PDA

View Full Version : Dealer plates?

2EFNFAST
09-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Do dealer plates exempt you from certain registration requirements (e.g., OOP inspection and pass)? I remember reading somethign along those lines, but I don't know if it's BS or not.

dannie
09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
No it doesn't. The only thing that it exempts you from is having to register the car to that plate. Other than that you have to register the plate every year (much more expensive than a normal plate), pay your insurance, pay amvic and renew a business licence. It does not exempt you from out of province inspections or age inspections for insurance.

Wehbeast
09-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by dannie
No it doesn't. The only thing that it exempts you from is having to register the car to that plate. Other than that you have to register the plate every year (much more expensive than a normal plate), pay your insurance, pay amvic and renew a business licence. It does not exempt you from out of province inspections or age inspections for insurance.

You ar enot permitted to drive around with a d-plate, it's only for moving cars and test drives etc. My buddy got a $500 ticket for driving around with his d-plate

TomcoPDR
09-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Also, it's not a free for all pass... meaning, if you set up a little 5 car dealer lot, the only vehicles you can transport under your "dealer plate" is your own 5 non-plated vehicles registered to your business.

And not a "ha Beyond, anyone buying a car from out of province I'll rent out my dealer plate out for $200/use"

88jbody
09-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Do dealer plates exempt you from certain registration requirements (e.g., OOP inspection and pass)? I remember reading somethign along those lines, but I don't know if it's BS or not.

you are correct you just go down the the registry and ask for one, you'll need your drivers licence a valid insurance card and it will be a bit more money then a normal plate, but you can drive any car you want anywhere you want with it and not have to worry about anything :thumbsup:

Sorath
09-13-2008, 09:52 PM
u need a business license too

88jbody
09-13-2008, 10:06 PM
pretty sure you need to have a very large bond as well

Jynx
09-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
u need a business license too

and amvic license and garage policy insurance

NewLextasy
09-14-2008, 10:29 AM
business license, amvic license for both u and your business, garage policy insurance.

and to answer your question, you don't need an OP to legally drive the car, but if any one else is going to ever register the car they will need an OP