PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car from Ontario?

T5_X
09-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Anyone know what all would be involved in this? I have noticed that lots of cars go for WAY cheaper out in ON than in BC or Alberta, and a lot of the rare cars are found more easily there. Would it just be like, money for the flight, shipping back to province, than an out of province inspection? That would probably all cost over a grand, but a lot of cars have a market value of 2-3 grand less there. Anyone done this? :dunno:

hjr
09-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Well ontario has WAY more cars than alberta. and by the law of supply and demand, the rarer ones would be there too. Now demand must be lower as the prices are generally lower. But anyways, all you need is insurance on the car and a temp. registration to get it back to alberta (driving) or you could put it one a truck or train. As for once it gets here, all you need is an out of province inspection. If everything checks out, your good. but watch out for rust. Ontario cars generally have the cancer like a 80 year old man who smokes since he was 12.

littledan
09-12-2003, 11:06 AM
ontario cars have much much much more rust than even cars in calgary... if you are willing to buy a car out of province to save some cash head out to vancouver. many good deals out there and usually there is very little to no rust on van cars.

ryder_23
09-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by hjr
If everything checks out, your good. but watch out for rust. Ontario cars generally have the cancer like a 80 year old man who smokes since he was 12.

:werd:

JustinL
09-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Have a "car broker" do it for you. When I brought my car from halifax, my guy actually saved me money by talking the guy down more than enough to cover the cost of the broker and pre purchase inspection. They'll do all the checks on the VIN and liens as well.

Let me know if you want the contact for the company I went through.

Justin

SinisterProbeGt
09-12-2003, 11:36 AM
ont cars are ok, lots o rust under the car. I bought a car out there and drove it back home with an ontairo permit. it's good for 10 days cost about 50 bucks. and the drive takes about 5 days.
good way to find out if you bought a lemon on the drive.
When you are looking at the car make sure you take it to a body shop out there perferbaly a dealer to check the under carage for rust they hide it alot of the time with under coating and paint so make sure.

djleslie
04-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

:werd: HEY I BOUGHT A CAR HERE IN TORONTO AND FOUND OUT IT HAS 3 LIENS ON IT, 1 IN TORONTO, 1 IN HALIFAX, 1 NOVA SCOTIA, WHAT DO I DO :drama:

tapout
04-15-2006, 02:27 PM
stay away man pay the extra $$ there for you dont have to worry about rust. the engine bay on east car are gross most of the nuts,bolt,brakets,are rusted.

djleslie
04-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by tapout
stay away man pay the extra $$ there for you dont have to worry about rust. the engine bay on east car are gross most of the nuts,bolt,brakets,are rusted.

Aleks
04-15-2006, 02:58 PM
If the car is less than 2 years old I wouldn't worry about rust. If it's anymore than that then be careful

racin_jayson
04-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Being a former ontario resident I can say that the roads are salted like mcdonalds fries, and even newer cars will have the beginnings of car cancer. I would buy a car in Vancouver personally, much cheaper, and very little rust. (thats what i did)

Weapon_R
04-15-2006, 03:46 PM
My friend just bought a car from Ontario. Even though its only 5 years old, when we put it on the hoist it had TONS of rust underneath. He doesnt mind because he only wants it for a year, as he likes to switch cars a lot. Buy from here if you expect to keep it for a while.

Slashin_
04-15-2006, 03:57 PM
they use road salt like we use sand......= rust x 10 for ont cars......check under before u buy

CryoCarnage
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
if you really want to, i can always go look at a car foir you, take a picture of underbody, engine bay etc and send it back. As long as its local in the GTA - Mississauga area.

C4S
04-15-2006, 04:52 PM
It depends on what kind of car .. if you are buying a car that only been driven in Summer , only few yr old and low km.. ( such as Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette .. ) then It is fine .. but ifyou are buying an asian car, if say 5 yr old, 120,000 km .. then the suspension, brake are probaby done .. and of course, rusty ....

You may save $2-3K .. but then shipping, OP inspection .. etc.. you may save $1K .. then at the end, you may need to spend more money on top to fix up the car.

Luxury cars with softer suspension are ok to buy from ONT too, ( still, local car is better ) example, an 3 - 4 yr old Benz, Lexus .. first, people don't race those car, and probabay they are good for rust, and mostly older people own them.

If you are looking for sporty car, such as Prelude, S2000, 3 series, STi etc .. you better be careful ...

Well .. good luck! :D

2000Accord
04-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by C4S

If you are looking for sporty car, such as Prelude, S2000, 3 series, STi etc .. you better be careful ...

Well .. good luck! :D

I am surprized you inlcuded the S2000 in the group to be cautious with. IMO that car would not have a lot of winter miles, and presumably would have been kept a bit cleaner (not in all cases obviously, but generally I think this would be true).
I saw a 2004 G35 Coupe out there (only 14,000KM)...I would be inclined to think a car like with low KM would be a safe bet.