PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Kamen
09-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Anyone see it yet? Comments?

I just saw it with Gpomp tonight. Funny movie, I laughed at most of the corny and ridiculously random events...heh
I don't know what to make of it yet though because it really was too much of a random jumble of events, but I think I enjoyed it. I think Johhny Depp (sp?) was good.

pinoyhero
09-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Haven't seen it yet but from what I heard its not a bad flcik. I'll think I'll check it out tomorrow, I'll post a mini review.

D'z Nutz
09-13-2003, 12:04 AM
It was way too Hollywood, if you ask me. I enjoyed desperado MUCH more.

But Salma.... Mmm Mmmm Mmmmm! Salma Salma Salma! :love:

Si1ent_A5sa5sin
09-13-2003, 12:20 AM
OMFG... sorry i should have posted a few ago...

A friend hooked me up with some premiere tickets to it... jesus.. if i knew it would be like that i woulda asked for some money too!

IT SUCKED! IT WAS HORRIBLE! I DIDINT KNOW WHETHER TO PUKE OR PUNCH MY FRIEND FOR TAKING ME!

There were people actually WALKING out of the theater!

Anyways... if u are planing to go see it... DONT! And if u already have... i feel ur pain.

Steve

Shaolin
09-13-2003, 12:36 AM
I saw Desperados and I didn't like that movie at all, the movie was all action and nothing else.. so chances are I won't like this one..

I don't know why it is, but it seems every Banderas movie has this template of "Lots of guns, Banderas against 20000 guys in 1 room and every bad guy misses him, but Banderas will do 60 summersaults in the air while going John Woo style on all 20000 bad guys while he's in flight... seconds later he will land on his feet, kiss some hot chick, and repeat"

:dunno:

AquamosH
09-13-2003, 01:01 AM
I personally loved this film! I'm a huge fan of Robert Rodriguez's movies about El Mariachi. I'll admit it got kind of confusing at times, but a lot of other good movies do too.

If you liked the other two movies about El Mariachi, then you'll probably like this one. I also liked how Rodriguez kept a balance between the actors speaking spanish and english.

gpomp
09-13-2003, 01:33 AM
"Are you a Mexican or a Mexican't?"

That's gotta be the lamest line I've ever heard in a movie.

max_boost
09-13-2003, 01:47 AM
Johnny Depp is a great actor.
I'll check it out tomorrow night

Kamen
09-13-2003, 02:18 AM
"See you later" - Retired FBI
"...fuck you" - JD

Best line EVAR.

hjr
09-13-2003, 12:02 PM
the only reason i was planning on seeing it was for johnny depp. I saw el mariachi about 5 years ago, and i saw desperado before that (i know wrong order), but i think in hindsight anyways that both of the movies really were not that good. I liked desperado cause i was about 12 years old and you get to see selma's boobs. Not a very good reason for liking a movie.

sexualbanana
09-13-2003, 01:33 PM
The movie was just an excuse to blow shit up, and they achieved that.

accordboi_02
09-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
I saw Desperados and I didn't like that movie at all, the movie was all action and nothing else.. so chances are I won't like this one..

I don't know why it is, but it seems every Banderas movie has this template of "Lots of guns, Banderas against 20000 guys in 1 room and every bad guy misses him, but Banderas will do 60 summersaults in the air while going John Woo style on all 20000 bad guys while he's in flight... seconds later he will land on his feet, kiss some hot chick, and repeat"

:dunno:

What about Spy Kids?????

Shaolin
09-13-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

What about Spy Kids?????

alright fine, i wasn't thinking about spy kids.. all i could think about was desperados and that ecks vs sever movie :D

accordboi_02
09-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin

alright fine, i wasn't thinking about spy kids.. all i could think about was desperados and that ecks vs sever movie :D

BEST MOVIES EVER!!! (sarcasm)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Has anyone on here ever seen any of them??

D'z Nutz
09-13-2003, 03:37 PM
I saw the first two spy kids. The first one was good. I never though Robert Rodrigeuz would do a kids movie, but he did a damn good job of it.

Kamen
09-13-2003, 07:14 PM
I saw ecks vs sever last year around this same time lol
I can remember the movie, but I think I was too busy watching the movie for places I could recognize since it was filmed in Vancouver rather than watching all the so called action...

Ajay
09-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Kamen
I saw ecks vs sever last year around this same time lol
I can remember the movie, but I think I was too busy watching the movie for places I could recognize since it was filmed in Vancouver rather than watching all the so called action...

That movie was weak....the motorcycle scene with Lucy Lui and Antonia Banderas was the worst ever scene in the history of chase scenes. That was the slowest motorcyle chase ever.

I was tempted to ask my friend to reimburse me for my $13.50 after the movie cause it was his idea to see it.

mwmhong
09-15-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

That movie was weak....

Yeah, worse than BattleField Earth, it got a 0% approval on RottenTomatoes....ouch! :rofl:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/BallisticEcksvsSever-1116131/

JustinL
09-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I think there was a lot more to "once upon a time in mexico" than people give it credit for. The whole movie is a lot more tongue-in-cheek than the first two. Rodriguez tries to make a lot of points in the movie through metaphor i.e. Johnny Depp's character. Now I don't claim to understand all of the references but I think Depp's character was pretty clearly a metaphor for the U.S.A. He maintains balance in a foreign country by killing innocent people (the cook) and all his negotiations are conducted with a gun under the table. I'm not quite sure what blinding him was supposed to mean though. Maybe the way he shoots blindly...?

I didn't like how they had to spell out that the movie is a story and picked up some "embellishments" along the way. In desperado, this was supposed to be understood by the audience. And we can accept that Antonio can dodge bullets.

That's just my take on it though.

Justin