PDA

View Full Version : Calgary's Fastest Street car race is back from the dead!

gregh
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
After a meeting with the CDRA(Calgary Drag Racing Association) last night, this race is back on, same date, same time, same location!

The CDRA will be renting the track for their bracket race final on Sept 27/28 & we are going to hold our race on the Sunday.

It would be a test & tune for Sat starting at about 5pm & then we would be running our time trials & eliminations on Sunday during the day, in between the regular bracket racing classes.

I need to know who & how many people are still interested in running, one last chance to beat the hell out of your car on your home track.

The price tag is pretty large, at the moment it's about $100 a car but that might go down with a large enough car count. It's still far cheaper than hauling a car to any other track in the province.

The original post:

Well I’ve talked with Vern from Racecity and they are more then willing to work with us on getting this event done.

We are looking at Sunday Sept 28 2008. The entry fees are being worked out and I suggest having throphys for the Winner and Runner up in each class. I’m going to ask Greg H to help me getting this all ironed out. Anyone else interested helping out would be appreciated. If someone who doesnt plan on racing Male or female can help assist in the tech/class placement, please PM me. Gord, does your girlfriend/wife still enjoy coming to the track? Maybe she can help us out?

It’s going to be a busy day trying to get this all in on Sunday with the bracket race also running, so this is what I suggest it would look like.

Sept 28/08 Heads up race at Racecity in Calgary.

Because of time restraints, there will only be TWO qualifying runs then eliminations to follow.

All IHRA rules are in effect.

All cars must have valid license plates and insurance to run. The street drive component is a great idea, and something we should look at in the future, but for now we will be using the existing power to the pavement class rules with the suggested deletion of NEW STREET.

Power adders:

8 cylinder or larger engine +1
Turbo/Supercharger/nitrous +1 each
sticky tires +1 (all slicks/drag radials/anything will less than 150 tread wear rating or no treadwear rating)
AWD +1
Alcohol as main fuel source +1
Wheel well modifications with no frame modifications +1
(Includes widebody kits)
Wheel well modifications with frame modifications +2
(full tubs, fourlink ladder bars etc no wheel wells with +10.5 tires)

Classes
TRUE STREET
1 performance adder allowed
REAL STREET
2 performance adders allowed
QUICK STREET
3 performance adders allowed
SUPER STREET
4 performance adders allowed
PRO STREET
Unlimited performance adders allowed

Dynomotive Chassis tuning has sponsored True Street.

Steves Performance Exhaust has sponsored Real Street.

ACTION TRANSPORT Ltd $100.00 purse for the highest wheelie.

ACTION TRANSPORT Ltd $100.00 purse for the longest wheelie.

When we get more info on entry fee's and more details on times ect... we'll fill everyone in.

Thanks

Rick B.

gregh
09-17-2008, 07:38 AM
If anyone from here is interested in entering this event, let me know by either a pm or post in this thread, the CDRA want's an estimated head count for how many cars will be there.

cjay^
09-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm in for sure. Lets just hope my car is back in perfect shape by then. :thumbsup:

Mista.2
09-19-2008, 04:58 PM
im in too! just have to finish tuning the car!

DonJuan
09-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Spectators? How much?

gregh
09-20-2008, 09:39 AM
The CDRA is setting the prices but as far as I know, it's going to be $5 for spectators.

GoChris
09-20-2008, 11:20 PM
a bit pricey, but I might for fun come try with some street tires.

Revhard
09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Cancelled again.
They tried, but no go.
Everybody up to edmonton. Timing works and n/a cars are 2-3/10ths faster...:thumbsup:

gregh
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Nope, back on, AGAIN!!

One of the bracket racers stepped up & took over the rental after the CDRA executives got cold feet.

Calgarys Last Dash
Drag Race, Sun 28

Hosted by:
Maple Leaf Tracks

This might be the last opportunity for organized drag racing at Race City. Come out and support the Drag Racers, the Volunteers and the Calgary Food Bank.

Classes:
Brackets: Bike, Street, Box, NoBox, Juniors.
Featuring: Calgarys Fastest Street Car Heads Up Competition.

Entry Fees: Cash only at the gate please.
$80. Bike, Street, Box, NoBox, Fastest Street Car.
$40. Junior.
$10. Crew, Spectators. 12 and under free.

Time Break:
Street: 12 secs and slower.
Box, NoBox: 12 secs and quicker.

Trophies and prize money for each class based on percentage of gate receipts. More cars, more cash. Track Groomer has been rented and the track will be tight.
Pit kitchen will be open. CDRA will be selling raffle tickets, 50:50 and collecting for the Food Bank.

Gates open at: 8:00 AM
Tech at: 9:00 AM ( Bus stop)
Time trials: Juniors called at 10:00 AM, followed by Street, NoBox, Box, Fastest Street Car. 2 or 3 hits depending on car count and conditions.

Drivers meeting: 1:00PM at the head of staging, followed immediately by racing.

Have fun and be safe!

GoChris
09-25-2008, 07:55 AM
sooo...what can I win? $80 is a lot to waste gas and rubber.

gregh
09-25-2008, 10:43 PM
There will be trophies for winner of each class & cash prizes but that depends on car count. Any has said that any money left over after expenses will be divided up in each class by car count.

GoChris
09-25-2008, 10:44 PM
cool. I might go give the true street a whirl.

Mr_ET
09-29-2008, 09:04 AM
so who went to this event and was it good?

Revhard
09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I went. Lots of nice cars, few really fast ones.
That crazy 1400hp mustang couldn't get it together, but it was the first crack on a crazy set-up.
A really nice fairlane grabbed Pro Street with tons of power, Matthew from Tecmotion grabbed first in Real Street with his n/a mustang, the lower class was won by a corvette, as he was alone in the class.
Timing system shut down, and they arm dropped the heads-up races since it's first to the stripes anyways.
Typical race city crap, but at least they tried, no fault of the very generous volunteers and Andy.

Mr_ET
09-29-2008, 12:10 PM
that's too bad for the timing system. Any imports worth writing about or just a bunch of big block domestics as usual?

89coupe
09-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
that's too bad for the timing system. Any imports worth writing about or just a bunch of big block domestics as usual?

Just fast cars.:rofl:

Mr_ET
09-29-2008, 02:15 PM
so no imports right:rolleyes:

Ekliptix
09-29-2008, 04:53 PM
There was one import, and an older supra (wedge style) that did 11.7# at 115mph. Very good driving on his part. I heard he has a lot of money into the engine.

88jbody
09-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
There was one import, and an older supra (wedge style) that did 11.7# at 115mph. Very good driving on his part. I heard he has a lot of money into the engine.

yeah that was Brett Morgan's 89 I helped him build it this past winter/spring. I am waiting for him to scan that slip so I can get it off to zfan for the fastest sport compact list.

and I know what is tied up under the hood, really not alot for a 11 second car. He hit peak of 400hp on the dyno, but some timing was pulled the car really didn't like it too much and settled at around 395 at the rear tires