PDA

View Full Version : Official details and images for Chevy Volt

calstar
09-16-2008, 08:58 AM
http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/chevrolet/gm-reveals-production-version-of-chevrolet-volt-plug-in-hybrid/

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/GM/Chevrolet/Volt/2010_Chevrolet_Volt_small.jpg

Damn. I have to say this actually looks great.

schocker
09-16-2008, 09:05 AM
That is a good looknig vehicle, but why the dark trunk to make it look like the prius:dunno:

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
It's got a lot of torque, does that mean it could actually be kind of fast?

barmanjay
09-16-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm starting to really like the looks of this vehicle

Eleanor
09-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
It's got a lot of torque, does that mean it could actually be kind of fast?
The Prius has a boat load of torque as well. No, it isn't fast.

benyl
09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I am curious how the range will be affected by -30 temperatures.

Rarasaurus
09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
^ thats a good question i am also curious how long the battery will last and how much it will cost to replace.

Thaco
09-16-2008, 09:35 AM
that's cool, i only drive on average like 30KM to and from work every day, so that's well under the "electric" threshold, i think the gas in the tank would go bad before I'd get a chance to use it.

blownz
09-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Now that car is about the same size as the Colbalt. Why can't GM make the Cobalt look that good??? It would be the best looking compact on the market if it was.

01RedDX
09-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Destinova403
09-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by blownz
Now that car is about the same size as the Colbalt. Why can't GM make the Cobalt look that good??? It would be the best looking compact on the market if it was.

See Chevy Cruze (Cobalt Replacement)

this car is going to sell like hot-cakes and hopefully the technology will trickle down into other models

plus, now all the other brands will want to catch up which will create competition, and eventually even more fuel efficient cars to choose from.

blownz
09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
^ I have seen the Cruze and while it looks better than the Cobalt, it doesn't look nearly as good as this does.

I really need to see both in person though.

Xtrema
09-16-2008, 01:16 PM
The gauges lcd is unnecessary complicated. Kinda like the Japanese cars in the early 80s.

Thaco
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The gauges lcd is unnecessary complicated. Kinda like the Japanese cars in the early 80s. depending on it's functionality i think it's great... leaves endless possibilities for displaying a plethora of info.

Khalil.e
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
:hitit:

iceburns288
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm most impressed with the interior. Hard for import nerds to diss that center console.:thumbsup:

4doorj
09-16-2008, 03:34 PM
looks nice!

403Gemini
09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

The Prius has a boat load of torque as well. No, it isn't fast.

2008 prius 1.5 L engine

Horsepower 110 @ 5000 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 82 @ 4200 RPM

Yeah, thats a real boat load alright! :rolleyes:

Volt's 150 hp, 273 tq has NOTHING on that (let alone that power is at all speeds, not at a specific rpm).

QuasarCav
09-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think you are including the Prius' electric motor as well. Lots of torque at 0 rpm.

Quick to roll the eyes!

tjblacklight
09-16-2008, 05:14 PM
centre console is to badass

old&slow
09-16-2008, 05:34 PM
opps

Destinova403
09-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I don't think you are including the Prius' electric motor as well. Lots of torque at 0 rpm.

Quick to roll the eyes!

prius electric motor is just an assist, the electric motor on the volt is the only motor hooked up to the wheels, in the prius, the gas engine powers the wheels, on the volt the gas engine only powers the generator.

QuasarCav
09-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

prius electric motor is just an assist, the electric motor on the volt is the only motor hooked up to the wheels, in the prius, the gas engine powers the wheels, on the volt the gas engine only powers the generator.

Does the Prius electric motor provide an increase in torque while assisting the engine?

Speed_69
09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
wow..this car looks really good!!

Destinova403
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Does the Prius electric motor provide an increase in torque while assisting the engine?

i would presume, but i'd also presume that it isnt able to provide as much for a variety of reasons.

Redlyne_mr2
09-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Surprised these pics hadnt surfaced ealier, that was the new york autoshow IIRC. they had a whole section on alternative fuel vehicles. Car looks great and looks as if its almost ready for production.

Destinova403
09-16-2008, 07:21 PM
live pictures and more details on the battery are available

The battery has a life of ten years and 150,000 miles. Unlike cellphone batteries, the battery will not wear down toward the end of its life. There may be a secondary market for the batteries, with utility companies buying them up to use for other purposes.
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2008/09/chevy_volt_gms_1.html#more

Xtrema
09-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

2008 prius 1.5 L engine

Horsepower 110 @ 5000 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 82 @ 4200 RPM

Yeah, thats a real boat load alright! :rolleyes:

Volt's 150 hp, 273 tq has NOTHING on that (let alone that power is at all speeds, not at a specific rpm).

Actually,

http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dynorunsmallcopy6eg.jpg

The electric motor has a torque rating of 295lb/ft from 0-1200 rpm. And can put down 67hp between 1200-1600rpm

The design is different. Toyota only has a 1.3kwh battery where Volt has a 16kwh battery. Even if Toyota has make the Prius plug-in, the saving will be minimal.

Thaco
09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
live pictures and more details on the battery are available

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2008/09/chevy_volt_gms_1.html#more

depending on the price for replacing the battery, that seems reasonable.

Xtrema
09-16-2008, 09:28 PM
^

So it's still 2 years away before anyone will see one and 3 for general public.

If the $7500 fed credit comes true, this car will cost round $42K USD or probably $50K+ cdn.

No thanks. I'll just go buy a more useful Insight for $30K and get my savings up front.

Thaco
09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
^

If the $7500 fed credit comes true, this car will cost round $42K USD or probably $50K+ cdn.

No thanks. I'll just go buy a more useful Insight for $30K and get my savings up front. where did you see any mention of pricing?

Destinova403
09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
^

No thanks. I'll just go buy a more useful Insight for $30K and get my savings up front.

pricing is expected to be 35000 US after the fed credit according to businessweek

Xtrema
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM

pricing is expected to be 35000 US after the fed credit according to businessweek

And US fed credit are rumor to be 7500. Which make this car $42 without any incentives - worse case scenario in Canada since I don't see why our government want to subsidize it other may be a couple grand of eco rebate.

GM has said all along it's going to be north of $40K without government help. $40K cars in US usually mean $50K car in Canada.

Meanwhile Honda call Prius too expensive which signal that Insight will come under that which means under $30K cdn out the door.

Even at 1/4 of the cost, it will take the Volt 4 years to offset its price difference compare to Insight.

gpomp
09-17-2008, 12:11 AM
hopefully the insight will be well under $30k in canada since it'll be <$20k in the states.

Eleanor
09-17-2008, 02:09 PM
45k for this?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Casa
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-great-hybrid-showdown-chevrolet-volt-vs-toyota-prius/

I don't believe the Volt is anything amazing.
"Even if we slash electric rates in half, to 50 cents a charge, it would still take over thirty years to amortize the Volt’s higher purchase price. Comparing the Volt to the plug-in Prius is even less favorable to the Chevy: it would take 58 years to recoup the Volt’s $14k price differential."

Destinova403
09-19-2008, 09:20 AM
^^ so basically its exactly like every other hybrid when it first came out right?

the best part of this car is that over time the cost will go down, as production ramps up, and the technology will force more competition which will breed better and better cars, and it will start to trickle down into other cars as well.

Casa
09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
^^ so basically its exactly like every other hybrid when it first came out right?

the best part of this car is that over time the cost will go down, as production ramps up, and the technology will force more competition which will breed better and better cars, and it will start to trickle down into other cars as well.

nah, this is Chevrolet vs. Toyota. Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world. Chevrolet makes econo-boxes that are on the Consumer Reports as Unreliable. Why would I trust them to make an compact electric hybrid car? THAT'S SCARY. We'll have to see how long term test reports fare, before I jump on the "VOLT IS GAWD FTMFW" boat

Destinova403
09-19-2008, 10:10 AM
... you amaze me...
which car is ahead of both the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry in the JD Power quality tests?

oh wait... its the Malibu

what car is the fastest street legal production car around the 'ring (the ACR was using an illegal front lip) beating out everything that even Ferrari has to offer.

oh wait... its a Corvette

dismissing an entire auto-brand based on their low-end offerings is ignorant and just makes you look like an idiot.

the Volt has to overcome all the same things that the Prius did when it first came out. The car will sell, and it will be successful, and hopefully it will push all the other automakers to come out with similar designs.
Move beyond your ignorance and look at the bigger picture.
if it wasnt for the volt, Toyota wouldnt have even considered a plug in hybrid... in fact, a year or so ago, the Toyota president went on the record saying that it would be impossible to make.

when one auto company is successful it pushes the others to strive to create a better product.

EDITS = grammar/additions

Casa
09-19-2008, 10:22 AM
... you amaze me...
which car is ahead of both the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry in the JD Power quality tests?

oh wait... its the Malibu

the Volt has to overcome all the same things that the Prius did when it first came out. The car will sell, and it will be successful, and hopefully it will push all the other automakers to come out with similar designs.
Move beyond your ignorance and look at the bigger picture.
if it wasnt for the volt, Toyota wouldnt have even considered a plug in hybrid... in fact, a year or so ago, the Toyota president went on the record saying that it would be impossible to make.

when one auto company is successful it pushes the others to strive to create a better product.

uh uhhh
How is the Malibu an applicable application to what we're talking about? The Volt is about the same size as the unreliable Cobalt... same platform, thank God its a different engine.. oh wait, its GM's first gen electric car :poosie:

Did you even read the article? I dare you, just read it. Be dazzled by the monstrous price of the Volt vs. the Prius and any other econo box..! How is wit worth it to drive a Volt?

i do agree with this though with this.

Destinova403
09-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Casa

uh uhhh
How is the Malibu an applicable application to what we're talking about? The Volt is about the same size as the unreliable Cobalt... same platform, thank God its a different engine.. oh wait, its GM's first gen electric car :poosie:

Did you even read the article? I dare you, just read it. Be dazzled by the monstrous price of the Volt vs. the Prius and any other econo box..! How is wit worth it to drive a Volt?

i do agree with this though with this.

what you are forgetting is that the Prius was in the EXACT SAME place as the volt when it first came out... EVERYONE thought it was over-priced based on the price of similar econo-boxes

and the Volt isnt on the same platform as the Cobalt... its the same platform as the Cruze which is based on a Volvo platform... the S40 i believe?

the Cobalt platform similar to the old cavy one and its getting discontinued after the cruze goes on sale in north america.

and the Malibu is relevant because it disproves your "all chevys are crap" stance.

EDIT: i'd like you to know though, that i do agree with you, that the Volt is not going to pay for itself. But you are bashing the car without looking into the technology that it brings to market, and the broader implications of it selling well (which it surely will just like the Prius did).

Hybrids in general still dont pay for themselves when you compare them to similarly equipped small cars, that includes the Prius.

look beyond this one model and look at the big picture of its technology becoming mainstream.

Casa
09-19-2008, 10:33 AM

what you are forgetting is that the Prius was in the EXACT SAME place as the volt when it first came out... EVERYONE thought it was over-priced based on the price of similar econo-boxes

and the Volt isnt on the same platform as the Cobalt... its the same platform as the Cruze which is based on a Volvo platform... the S40 i believe?

the Cobalt platform similar to the old cavy one and its getting discontinued after the cruze goes on sale in north america.

and the Malibu is relevant because it disproves your &quot;all chevys are crap&quot; stance.

um the Prius was expensive when it came out? sure seems like that in 2001, that the Original Retail Price (MSRP) $19,995 isn't that bad... give your head a shake. The Volt is $35k plus.. its not comparable.
Doesn't matter if its based on the "cobalt" or "Cruze" platform. Still based off an unreliable econo-box model Chevrolet makes.

And I did not say once all "chevy's are crap"? Why are you making this up? I think the Malibu is a decent sedan. I just think all econo-boxes by Chevrolet are garbage.

Xtrema
09-19-2008, 10:39 AM

nah, this is Chevrolet vs. Toyota. Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world. Chevrolet makes econo-boxes that are on the Consumer Reports as Unreliable. Why would I trust them to make an compact electric hybrid car? THAT'S SCARY. We'll have to see how long term test reports fare, before I jump on the &quot;VOLT IS GAWD FTMFW&quot; boat

Hahahahhaha, how many GM has you own?

Can't believe people still have that feeling in their heads.

um the Prius was expensive when it came out? sure seems like that in 2001, that the Original Retail Price (MSRP) $19,995 isn't that bad... give your head a shake. The Volt is $35k plus.. its not comparable.
Doesn't matter if its based on the &quot;cobalt&quot; or &quot;Cruze&quot; platform. Still based off an unreliable econo-box model Chevrolet makes.

And I did not say once all &quot;chevy's are crap&quot;? Why are you making this up? I think the Malibu is a decent sedan. I just think all econo-boxes by Chevrolet are garbage.

more lol

The original Prius is basically slapping a bigger battery on the Tercel.

Yaris is on Consumer Report's worst list. Your Toyota bias is not justified.

Casa
09-19-2008, 10:42 AM

Hahahahhaha, how many GM has you own?

Can't believe people still have that feeling in their heads.

owned two GM's. Both were nightmares.

more lol

The original Prius is basically slapping a bigger battery on the Tercel.

Yaris is on Consumer Report's worst list. Your Toyota bias is not justified.

Yes, the Prius's rechargeable braking system, its much better gas mileage, its features, and its standard ABS and options are just a slapped on "battery on a Tercel." Fool.
The Yaris had long stopping distances on non-equipped ABS models. The ABS ones were average. A Corolla and a Cobalt are not comparable.

Destinova403
09-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Doesn't matter if its based on the &quot;cobalt&quot; or &quot;Cruze&quot; platform. Still based off an unreliable econo-box model Chevrolet makes.

And I did not say once all &quot;chevy's are crap&quot;? Why are you making this up? I think the Malibu is a decent sedan. I just think all econo-boxes by Chevrolet are garbage.

The Volvo S40 is the closest comparable car... and its very reliable.
The Prius real world fuel savings means that it was very difficult to justify it over a 15000 Civic/Corolla.
you need to look at the Context of the price. 35k for a car designed to be a family car thats well equipped and uses no gas isn't that bad either now is it?
just like a 20k car which is equipped like an econobox and gets the same milage as a Golf TDI

both of those cars are priced high for what they are. The fact of the matter is that the important part is the development of the new technology and the trickling down of that technology into other, more exciting cars.

for instance... the Hybrid Sports car that Honda promised us. your still only looking at the small picture.

Casa
09-19-2008, 10:53 AM

The Volvo S40 is the closest comparable car... and its very reliable.
The Prius real world fuel savings means that it was very difficult to justify it over a 15000 Civic/Corolla.
you need to look at the Context of the price. 35k for a car designed to be a family car thats well equipped and uses no gas isn't that bad either now is it?
just like a 20k car which is equipped like an econobox and gets the same milage as a Golf TDI

both of those cars are priced high for what they are. The fact of the matter is that the important part is the development of the new technology and the trickling down of that technology into other, more exciting cars.

for instance... the Hybrid Sports car that Honda promised us. your still only looking at the small picture.

5000 more and you get a car that uses a lot less gas makes sense. You're comparing the Golf TDI to a Prius for gas mileage? How about comparing the repair bills of the Prius to the Golf.. again not comparable, which is why a Toyota Prius is a good buy than for 20k. 25,000 dollars (from Volt to Prius) buys you a lot of gas, and lets be honest, who only drives 64km? I don't see how useful that would be if you drive more than that daily, or even if you drove 15km a day. Having to pay that much is fucking retarded.
"Hypothetical economic scenario one: six weekly round trips of 35 miles each. In this example, the Volt would never need a drop of gasoline (except for the occasional auto-programmed runs to cycle fuel and oil). If we inflation-adjust today’s electric rates, a recharge will average about one dollar. Annual “fuel” cost: $312.

A Prius would take 220 gallons of gas @ 50mpg to cover the same 11k miles. Assuming $4/gallon in 2011, annual fuel cost is $880. The Volt’s $22k purchase premium over the Prius would take 39 years to amortize. A $40k “subsidized” Volt would take a mere 32 years. These calculations don’t include interest, either on the higher purchase price of the Volt, or on the money saved (opportunity cost). "
Point made.

pinoyhero
09-20-2008, 11:58 AM
I like this move by the company. Car looks good and technology looks right as well. Good move.

cam_wmh
09-20-2008, 02:06 PM

5000 more and you get a car that uses a lot less gas makes sense. You're comparing the Golf TDI to a Prius for gas mileage? How about comparing the repair bills of the Prius to the Golf.. again not comparable, which is why a Toyota Prius is a good buy than for 20k. 25,000 dollars (from Volt to Prius) buys you a lot of gas, and lets be honest, who only drives 64km? I don't see how useful that would be if you drive more than that daily, or even if you drove 15km a day. Having to pay that much is fucking retarded.
&quot;Hypothetical economic scenario one: six weekly round trips of 35 miles each. In this example, the Volt would never need a drop of gasoline (except for the occasional auto-programmed runs to cycle fuel and oil). If we inflation-adjust today’s electric rates, a recharge will average about one dollar. Annual “fuel” cost: $312.

A Prius would take 220 gallons of gas @ 50mpg to cover the same 11k miles. Assuming $4/gallon in 2011, annual fuel cost is $880. The Volt’s $22k purchase premium over the Prius would take 39 years to amortize. A $40k “subsidized” Volt would take a mere 32 years. These calculations don’t include interest, either on the higher purchase price of the Volt, or on the money saved (opportunity cost). &quot;
Point made.

Well fucking said.:closed:

A790
09-20-2008, 02:46 PM

&quot;Hypothetical economic scenario one: six weekly round trips of 35 miles each. In this example, the Volt would never need a drop of gasoline (except for the occasional auto-programmed runs to cycle fuel and oil). If we inflation-adjust today’s electric rates, a recharge will average about one dollar. Annual “fuel” cost: $312.

A Prius would take 220 gallons of gas @ 50mpg to cover the same 11k miles. Assuming $4/gallon in 2011, annual fuel cost is $880. The Volt’s $22k purchase premium over the Prius would take 39 years to amortize. A $40k “subsidized” Volt would take a mere 32 years. These calculations don’t include interest, either on the higher purchase price of the Volt, or on the money saved (opportunity cost). &quot;
Point made.
See, you're looking at it from the short-sighted "howmuchmoneycanthissavemerightnowgoddammit" point of view, and while I can't necessarily blame you for having that viewpoint, your lack of foresight is actually kind of funny.

The Volt represents the first real, tangible effort by GM to shift their focus to greener, more fuel efficient vehicles. The Volt could, and hopefully will, be the catalyst that GM (and other major manufacturers) need to start producing vehicles that go beyond the "hey, let's build a hybrid that's kinda better than the non-hybrid" mentality and into the "hey, how can we produce a product that meets our customers expectations and significantly reduces its carbon footprint?".

Given that it's a first product there are going to be flaws. People like you are going to jump down GM's throat because of it, and if enough people with your lack of foresight start doing it, GM might scrap the idea completely. That would be very unfortunate given the current economic situation that the global economy is faced with, and for more than one reason.

You see, all major innovation has to start somewhere. GM is making a very bold move here, and I applaud them for it. For people that don't mind paying a premium to know that they are actually encouring change, the Volt is a great vehicle. For your average Joe that doesn't give a damn and only cares about how much money is being spent (you), it's not a great vehicle at all.

You forget that the Honda FCX Clarity is on a limited lease for $600/mo (and you can't even buy that out). It's another example of a manufacturer taking some serious initiative to introduce something different to the market.

Hopefully, people like you get drowned out by people like destinova or me. People like you are the reason why domestic manufacturers created so much junk for so long, and why they are now having to rebuild their brand names and their reputations. Fearing change is normal, but at some point, you need to accept that perhaps it may need to happen.