PDA

View Full Version : Quick, Healthy Meals

davidI
09-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Any good recipes for quick, healthy meals out there? I'm hoping to get my parents eating better and need some quick, easy stuff that still tastes good to start them up with.

dj_rice
09-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Baked salmon filets with creamy dill yogurt sauce, eat with steamed rice and boiled veggies like broccoli

max_boost
09-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Subway? No cheese. Whole wheat bread, fat free sweet onion or honey mustard sauce, roast beef, chicken breast, ham etc. under 6 grams fat, avg 20grams protein and under 300 calories! haha

pinoyhero
09-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Cans of tuna are your friend, tons of things you can do to mix it up.

Turkey pepperoni + some veggies and a few nuts.

davidI
09-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I've found a good site so hopefully I'll be able to pull some things from it.

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/mp/quickandeasy/

Boosted_TL
09-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Egg whites and chopped up banana peppers in the micro.
Tuna mixed with salsa.
Chicken breast BBQ 'd covered with cottage cheese and Franks hawt sauce.
Mmm me hungry now:D

imjimmylin
09-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Subway? No cheese. Whole wheat bread, fat free sweet onion or honey mustard sauce, roast beef, chicken breast, ham etc. under 6 grams fat, avg 20grams protein and under 300 calories! haha

Sounds like a commercial :)

Redlined_8000
09-17-2008, 08:06 PM
So you just need them eating healthier??

One of my fave meals is just boiled mash yams with ground beef mixed in... season it up salt pepper hot sauce whatever and chug it... yum

Just keep your parents away from fast food... cook at home. always eat breakfast, try and eat smaller more frequent meals. lotta protein lotta fruit lotta green vegetable.

BBQ some steaks and grill veggies.

ZorroAMG
09-17-2008, 09:02 PM
1 can of tuna per week, max 2.

Too much mercury in those motherfucking little cans of easy protein goodness :(

Try THIS for a tuna snack:

1 Can of Tuna
Sambal Oelek Hot sauce to taste...I like it hot
A dash of celery salt or seasoning salt
Lime and Lemon Juiice (fresh if you have it

Eat that on tortilla chips (low sodium, healthy kind )

GREAT snack.

JAYMEZ
09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Ahhhhh Subways horrible dude!!!
Dont fall for the gimmicks they run.. If you want subway , get the bread carved out , that shit has alot of calories (Sauces ect ect)

JAYMEZ
09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
1 can of tuna per week, max 2.

Too much mercury in those motherfucking little cans of easy protein goodness :(

Try THIS for a tuna snack:

1 Can of Tuna
Sambal Oelek Hot sauce to taste...I like it hot
A dash of celery salt or seasoning salt
Lime and Lemon Juiice (fresh if you have it

Eat that on tortilla chips (low sodium, healthy kind )

GREAT snack.

I am going to actually try that right now! Ill have to use Tabasco though lol.

dj_rice
09-17-2008, 09:12 PM
The trick with eating healthy is obviously to mix it up and have different things each day, but you don't have to sacrifice flavor/taste to eat healthy

Dumbass17
09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
i've been addicted to wraps lately

i can make two wraps with a can of tuna shared

tuna or salmon
franks hot sauce
romaine lettuce
alfalfa sprouts
feta cheese
pickle
bit of dijon mustard

kutt3r
09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Why are people still boiling veggies?
Might as well eat wet cardboard for the nutritional value of whats left...

:barf:

cool site david, I am going to check out some of those recipies!

those wraps sound tasty.. better than tuna out of the can...

Anyone tried the seasoned tuna steaks that are out now?

Euro838
09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Do your parents eat out a lot? I'd say doing anything at home that is not processed i.e. stuff where you don't just stick in the oven or microwave, would be a great start.

Instead of buying pasta sauce, make your own. Instead of the pre-cooked melt in your mouth pot roast, have a fresh roast simmering in a slow cooker for 8 hours would be awesome!

To the OP, you haven't even specified what kinds of food your parents are eating now.

bmeier
09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Tuna Melt

1 can tuna
1 avocado or tomato
some chopped onion/celery
couple thin slices of cheese
franks red hot
2 slices of bread

mix tuna with Franks red hot, chopped onions and celery. put tuna on top of bread slices
put sliced avocado or tomato on top of tuna then a slice of cheese on top of that.
put in the over or toaster oven till the bread is toasted and cheese is melted.

a social dsease
09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
mmm I love tuna melts.
Chicken is pretty healthy, for a super simple dinner I'll grilla chicken breast or two on the bbq, make some Brown rice (uncle bens) in a pot on the stove, and then cut up some cucumbers + tomatoes for a salad.
Healthy plain, but you can make it as unhealthy (aka tasty) as you like by putting bbq sauce on the chicken, dressing on the salad, and butter in the rice (thats my problem, just cant eat rice w/o butter).

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Rice without butter???Man stop bastardizing asian mans staple :rofl: :rofl: :barf:

dannie
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Israeli Salad is one of my favorite things. Cucumber, Tomato and Onion all cut up really really small. Add a tiny amount of olive oil, the juice of a lemon and kosher salt. The lemon and salt to taste. It is awesome. So simple, quick and very good. I take this to work for lunch quite a bit.

I'm also a fan of chicken and capers. Brown the chicken breast, remove the chicken when its almost fully cooked, and chicken broth the the pan to get the bits of chicken off the bottom, let that simmer for a min, add a small amount of butter and lemon juice to your taste. Put the chicken back in and let it all simmer together for a few min. Add capers at the last minute. Put over rice.

a social dsease
09-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Rice without butter???Man stop bastardizing asian mans staple :rofl: :rofl: :barf:

lol plain brown rice is so bland :D

davidI
09-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Do your parents eat out a lot? I'd say doing anything at home that is not processed i.e. stuff where you don't just stick in the oven or microwave, would be a great start.

Instead of buying pasta sauce, make your own. Instead of the pre-cooked melt in your mouth pot roast, have a fresh roast simmering in a slow cooker for 8 hours would be awesome!

To the OP, you haven't even specified what kinds of food your parents are eating now.

They don't eat out a lot, but they prescribe heavily to the Costco system. In other words, large quantities of food out of a box / can / jar.

I'm a nutrition freak so it drives me nuts. I have plenty of recipes I make, but was just looking for other quick and easy ideas.