PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G Data Use

pcruz
09-11-2008, 04:24 PM
So I call Fido to inquire about getting an iPhone 3g as a hardaware upgrade. Basically they tell me its pretty much useless without a data plan and that some of the features that require data may not necessarily work with wifi.

They also said that even if I have data turned off on my Fido account that some of the iPhone's features may still use data.

I just want to confirm whether any of this is true or is Fido trying to scam me into a data plan. Can all features of theiPhone 3G be used solely with wifi?

shakalaka
09-11-2008, 04:30 PM
While I agree that it's of minimal use without internet, but every feature that works with data plan will work with wifi. Maybe they mean that it won't be use without data since you won't be able to use it as a gps while on the move since you won't have wifi either.

benyl
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Visual Voicemail uses Data. I don't know if that is free data or not. VVM does not work over wifi.

You won't be able to use the GPS features at all as the maps are downloaded through 3G or Wifi. Since there isn't open Wifi everywhere, it is pretty much useless.

I have had my iPhone for 20 days and have only used 165MB of data. I have used it pretty heavily.

You might be able to get away with a smaller Data plan rather than getting the 6GB plan.

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
If you are on a plan without data like me, you can just download an application such as boss pref. for the iphone... it lets you disable edge, so you wont get screwed if it automaticlly switches from wifi to edge(data).

Zero102
09-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep, boss prefs will let you totally kill off data, but you need to jailbreak the phone to use it.

Fido and Rogers will both push their plans like crazy, and its up to you if you want it. I signed on the 6GB plan before learning how painfully slow 3G really is... if you are ever downtown or at the university, its fucking useless. Great because I spend all of my not-at-home (i.e. not on wifi) time in those 2 places... brilliant investment that was. Good thing I'm on a 3 year plan with that shit now.