PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

Shaolin
09-12-2003, 12:26 PM
hello, a buddy of mine just got a new Dell, and he wants me to transfer all of his stuff over (no problem).. thing is.. he wants his emails transferred over from his old ass hard drive into his new hard drive (will be running outlook).. (problem, since I've never done it before).

any ideas how to do this? I know you can import and export, and there's also Data File Management option (never used it)..

he basically LIVES AND DIES by his emails (he runs a business and all of his info is basically in his emails, if his HD ever crashed, he'd be screwed).

anyways, any help would be great.

benyl
09-12-2003, 01:43 PM
either archive all his e-mails into an archive.pst and copy that over. Or create a personal.pst (personal folders files) and move all the e-mail over.

You can then open that *.pst and he will have access to all his old e-mails on his new hard drive.

pm me if you have any questions. Archiving is a good idea as it makes a nice package that you can back up.

If you HD fails, then you can copy back that archive and have everything that is in there, intact.

bart
09-12-2003, 01:47 PM
exporting emails doesnt work all the time. this is the best way:

make a new folder somewhere, and open it. open outlook, highlight all the emails in outlook and drag them into the new folder.

done!

to put them on the new computer, reverse the process.

Altezza
09-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Just copy outlook.pst from the old HDD to the new.