PDA

View Full Version : 2008/2009 U of C Engineering Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Eleanor
09-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Well it's that time of year again. I'm not actually in classes this year, so that's why I'm late on making one of these.

Here's the thread to talk profs/questions/rant about engineering at the U of C. Also post up your names/years/programs and I'll tabulate a list again in this first post.

Also, if people are interested there are a couple clubs/teams I'd highly recommend you join including: Mini-Baja (http://www.enme.ucalgary.ca/~minibaja/), Formula SAE (http://www.ucalgary.ca/schulichracing/), Concrete Toboggan (http://www.ucalgary.ca/~gnctr/), Engineers Without Borders (http://ucalgary.ewb.ca/) & Solar Team (http://www.calgarysolarteam.ca/main.html)

EDIT: As well I thought we might have an ENGG Beyond meet this year so people can put some names to faces and check out what everyone drives. Don't worry if your car is a POS, so is mine and I'll be there :rofl: . I was thinking maybe a Friday afternoon/evening meet if people are interested. Let me know dates/times that work for you.

I'll update the list as people post up:

Eleanor: Mike D. - Mech, On Internship, FSAE
a social dsease: Scott C. - Civil, On Internship
93accord: Ahsan S. - Mech, 2nd Year
JoniBoy: Jonathan H. - Chem, On Internship
tlapec: Mike C. - Mech, 2nd Year
BerserkerCatSplat: Trevor - Civil, 3rd Year, FSAE
diamondedge: Gabe - Elec, 3rd Year
A2VR6: Chris - Mech, 4th Year, FSAE
Spoons: Russ - 1st Year
sweeks: Steve W. - Elec, On Internship
jwslam: Jason L. - Mech, 3rd Year
r0g3r: Roger P. - Civil, 3rd Year
XylathaneGTR: Darren - Mech, 2.5 Year, FSAE
Dehvee: David T. - Chem, 2nd Year
Bongo: Brian - Geo, 4th Year
TurboCarrera: Matt B. - 1st Year
bball2: Ash H. - Mech, 3rd Year

a social dsease
09-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Scott C - Civil, on internship right now

nobb
09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I might actually go to the Formula SAE meeting on oct 7. Looks interesting and I love working with cars. Anyone know if I can just park outside the mech building for the meeting...or will they ticket?

93accord
09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Ahsan S. - Mech - 2nd year. I'm also looking at joining Formula SAE, hey Mike just wondering how much time do you put in FSAE every week?

JoniBoy
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Jonathan H - Chem on internship

tlapec
09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Mike C 2nd yr Mech

BerserkerCatSplat
09-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Trevor, Civil, 3rd Year, FSAE.

diamondedge
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Gabe, 3rd Year Electrical

FSAE meeting is Oct 7? *looks around*

A2VR6
09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Chris, 4th Year Mech, FSAE

I wouldnt park outside mech for the meeting, you'll have a decent chance of getting a ticket.

You can try the lot across the street, they dont care if you park there in the evenings... only during the day.

Eleanor
09-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah the lot across the street is usually pretty good for parking. Another option is to park along 34 Ave. as well. It's usually pretty clear in the evening.

Spoons
09-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Russ, 1st Year and hating life!

sweeks
09-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Steve W, Electrical on Internship in Switzerland

jwslam
09-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Jason L
yr 3 mech

Eleanor
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
Don't worry, it only gets worse from here :rofl: If you need help, just ask.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining the FSAE team, we're meeting on Saturday at the Mech loading dock (basement of Mech building) at about 10am.

V6-BoI
09-18-2008, 08:25 PM

Heh hate to break it to you but first year is actually the easiest out of the 4. Have fun! Haha!

A2VR6
09-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Don't worry, it only gets worse from here :rofl: If you need help, just ask.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining the FSAE team, we're meeting on Saturday at the Mech loading dock (basement of Mech building) at about 10am.

Nope, the meeting for new recruits is 1:15 pm.

r0g3r
09-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Roger P. Third year civil

got any road maps? :D

Eleanor
09-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Nope, the meeting for new recruits is 1:15 pm.
Well I'll be there at 10am if anyone wants to meet me then :rofl:

a social dsease
09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by r0g3r
Roger P. Third year civil

got any road maps? :D

PM me if there is any 3rd yr civil shit you need.
Most of the labs are pretty easy though.

XylathaneGTR
09-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Might as well throw myself on the list.

Darren - 2.5th year Mech - FSAE.
Will to live fading fast.

Eleanor
09-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Will to live fading fast.
Already? It's only been like two weeks :D

r0g3r
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease

PM me if there is any 3rd yr civil shit you need.
Most of the labs are pretty easy though.

thanks man, I've only been to the geology 471 one lab so far and it was easy, but somewhat interesting to look at rocks, IMO. I have my project management lab later today, and nothing is posted on blackboard about the labs, no manual or anything, any advice?

XylathaneGTR
09-19-2008, 05:54 PM

Already? It's only been like two weeks :D
haha, yes...already.
I got very used to the nice and slow casual work flow of my summer job...Now it's go go go @ school 8-late every day again...
I hurt my leg last week playing with our puppy (in my defence, it's a pitbull and he's like, 50lbs already...so there.) and i'm in pain and tired as hell.

I'm feeling the burn already.

Dehvee
09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
David T. - Chemical 2nd Year

And does anyone have previous ENGG 325 and GLGY 377 Labs? :D

Bongo
09-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Brian-4th Year Geo

nobb
09-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Anyone willing to share their old ENGG 407 assignments? Me and jwslam are interested =)

diamondedge
09-19-2008, 07:15 PM
407, yikes. That lab today was ugly, thank god it's due in three weeks!!

Who's all coming for FSAE tomorrow? See you guys around Mech at 1-ish, I suppose.

TurboCarrera
09-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Matt B., 1st Year

Spoons, what schedule do you have?

r0g3r
09-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Hiral , 3rd Year Mechanical Engg

can I get some road maps too? :-D

Eleanor
09-20-2008, 10:53 AM
^ Ummmm, shared account?

Eleanor
09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Bumping this up to see if there is any interest in a meet. Maybe this Friday?

Schwa
09-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm down

Spoons
09-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

Heh hate to break it to you but first year is actually the easiest out of the 4. Have fun! Haha!

Actually it has gotten better since I posted that. 201 is pretty good for me, I thought I was struggling through AMAT but then I aced the quiz today, and 251 well, you have to be pretty special to do bad in 251.

All I have left to understand is Math 211 (Linear Algebra this year) and ENGG 205... but they are both coming together.

Any who I am down for a meet when ever you guys are available as long as it is at the U of C. I am staying at rez this year and have no car...:cry:

EDIT: Matt my schedule is
AMAT 217 MWF 8:00-8:50
ENGG 205 MWF 9:00-9:50
ENGG 201 MWF 10:00-10:50
MATH 211 TTh 8:00-8:50
ENGG 251 Lecture T 2-2:50

I won't bother mentioning the labs and tutorials but yeah there it is.

Eleanor
09-23-2008, 01:18 PM
All I have left to understand is Math 211 (Linear Algebra this year) and ENGG 205... but they are both coming together.
Those are probably your hardest courses in first year. Very few people do well in 205. Hell I only got a C+ and I'm in Mech :rofl: Linear algebra is pretty bad too. I found it gets harder as the course goes along too, unfortunately.

201 seemed really confusing until I realized it was all put the right numbers into the equations :D

sh0ko
09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
linear albgebra is NOT bad.. it relaly juts depends on your prof... i lucked out with my prof.. very very good guy.. although his exams were hard u knew the material cuz he taught it very well.....

just keep up with ur hw and ull b fine in math 221... cant say the same for 205 tho.. u can study as much as u want and still get bent over ....

and if i remember correctly...201 = notorious for exams that cannot be completed hahaha

Schwa
09-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko

and if i remember correctly...201 = notorious for exams that cannot be completed hahaha

I believe our midterm was like 14 pages on legal sized paper :nut:

XylathaneGTR
09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
I had Dr. Holland for 221 and he was a fucking badass...Very great prof. As someone else mentioned, keep up with your homework and you should be alright, and don't feel down if you have NO idea what just happened for the last 50 minutes at the end of the lecture...

Yeah, 205, just study...study study study. I did almost every single problem in that textbook (the last few chapters i wasn't able to keep that up, due to the volume from the other courses.) Remember, you only need a 40% on the final to pass and that's after the curve. I think I walked out with a C+ in that course as well...

Schwa...yeah...they're bad for that. There was at least 1 page that I left completely blank (not because I was unsure on how to do it, I just ran out of time...) The test was just wayyy too fucking long.

diamondedge
09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Remember the formula sheet for the 201 final? Hahaha, death upon itself.

I agree with everything that has been posted, and the last part of 205 is kinematics, something that kinda helps boost your grade. Think back to highschool physics with mass/acceleration.

XylathaneGTR
09-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge

ahaha, It was like 3.5 fucking 8.5x11 pages long...Ridiculars.

badatusrnames
09-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko

Originally posted by Schwa
I believe our midterm was like 14 pages on legal sized paper :nut:

ahaha, It was like 3.5 fucking 8.5x11 pages long...Ridiculars.

Lol I took 201 during the summer one year and it was embarrassingly easy.

For exams, instead of giving us a formula sheet, the instructor would just put the exact equations we needed to solve a particular question directly on the page for that question - no more, no less. He also made the questions themselves incredibly easy.

The midterm took me 20 minutes - 95%.

The final was four questions and took me 45 minutes - 90%.

I'm not proud about these marks, more embarrassed at how easy they were to earn.

It was also the last time they had a formal lab report that was worth something like 20% of our grade. I got 100% on that along with the lab reports.

I'm ashamed at how easy it was, especially hearing the next semester about the ridiculous final for it.

SaturnV
09-23-2008, 11:20 PM
ENGG dropout here, now an Artsie... By choice, I wasn't forced.

Just my view on the ENGG courses...

First, if you put in some effort it is not too hard to pass, just make sure you get as many marks on assignments and tutorials as possible. I got through ENGG 201, PHYS 259 and PHYS 363 by getting exceptional marks on the labs while doing pretty lousy on the exams. All of my grades in these courses were in the C's. Don't pass up free marks by being lazy, it will come back to bite you.

ENGG 205 - Pretty interesting, but hard. As previously mentioned the Kinematics stuff at the end will boost you up. I got the C+ everyone else seems to have gotten.

ENGG 233 - If you like programming, this will be pretty easy. Either way, do the labs and don't copy them. The tests were not too easy, but not brutal if you understood how the lab programs worked.

AMAT 217/219 - 217 is pretty much HS calc again, if you have Elsabrouty it will be an awesome class. 219 I thought was much harder and got totally surprised on the midterm. Do lots of practice problems, that is what saved the course for me on the final.

MATH 221 (211 now???) - Not too bad, listen to the prof and get to know your way around the matrix. I think this course depends a lot on the difficulty of the midterm and final. I know when I did it the profs each made their own midterms and the difficulty was all over. I had the easy one :clap:

ENGG 251/253 -

-
--
-
:banghead:

Make sure you write in your logbook, a lot, and don't leave it all for later as they may periodically check. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS, if they say to do something a certain way, do it or else you may be made an example.

It is not a difficult course, but you will probably wonder why you have to waste such epic amounts of time on these projects when you are struggling to understand the physics, chem, math stuff in your other 8 courses. It definitely helps if you have a good lab group.

Nevertheless, I did very well, but then again I am in Social Sciences now :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
09-23-2008, 11:41 PM

Those are probably your hardest courses in first year.

Most people find PHYS259 the hardest in first year, IIRC.

A2VR6
09-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

:werd:

Basically that combined with 205 in first year just about took me out of engineering.

Wait till 349 comes... that course kicked my ass pretty good too... To this day, I think that was THE hardest course.

r0g3r
09-24-2008, 12:30 AM
IMO I thought phys 259 is the hardest, and probably still the hardest, I'm not sure why, maybe it was just my prof, I had Dr.Uritsky and things just didn't click.

SaturnV
09-24-2008, 12:56 AM
IMO I thought phys 259 is the hardest, and probably still the hardest, I'm not sure why, maybe it was just my prof, I had Dr.Uritsky and things just didn't click.

What saved me in 259 were the circuit questions, everything else = WTF. I don't even remember my prof in that class, I do remember that halfway through the term only about 1/4 of the class was attending, I can't say about the last half as i wasn't there either...

Dr. Wilson was a much better prof for 369, so if anyone has him for 259 that should help.

Eleanor
09-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Really? I found that course to be fairly easy (once I stopped going to lectures with Carteret of course :rofl: )

I'm going to have to go with A2VR6 on 349 being the hardest course I've taken thus far. I got another C+ in it. Haha, my two worst marks (excluding my embarrasing failure of 407 :cry: ) were in 205 & 349. And I'm in mech :rofl: . 319 probably would've been if it wasn't for Stats. I hate probability :whipped: .

Spoons
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah just had a 211 (linear algebra) quiz that kicked my ass.

I just have to study more. I have horrible study habits... still used to highschool.

Right now I just fear that I will have to drop engg... and I can't nor do I want to.

sh0ko
09-24-2008, 03:18 PM
actually... phys is hard.... but come 2nd year its a complete joke to u.... if the concepts click... u get everything... its just the introduction of all those fuct up equations that throws ppl off.. dont let them phase u.. i havent gotten under a B in a phys course yet but it didnt come easy thats for sure.....*crosses fingers*

Penis McNickels
09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Right now I just fear that I will have to drop engg... and I can't nor do I want to.

It's only been 3 weeks, don't be such a fucking pussy....

And contrary to what the others say, the first year is the hardest. Once you get your rhythm you'll be fine. Besides, you go to UofC, how hard can it fucking be?

Spoons
09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Penis McNickels

It's only been 3 weeks, don't be such a fucking pussy....

And contrary to what the others say, the first year is the hardest. Once you get your rhythm you'll be fine. Besides, you go to UofC, how hard can it fucking be?

Oh dude, trust me I know I won't... I am just always pessimistic when I look at things.

r0g3r
09-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Oh dude, trust me I know I won't... I am just always pessimistic when I look at things.

atleast you got the fear of failure, that alone will force you to study when tests come. I know some people in first year that just didn't care, and thus... dropped out.

Eleanor
09-25-2008, 09:57 AM
^ yeah, in our first year, there were people getting tanked before mid-terms :nut:

I wonder why I don't see them around anymore :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
09-25-2008, 02:50 PM
No kidding, I was blown away by seeing the classes shrink over time. Now I'm in a class of 75 or so people, and that's the whole department.

XylathaneGTR
09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Basically that combined with 205 in first year just about took me out of engineering.

Wait till 349 comes... that course kicked my ass pretty good too... To this day, I think that was THE hardest course.
Chao Tan (who got an award for teaching it last year, and is currently teaching L04) said on the first day it was the hardest undergraduate engineering course we'll ever do. He also said that he recalled a good 20 or something % failing, and IIRC, he said at least 10% failed it in the summer too.

Wonderful! http://smiliesftw.com/x/awesome.gif

In regards to some of the other comments, Yeah...i agree with 1st year being the hardest just because you're not used to the workload at all. Right now i've got 6 courses (all cores, most with Labs/tut's too) and sure, i wouldn't mind taking a swan dive off the ICT but i'm used to it, and not really finding the workload all that difficult (even though my classes are harder than last year.)

My dad really gave me some perspective (he's a UofA electrical engg, 1975 grad.) Basically, he made school/studying his full time job. He treated it exactly like work and didn't take it lightly and did his best to replicate his test environment while he was studying. It was his full time job, so after class he would study in the library till around midnightish every weeknight, take friday nights off and "work" the weekends at school too.
He did all of his studying at school (where he found himself more focused) and then when he went home, everything was done and he could just relax.

Basically, i stole his method and have found it works pretty well for me for the most part. Hell, i'm in Darc right now and not leaving until i'm finished 325 and half finished 369.

Spoons, don't worry 'bout it. A lot of people I know did pretty rough in their 1st semester of their 1st year, but by 2nd semester they were down with the flow and ready for midterms.
Just keep your mind focused and your nose to the books and you'll do fine if you believe you can...doubting yourself is the first thing you shouldn't be doing here

/afterschool special.

r0g3r
09-25-2008, 08:12 PM
well,

phys 259 wasn't too bad, at least the electricity part. But the magnetism shit was ..whakked.

Well I guess the best thing you can do is work hard and keep up. Engg is all about time management...and yeah it gets tough

but keep going, it'll be worth it in the end :thumbsup:

XylathaneGTR
09-25-2008, 08:38 PM
One other thing I noticed, as roger mentioned...was time management.

See, i noticed it would take me like, 10 or 15 minutes to eat really quickly, which left a good 40 minutes of time to kill.
Normally i'd just go meet up with my friends or something, but I noticed...that 40 minutes is a an Engg233 Lab Exercise, or a few Phys259 questions in that weeks assignment.

I started using those little breaks I had in the day to put towards my assignments rather than kill the time, and I found that it really added up. Even if I wasn't able to finish an assignment in that time, I got a better Idea about the assignment and if something in it was giving me trouble, i'd be able to pester a TA or Prof about it earlier and pretty soon, i was finishing my Engg233 labs like, 5 days before they were due, and so on.

Might not work for you, but hey...food for thought.

badatusrnames
09-25-2008, 08:43 PM
One other thing I noticed, as roger mentioned...was time management.

See, i noticed it would take me like, 10 or 15 minutes to eat really quickly, which left a good 40 minutes of time to kill.
Normally i'd just go meet up with my friends or something, but I noticed...that 40 minutes is a an Engg233 Lab Exercise, or a few Phys259 questions in that weeks assignment.

I started using those little breaks I had in the day to put towards my assignments rather than kill the time, and I found that it really added up. Even if I wasn't able to finish an assignment in that time, I got a better Idea about the assignment and if something in it was giving me trouble, i'd be able to pester a TA or Prof about it earlier and pretty soon, i was finishing my Engg233 labs like, 5 days before they were due, and so on.

Might not work for you, but hey...food for thought.

Good advice.

Again, to stress time management. I find that those "slower" periods in a semester where midterms or finals are a few weeks away and you don't have anything specific to prepare for are a great time to make sure you are all caught up in all of your classes and to review previous material. That way, when it comes time to study for exams, you're really a step ahead and you aren't cramming or learning new material, just reviewing everything.

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 09:50 AM
The biggest thing I've found that helps me the most is never doing assignments on my own. Get a group of like 4-5 people to work on assignments. It'll go way quicker and you'll learn a lot more. Everyone looks at everything differently, something you don't get your buddy will & vice-versa.

CaptainCanuck
09-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Chao Tan (who got an award for teaching it last year, and is currently teaching L04) said on the first day it was the hardest undergraduate engineering course we'll ever do. He also said that he recalled a good 20 or something % failing, and IIRC, he said at least 10% failed it in the summer too.

:)

Tan said that to my class a few years ago too! And I found it to be pretty true; except that i found that in 349 part marks were extremely important! Show everything, even if you have nothing, reword the question and you will get marks.

Also, Tan is by far the best 349 prof! I know people trip over themselves to get into Sun's lecture section, but trust me, tan is the shit.

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I had sun, she was fantastic.

Schwa
09-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Sun and Tan.

Is it just me who finds that humorous? :D

93accord
09-26-2008, 11:45 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

r0g3r
09-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Dr.leping is the best :D

BerserkerCatSplat
09-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Dr.leping is the best :D

Please tell me you're kidding. :rofl:

badatusrnames
09-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Please tell me you're kidding. :rofl:

r0g3r
09-27-2008, 10:50 AM
actually when you go in to his office and just talk to him, hes pretty good at explaining things clearly, however in the lecture he uses the power point, which, to me is not a good teaching style. I like profs that just go through the theory/derivations really quickly and then just do some problems to supplement the theory, so we know what the hell is going on :D

XylathaneGTR
09-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Please tell me you're kidding. :rofl: :werd:
There's a bunch of students registered in Leping's class that are sitting in on Tan's class on a daily basis.
Leping subbed in for Tan one day, and I really didn't like him that much (and probably about 15 people walked out within 10 minutes of the lecture starting.)

Tan = The Shiznit.

Oh, also...Spoons/other first years.
WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) usually have an Engg205 midterm review. Cost of admission is free for WISE members (it's 5 dorrah to buy a membership for the year...they sell them at the door but it's easier to buy one in advance...their office is one the main floor in SA...look them up.) They have really nice summarized handouts and get Dr. Lissel to do a pretty good review of the course theory with some "very similar" examples to what you'll see on the Midterm.

I know attending that review was instrumental to me getting a good mark on the 205 MT, so you should probably consider checking that out, even if you're doing okay in the course.

CaptainCanuck
09-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I had sun, she was fantastic.

To each their own. After having Tan for most of the year, and then sitting in on Sun's review classes, I honestly found her method of teaching to be a little backwards; she seemed to dumb things down way too much for me and a few other Tan students who sat it. Plus her voice...........

:banghead:.

Eleanor
09-29-2008, 11:19 AM
^ I liked the fact she really dumbed things down. :cry: :rofl:

I've never had Tan though, so I can't really compare.

r0g3r
09-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I really didn't like Sun's explanations. Her teaching style was..meh.

I went to her for help and alota times her explanations of things weren't that great either.

Dr. Tan gave good examples that you can understand from, or at least have an idea how to do problems.

Dr. Leping li...he's a real nice guy but again if you have no idea what ur doing, and are total newb, then it can be tough to make use of him

colinxx235
09-29-2008, 03:12 PM
are there any roadmaps for 407 assignment #1 kicking around, i'm working on it now and its brutally boring

nobb
09-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Yes! I have already been asking the same thing here. Im so stuck, about half done. Anyone wanna compare answers or something?

colinxx235
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Yes! I have already been asking the same thing here. Im so stuck, about half done. Anyone wanna compare answers or something?

yah i'm in enc 124 right now, i'm not that far along, i'm working with 2 others, hopefully i'll have it finished by the end of the night and yah i could easily compare answers once done, i was sick all last week hence being so behind =(

nobb
09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
oh, i was thinking more like one person does one part, someone else does another. seriously, each part takes forever. or maybe i just suck at programming.

colinxx235
09-29-2008, 05:20 PM
yah I am not very strong with matlab programming either and am stuck on 3d/e currently... and there are no such thing as roadmaps, so yah groupwork seems to be the only process

nobb
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
well i have long break tmr, i can go to enc124 after 11am if you want. i really wanna get this done. hopefully more people can join in. i am on exercise 5, but i skipped a few.

colinxx235
09-29-2008, 08:19 PM
yah me and some buddies should be there around 1245/1 area and probably for a few hours, i figured the first lab would be easier :(

Eleanor
09-29-2008, 10:15 PM
If assignment #1 is bisection/newton's method and that kind of thing, PM me your email addresses. I should be able to help you out.

nobb
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Nope, its Taylor series and derivatives. Thanks for the offer though.

Spoons
10-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah I am starting to get a hang of it. Now we moved into cross product and triple whatever and things are starting to come together, like understanding the vector components etc.

My only problem still lies with lin alg. Sauer is horrible. I pay what something like 300 dollars to take that class, and I might as well just stay home and read my text book (which is exactly what I do). I have been to maybe 2 out of 7 classes so far... both 2 were useless... So I am kinda struggling with that, but I figure I might start to go to DARC.

r0g3r
10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
dude SAUER is awesome, midterm problems and quiz problems are identical depending on which version you get, I NEVER learned how to do anything but the matrix thing, I just memorized all the steps to obtain an answer, of course no idea what the answer meant LOL. Its just like thermodynamics 311 where you gotta do calculations of entropy, I never tried to understand the theory, just the methods (which turned out to be over simplified, so its easy)

BTW I HATED 233, 407 because of the fact that it required programming, although the harder class, IMO, is 233, I still hated 407 assignments. So far no programming in 3rd year so far........ dun dun dun.

XylathaneGTR
10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah I am starting to get a hang of it. Now we moved into cross product and triple whatever and things are starting to come together, like understanding the vector components etc.

My only problem still lies with lin alg. Sauer is horrible. I pay what something like 300 dollars to take that class, and I might as well just stay home and read my text book (which is exactly what I do). I have been to maybe 2 out of 7 classes so far... both 2 were useless... So I am kinda struggling with that, but I figure I might start to go to DARC.

Skipping classes is probably a dumb thing to do.

My 319 (Probability) prof is terrible, just terrible...but attending his lectures and doing my own review/cram after is still better than skipping lectures all together and just doing everything by myself. Even though he's next to useless, he can still explain something better than me reading it alone in the book. At the very least, i'll have a slight idea/introduction + whatever notes i could get in his lecture about a new concept when I do my own review later.
I'm not surprised you're struggling considering you're not going to lectures or the TA's.

Roger's got a good point...as a last ditch effort, fuck understanding the theory, just memorize steps and methods.

FYI: As I type this (in the MEB basement) there is a squirrel staring at me through the window...He's jus' chillin' there...staring in.

Spoons
10-01-2008, 10:58 PM

Skipping classes is probably a dumb thing to do.

My 319 (Probability) prof is terrible, just terrible...but attending his lectures and doing my own review/cram after is still better than skipping lectures all together and just doing everything by myself. Even though he's next to useless, he can still explain something better than me reading it alone in the book. At the very least, i'll have a slight idea/introduction + whatever notes i could get in his lecture about a new concept when I do my own review later.
I'm not surprised you're struggling considering you're not going to lectures or the TA's.

Roger's got a good point...as a last ditch effort, fuck understanding the theory, just memorize steps and methods.

FYI: As I type this (in the MEB basement) there is a squirrel staring at me through the window...He's jus' chillin' there...staring in.

Oh no I am going to TA's... that is where I am learning my shit. Trust me notes last class involved me writing down half way through "Read Textbook."

diamondedge
10-02-2008, 05:17 PM
ENGG407 Mini Project pushed back to 14th.

Due to the power and computer shut down in the ICT building this weekend, the deadline for mini-project 1 has been extended by one week.

Now, mini-project 1 is due on Tuesday October 14 at 9:00 am.

Due to this change, the date for mini-project 2 will also be changed. Other updates will be announce in the course calendar on blackboard.

Laleh

tha_bandit
10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
ENGG407 Mini Project pushed back to 14th.

fuk ruined my long weekend

r0g3r
10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
hows everyone holding up? :poosie:

diamondedge
10-05-2008, 10:19 PM
fahkin gay mate

september we had no labs, very few assignments. lulled into a false sense of comfort.

now in october, it's all been dumped on us very very quickly.

damn!

colinxx235
10-05-2008, 10:21 PM
^^

what year are you in... sounds like 1st? haha

XylathaneGTR
10-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Mmm.
Nothing like starting a prelab at 10:32pm for a lab at 8 in the morning the following day!

It's quite rad.

mazdavirgin
10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
fahkin gay mate

september we had no labs, very few assignments. lulled into a false sense of comfort.

now in october, it's all been dumped on us very very quickly.

damn!

Fooled into complacency typical of first year students :P Next semester read the course outline and start doing the assignments as soon as they are posted not when they tell you about them in class :\

r0g3r
10-05-2008, 11:29 PM
"FYI: As I type this (in the MEB basement) there is a squirrel staring at me through the window...He's jus' chillin' there...staring in. "

LOL!!!

:rofl:

Nice.

btw any Mech kids here? Enjoying heat transfer and fluids?

I'm not.

diamondedge
10-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Fooled into complacency typical of first year students :P Next semester read the course outline and start doing the assignments as soon as they are posted not when they tell you about them in class :\

Haha, next semester? Naw man, shape up now! LOL.

3rd year electrical is gay.

Eleanor
10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
My 319 (Probability) prof is terrible
Who do you have?

tha_bandit
10-06-2008, 03:37 PM

3rd year electrical is gay.

come play some "urban terror" in the ICT lab.....:nut:

nobb
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I heard you electrical guys have some kind of starcraft club for ieee...is this true?

diamondedge
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
starcraft club...for free.

I can safely say I am the only Viet guy who doesn't play starcraft...that said, I have no idea.

XylathaneGTR
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Who do you have?

I would not be able to pronounce his name correctly...or spell it correctly. Agan Nayanakara or something along the lines. He currently teaches L03 and L04, while some other guy (who is slightly better) teaches L01 and L02.

I'd say on average, there's maaaaaybe 30ish students in his lectures out of about 90 registered.

Eleanor
10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I'd say on average, there's maaaaaybe 30ish students in his lectures out of about 90 registered.
Yeah, that's pretty much par for the course. Probability kicks everyone's ass, then you breeze through stats.

diamondedge
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much par for the course. Probability kicks everyone's ass, then you breeze through stats.

Probability word problems. :banghead: Urk. Do you guys have weekly assignments in 319?

tlapec
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
i'm in Agan's 319 class, and i cant understand half of the stuff he's saying. All he does is read off the note he have. i've been studying off the text and previous notes from last year. I just hope we'll get curved up for the mid-term or something.