PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Cars

flipstah
09-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I recently visited the VW site and saw that they're coming out with a new Diesel-powered Jetta. Now I know from experience (99.99999999% of cars in the Philippines are diesel) that they are truly fuel-efficient. Upon my recent trip to the gas station however, I see no Diesel pump in sight (Co-Op Taradale unless I'm blind.)

Where can you get diesel in Calgary at the moment and do you think as time progresses, diesel demand will increase?

VW said their cars burn 'clean' diesel so I'm guessing lower sulfur/soot emission?

Davetronz
09-14-2008, 10:41 AM
I had a diesel VW, and I sold it within a year. Too hard to find diesel gas, it stunk, I stunk after filling up, and the car was always filthy on the back end from the exhaust. I didn't see a "awesome" savings in the diesel vs. gas cost on a monthly basis either...

Aleks
09-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Davetronz
I had a diesel VW, and I sold it within a year. Too hard to find diesel gas, it stunk, I stunk after filling up, and the car was always filthy on the back end from the exhaust. I didn't see a "awesome" savings in the diesel vs. gas cost on a monthly basis either...

How old was this car?

dino_martini
09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
here is essentially a list of some of the diesel stations in Calgary:

http://www.calgarygasprices.com/index.aspx?s=Y&fuel=D&area=All+Areas&station=All+Stations&tme_limit=72&site=Calgary&srch=0&list=0

Ashers
09-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I've never had a problem finding diesel in Calgary. On my way home from the airport, I know that on country hills, there is the Esso and Shell in coventry, and the Co-op and Shell in Symons Valley. So I pass 7 Stations, 4 have diesel, 1 doesn't, 2 I am unsure about. The only problem I've had is when it hits -30 or lower and the fuel gels up really good. But then, according to the owners manual, the engine is only guaranteed to run down to -27. I've never had a issue with smell, I just carry around a pair of latex gloves if I have to fill up on the way to work. All in all, a great car, if you don't mind waiting a while in winter for the heater to work (but I think the new Jetta's have a Auxiliary electric heater, which the MK4's don't have).

flipstah
09-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Davetronz

I read that the new VW's are unlike the diesels of yesteryear. It burns cleaner and doesn't stink. This should be a hit in Asia!

If the new Diesel Jetta really runs 1,100km per tank, I would be mightly impressed. My Outlander does ~420km per tank and each tank cost ~$60-65.

According to VW's site, (http://www.vw.ca/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_ca/Inside/innovation__new_/engines/tdi_clean_diesel/diesel_defence_.html) the Jetta has a 55L tank.

1.23/L * 55L = $67.65

That's pretty good bang for your buck. To get the same mileage, I have to fill up my Outlander almost thrice. :eek: Then again, mine is AWD... blah blah blah.

Nevertheless, that's quite cheap!

Originally posted by dino_martini
here is essentially a list of some of the diesel stations in Calgary:

http://www.calgarygasprices.com/index.aspx?s=Y&fuel=D&area=All+Areas&station=All+Stations&tme_limit=72&site=Calgary&srch=0&list=0

Thanks! I see that Superstore has Diesel pumps. Still not a lot though.

megavolt
09-15-2008, 08:33 AM
VW's TDI's have been around for years (mine's a '99), the only difference with the new one is that it's emmisions are better. My car still gets 1100km per tank on the highway (55L tank). And diesel pumps are everywhere, just not at EVERY gas station. As for the smell...... you get used to it. ;)

Zero102
09-15-2008, 11:18 AM
New VW diesels have a DPF, and no automatic transmissions (DSG / manual only) this helps to improve the cleanliness and mileage (although the DPF hurts mileage, no slushboxes helps).

Diesel is super easy to find. If you're the kind of guy who only ever goes to one gas station or always stops at the first one then you'll get frustrated at first, but usually 1 in every 2 or 3 gas stations carries diesel.

As for the smell and the back of the car being sooty, sounds like you're driving an older diesel. When it is below 10*C I get 2-3 seconds of smoke from my car, and there is no soot at all on the back of my car, ever. Back is just as clean as the front, and my golf is tuned so it does smoke a bit at WOT.

The complaint about your hands and clothes smelling when you fill it up is stupid. I smell when I fill up my gasser too, thats part of filling up a car. Diesel fuel atomizes far less than gas, so you shouldn't pick up the smell unless you spill on yourself.

Right now diesel is ~10-16c/L cheaper than gas, and most years it will average this all summer. Count in the 15-25% mileage gain (since diesel fuel has more energy than gas) and it's a winner all summer.

Keep in mind, in the winter due to the home-heating oil demand diesel fuel comes up to be around the same as regular-unleaded. Also, due to our climate they blend in D1 with the normal D2 fuel to help winterize it. This reduces the energy content by 15-30%, so you will see a 10-30% mileage hit in the winter.

I've got an 05 golf gls tdi right now and couldn't be happier with it. In the future when I need something bigger I hope the van-makers are smart enough to bring over their diesel mini-vans from overseas.