gone against the gangs in Calgary. They would have been regular police officers who do the general enforcing and responding to calls, they WOULD NOT be part of Calgarys anti-gang task force. The sad fact is those officers are generally the ones responding to the calls AFTER something has happened so I'm not to sure where Bronco's illusion is of hiring 200 more cops is going to lower the gang crime rate... because it wouldnt.

So now a facility closes that housed the hobby of thousands of calgarians. Without that , half of those people will go on with their lives or driving out to Edmonton or Medicine Hat to participate.... and sadly the other half WILL take it to the streets. So with the 100 officers Bronco just got onboard, their hands are now going to be full dealing with the people who are going to be street racing.

GG city of Calgary.... GG :rolleyes:

I think we do need a new facility, and one that is kept up well and LOOKS good. Race City was a dump but at least it was a place that we could go.

Xtrema
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM

So you would rather them spend $2,000,000.00 on a shitter in Banff?

That's beside the point.

Government will ALWAYS misuse money, and misuse is objective. For people who care less about cars, money wasted on a track is no different than wasted on the shitter.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
So now a facility closes that housed the hobby of thousands of calgarians. Without that , half of those people will go on with their lives or driving out to Edmonton or Medicine Hat to participate.... and sadly the other half WILL take it to the streets. So with the 100 officers Bronco just got onboard, their hands are now going to be full dealing with the people who are going to be street racing

While that may be true, it's a weak argument. Just because there is lack of venue for you to do something legally doesn't give you the right to do it illegally.

89Coupe should start a trust and everyone who want a track should donate to it. Beating up on the City and current ownership isn't productive at all.

zipdoa
09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Just imagine...

Calgary to begin construction of Laguna Seca 2!

Will send an e-mail, have always wanted a real track in Calgary to race on!

Toma
09-10-2008, 02:34 PM
It failed 1 year before the City was going to take back the land anyway.

Who in their right mind would invest millions into something going bye bye no matter what next year.

The track survived and was viable for almost 20 years.

They are spending 25 million on a Bridge in Princess Island, 40 million for a Roof at Lindsay Park, and 2.5 million for Art at teh water treatment plant.

Just a fraction of that sort to of money would bring great facilty, with the potential for world class racing, like the Indy or Grand Prix as Edmonton scores.

Toma
09-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Email sent!

Come on people.... give em a piece of your mind.

T

89coupe
09-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I always imagined a Raceway Park right beside Calaway Park. In fact at one point long ago I thought of opening up a Go-Kart track beside Calaway Park. They market each other in a sense.

How cool would it be to have a Raceway to the west of the City facing the beautiful Rocky Mountains.

tsi_neal
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Find me an municipality that will approve construction of a proper race facility and ill provide you with prudent business people.

The fact is calgary does need to replace race city, and not just the drag strip. But there are many more hurdles than the average person is aware of.

If that's a profitable buisness to be in, then once the current "shitty ownership/management" has shut down, there will be lots of prudent businesspeople waiting to open a new track.

Hakkola
09-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I know it is a different example because the maintenance is higher on a racetrack, but how much was spent on Millenium Park? That is prime real estate, and while there are other features, it is North America's largest skatepark on some of Canada's most expensive real estate.

Building a track would be a comparable venture IMO, because while there is more maintenance, there is money to be made, which is not the case with Millenium.

Edit- it is sponsored by Shaw, but as far as I can tell the initial cost was covered by the city of calgary and calgary parks foundation, at a cost of 8.5 million...

89coupe
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I know it is a different example because the maintenance is higher on a racetrack, but how much was spent on Millenium Park? That is prime real estate, and while there are other features, it is North America's largest skatepark on some of Canada's most expensive real estate.

Building a track would be a comparable venture IMO, because while there is more maintenance, there is money to be made, which is not the case with Millenium.

I just mentioned this in the other thread.

Hakkola
09-10-2008, 04:23 PM

I just mentioned this in the other thread.

Great minds... :thumbsup:

dj_rice
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I emailed the Mayor about stopping asian gang violence....

rage2
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I always imagined a Raceway Park right beside Calaway Park. In fact at one point long ago I thought of opening up a Go-Kart track beside Calaway Park. They market each other in a sense.

How cool would it be to have a Raceway to the west of the City facing the beautiful Rocky Mountains.
That would actually be pretty cool. If Calaway still had a Ferris wheel, it'd be like Suzuka!

89coupe
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Day2 email to the Mayor

If Calgary can spend millions of dollars on a Skate Park, why not a Race Track? At least the Race Track will generate money!

If Rimbey can get support from our government, why can't Calgary? Facts http://www.caraceways.ca/2008/Drag%20Strip%20NR%20Final.pdf

We need a safe place for people to race and enjoy the sport.

modded46
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Just an idea?:dunno:

I see you're getting some great support here Brad.. Maybe you and your P-Shop faggots will realize how insignificant that forum is.

I told you this idea will end badly.. I'll be monitoring the news for the disaster when it happens.

marc
09-11-2008, 12:00 PM
i like the race fund idea cause the city of calgary will not give a shit about building a race track, especially when they can barely maintain our public streets

plus the insurgence of street racing tickets will help pay for all those extra cops lol!

race city died because it was a shit hole and was never maintained properly, the only ones that deserve the blame for it closing down is the owner and the management group.

dont waste mayor bronco's time, after all he was the one who said we should all race at the new track being built in airdrie (yes he was talking about the horse track!! LOL)

modded46
09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Day2 email to the Mayor

If Calgary can spend millions of dollars on a Skate Park, why not a Race Track? At least the Race Track will generate money!

If Rimbey can get support from our government, why can't Calgary? Facts http://www.caraceways.ca/2008/Drag%20Strip%20NR%20Final.pdf

We need a safe place for people to race and enjoy the sport.

Make sure you tell everyone about your "drive to City Hall" protest.. Cause that's a brilliant idea..

When was the last time ANYTHING protested ever went in the favor of the people protesting?? :rofl:

CUG
09-11-2008, 01:07 PM
So how many people acted like a douchebag and emailed "the mayor". What a dumb and futile idea. I'll make the trip to Drumheller when it opens and support that track. At least the owners and shareholders give a shit about upkeep.

This city has never had a qualified and competent track operator... that fact won't change regardless of what the city does.

Road racing and drag racing at bud park? I'm down :) I think this city needs to pay the price for it's citizens complacency.

alloroc
09-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by modded46

Make sure you tell everyone about your "drive to City Hall" protest.. Cause that's a brilliant idea..

When was the last time ANYTHING protested ever went in the favor of the people protesting?? :rofl:

1989 in East Germany.

alloroc
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Cug you are an idiot.

Originally posted by CUG
So how many people acted like a douchebag and emailed "the mayor". What a dumb and futile idea. I'll make the trip to Drumheller when it opens and support that track. At least the owners and shareholders give a shit about upkeep.

This city has never had a qualified and competent track operator... that fact won't change regardless of what the city does.

Road racing and drag racing at bud park? I'm down :) I think this city needs to pay the price for it's citizens complacency.

Originally posted by CUG
So is Bukkake on the mayors wifes face.

Originally posted by CUG

This is a good approach. I'll go down (no homo) on Friday and discreetly check out the "protest". If it's not a huge collection of douche-nozzles... I'll participate.

Originally posted by CUG
I like Mr. Taylors resolve. Emailing.

CUG
09-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Allroc, no one with a rusting second gen supra can call anyone and idiot.

90% sure it's going to be those same guys rolling around in mid-80's V8 cars with their team stickers plastered everywhere trying to 'stir it up and show the man'

I was alluding to that which means I probably won't end up participating at all.

alloroc
09-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CUG
....and? Did you shut off your sarcasm detector?

90% sure it's going to be those same guys rolling around in mid-80's V8 cars with their team stickers plastered everywhere trying to 'stir it up and show the man'

I was alluding to that which means I probably won't end up participating at all.

I'm sure the mayor's wife will appreciate that.

CUG
09-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

I'm sure the mayor's wife will appreciate that. I edited.

I would never waste time emailing "the mayor" for something like this. The only people still trying to fight the fight are the people who have no clue what's going on in the racing community. I was being sarcastic with 79coupe because the his proposal was ridiculous.

So...How is it idiotic to back up and support a well managed race facility that actually looks after things and cares about it's appearance? I'm really sorry you didn't catch my sarcasm dude.