PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in O&G - I need some advice!

Neil4Speed
09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I am looking at some of the options and my courses for my next year of University. I am working towards a Geology Degree (Petroleum concentration), and a minor in Applied Energy Economics (I have done all of the courses except for the last full year course, AEE in the Workplace)

My "3rd year" of Geology looks pretty stale to tell you the truth (some Petrology, Fossilization, Mapping, fun stuff... ), but I have some room in my last year as far as options/choices go.

I am trying to figure out what is the best method of action for me.

First off, I am not even sure if it is possible to have TWO minors, but I was checking the requirements and I would need only two courses to get a Minor in Geophysics (Mining/Enviromental Applications, and Global Geophysics) . If so , I could be taking only 6 courses my last year, and still get the minor.

Would this be any benifit as far as making me more marketable for a job?

I have been told that hydrology is important due to the fact that water contamination is a big factor with more emphasis on enviromental effects of the industry. So I can do classes related to that like, Physical Hydrology, Field Techniques in Hydrology, or Contamient Hydrology.

Or, should I focus myself more on the production side of things with classes in Petrolum Engineering like Well Logging and Formation Evaluation, Flow in Porous Media, Drilling and Well Completions or Introduction to Drilling Engineering

Coles notes:

Should I do the 2 of either Petroleum Engineering Courses , Hydrology Courses , or Geophysics Courses - If so, which ones?

Weapon_R
09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I've always thought that a minor was pretty useless because it only shows up as part of your transcript and a lot of employers don't even care about your grades. You should explore the possibility of making geophysics a second major as it would only add another year and you would get two degrees. Your marketability with both geology and geophysics, although they overlap somewhat, would be substantially better than just having two minors. You could keep the econ minor

Crymson
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I've always thought that a minor was pretty useless because it only shows up as part of your transcript and a lot of employers don't even care about your grades. You should explore the possibility of making geophysics a second major as it would only add another year and you would get two degrees. Your marketability with both geology and geophysics, although they overlap somewhat, would be substantially better than just having two minors. You could keep the econ minor

This may be true, for anything after your first job, but coming for U of C and U of A, youre grades MUST be good. Other universities get off easier, because the number of hires is a higher percentage of the total applicants, and Canadian oil and gas producers dont like "leave a university out" and not at least hire an intern from each big school. U of C and U of A however, is really stiff competition. Alot more people come there to hire, but there is WAY more students wanting oil and gas jobs, and the same group end up getting ALL the interviews. When you've got a 100-200 geology and geophysics student resumes on your desk, and only a handful of positions, the first filter is going to be grades. 3.0 GPA is a must to have someone keep reading you resume.

Get a minor in geophysics, it will help you IMMENSELY as a Jr. Geologist starting out, along with geology major. It says to the recruiter "here is a guy who WANTS to do oil and gas, and is purposefully tailoring his education to meet the needs of an intergrated exploration team". Don't go full bore for the engineer classes, but definately take a well logging course.

The, ecomonics one, even though it sounds good on paper, isn't going to help out. The best bet, would be to work for 5-6 years, then start a night time MBA, if you want to get into managment.

ALSO!!! GET YOUR ASSES ONTO THE U OF C CAREERS WEBSITE! RIGHT MEOW!

almost ALL of the major oil and gas companies hire NOW for next summer's interens. Resume deadlines will be in a few weeks, with october interviews for May start dates.

GET ON IT!

An make sure you check out the Career fair on the 23rd and say hi to the reps, ask some good - incitefull questions, and make sure they remember your name so when they see your resume there is a face behind it.

no_joke
09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
So I can do classes related to that like, Physical Hydrology, Field Techniques in Hydrology, or Contamient Hydrology.

Sorry, it's "hydrogeology." I'd say that hydrogeology is a subset of hydrology. Anyways, to get the most out of your time I would agree with the other guys... do what they said. It never hurts to be knowledgeable but there are hydrogeologists to take of the water and engineers to do the drilling.

Freestylin
09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I would suggest you focus more on the petroleum engineering side of things such as upstream work (production, well completion, reservoir engineering, drilling) like you stated. Right now in the O&G industry, companies are pretty desparate for petroleum engineers to help them find new reservoirs and produce as much as possible from what's left in the ground....since natural resources are depleting. It will also help you in the future for jobs overseas due to the respect that other countries have for petroleum engineers who are educated in Canada and have working experience in Canadian soil due to the amount of knowledge we have to produce as much as possible with very limited supply. Therefore, do the petroleum engineering courses.

thinmyster
09-17-2008, 07:45 PM
what courses are you in this year?