PDA

View Full Version : gas price going up tmr? (sept 12)

RX_EVOLV
09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
saw this link, not sure how true it will be

http://www.mcteague.ca/WebPages/gas_price_today.htm

bashir26
09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
:drama:

One of the reasons why I take the bus to school this year.

sxtothe240
09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
"Calgary** 134.8 Cents/Litre UP 12.5 Cents"

son of a bitch

Supa Dexta
09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
I believe they only get 4 cents for tax, so thats cutting it in half.

schocker
09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
most likely not true, gas was down to 128.9 i saw today, that guy is an idiot, also his website is shitty.

badatusrnames
09-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Because everything you read on the internet is certainly true...

max_boost
09-11-2008, 07:21 PM
haha now I use to never really give a shit about gas prices (cost of driving) but I'm starting to wonder now because I'm getting absolutely fucked on the TSX. Everything's dropping except gas prices, son of a bitch! :rofl: :whipped: :guns:

Team_Mclaren
09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
haha now I use to never really give a shit about gas prices (cost of driving) but I'm starting to wonder now because I'm getting absolutely fucked on the TSX. Everything's dropping except gas prices, son of a bitch! :rofl: :whipped: :guns:

you mean WRX? lol think you got a bad, i drive a fucking rotary:rofl: :rofl:

Penguin_Racecar
09-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

you mean WRX? lol think you got a bad, i drive a fucking rotary:rofl: :rofl:

TSX = toronto stock exchange

I also drive a rotary. 15 mpg city!

3nergiz3d
09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Looks like gas is going up huge in toronto.

http://cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080911/080911_gas_prices/20080911/?hub=CP24Home

rc2002
09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Those greedy bastards. There's not shortage of gasoline in Canada.

The wholesale prices for gasoline jumped in the US from $3 something to between $4 and $5. That's due to the refineries being shut down due to hurricane Ike. Supply from Canadian refineries is uninterrupted.

The Cosworth
09-11-2008, 09:39 PM
oil was 103 when i checked today. I guess close 100.87

there is no reason for gas prices to increase, doesnt mean the WONT though.

Originally posted by badatusrnames
Because everything you read on the internet is certainly true...

:werd: but unfortunately it is probably true in this case :(

rc2002
09-11-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080911.wgas0911/BNStory/National/home

JOSH WINGROVE

Globe and Mail Update

September 11, 2008 at 8:11 PM EDT

Liberal MP Dan McTeague says drivers in Toronto and Western Canada will face the largest one-day price increase he's ever seen on Friday, when pump prices could jump as much as 12.9 cents per litre.

Mr. McTeague, who is known for being a consumer advocate about gas prices, predicts the massive increase for the Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa, Calgary and Kelowna, B.C., while he expects prices in Montreal to go up nine cents.

Gas prices ranged between $1.21 and $1.299 per litre in Toronto Thursday night; Mr. McTeague predicts an average price of $1.366 per litre by Friday morning.

The increase outpaces rises in wholesale costs by about a four-to-one ratio, Mr. McTeague says, and is disproportionate to pump price increases in the United States, where gas is about 20 cents a litre cheaper, on average. He lashed out at a “lack of leadership” by the Harper government on the issue, saying it hasn't done enough to keep gas prices under control.

“If you can do that [increase] in one day, imagine what can happen in one year,” Mr. McTeague said in an interview Thursday evening, standing at the corner of a gas station while cars honked in support. “This is a harbinger of other things that can happen down the road. We need to look for leadership down the road.”

The increases come as U.S. gasoline wholesale prices jumped to unprecedented levels Thursday. Mr. McTeague says such hikes take a while to work their way to the pumps in the United States, while Canadian gas companies see to jump at the chance to boost prices.

American wholesale prices jumped Thursday as Hurricane Ike threatens the American Gulf Coast, a refining hub. But when Hurricane Gustav struck a few weeks ago, there was little increase in Canadian pump prices, Mr. McTeague noted.

“Our economy is shrinking and gas companies are ripping Canadians off,” he added in a statement. “This extra 10 cents/litre does not reflect any sort of supply and demand dynamic.”

Spoons
09-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Good thing I don't drive anymore.

Woo Hoo

403ep3
09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
...luckily I filled up 3/4 of a tank yesterday

Eleanor
09-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
That's due to the refineries being shut down due to hurricane Ike. Supply from Canadian refineries is uninterrupted.
Didn't read the article, but most of our gas still comes from American refineries. We don't have the refinery capacity to meet our demand.

Anyway, I'm glad I filled up the bike tonight, haha.

GQBalla
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I think he ment the toronto stock exchange not his car

adamc
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
142.x for v-power in Lakeview tonight, I only filled half a tank not knowing about this increase.

any higher than that and I'm taking public transit from now on.

HiTempguy1
09-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Gas prices are through the f*&kin roof!

heavyD
09-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't understand the big deal. Buy a Fit if you can't afford to pony up for gas. We have become major gluttons in the new millenium with all the SUV's and gas guzzling vehicles. The rise in gas prices was inevitable when consumers were mass-purchasing vehicles with poor mileage and I'm happy to see less pickup trucks & SUV's on the road. Gasoline would have to go over $2/L for me to even take notice.

blownz
09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
I put $110 into my suv last night. lol

And can someone please tell me when "The Liberal government of Jean Chretien and Paul Martin twice rebated Canadians the GST when faced with less serious increases in energy prices"?

I don't remember a GST rebate :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
This is disgusting. Honestly, a 12.5 cent increase? And what's the price of oil?

They can explain to me over, and over of why gas is around $1.40/L, and oil is cheaper than it was when gas was $1.20/L, but i call call absolute fucking BS.

The best part is that it'll affect everything. The price on any commodities, probably transit passes, eventually at least.

EDIT: There are all based on my perceptions and observations. I have no evidence to back it up, so feel free to argue/disprove me.

revelations
09-12-2008, 08:31 AM
The price of gas was SLOW to go down the last little while with the huge drop in oil price....but every time a pigeon dies in the southern refinery states, the next DAY the price of gas sky rockets.

heavyD
09-12-2008, 08:32 AM
If you can't afford to fill your vehicle you are living beyond your means. The only people I sympathize with are low income families that are struggling to get by and affected small businesses. Cheap gasoline is a luxury not a right.

revelations
09-12-2008, 08:34 AM
But really, for me and my small rice burner - 50L fillup - every two weeks or so (extra 5$ a fill) the increase isnt really a big deal for me

(from 65$ per fill at 1.30$/L to 70$ at 1.40$/L)

The Cosworth
09-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
If you can't afford to fill your vehicle you are living beyond your means. The only people I sympathize with are low income families that are struggling to get by and affected small businesses. Cheap gasoline is a luxury not a right.

it isnt that I CANT afford to fill my car, but when I SHOULD be paying $45.00 for fill my car but am paying $75.00 because they are greedy and manipulating the system.

That is when I care

I am with you smurf, this is ridiculous, I am super mad but I dont know what we could do about it. Because realistically driving a more fuel efficient car isn't doing anything productive. It is just in Alberta where you still see the large SUV's and that. Go to the LML or even OK and see the number of new small vehicles on the road and trucks parked with 'For Sale' signs. They even released a report that said for once in the last 10 years or something the demand from the US actually dropped. That is reason enough to drive prices down, if it was operating in a true free market system.

GQBalla
09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
heard on the radio it went up to 1.40

heavyD
09-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

it isnt that I CANT afford to fill my car, but when I SHOULD be paying $45.00 for fill my car but am paying $75.00 because they are greedy and manipulating the system.

That is when I care

Why SHOULD you be paying $45? It's not your gasoline and it's not a law that gasonline should be cheap. We have people on beyond trying to sell VIP passes to Soundsaround. Newsflash the world os full of greed.:rolleyes:

The Cosworth
09-12-2008, 08:47 AM

Why SHOULD you be paying $45?

too easy..... supply and demand. If we are a true capitalist system anyways.

There is no justification for anything over $1.00/L right now. The problem is that they can all keep their prices inflated. We need gas wars again.

What if I charged my client (I am a contractor) $10,000/Hr because there was no one else to do it. I am sure I would be called a criminal on here and everywhere else. Problem is there are people who can do it, and some faster than I can, but your price has to reflect your real world worth.

We dont have that choice when buying gas, to buy gas from somewhere else that has fair prices, otherwise I would.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Which is exactly my point. The states provides 3% of the worlds oil/gas.

Why is it when 3% get's shut down, gas prices go up 12.5 cents a litre? And yea, you can go on, and on about how it's a luxury, not a right, but I still want my fucking cheap gas. I am not living beyond my means, It's just fucking annoying. I mean if they can do that kind of leap in a single day, when oil prices go DOWN, then what the fuck is gas going to look like in a year? All your going to hear is complaints, and nothing is going to get done about it.

I will piss and moan about gas prices, I won't do anything about it. I'm the average calgarian.

I'm not even that old, and I can still remember where $20 would get me through 2 weeks of gas.

Now it lasts less than half of that.

I don't drive a big truck, I drive a civic. I get 34mpg, and I still hate gas.

And the government won't do shit about this. They're enjoying the windfall too much. You can't even tell me to stop driving, because the increase in prices will affect every other comodity as well. If my grandma dies in Victoria, how the hell can I go to her funeral if I can't afford a plane ticket because gas drove the ticket prices up. Same with greyhound, or roadtrips.

Let me put on my tinfoil hat here for a second. I think its time for me to raise some cattle, grow some crops, get a horse, and buy some candles. Because frankly, anything else will be to expensive pretty soon. /tinfoil hat

wardpr68
09-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by schocker
that guy is an idiot, also his website is shitty.

what does that make you now?

Eleanor
09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
:rofl: if you want gas prices to go down, stop buying it. Simple, right? :D

Look at it from the oil companies point of view. If they can raise gas prices by $0.12 a litre and still sell the same amount, why wouldn't they?

heavyD
09-12-2008, 09:07 AM
What if I charged my client (I am a contractor) $10,000/Hr because there was no one else to do it.

That would be good business IMO. Businesses that aren't greedy don't stay in business long. Big business is all greed driven as Microsoft, Moble, Wallmart, etc couldn't give two shits about consumers.

The when gas was cheap people were purchasing gas guzzling SUV's and trucks like mad, using up non-renewable resources and polluting the air like never before. Did you think that would las forever? This is nothing but part of the cycle.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2008, 09:09 AM
But they're not selling the same amount. Demand is decreasing, yet they still raise the prices... Supply isn't really decreasing to match it, so where it the logic? And aren't they saying that oil is supposed to be dropping soon? So that would really just destroy the whole "future trading" bs.

This isn't really following a free market kind of model, when they all conspire to raise prices at the same time. Seems more like a variation of a monopoly.

Edit:

That would be good business IMO. Businesses that aren't greedy don't stay in business long. Big business is all greed driven as Microsoft, Moble, Wallmart, etc couldn't give two shits about consumers.

The when gas was cheap people were purchasing gas guzzling SUV's and trucks like mad, using up non-renewable resources and polluting the air like never before. Did you think that would las forever? This is nothing but part of the cycle.

You really think it's non-renewable? Where did it all come from? You think it just popped out of thin air, and once it's all gone, there will never be any ever again?

Yes, we are using it up faster then it's naturally occuring, but there are alternatives, like bio-fuels. Maybe they could even sell some in Canada... But no one in big oil Calgary would buy any, right?

blownz
09-12-2008, 09:20 AM
So has gas actually gone up anywhere yet today? So far I haven't seen any increases in Edmonton. I'm going to laugh when at the end of the day prices are the same and predictions from that guys site turn out to be worthless yet got everyone all worked up. :)

Relax, it is Friday. :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
09-12-2008, 09:22 AM
They went up the same amount in Toronto as he predicted and it was on the news this morning that prices in calgary will rise later today.

Last I heard Microsoft was getting beaten by Google and Apple pretty bad. Not sure what Moble is but it cant be doing that well if I have never heard of them, and walmart is getting a shit kicking by their staff and them being cheap.

I dont think there is anything wrong with being greedy (as capitalism is based on) as long as you are not royally screwing over your customers and employees (which the oil companies are starting to do).

When i am given the option to not use fuel, I will be switched over really quick and no matter how far oil prices come down I dont think I would ever switch back. Just because of the corruption they have shown over these last two years

Eleanor
09-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Demand is decreasing, yet they still raise the prices... Supply isn't really decreasing to match it, so where it the logic?
World demand is always increasing, I haven't seen anything to show otherwise. If you can find a source, let me know.

Supply is at risk due to hurricane Ike, as mentioned earlier.

bituerbo
09-12-2008, 09:27 AM
This kind of BS news is what's jacking up prices.
Retailers notice a lot of people filling up, so prices go up 6 cents.
We could be growing fuel (ethanol, biodiesel) but we don't.

The Cosworth
09-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
This kind of BS news is what's jacking up prices.
Retailers notice a lot of people filling up, so prices go up 6 cents.
We could be growing fuel (ethanol, biodiesel) but we don't.

and then we would be out of food.

If we used 50% biofuels we would need 2 earths to be able to grow enough crops for food and fuel (based on 9 billion people I think it was)

403ep3
09-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Is there any gas stations in calgary that have increased their prices already?

bwling
09-12-2008, 09:38 AM
http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080904/EDM_gas_080904/20080904/?hub=EdmontonHome

Expert breaks down gas price myths
Updated: Thu Sep. 04 2008 12:49:51

The Canadian Press

Motorists expecting the pump price of gasoline to drop as suddenly as the headline cost of crude oil are likely riding for a disappointment.

Many consumers misunderstand the relationship between the price of crude and the retail level of gasoline, says Calgary energy industry consultant Michael Ervin.

Crude oil, the main ingredient in gasoline, continued its slide Thursday, hovering around US$108 per barrel. That is a steep drop from its all-time high of US$147.27 per barrel set July 11.

However, the oil price quoted in daily media reports does not refer to its value at that particular moment, but rather a contract for crude that will be delivered the following month.

"Right off the bat it would be pretty misleading to expect today's pump price to be responding to an October crude oil price,'' Ervin said in an interview Thursday.

"It is linking two events that should not be linked.''

One of the biggest myths is that gasoline prices move up or down by at least as much as crude does, Ervin said.

For instance, a year ago crude oil was quoted at the US$75 a barrel level, and the national average gasoline price compiled by MJ Ervin and Associates was $1.034 per litre.

When oil hit $147, up 96 per cent from early September 2007, gasoline was at $1.40, an increase of 35 per cent.

This week's average pump price is $1.32, slightly higher than a month ago despite crude's pullback.

"It illustrates that there is a very indistinct relationship on the way up,'' Ervin said, "and it's a very indistinct relationship on the way down.''

Gasoline prices are expected to abate this autumn, but largely for reasons other than moves in crude oil, he added.

"In the fall, demand for gasoline starts to diminish and as a result we usually see an easing of the gasoline price even if the crude price doesn't go down,'' he said.

"That's been characteristic of the gasoline market for about as many years as we've tracked the price.''

Eventually, refiners which have bought crude at lower prices will see their costs go down, which will take some more of the edge off gasoline prices, Ervin said.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

World demand is always increasing, I haven't seen anything to show otherwise. If you can find a source, let me know.

Supply is at risk due to hurricane Ike, as mentioned earlier.

3% of the supply.

And if the demand for crude oil is going up, why are the prices not going up, yet gasoline is?

cloud7
09-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
heard on the radio it went up to 1.40

heard that on the radio, but every single gas station I passed by are still in the $1.25-1.30 range here near my work in the NE. I topped up my tank but I was only 1/2 empty before the fill up. I wouldn't say there was a line up at the gas bar but it is certainly more busy than it is usually at this time of the day.

bwling
09-12-2008, 09:42 AM

and then we would be out of food.

If we used 50% biofuels we would need 2 earths to be able to grow enough crops for food and fuel.

I agree. Biofuels drive up the cost of food and are not a sustainable alternative given that many countries in the world are struggling with poverty and starvation.

heavyD
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
You really think it's non-renewable? Where did it all come from? You think it just popped out of thin air, and once it's all gone, there will never be any ever again?

When you suck a well dry does it just majically re-appear? Do you have any idea how long it takes organisms to decompose into crude oil? Hundreds and thousands of years. We are consuming it at a rate that far oustrips supply.

The Cosworth
09-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by bwling

However, the oil price quoted in daily media reports does not refer to its value at that particular moment, but rather a contract for crude that will be delivered the following month.

"Right off the bat it would be pretty misleading to expect today's pump price to be responding to an October crude oil price,'' Ervin said in an interview Thursday.

"It is linking two events that should not be linked.''

my only concern with this statement is that when oil rises $10.00 a barrel they are running out to increase the gas prices accordingly.

It takes maybe 48 hours to have all stations increase to see the 'new' crude costs (although they purchased that oil for a different price months before) but when it comes down they blame the fact that they had to buy this oil for $140.00 a barrel and they still need to charge for it.

I understand the relationship but they are still hoping we are all fools.

kaput
09-12-2008, 09:47 AM

Eleanor
09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
3% of the supply.

And if the demand for crude oil is going up, why are the prices not going up, yet gasoline is?
Most of our oil imports come from the US. So even if they're only 3% of the supply (which they aren't according to this: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/country/country_energy_data.cfm?fips=US In 2005 the Americans provided almost 7% of crude oil production and about 10% of total oil production)

Plus most of our oil is refined in the US, not in the Middle East.

syeve
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't see the big deal, these are PRIVATE companies selling goods. You don't want to pay those prices, don't pay them.

I think HeavyD said the O&G co's are greedy...I wouldn't go that far, they have the resposibility to maximise shareholder value, it really is that simple.

If they can get $1.40/litre (minus taxes blah blah) then they have every right to do so until the Government steps in and declares gouging. Free makret!

bwling
09-12-2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.cppi.ca/pdf/Q&A_e.pdf

Another article explaining gasoline pricing.

anonymous_j
09-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Does anyone know why this sudden and enormous overnight price jump was so easily predicted? With oil prices way down, diesel taxes down, and demand down, the most obvious explanation is the major integrated oil companies are working together to manipulate prices rather than competing. Shell, imperial, and petro canada probably own 80% of the stations in Calgary alone so it would be possible. But I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist so do any educated people actually know what is going on?
im not 'educated' but i do know it would be illegal for gas companies (shell, imperial, petro etc) to be working together rather than competing. im pretty sure some gas bars in quebec got busted recently for colluding with each other.

btw, it's definitely not a conspiracy, im pretty sure gas companies do this regularly

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2008, 10:12 AM

When you suck a well dry does it just majically re-appear? Do you have any idea how long it takes organisms to decompose into crude oil? Hundreds and thousands of years. We are consuming it at a rate that far oustrips supply.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that myself.

Most of our oil imports come from the US. So even if they're only 3% of the supply (which they aren't according to this: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/country/country_energy_data.cfm?fips=US In 2005 the Americans provided almost 7% of crude oil production and about 10% of total oil production)

Plus most of our oil is refined in the US, not in the Middle East.

I did say feel free to disprove me. You haven't convinced me, but you certainly fought your side of the argument better than I did.

Godfuader
09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
$1.28 @ Petro in Crowfoot. $1.40 at the Co-op down the street from it.

toastgremlin
09-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Apparently there were huge jumps in Toronto; something like 12 cents a litre. The news had the requisite "EVERYBODY PANIC" footage of long lines at the pump.

heavyD
09-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Apparently there were huge jumps in Toronto; something like 12 cents a litre. The news had the requisite "EVERYBODY PANIC" footage of long lines at the pump.

Canadians.:rolleyes: The government can flush millions of taxpayer money down the toilet in day to day business and scandals like adscam and we shrug our shoulders. Raise the price of gasoline $0.12 and it's mass hysteria.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2008, 10:32 AM
It's because the money the govt pisses away comes off of our paychecks before we even get them, so we dont miss it.

The 12 cents comes out of our own pockets, so we feel the loss on a more personal level.

At least, that's my presumption.

anonymous_j
09-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Canadians.:rolleyes: The government can flush millions of taxpayer money down the toilet in day to day business and scandals like adscam and we shrug our shoulders. Raise the price of gasoline $0.12 and it's mass hysteria.
easy answer: we feel distant from our government, the average canadian probably could care less about a government scandal just because it feels like it doesnt affect them directly.

gasoline on the other hand, they feel the hit right away.

EvolutionI
09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I heard it on the radio that gas was going to jump. Initially I was like meh, until I realized I would be filling up alter today. Save 5$ filling up before school vs. after, even if I had to settle for crappy Petro Canada gas instead of Shell :(

kaput
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Machi
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionI
I heard it on the radio that gas was going to jump. Initially I was like meh, until I realized I would be filling up alter today. Save 5$ filling up before school vs. after, even if I had to settle for crappy Petro Canada gas instead of Shell :(

why is petro canada gas "crappy"? care to explain? cause I fill up at petro quite often.. :dunno:

Eleanor
09-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I did say feel free to disprove me. You haven't convinced me, but you certainly fought your side of the argument better than I did.
After reading what you quoted, I didn't even finish my damn sentence :rofl:

What I was trying to say was although the US may not account for much oil production worldwide, they still refine most of the gasoline we burn here in Canada. So when their refineries go down, we (Canadians) feel it at the pumps even if it's "our" oil that we're burning.

The Canadian refinery capacity can't meet our needs. So we ship our crude down to the states (normally Texas or the Midwest) to get refined and they ship the final products (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel etc.) back up to us.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM

After reading what you quoted, I didn't even finish my damn sentence :rofl:

What I was trying to say was although the US may not account for much oil production worldwide, they still refine most of the gasoline we burn here in Canada. So when their refineries go down, we (Canadians) feel it at the pumps even if it's "our" oil that we're burning.

The Canadian refinery capacity can't meet our needs. So we ship our crude down to the states (normally Texas or the Midwest) to get refined and they ship the final products (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel etc.) back up to us.

Which I disagree with, but there's really no help for it. They can't open a new refinery here, because I heard it takes somewhere around 5 years to get operational, and who knows what it's going to be like then, so therefore no one wants to put into it.

This is ridiculous, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Eleanor
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
:werd: I posted all that shit, I don't necessarily agree with it, but I've accepted it and taken advantage of it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em :rofl:

pinoyboy88
09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
You get a discount on gas at safeway gas bars if you have a safeway card...I save 7cents a liter every time i pump there, but i only go there when i really need to.

Eleanor
09-12-2008, 01:10 PM
BTW, gas only went up slightly so far anyway.

black13
09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
$1.28 @ Petro in Crowfoot. $1.40 at the Co-op down the street from it.

yea weird, 711 also had it at $1.40 and Petro had it at $1.28 so I quickly filled up.

Damn, I'm thinking about just buying a big tanker and fill it with gas when gas prices are down and just live on it till prices go down.

old&slow
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by revelations
But really, for me and my small rice burner - 50L fillup - every two weeks or so (extra 5$ a fill) the increase isnt really a big deal for me

(from 65$ per fill at 1.30$/L to 70$ at 1.40$/L)

That kinda makes sense till you go back 18 months when that same 50L fill cost you $40.
$5 here $5 there that aint so much!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Palmiros
09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Filled up this with premium this morning at around 11:30. Premium was $1.38 (regular being 1.28)... about half an hour later price for regular jumped to $1.40 with regular at $1.50. This was at Shell on 16th btw.

FiveFreshFish
09-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros
Premium was $1.38 (regular being 1.28)...

Prices didn't go up yet at Esso and Petrocan (today at 4:30PM, Edgemont). Already went up at the Hamptons Co-op.

kenny
09-12-2008, 05:41 PM
$1.36 for regular at the Shell on Old Banff Coach Road as of 10 minutes ago.

johnboy27
09-13-2008, 08:17 PM

Which I disagree with, but there's really no help for it. They can't open a new refinery here, because I heard it takes somewhere around 5 years to get operational, and who knows what it's going to be like then, so therefore no one wants to put into it.

Opening a refinery in Canada is way too hard, too much red tape. Irving has been trying to get their new refinery running in NB for something like 8 years now and are still running into problems with permits and BS.
As for where Canadian gas comes from, some comes from the states. The US supplies BC, AB, Sask and Manitoba. Ontario east is supplied mostly by Venezuela so anything that happens in the states doesn't directly effect most of Canada but everybody feels the pinch.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-14-2008, 12:05 AM
http://www.gasgouge.ca/
I used Edmonton as the reference point, since they don't seem to have Calgary. Not sure what it's based on, or how close/believable it is. Just thought it was interesting.

t_soarer
09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by bashir26
:drama:

One of the reasons why I take the bus to school this year.

+1