PDA

View Full Version : Question about bill of sale

Freestylin
09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I just recently purchased a used car today and was wondering how long I can drive a vehicle around with just the bill of sale. I have a registered and active license plate on the car also. Thanks.

fcukda
09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
14 days as long as u have ur bill of sales with you

Team_Mclaren
09-16-2008, 09:52 PM
must have insurance tho

Freestylin
09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
thanks guys.

5G_celica
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if theis applies to out of province vehicles, or even ones from the states?

dr_jared88
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Are you moving from out of province or is the car just purchased out of province?

5G_celica
11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
sorry, I was thinking of purchasing a car out of province or from the states.

I know the are transportation permits, but lets say if I go over there before buying the car

Tik-Tok
11-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 5G_celica
sorry, I was thinking of purchasing a car out of province or from the states.

I know the are transportation permits, but lets say if I go over there before buying the car

OOP, you can still use a currently active plate from another car for 14 days.

U.S., you need a whole lot more, see Jaymez importing thread, stickied somewhere.

blacklabel
11-26-2008, 01:08 AM
21 days.

Zero102
11-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by blacklabel
21 days.

no.... nooo......nooooooooooo :facepalm:

14 days, and even then, expect to get hassled by the police about it.

blownz
11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't understand why you wouldn't just change the plate over?

You should always just get your plate before. You have to have insurance anyway, and as soon as you have a copy of that (within minutes by fax or email) you can go pick up a plate. It is so easy there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do that before you pick up any vehicle and then you don't have to worry about it.

dr_jared88
11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by blownz
I don't understand why you wouldn't just change the plate over?

You should always just get your plate before. You have to have insurance anyway, and as soon as you have a copy of that (within minutes by fax or email) you can go pick up a plate. It is so easy there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do that before you pick up any vehicle and then you don't have to worry about it.

How do you get a plate for an out of province vehicle with having an OPP inspection done?

Wehbeast
11-26-2008, 09:07 AM
This topic has been beaten to death. Most people will tell you that you have to have insurance on the car. It depends on your insurance company and the officer who pulls you over. I got pulled over last month in a car I had just bought, I didn't switch anything over yet as it was a weekend and hell, I didn't even have any papers with me (insurance, reg, bill of sale). The cop was nice enough to not even issue me the "failure to produce" tickets.

blownz
11-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Freestylin
Hi,

I just recently purchased a used car today and was wondering how long I can drive a vehicle around with just the bill of sale. I have a registered and active license plate on the car also. Thanks.

Originally posted by dr_jared88

How do you get a plate for an out of province vehicle with having an OPP inspection done?

Doesn't seem to be an issue for him but if that was the case then obviously the OOP (lol@OPP) would have to be completed first. Then you would make use of the 14 days grace. But it should still only take a day or two at most. 14 days is a ton of time.

I purchased my suv from Vancouver and the day it came off the truck I had the OOP and plate done in the same day. The suv did about 3km before it had a plate.

*edit* I guess I should have read all the posts... I didn't notice it was just bumped by someone asking about out of province purchases. My original post was to the OP.