PDA

View Full Version : Camera and Lens Warranties are NON-TRANSFERABLE.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-11-2008, 07:49 PM
After seeing a number of threads stating that used camera gear was being sold "with a warranty," I thought it important to point out that most (if not all) camera, lens, and accessory warranties are valid only for the original purchaser. Please bear this in mind when purchasing used camera equipment.

The relevant sections of the manufacturers' warranty agreements are as follows:

Canon

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT EXTEND TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THE EOS DIGITAL CAMERA, OR THE PERSON FOR WHOM IT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT, AND STATES YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY.

Nikon

This warranty is NON-TRANSFERABLE and applies to the original purchaser of the product from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer.

Olympus

This limited warranty is exclusively for the benefit of the original customer and cannot be transferred or assigned.

Pentax

PENTAX IMAGING COMPANY warrants to the original purchaser the product herein registered, to operate according to factory specifications

Sony

Sony's warranty agreement is vague as far as transferability goes, although it does state that a dated receipt is required for warranty work.

Fuji

This warranty is for the benefit of the original purchaser only and is non transferable. The purchaser will be required to submit evidence of date of purchase and to pay all costs of transporting or shipping the product to FUJIFILM for service.

Panasonic

This warranty is extended only to the original purchaser of a new product which was not sold “as is”. A purchase receipt or other proof of the original purchase date is required for warranty service.

Leica from the Leica FAQ

The warranty you get on new items is solely between the person who bought the item and the manufacturer only - it is limited to the initial purchaser and vendor only and is not attached to the item itself.

Hasselblad

This warranty is applicable only if the Product has been purchased and primarily used in the Americas. Warranty claims on goods sold by Hasselblad USA, Inc. can only be resolved by Hasselblad USA, Inc. or by its authorized repair facilities. This warranty is to the original user only, and is non-transferable.

Voigtlander

The Voigtlander warranty extends to the original purchaser only.

megavolt
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
So only transferrable warranty would be FutureShop/BestBuy type extended warranty.

C4S
09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah ..

If you buy from your friends etc .. then it is ok to ask your friend to take the item for warranty if needed ..

Canon is doing alright here, (one reason I perfer Canon, as service center is here, and they are awesome!) Even I told them I am not original owner one time, they are ok with that.:)

BerserkerCatSplat
09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Canon is doing alright here, (one reason I perfer Canon, as service center is here, and they are awesome!) Even I told them I am not original owner one time, they are ok with that.:)

I would say you are the exception, rather than the rule. I would not count on Canon showing leniency.

kenny
09-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I've taken stuff to Canon and they have never verified if I was the original purchaser. I don't even know how they check if the camera is even under warranty still, they just took it in and fixed it for me.

If I remember right, they even shipped the camera back to me so I didn't have to drive back up there. :thumbsup:

Good point for all the makes that may not have local service centers though.

rinny
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
It was only a point and shoot camera that I had taken in to Canon for service, but I just said Im dropping it off for someone else and they were fine with that. Anyone can also pick it up as long as they have the original paper from servicing and ID.

mboldt
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Paid cash with receipt with no name doesn't work? I don't see why not.

benyl
10-01-2008, 11:30 AM
My 70-300 IS 2.8L had some issues. It was second hand. Brought it in and they didn't care at all. It was even bought in the US originally.

C4S
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Um .. I dont want to start a new post, so I may just ask here ....

If anyone know, if I can buy extended warranty on camera? (still under warranty) I know when buying a camera in Future shop, you can buy extended warranty at that time, but what if I want to buy extended warranty after? still few month left, so I am thinking of buying extended warranty, and as Canon service in calgary is done now ..

I know if for US, those MACK warranty is quite common ...

Thx!

G-Suede
01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I like the concept of the thread, but keep in mind that if the gear is sold with a blank receipt and warranty card (no name listed), then the warranty coverage is not so much of an issue. Perhaps rather than stating "with warranty" sellers should be encouraged to disclose whether the receipt and warranty card are blank, along with the original date of purchase.