PDA

View Full Version : Talking in Other Languages in Front of People

dannie
09-10-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd like to know what you all would do in this situation. My office is customer service based. We deal with a lot of people, everyday, in a face to face situation. If you are a clerk and you are helping a client in front of you, would you be offended if that client spoke their native language to someone else in front of you??

For Example:

Clerk: Hi, how can I help you?
Client: Oh hi, I want to (do this service)
Clerk: Ok, I need this from you.
Client: Ok
Client: blah blah blah blah blah (in their native language to the person that is with them)
Client: Here you go
Client: blah blah blah blah blah (native language again)

I can understand if the person does not speak english. But isn't there some kind of etiquette for this?

Do you consider it rude or normal. If you consider it rude, what is your response to this.

adam c
09-10-2008, 06:15 PM
you're going to get mixed reviews...

i think it's rude if your with friends who speak another language to speak it in front of you and you don't understand

if the people you don't know then who gives a damn unless they are hanging out with you

i do believe this is canada and people should speak english, but thats IMO. and to each their own

GQBalla
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't find it offensive. You must chill with a lot of people that only speak english. Ill always explain what I'm saying if anyone ask.

Juding from what you think adam c, so if you went to hong kong since they speak chinese there you should speak chinese because they speak chinese

AE92_TreunoSC
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I only think its rude, if both can speak english fluently and they are in direct contact with someone who can only speak english.

I work for italians, for the most part they use english, but the old farts always speak in italian, and it doesnt bug me.

szw
09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by adam c

i do believe this is canada and people should speak english, but thats IMO. and to each their own

How is your French?

adidas
09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Id personally say whatever language is easier for the 2 of you to communicate in!

Ill always talk in my native tounge with my friends and sometimes even infront of my non-native tounge speaking friends.

Although in a business setting there is pretty much only one thing you can talk about. I doubt you would be talking about another client but it all depends on how your business is presented. If its some shithole in the NE and your the only white person in there and as soon as they all start lookin at you and start talking you could only imagine what they are saying about you.

Weapon_R
09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
When a client comes in and prefers to speak in his/her native language, an employee who accommodates this is perfectly fine because it makes the client feel more comfortable while increasing the possibility of repeat business. Immigrants tend to shop where they are most comfortable.

beyondpinoy
09-10-2008, 06:34 PM
for the speaking their native language to each other while your there.... IMO is not rude, its pretty normal to me.. think of it this way, lets say your with a buddy and you doing the same thing, your at a office to fill out a form, and while your filling out your form, your talking to your buddy at the same time, aren't you doing the same thing they were doing, BUT in English?

IMO, it shouldn't matter if your interaction with someone is in a different language.... just because its in a different language doesn't make it rude, it makes it normal.. people do it everyday, i use to work at best buy, and when i had customers filling out forms for their credit card, they usually have conversations with the people they are with in front of me, in their on native language or in English... it doesn't matter....

now if they were talking about you, in their native language.. that's a totally different story =)

TomcoPDR
09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
It depends on the situation OP, if the client is honestly trying to translate something (i.e. to their grandma, uncle, etc...) such as a sale job where you're trying to sell the family a car or vacuum, then I think it's ok.

However, if it's a bunch of "foreigners" who ignores the service provider and start talking and bitching in their native tongue as you're trying to explain something, then that'll be rude (and the term foreigner include non-english speaking white looking people)

At most times you can totally tell if a non-english speaking group of family/friends is making fun and insulting the english only listener (whether a store clerk, co-worker, school, friends)

I just refuse to deal with rude and assholes altogether (such as your topic, if you feel a group is speaking in another language on purpose and not for translating)...

dannie
09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
^ Oh!!! I have a girl that speaks a foreign language. When she hears someone talking smack about another staff member, she freaks on them. Its really funny.

TomcoPDR
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by szw

How is your French?

vas faire foutre a la cache

adam c
09-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
I don't find it offensive. You must chill with a lot of people that only speak english. Ill always explain what I'm saying if anyone ask.

Juding from what you think adam c, so if you went to hong kong since they speak chinese there you should speak chinese because they speak chinese

tourists and citizens are different in my books.. to be a citizen you need to be able to speak english

Originally posted by beyondpinoy

now if they were talking about you, in their native language.. that's a totally different story =)

how would you know if they are speaking in a language you don't understand?

Hakkola
09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
LOL, are you kidding me? Who gives a fuck if they don't want you to hear their conversation or if the other person doesn't speak fluent english? I have this happen at work just about every day and I've never given it any thought.

When I'm at a store or something with my mom sometimes we talk in finnish instead of english if we're deciding on something, if we do that it is because you're not intended to hear, and its none of your fucking business. :rofl:

Rude? Go cry about it.

(Yes, I'm being a hater).

GQBalla
09-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Why would that be rude? Let me guess your white and all you do is eat at white places?

Do you ever go to chinese or east indian restaurants?

Do you get offended when u order in english and than they take your order and shout it out in their native tongue?

This issue pisses me off, we live in Canada a multicultural society. You get so offended please off yourself

signature7
09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I agree with most of the posters here. I'm not offended by it, some people can described more detailed messages in their native language than they could in english, not a problem with me.

Boat
09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
its annoying!
but im just jealous i cant understand them =P

hampstor
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Most of the time it doesn't bother me. The problem is sometimes, you don't know they're talking about you.

My sister was getting her nails done at the nail place in sunridge mall (TOP NAILS or something). The lady who was doing her nails was Vietnamese, and was talking to the other lady in vietnamese. They were critisizing my sister's hands/nails and making fun of her. Is that fuckin rude or what?

realazy
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
If they are critizing I agree that would be rude. I'm perfectly fluent in both English and Cantonese and I speak in which ever language the person I'm speaking to is most fluent with.

For example, if I am with my parents, I would either have to translate or discuss things to them in Cantonese. I think that is perfectly normal.

TomcoPDR
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
how does your sister know? any pics of this happening?

Dumbass17
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
i just wish they had a fuckin ESL requirement at my work
it's so frustrating trying to understand FOB's (no offence)

TomcoPDR
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

Start learning engrish

t_soarer
09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Love it or hate it, but it's something that won't go away in my opinion

EK 2.0
09-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

When a client comes in and prefers to speak in his/her native language, an employee who accommodates this is perfectly fine because it makes the client feel more comfortable while increasing the possibility of repeat business. Immigrants tend to shop where they are most comfortable.

habibi habibi...

8Ball
09-11-2008, 12:33 AM

just correct them "you mean ____" and them get them to pronounce it right.

they dont get it... repeat the process.

soon eenuff yu teach engrish ova da see!

Xtrema
09-11-2008, 12:59 AM

I understand your pain. Try talking English with tech support in India or SE Asia. It's even worse.

IMO if your customer talk in their own language, you shouldn't take offense.

But if it's a meeting in office or within a group friend where the common language is English, and all of sudden 2 just start talking in native tongue for extended period, I would take offense.

ralliart_girl
09-11-2008, 01:00 AM

omg..I totally know that you mean...

I have no issues with someone speaking a different language in front of me..however, when it comes to a work environment - we should both be able to understand each other.

Dumbass17
09-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl

omg..I totally know that you mean...

I have no issues with someone speaking a different language in front of me..however, when it comes to a work environment - we should both be able to understand each other.
ya
like sure these people are smart, but it doesn't help anyone if they have to repeat what they mean over and over. or if i'm trying to explain something to them and they just say "ok, yes..yes yes, ok" and then go about doing it and then something gets missed or misunderstood and its been awhile, it all goes to shit :P:barf:

toyboy88
09-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
LOL, are you kidding me? Who gives a fuck if they don't want you to hear their conversation or if the other person doesn't speak fluent english? I have this happen at work just about every day and I've never given it any thought.

When I'm at a store or something with my mom sometimes we talk in finnish instead of english if we're deciding on something, if we do that it is because you're not intended to hear, and its none of your fucking business. :rofl:

Rude? Go cry about it.

(Yes, I'm being a hater).

:werd: I work in retail and have had customers do the same, "discuss" something in their native tongue. Not offended by it, nor have I given it much thought when I hear it.

I'm Asian (born/raised in Calgary)...funny thing is I'm also fluent in French, Cantonese, and German, so sometimes I know exactly what they are saying when they don't expect it speaking in their native tongue. ;)

And yeah, Chinese I find (being Chinese so I probably notice it more), especially our parents generation and older, ALWAYS start discussing in Chinese when deciding on a sale or something. :poosie: :rofl:

AG_Styles
09-11-2008, 07:34 AM
boils down to the fact that the person is the client. As long as I do my job, the hell if i care what the client says unless it's about the quality of my service being provided. To put things short, you're in customer service, there are many different people who speak different languages who have the potential to be your client. Deal with it or get a job where you only deal with people who can only speak english.

SCHIDER23
09-11-2008, 07:45 AM
well when I'm with my parents I have to talk in spanish, they don't like me speaking to them in english, even though they both understand english. The reason for this is that since I was a kid they forced us to speak our native language, so we didn't forget it, I guess we got used to it, but I didn't know this actions bothered some people :rolleyes:

badatusrnames
09-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Depending on the situation, it can be rude.

If a group is having direct conversation in english and two participants speak to each other in their own language, without explaining what is said, it excludes the others and intentionally or not, that is rude.

It's no different that whispering something to the one person so that another can't hear it.

I have a friend from an exotic land. Whenever I'm over at his place and his family is around, they are courteous enough to speak in english as much as possible. For some of them, it's easier to speak their native tongue, which I understand completely, but someone is always courteous enough to explain what was said so I'm not excluded from the conversation.

I understand that some are comfortable in their native tongue... but you should always at least explain what was said - that's my understanding of the etiquette.

Melinda
09-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
Most of the time it doesn't bother me. The problem is sometimes, you don't know they're talking about you.

My sister was getting her nails done at the nail place in sunridge mall (TOP NAILS or something). The lady who was doing her nails was Vietnamese, and was talking to the other lady in vietnamese. They were critisizing my sister's hands/nails and making fun of her. Is that fuckin rude or what?

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
His sister is Vietnamese lol, and she speaks it fluently. LOL did she say anything to them, Minh?

It doesn't bother me if people are speaking their native tounge around me, so long as they can still communicate with me (I am with Adam C in the thought process of if you're Canadian you MUST be able to communicate effectively in one of our languages) It only pisses me off when they have to scream at each other just to do so, even if they're only a foot away from one another. It really bugs me. I don't parade through the mall having a screaming discussion with my mom. Why? Cause it's rude. I think it's just as rude to do it if no one understands you. Why so many people who speak in their native tounge need to shout at one another is beyond me. :dunno:

I do think it's pretty classless though if you're in a place of business (especially somewhere like a nail or hair salon where you're essentially stuck there until they are done with you) and instead of starting up some small talk with you, they ignore you completely and gossip in another language with their co-worker the entire time. Can you say awkward and hella boring?

Like some of you, I speak two languages and it sure was fun to embarrass the shit out of two ladies who were being absolutely disgusting at my work a few years back just because they thought I couldn't understand them. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm a whitey, and I don't speak any languages other than English, so I'm pretty used to people speaking in other languages around me.
However, in some situations, it can be quite rude. If I walk into a shoe store and speak to the clerk in English, and then they yell something to their co-worker in cantonese before they are done dealing with me, that's rude. They should either wait until they are done dealing with me, or, if they are trying to help me, a quick explaination of what they've just said would be polite. Just something like "I've asked her to see if we have your size."

But I don't think that's really a language issue, that's just simple courtesy towards your customer.

van
09-11-2008, 08:30 AM
You need to understand if you are in some service business that these types of clients will come up every now and then and probably more often than thought. The main reason they talk to each other in their native language is probably due to the fact that one of them doesn't properly understand english. If the message/statement/comments that you have said are translated they have a better understanding of what the hell is going on. I wouldn't say there should be any kind of rules or etiquette when it comes to that. You have to realize that not everyone starts off speaking english.

The only thing I hate as mentioned earlier in the thread is when say you hang out with a group of ___________ (fill in the ethnicity) and they talk in their native language infront of you. I hate that the most because well it makes you feel alienated from the conversation. They laugh and you sit/stand there a little puzzled, when they try to explain to you the joke.. well it's already not funny anymore haha. Bastards.

topmade
09-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I think it's rude if you can speak english fine. I only say that because I'm asian and most the shit I hear is people talking shit about other people. I can't say much for the other cultures, but most chinese, the older ones, like to trash talk people all the time. Even if you are chinese and speak english some of them will think you don't know chinese and make fun of you until you say something back in chinese. But if I was in the service industry I wouldn't give two shits what they spoke on the side.

Especially in the office environment it should be english only. If anyone talks chinese to me in the office I always talk back in english.

TKRIS
09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
When I used to work in retail, I always thought it was a bit rude when people, who I knew spoke and understood english, would start discussing something in another language.
Listen, if you want to think/talk about it for a bit, that's perfectly fine. Just say so, and I'll go over there for a bit and if you want to buy it, great. If not, you can just walk away. That's fine.

Just don't make me stand there like an idiot for 5 minutes while you discuss an item without me being able to understand what you're saying. A good salesman knows a lot more about the product, and other similar products, than you do, so why not take advantage of that?
If you have that discussion in english, I can follow and clarify and explain. I can pick up on subtle cues and use them to help you.
If you decide to speak in another language and make me stand there like a child, it makes me uncomfortable, and it hinders the level of customer service you're getting. Not only are you making me uneasy, but you could be limiting your own ability to make an informed decision.

Of course, most salesmen are either slimeballs or they don't give a shit, but why not take advantage of the ones that actually know their shit and are interested in helping you whenever possible?

EDIT: As for customer service, if they can't get me someone who speaks passable enough english for them to be of any use, I tell them so, and inform them that if I can't figure the problem out on my own, I'll be cancelling the service/returning the product.

TorqueDog
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
I think it's rude as hell.

I love it when French people do it... 'cause I'll just join in the conversation, albeit with my limited knowledge of French, which results in the word "Pamplemousse" and "Tabernac!" being thrown in.

Frenchie: "Oh one second. [fury of random french words to colleague]"
Me: "Ah, je m'appelle James! PAMPLEMOUSSE!!"
Frenchie: "...?"
Me: "Francais, oui?"
Frenchie: "... oui..."
Me: "Then TABERNAC!"

g-m
09-11-2008, 09:33 AM
it's so frustrating trying to understand FOB's (no offence) no kidding the fucking bank is the worst for it. Like where the hell do they get these people? I SPEAK the native language of this country and can't get any fucking banking done if I have to talk to a teller. Sometimes they even need to get a manager to come talk to me because they can't understand. I'M A NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER FFS

Moe Man
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

is this court? does he need to provide evidence?

this happens to me all the time, any salesmen would tell you.

the best part is when they discuss price in their language and you understand their language and they have no clue that you understand what they are saying.

then they say "i will pay $12 000 for this car" and i say no you wont, you will pay $14 000 because that is what you just told you buddy in arabic. :D

PINOY-X
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I speak filipino(tagalog) whenever i want to, but if asked what is going on or what we are talking about i'll gladly tell them.

JordanEG6
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I think it's only rude when you're in a group conversation/discussion/meeting and 2 or more people in the group begin speaking directly to each other in native tongue while other people just sit or stand there not knowing what's going on.

That happens alot at work and it pisses me off sometimes.

Other than that, I couldn't care any less.

Tik-Tok
09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man

does he need to provide evidence?

Yes. Any purported happenings of any beyond members sisters has a requirement of photos of said sister to be posted.

06civic
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Ppl has to realize that some languages such as cantonese tends to be "loud" You can't expect soemone to change the way they speak for you.

beyond_ban
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I think it's rude as hell.

I love it when French people do it... 'cause I'll just join in the conversation, albeit with my limited knowledge of French, which results in the word "Pamplemousse" and "Tabernac!" being thrown in.

Frenchie: "Oh one second. [fury of random french words to colleague]"
Me: "Ah, je m'appelle James! PAMPLEMOUSSE!!"
Frenchie: "...?"
Me: "Francais, oui?"
Frenchie: "... oui..."
Me: "Then TABERNAC!"

lol, luckily my girlfriend is from Quebec and has taught me a nice word to tell to french speaking people. It is quite simple, all you have to say is ta yuele (ta-yelllll) which so conveniently means, shut the fuck up. So remember kids, when facing a furious frog, the simple ta-yelllll should go a long way!

06civic
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
what does PAMPLEMOUSSE and TABERNAC mean?

mazdavirgin
09-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
So remember kids, when facing a furious frog, the simple ta-yelllll should go a long way!

Nice to see racism alive and well...

PS: If your customers speak to each other in their native tongue who cares they are likely trying to decide what they want to do and if they want to purchase the item which is none of your business.

Melinda
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by 06civic
what does PAMPLEMOUSSE and TABERNAC mean?
Pamplemousse=grapefruit
Tabernac=religious swear word. Here's a definition for you:

1. tabernac -
Tabernac is one of the worst curse words you can use in French Canada. French Canada has a strong tradition of Roman Catholicism and this sacriligious word takes the word "tabernacle" in vain.

BrknFngrs
09-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 06civic
Ppl has to realize that some languages such as cantonese tends to be "loud" You can't expect soemone to change the way they speak for you.

This is where I disagree. If the way you speak is an annoyance to other people (the yelling walking around the mall example mentioned before) than you need to adjust your habits. I really don't care if you normally speak your language loudly; adjust your volume so it doesn't annoy other people or don't complain when someone calls you on the fact that you're an annoyance.

beyond_ban
09-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Nice to see racism alive and well...

PS: If your customers speak to each other in their native tongue who cares they are likely trying to decide what they want to do and if they want to purchase the item which is none of your business.

:rofl: My girl friend was born and raised in Quebec.... English is her second language, so if i was truly racist i doubt i would date a french person.

06civic
09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
So do ppl get pissed off when they go to T and T supermarket? :nut:

n1zm0
09-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
1. tabernac -
Tabernac is one of the worst curse words you can use in French Canada. French Canada has a strong tradition of Roman Catholicism and this sacriligious word takes the word "tabernacle" in vain.

like you wouldn't believe, in grade 3 (french immersion) we had a new student from Lavalle, QC and she taught us that it pretty much meant fuck,

so you had 25 kids running around saying tabernacle in class, the teacher was from Montreal and she heard us say it, blew a fit! sent 13 of us to the principles office she's about to call our parents but we were all dismissed because when you're in grade 3, the term 'rat' wasn't around, you just told on ppl right away.

the francophone girl got in shit and eventually switched schools.

GTS Jeff
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
If you're worried about them talking about you in a different language, that just makes you an insecure little bitch. You are nobody and not worth their time to talk about you. :rolleyes:

cdnsir
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
What's the big deal? Doesn't Canada praise on multiculturalism??? :dunno:

PINOY-X
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Tangina. Puro reklamo lang ang mga alam nyo. Ano ngayon kng hindi mo ako
naiintindihan! bakla!

Did that bother you?

JordanEG6
09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
naiintindihan! bakla!

Did that bother you?

Fuck off it IS bothering me, complaining is not the only thing I know and yeah I understand you. And no, YOUR gay. :D

cdnsir
09-11-2008, 11:20 AM
naiintindihan! bakla!

Did that bother you?

^^ :confused:

I speak filipino(tagalog) whenever i want to, but if asked what is going on or what we are talking about i'll gladly tell them.

^^ Alright, please now please explain. :D

PINOY-X
09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
naiintindihan! bakla!

"fuck. always complaining. so what if you don't understand me. homo!(gay)"

EK 2.0
09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Fuck off it IS bothering me, complaining is not the only thing I know and yeah I understand you. And no, YOUR gay. :D

man those pinoys I tell ya...

Is it bad that I was able to make out exactly what he was saying too??

TorqueDog
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
PS: If your customers speak to each other in their native tongue who cares they are likely trying to decide what they want to do and if they want to purchase the item which is none of your business. No, it's fuckin' rude. Period. Is it some big secret?

Welcome to Canada. We are a bilingual country. We speak either English or French here. Pick one.

In fact, I'm pretty sure being able to speak, read, and write English are a requirement for immigrating into Canada, are they not?

mazdavirgin
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
No, it's fuckin' rude. Period. Is it some big secret?

Welcome to Canada. We are a bilingual country. We speak either English or French here. Pick one.

In fact, I'm pretty sure being able to speak, read, and write English are a requirement for immigrating into Canada, are they not?

How is it rude when you are not meant to be part of the conversation in the first place? Second you are the one screaming pamplemousse when people speak french and now you think it's ok for people to speak french even when you don't understand it? It is only english people who ever get their panties in a bunch about crap like that. I don't expect people to speak french or english when they are having a private conversation. I can understand and speak both fluently arguable my french is better but it's not like I expect people who are comfortable speaking mandarin or cantonese to speak english so I can listen to their private conversation.

Antonito
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM

hahaha holy shit. Is there any actual reasoning behind this opinion of yours?

max_boost
09-11-2008, 02:11 PM

Time to load up the ships and send them all back home! lol

Doesn't bother me because I do it at work all the time. I can't explain things in English to my employees. lol

It is interesting when my best friend and his gf do it though. We would be out in a group and all of a sudden they would break out into their Polish language and I'm like :confused:. I think he's telling her to stfu because she's embarrassing him but I don't know. :dunno:

JordanEG6
09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

It is interesting when my best friend and his gf do it though. We would be out in a group and all of a sudden they would break out into their Polish language and I'm like :confused:. I think he's telling her to stfu because she's embarrassing him but I don't know. :dunno:

See, it's alright when people speak amongst themselves in native tongue (like Hakkola's example), but to do it in a group where some people don't speak your language, I would think that's rude. I don't make a big deal out of it, but still :dunno:

badatusrnames
09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

See, it's alright when people speak amongst themselves in native tongue (like Hakkola's example), but to do it in a group where some people don't speak your language, I would think that's rude. I don't make a big deal out of it, but still :dunno:

Agreed.

dannie
09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow... I didnt expect this to get as big as it did. My original question was referring to a client having to interact with a clerk. There is dialogue that needs to happen. A few of the staff find it frustrating when in the middle of the dialogue, they talk in their native tongue to their friend. I should also mention, they find it frustrating ONLY if the client and their friend speak english too.

If it is to help someone who doesn't speak english, fair enough.