PDA

View Full Version : Just got a response from the Mayor's office about Race City.

89coupe
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Dear Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Mayor Bronconnier. Mayor Bronconnier
has had the opportunity to review your e-mail and he has asked me to
respond on his behalf.

When The City originally acquired the lands upon which Race City
Motorsport Park currently resides, its objective was to provide for the
future growth and expansion of Shepard Landfill. In recent years,
Calgary's rapidly growing population has translated into higher volumes
of waste that now requires expansion of that landfill. Given that the
need to use those lands has now arisen, The City had to terminate the
lease with Race City Motorsport Park effective March 31, 2010. However,
should an appropriate alternate site be identified, City Administration
is certainly willing to work with Race City ownership.

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns with Mayor
Bronconnier.

Best regards,

Patricia Proudfoot
Office of the Mayor, The City of Calgary
#8069 P.O. Box 2100 Stn. M.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2M5
403-268-5622 (phone)
403-268-8130 (fax)
For more news, sign up for Mayor Bronconnier's eNews at
www.calgarymayor.ca

Boosted_TL
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Patricia Proudfoot

:rofl:

Sorry, made me LOL

88CRX
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
What was the origonal email?

Xtrema
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
The one everyone sent about closing of RC.

Sounds like its business between RC ownership and city. So should we Spam the owner next?

Sad that it's just going to be turn into a dump.

BlkMaxima
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
What was the origonal email?

Yeah what was the oroginal email?

Thaco
09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
doesn't matter, bottom line is, racecity (art mackenzie) doesn't have the money to build a new facility, so even if the city found the land and agreed to a million year lease, the current owner of racecity would be unable to fund a new track.

LadyLuck
09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
However,

Originally posted by Thaco
doesn't matter, bottom line is, racecity (art mackenzie) doesn't have the money to build a new facility, so even if the city found the land and agreed to a million year lease, the current owner of racecity would be unable to fund a new track.

exactly what i was getting at im my post last nite after i spoke with Paul Cochrane.

The city wont fund it, they will provide the land but thats it.

dezinr
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
It would be great if a private developer or investors were willing to fund the development of a real possibly world class race facility. With all the money and performance vehicles in this city it would make sense. A venue for the citizens and also a place that more events would be willing to come to. You could couple it with hotel/restaurant and additional ammenities to make it great. Perhaps something like Calabogie.

Just a thought...I've seen some spectacular racetrack designs and there is no reason we couldn't have something here. Seeing as most of this cities architecture is dated or 1 step up from bland. This could be the one piece that truly stands out.

Well that's my .02

sexualbanana
09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Assuming there is land to build it:

You can't build a new race track without the money.

You can't get the money without the spectators.

You can't the spectators without the events.

You can't get the events without the track.

And most importantly, you can't the events without spectators.

As much as I would love to have a new race track in this city, it's not feasible for anyone to build one. Quite frankly, we just don't have the draw for major events to consider Race City (or any other venue). No offence, but I don't think CASCAR are attracting a lot of people.

Thaco
09-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

As much as I would love to have a new race track in this city, it's not feasible for anyone to build one. Quite frankly, we just don't have the draw for major events to consider Race City (or any other venue). No offence, but I don't think CASCAR are attracting a lot of people.

and sponsors play a big roll in there too.

89coupe
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

So why is Edmonton so successful?

You need good management, and Race City didn't have it.

Thaco
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM

and sponsors play a big roll in there too.

if the track was really good we could possibly draw f1... but the truth is, racecity was one of a kind, IIRC it was the only facility in canada (maybe NA) that had all 3 tracks in one facility, to replicate it, the costs would be astronomical.

and the weather just does not co-operate in this city, so the only way to assure the events could/would run, they'd need a big canopy over the facility.

honestly, at raceity, you can tell the difference between a sunny day and a cloudy one just by looking at the stands, a few clouds can EASILY scare off any potential spectators.

G-Suede
09-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Way more headbangers in Edmonton, that's why.

zieg
09-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Who would be willing to volunteer in the construction and operation of a new track?

:werd:

Stonejaw
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Its ProudFEET!!!

Toma
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Funding and investment would be easy with a long term lease.

Not even an issue.

Toma
09-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Everyone got the same email response.

I responded back....

I pointed out the skater park, and the rate at which the City is annexing land around it...

They aren't looking hard enough.

Eleanor
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Toma
I thought it kind of sounded like a standard reply :dunno:

CUG
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Thank you for your recent e-mail to Mayor Bronconnier. Mayor Bronconnier
has had the opportunity to review your e-mail and he has asked me to
respond on his behalf.

When The City originally acquired the lands upon which Race City
Motorsport Park currently resides, its objective was to provide for the
future growth and expansion of Shepard Landfill. In recent years,
Calgary's rapidly growing population has translated into higher volumes
of waste that now requires expansion of that landfill. Given that the
need to use those lands has now arisen, The City had to terminate the
lease with Race City Motorsport Park effective March 31, 2010. However,

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns with Mayor
Bronconnier.

Best regards,

Patricia Proudfoot
Office of the Mayor, The City of Calgary
#8069 P.O. Box 2100 Stn. M.
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2M5
403-268-5622 (phone)
403-268-8130 (fax)
For more news, sign up for Mayor Bronconnier's eNews at
www.calgarymayor.ca

I'm going to look through my records, but I think I've seen that exact same email somewhere else that was sent to someone else who thought emailing the mayor would be effective.

They're very polite at telling people to fuck off :rofl:

sputnik
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I thought it kind of sounded like a standard reply :dunno:

How many different wordings for the same thing do you require?

At the end of the day. The owner of Race City doesn't want to invest more money into another race track. The City is willing to help, but if the money isn't there from sponsor and spectators... No dice.

89coupe
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Toma

I responded back....

I pointed out the skater park, and the rate at which the City is annexing land around it...

They aren't looking hard enough.

Haha...I replied with the same questions.:rofl:

Toma
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

At the end of the day. The owner of Race City doesn't want to invest more money into another race track. The City is willing to help, but if the money isn't there from sponsor and spectators... No dice.

Again.... NO THEY AREN:T!

No One is Helping!! The Money is EASY.

Getting a few million from investors and personal etc is EASY.

The Land is hard, and the city wont commit to any long term lease!

Eleanor
09-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I was just saying that it wounds like something a computer would spit out as soon as it saw the words "race track" in the email.

97'Scort
09-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember a whole lot of land that an army base used to sit on in Calgary. Isn't that still empty, or did they finally find a use for it?

Team_Mclaren
09-11-2008, 07:42 PM

if the track was really good we could possibly draw f1...

that made me :rofl: :rofl:

carry on

x.staygold.x
09-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember a whole lot of land that an army base used to sit on in Calgary. Isn't that still empty, or did they finally find a use for it?

Its gonna be residential...

ercchry
09-11-2008, 09:09 PM
i dunno why this track has to be in city limits... what is wrong with on the outskirts of town?

have a campground, dirt biking park, etc to help with the running costs of a track, and make it more appealing for out of town spectators to make the drive here for events :dunno:

maybe even have some trails for off-roading and snowmobiling in the winter

vipstyle2
09-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Patricia Proudfoot

:rofl:

Sorry, made me LOL

You seem to post alot of useless nonsence.
Trying to get your post count up ?

Anyway, No investers basically leaves us with no Race City
and no track anywhere near town to be built.
I highly dout they'll try and use tax payers dollars to help fund a
new track, its just too much money put to "waste" when it can be used for many other need's rather than wants.

Anomaly
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I think the days of a track inside the city limits are over; Land is too valuable... perhaps something north of crossfield or out east of the city...

G-Suede
09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by vipstyle2

new track, its just too much money put to "waste" when it can be used for many other need's rather than wants.

Useless? Because begging strangers to cosign your moms mortgage isn't useless. Tool.

But hey, since money isn't an issue (LOL) perhaps your baller family should foot the land bill?

TomcoPDR
09-11-2008, 09:35 PM

:rofl: good call member #47076 :rofl:

So does anyone really know how much a racetrack would cost? (I don't, that's why I'm asking)

It just feels like we're thinking the lines of 5-10 mil only (hence the comments "how hard is it to get investors together")

But I'm leaning towards 30mil + when everything said and done. (i.e. land survey, environment survey, etc...)

BlackArcher101
09-11-2008, 09:49 PM
If a pedestrian bridge can cost $25 million, then I'm going to guess a race drag and drag strip would cost a min of $30 million. I know that wouldn't hard to obtain. There is a ton of land shaping and paving that would need to be done.

I laugh at people trying to get the city to act. They won't do crap all. They won't give any land, because first they will want to see investors grouped together with a legal promise to build. The problem here is investors... As rich as some think this city is, giving away that much money to something that doesn't have as much return as other potential sponsorships isn't really attractive to someone with money.

Face it... the days of racing might be done. I think the only hope here would be some person that loves cars who has a ton of money builds his own track on land outside of city limits.

civic_ek4
09-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I think there are a lot more to look at.........

Investor: Who will invest in such projects? Does anyone know the returns of a race track? Most race tracks are not very profitable. I think in order for it to be profitable you will need to round up all the guys from all motorsports (go-karts, motor bikes..............). So you can have a steady income to cover the maintence and draw a bigger crowd.

I think more will need to be looked at: Environment, Noise and the risk assessment.

I have used Racecity in the past and it's a lot of fun, very sad to see it go.

Anomaly
09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by civic_ek4

I think more will need to be looked at: Environment, Noise and the risk assessment.

Exactly why you will never see a track IN the city limits...

vipstyle2
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by G-Suede

Useless? Because begging strangers to cosign your moms mortgage isn't useless. Tool.

But hey, since money isn't an issue (LOL) perhaps your baller family should foot the land bill?

I would much rather try to contribute with a possitive effect in the forums,
rather than try and be an "e-thug" and bad talk people.
Thats not my only post so It shouldnt really reflect on how much I do contribute. But hey what ever makes you e-cock harder and larger be my guest.
Do you even own a vehicle or better yet have your licence G-suede...

89coupe
09-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
If a pedestrian bridge can cost $25 million, then I'm going to guess a race drag and drag strip would cost a min of $30 million. I know that wouldn't hard to obtain. There is a ton of land shaping and paving that would need to be done.

I laugh at people trying to get the city to act. They won't do crap all. They won't give any land, because first they will want to see investors grouped together with a legal promise to build. The problem here is investors... As rich as some think this city is, giving away that much money to something that doesn't have as much return as other potential sponsorships isn't really attractive to someone with money.

Face it... the days of racing might be done. I think the only hope here would be some person that loves cars who has a ton of money builds his own track on land outside of city limits.

Read before guessing.

http://www.caraceways.ca/2008/Drag%20Strip%20NR%20Final.pdf

Oh, and the Skate Park downtown cost $8.5million to build plus the cost of the land.

TKRIS
09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I'll tell you right now that you can't build a racetrack for $500,000.

Just off the top of my head, I'm putting a ~1/2 mile asphalt strip at around $300,000 (just surface construction costs), minimum, and that's assuming you're starting out with a fairly level area, and not much stripping and grading is required.
Then add underground, engineering, and all the other major costs that would accompany something like this.

Again, I'm not going to go through everything right now to nail down costs, but I'd say with a glass flat piece of land, you might be able to do just a 1/4 mile track, small parking lot, and small building for a couple/few million.

I haven't been to race city, but looking at the layout, to replicate that is going to costs a lot of money.

You can't compare the construction of a new track on virgin land to the expansion of a track that already has infrastructure in place, and land set aside, and a supporting base to work off.

If you're really interested, come up with some sizes (length/width of track, total compound size, etc) and I'll work out some rough numbers based on actual costs, not just conjecture.

BigMass
09-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I’m going with Toma on this one. There is no way Zahir’s crew wouldn’t easily be able to pony up a few million for a new track. Those guys live for fast cars and Race City was their staple weekend activity. You think they want to be driving to Edmonton every weekend to track their exotics? No way. I’m guess they’re having a hard time getting a long term lease because they have the money and motivation, there is no question about that.

My second point is that Race City management sucked. They did zero advertising. People went to driving schools and track days almost exclusively by word of mouth. When I tell people they can actually drive on the track with their road cars they usually respond with “really??? Wow that’s awesome where can I sign up. I didn’t know you could do that!!!”

analbumcover
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Thats not my only post so It shouldnt really reflect on how much I do contribute. But hey what ever makes you e-cock harder and larger be my guest.

So you're saying that you don't mind making his E-Cock Larger?

G-Suede
09-12-2008, 10:14 AM

With an e-cock as large and hard as mine I don't need a car or a license. Didn't you get the memo?

Kona9
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM

You are 18 and asked complete strangers to take part in a HIGH risk financial situation. Now I know you love your mom there Kanye, but YOU made the fool of yourself! Now stop being a little dink and work your way into a good spot on Beyond.

bubbley
09-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Why is everyone replying and getting pissed..basically, if someone has the funds to do it they will be open to it..its not like its their fault..race city didnt have the finances to continue their business thus closing down shop even before their lease to 2010 was expired..instead of bitching at the mayor why not try to find someone who has the funds to open this type of business up..:dunno:

CUG
09-12-2008, 10:37 AM
This wouldn't be an investment for anyone.

It SHOULD be set up the way Spruce Meadows was... that's the only way a track would be sustainable here.

As for cost... Tooele Utah, Miller I heard was pushing 60M.

Xtrema
09-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
I’m going with Toma on this one. There is no way Zahir’s crew wouldn’t easily be able to pony up a few million for a new track. Those guys live for fast cars and Race City was their staple weekend activity. You think they want to be driving to Edmonton every weekend to track their exotics? No way. I’m guess they’re having a hard time getting a long term lease because they have the money and motivation, there is no question about that.

It's different to blow a few grand to get access to a track VS a few mil to get access to a track.

The closure was announced back in Janurary. 8 months and nobody has came up with an investment proposal that will kick start this.

In the scheme of things, finding a place for a race track is probably pretty low on City's list.

obliterate8
09-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm selling 110 acres in spring bank, if only the price is right.
I wonder if they will buy some :dunno:

Anomaly
09-12-2008, 01:41 PM
It's gonna take some deaths related to streetracing before the city acts...unfortunately reactionary rather than pro active

BlackArcher101
09-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Read before guessing.

http://www.caraceways.ca/2008/Drag%20Strip%20NR%20Final.pdf

Oh, and the Skate Park downtown cost $8.5million to build plus the cost of the land.

Right.... what am I looking for? What did I guess incorrectly? Less than $1mil to expand a crappy drag strip? Doesn't look like a new strip and track to me.

Not familiar with the skate park. But again, if the land is free from the city, then that right there cuts the majority of the cost. It doesn't require as much land prep as a track will. When was it constructed? Is that $8.5 mil in today's dollars?

Toma
09-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Can you guys read? Existing track?? The Dirt oval for the demolation derby??? :drool:

Rimbey spent $250k TOTAL before the gov't grant on the dirt oval, and some base work of the quarter mile, and this included the plans, drawings, site studies etc....