PDA

View Full Version : LF: Best Hobby Shop for Scale Cars in Calgary

Kona9
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I have been visiting some model car forums, and have started to get intrigued by some of the custom work some of these guys are doing to their models.

I am looking for the most reputable, decent stock, and parts (wheels tires parts etc) in the city.

Thanks in advance.

TomcoPDR
09-12-2008, 05:32 PM
PMS Hobby Craft on 32 Ave NE

Other than that, I would think better deals off of the internet ran warehouse type of stores.

Kona9
09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks Tom.

I read some negative comments in the RC car thread. That was on an RC level though.

There is a store in Killarney on 26th. I went in yesterday. You can't move in that place. All the car models I saw were jammed in a tight aisle. by a counter that I kept almost knocking crap over with. Somewhat crappy service as well.

Oh well. Will keep researching.

Thanks again.

The Cosworth
09-12-2008, 05:48 PM
hobbyguys on 16th has a lot of models and other stuff.

try there?

Kona9
09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks mang!

Canmorite
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
hobbyguys on 16th has a lot of models and other stuff.

try there?

+1 for Hobby Guys. Right across from Peters...

Never had good service at PMS...

clem24
09-12-2008, 11:47 PM
You probably went to Modeland. I used to be an avid modeller. If you're looking for scale models, here are the places to go in Calgary:

1.) Phoenix Comics on 17th Ave. They have the **best** selection of Tamiya and Fujimi at the best prices. Used to go here once a week. They (used to) have awesome boxing day sales.

2.) Uncle Bill's hobbies. Owned by my buddy's dad, Rick. http://members.shaw.ca/unclebills/ Tons of rare items.

3.) Hobby West. Ok selection, but great selection of paints. On MacLeod and about 50th. They do have great prices on clearance stuff.

4.) PM Hobbies. Best selection of aftermarket stuff. Go on boxing day and mid year for their 25% off sale.

5.) Modelland -- visited above.

6.) Hobby City in Crowfoot. Meh, but sometimes i can get lucky here and get good items.

7.) Hobby Guys -- selection kind of weak, and prices are high. I think this is a spin off of PM Hobbies.

I am pretty sure that's all of the Calgary stores that I know of.

If you're interested, I have a large collection of scale models that I want to liquidate but haven't had the time to do so. Also lots of parts like wheels and mufflers and stuff. Hmm.. my old FS page should still be up!

http://members.shaw.ca/clemsmodels/

Also there's a few stores in Edmonton that are really cool. One of the stores (now I forget which one) has an incredible amount of rare items for very reasonable prices.. And I think the only reason why they have these rare items is because no one buys them. hahaha.

If you are looking online, the best places to go are hobbysearch (www.1999.co.jp) and my fav HLJ (www.hlj.com).

Auto Art in Automotive Forums showcases people's *MAD MAD* skills: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=927

Haha hope that helps.

D'z Nutz
09-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I used to go to PMS a lot because of its close proximity to home, but I found Model Land and Chinook & Hobby West on MacLeod trail (where's this on your list, Clem ;) ) had better selections of kits when I went. Of course, this was yeeears ago when I was into scale models so I dunno if things are any different.

IMO, Tamiya had the best kits by far in terms of car selection and build quality, while Fujimi followed a distant second.

If you want some cheap kits to start on before dropping some real dime on the hobby drop me a PM. I have some kits that were started on, but got abandoned along the way (basically new kits, but with painted/half painted bodies). I'll also give you whatever spare parts I have from other kits, like seats and wheels and stuff.

QuasarCav
09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Give Action Hobby in the SE a try. It's run by an older couple and they are very into cars. I went there a couple of months ago because I needed a part quickly and did not want to wait for online shipping. Their prices were almost the same as online for RC heli parts and they had a decent selection.

-PM is very overpriced
-Modelland is even more expensive
-No experience with Hobbyguys

Kona9
09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

I went to Hobby Guys last night. Nothing really at all. All premade die cast stuff.

Then off to PM hobby. I ended up picking up a WRX STI for something to piss around with. Next to no service and limited aftermarket stuff there.

Any of the places mentioned above carry carbon fibre sheet decals? Good selection of aftermarket wheels etc?

I have been reading the Work in Progress section from Automotive Forums and holy shit some of these guys have talent. Pretty cool to see just how they make their own parts and different body mods etc.

Perhaps once I get going on the WRX I bought, I will post some pics of how I came about whatever I created. Would like to mess around and make it a two door wide body. Somewhat of a big step coming in to building models properly in many years!!

clem24
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I found Model Land and Chinook & Hobby West on MacLeod trail (where's this on your list, Clem ;) ) had better selections of kits when I went.

Reading > u.. #3. :D

If you're looking for stuff like Carbon Fibre Decals, go to PM Hobbies. They SHOULD have them. That's where I get mine. It's made by Scale Motorsports. They also carry the stick on chrome sheets. Wheels, PM should have some, but I am guessing they have none since u couldn't find anything.. I am just trying to think of where I saw the most. Man.. Just order off HLJ!

Graham_A_M
09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
www.towerhobbies.com

SprayGUN
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
High Performance Hobbies on 52nd street by 7-11 and the Carwash just before Peigan Trail.

Whiley
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
there use to be a local (calgary or alberta?) modelers forum? or chat board?

badatusrnames
09-14-2008, 10:43 PM
http://www.rockymountainmodelclub.com/split.html

frozenrice
09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Just got home from Phoenix, but they don't have what I'm looking for. My son turns eight in the next couple of weeks and I want to get him a snap together kit for a start. The guy at Phoenix said they don't carry them as they're pretty much discontinued. Any ideas on who's got the best selection of what's left?

The Cosworth
09-15-2008, 07:08 PM
^^ I think PM has the best sized store (so I would think largest selection) just dont hope to get any help from anyone.

Kona9
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Just got home from Phoenix, but they don't have what I'm looking for. My son turns eight in the next couple of weeks and I want to get him a snap together kit for a start. The guy at Phoenix said they don't carry them as they're pretty much discontinued. Any ideas on who's got the best selection of what's left?

At PM, they have a bunch of models off to the side by the paints that are around 10 bucks each. I believe there are a few snap togethers. If not then they are only ten bucks. Good starter kits.

clem24
09-16-2008, 01:17 AM
If ur looking for snap kits, go to Toys r us or Walmart. Those are cheapest. PM should have a good selection too.