PDA

View Full Version : Evo Vs Sti

Sorath
09-17-2008, 09:48 AM
im looking at purchasing either an evo9mr or an 06/07 sti.
anyone have any suggestions? im leaning more towards the evo 9 however i need some opinions to make my final decision. I have done some research and the price between the 2 are about the same

Frostiex
09-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Just cuz there are too many STIs on the road.....plus the EVO (Evil) look is just too hot!!!

http://image.sportcompactcarweb.com/f/editorials/lotus-exige-bmw-m3-mitsubishi-evo-9/6233847+w580+cr1+re0+ar1/mitsubishi-evolution-9.jpg

Boosted_TL
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I would agree with the EVO. We have wanted them for years! Why buy a scooby....:nut:

Buy one decently modded, tune it and drive it.

xrayvsn
09-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Depends what you want it for. If it is going to see track use, then the Evo would be the first choice over the STi. If it will never see the track, then the STi probably is a better DD because of the interior and low-mid range torque.

From what I can tell, the Evo will respond much better to bolt ons than the STi.

Sorath
09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
anyone know the difference between a regular evo 9 and an mr?

nj2Type-S
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
evo 9 mr = :bigpimp:

ae92gts
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I alway have found that the evo has a much nicer interior compared to the chinsey look STi. But (personal opinion) the Sti has a more aggressive exterior.
performance wise i would go with the EVO hands down

Kloubek
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I have read and watched comparisons regarding these two vehicles. In all tests, the drivers say that the STi handles better than the EVO, by a fair margin.

They are both great handling cars, but it's just much easier to go out of control with the EVO, apparently. This lack of control would also keep most drivers from really pushing the car due to lack of confidence, I'd guess.

So IMO, go with the EVO if you prefer the looks and the fact that you don't see them everywhere. I think everyone will agree the EVO interior is nicer.

But if your sole concern is stock performance, I'd pick the STi.

DannyO
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Get the Evo.

heavyD
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
anyone know the difference between a regular evo 9 and an mr?

Original question; EVO IX is a better overall car than the STI. The 4G63 takes to mods much better and has higher HP potential, the EVO handles better, and IMO looks better. The only thing the STI has going for it is the 6-speed transmission which is stronger and maybe the interior looks nicer even if it has more squeeks and rattles.

Second question;

MR Has:
Bilstein Shocks
Eibach Springs
6-Speed Transmission
BBS Wheels
Those vortex things on the rear window

If you are into drag a regular EVO IX, IX SE are the better choice as the 5-speed can handle more power. If you are into track the IX MR handles better while providing a better daily ride. I prefer the MR.

DannyO
09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I have read and watched comparisons regarding these two vehicles. In all tests, the drivers say that the STi handles better than the EVO, by a fair margin.

They are both great handling cars, but it's just much easier to go out of control with the EVO, apparently. This lack of control would also keep most drivers from really pushing the car due to lack of confidence, I'd guess.

So IMO, go with the EVO if you prefer the looks and the fact that you don't see them everywhere. I think everyone will agree the EVO interior is nicer.

But if your sole concern is stock performance, I'd pick the STi.

Weird, I would say its the exact opposite, the Evo is more a a track car, it handles better but doesn't feel as planted as the STi, but I'd definately say the STi interior is better, as for the exterior they both look great in an ugly way so just comes down to preference.

heavyD
09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Interesting as I've seen the exact opposite:

Edmunds:
"However, the manic Evo is still the more refined and capable performance machine. It's faster, turns in significantly better handling numbers and supplies its driver with more feedback. A lot more feedback."

Road & Track:
"A victor in this rivalry is not easily determined. It really depends on what you as a driver want from your car. In my opinion, there is no car that will love you more than an Evo will. As a road warrior, its sharpness, directness, and aggressive yet forgiving nature leave the STI no choice but to step aside. One thing remains a given — compare the capabilities of this pair along with their costs, and there simply is no other competition.

Car & Driver:
"So in the end, our rematch comes out pretty much the same, even though both contenders play at a slightly higher level. Agility is a key trait in our appreciation of performance cars, and the STi isn't quite as quick on its feet as its rival. If agility isn't your top priority, you may be perfectly happy with the STi. At $33,808 as tested, it's $2266 less than the Evo MR, and you will never, ever tire of the torque monster that lives within."

I have rarely if ever seen a respected mag choose the STI as the better handling car than an EVO.:dunno:

Kloubek
09-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Maybe what I read was regarding the older models? I did a little more research after scratching my head at this one, and found that everything I can find NOW does indeed back up that the EVO is supposed to be the better car.

False alarm. :)

weeznah
09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
EVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ae92gts
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
for a daily driver the STi's suspention is to stiff, the evo's is still stiff but more comforatable.

reiRei
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm a total fan girl, but EVO!!!!!! :thumbsup:

3 more years for mine :thumbsdow

a social dsease
09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd go evo. They are comparable handling/power wise, I mean one might be a bit better but unless you are always racing it won't make a huge difference. Evo just because its rare and has alot of potential.

Aleks
09-17-2008, 02:44 PM
What are you going to use the car for?

People here will respond based on their biases or what they've read online. Not many people have driven both.

I see you have a 335i so that car is just as fast as either evo or sti. If you're after a handling/track car I'd consider the EVO. Have you looked at the VW R32 not as fast but nice in its own way. It beat out the STi in the C&D comapro :rofl: oh and the exhaust sound :drool:

I have yet to see an EVO IX or VIII since the importation was allowed.

ZorroAMG
09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Bait, probably.

94boosted
09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
SUBARU ALL THE WAY

Why is no one giving this car any credit:

Driver Controlled Center Diff
6 speed Tranny
Water Sprayed Intercooler
MORE TORQUE (low - mid range)
Nicer Interior
Boxer Rumble from the exhaust IMO is sexier than an EVO's exhaust note
Boxer Engine Allows it to be mounted lower down in the engine bay = lower center of gravity
Nicer Interior

In all the comparos the cars are pretty much identical in straight line, slalom and figure 8 tests and the EVO is only a cunt hair faster around a track

I'm already saving up for an STi for when I'm done College next year

JUST MY 2 CENTS ;)

blownz
09-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Such a hard choice....it is like deciding which you would rather make out with:

http://www.korindian.com/Images/female-bodybuilder-180.jpg

or

http://www.strangesports.com/images/content/104546.jpg

Sure the performance is good but... :D

My vote is for the Evo though. :thumbsup:

heavyD
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

People here will respond based on their biases or what they've read online. Not many people have driven both.

I see you have a 335i so that car is just as fast as either evo or sti. If you're after a handling/track car I'd consider the EVO. Have you looked at the VW R32 not as fast but nice in its own way. It beat out the STi in the C&D comapro :rofl: oh and the exhaust sound :drool:

I have yet to see an EVO IX or VIII since the importation was allowed.

R32 won't be near as fast in Calgary. My brother has basically the same car in the A3 Quattro with the 252 HP V6 and it doesn't feel any faster than the 2.0L. As you said it does sound great though.

You're selling your ITR WTF?:dunno:

Aleks
09-17-2008, 04:32 PM
^
I only drive it 3-4 times a month. Scared to leave it at a theater, mall, etc. :banghead: It was another one of those impulse buys haha. But every time I do drive it I don't want to sell. By far the most fun car I've ever owned.

Darkane
09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Tough call. The old Sti's look amazing too.

I like the Evo though, just by a margin.

Import a UK MR, 405BHP :drool: :drool:

bashir26
09-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Original question; EVO IX is a better overall car than the STI. The 4G63 takes to mods much better and has higher HP potential, the EVO handles better, and IMO looks better. The only thing the STI has going for it is the 6-speed transmission which is stronger and maybe the interior looks nicer even if it has more squeeks and rattles.

Second question;

MR Has:
Bilstein Shocks
Eibach Springs
6-Speed Transmission
BBS Wheels
Those vortex things on the rear window

If you are into drag a regular EVO IX, IX SE are the better choice as the 5-speed can handle more power. If you are into track the IX MR handles better while providing a better daily ride. I prefer the MR.

:werd:

mark4091
09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Evo...

GTS Jeff
09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Performance -> Evo
Reliability -> STI

wrcftw
09-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Go with the STI! Better yet, go with my STI! lol, I can't get over the EVO's ugly interior. I'm not really a track fan or a racer so i went with my STI! I have to sell it, but I'll ahve another one soon hopefully!

max_boost
09-18-2008, 01:30 AM
EVO sir. :burnout:

heavyD
09-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Performance -> Evo
Reliability -> STI

Actually EVO's are rock solid cars. The 4G63 is much more bulletproof than the EJ25. The only area that the STI is more reliable is the transmission and that's due to the longitudally mounted engine allows more room to fit a beefier transmission.

Casa
09-18-2008, 07:48 AM

Actually EVO's are rock solid cars. The 4G63 is much more bulletproof than the EJ25. The only area that the STI is more reliable is the transmission and that's due to the longitudally mounted engine allows more room to fit a beefier transmission.

lawlocopter
who let the fan boy out of his cage?!

Eleanor
09-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
but I'd definately say the STi interior is better

Originally posted by 94boosted
Nicer Interior
WTF? Everything I've read about the STi's interior is that it sounds like it's constantly rattling itself to pieces. Plus those blue inserts in the seat :barf:

EVO IX FTMFW! Plus heavyD's right, the 4G63 (5-speed) has wayyyyy more potential than the EJ25.

Aleks
09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
I think it's safe to say both cars have ASS interiors. EVO has nice seats at least.

dr_jared88
09-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Bait, probably.

Wouldn't an ice cream truck work better?

ZorroAMG
09-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Not for the 15-17yr olds.

heavyD
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Casa

lawlocopter
who let the fan boy out of his cage?!

Yeah. What's a Nissan fanboy doing in this thread?

GTS Jeff
09-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Actually EVO's are rock solid cars. The 4G63 is much more bulletproof than the EJ25. The only area that the STI is more reliable is the transmission and that's due to the longitudally mounted engine allows more room to fit a beefier transmission. No one is talking about how much power the engine can take, I said reliability. Re-li-a-bil-it-y.

Sorath
09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
personally i dont think subaru's are THAT reliable, they are by no means a honda or a toyota. but i think i have decided to go with an evo. now im just having second thoughts getting an evo8 or a evo 9 cause of big price difference

-QA-
09-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Plus those blue inserts in the seat :barf:

QFT

http://images.craigslist.org/01020801030201161220080905615257ad5dc484073600beab.jpg

Just terrible

however i would i would still go 07 subby :) If it was 08 it's a diff story.

heavyD
09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
No one is talking about how much power the engine can take, I said reliability. Re-li-a-bil-it-y.

B-U-L-L-E-T-P-R-O-O-F - indicates that it would be indestructable which means it will last forever, which means it would be reliable. There are few cars that can take the beating that an EVO can. The STI I believe has more documented problems with the engine, suspension, and interior so your original statement wasn't accurate to begin with.

If you don't believe me this is a quote from Tommi Makinen, "The Evo was a fast car, a very, very fast car, which suited my driving style very well. At the same time, it was a very reliable car. It was simple enough. We didn't have any electronic gearchange. It was all manual. It was very, very reliable. I would say nearly all our retirements were my own fault. I went off. I had quite a few accidents. But we had very few retirements for technical reasons, and that was very good at the time".

If the cars never let him down racing they won't let down a normal driver.

HiTempguy1
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
There are few cars that can take the beating that an EVO can. The STI I believe has more documented problems with the engine, suspension, and interior so your original statement wasn't accurate to begin with.

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind: the Evo is the better performing car (number-wise). It is more reliable (sans gearbox in case of lots of added power). Having driven as well as raced in both, I would suggest the Evo. Bang for buck ratio is much higher with the Evo.

Having said that, it really does come down to personal preferance. If I had $30K, I'd buy an Evo.

BenC
09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
i say sti!
fanboy here. and i just love my gc8 even if the evo outperforms.

GTS Jeff
09-18-2008, 06:10 PM

B-U-L-L-E-T-P-R-O-O-F - indicates that it would be indestructable which means it will last forever, which means it would be reliable. There are few cars that can take the beating that an EVO can. The STI I believe has more documented problems with the engine, suspension, and interior so your original statement wasn't accurate to begin with.

If you don't believe me this is a quote from Tommi Makinen, "The Evo was a fast car, a very, very fast car, which suited my driving style very well. At the same time, it was a very reliable car. It was simple enough. We didn't have any electronic gearchange. It was all manual. It was very, very reliable. I would say nearly all our retirements were my own fault. I went off. I had quite a few accidents. But we had very few retirements for technical reasons, and that was very good at the time".

If the cars never let him down racing they won't let down a normal driver. Hmm ok, I guess the Evo is a far more reliable car then. Being the best bang for the buck in terms of performance, as well as outperforming the STI in every way, and as I just found out, it tops even Subaru in terms of reliability, even though Subaru commonly tops survey results and Mitsu fares horribly.

That just pretty much makes the Evo the ultimate car to ever own. :eek:

heavyD
09-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Hmm ok, I guess the Evo is a far more reliable car then. Being the best bang for the buck in terms of performance, as well as outperforming the STI in every way, and as I just found out, it tops even Subaru in terms of reliability, even though Subaru commonly tops survey results and Mitsu fares horribly.

That just pretty much makes the Evo the ultimate car to ever own. :eek:

Again incorrect. Mitsubishi has industry average reliability which is better than Nissan or Mazda and in the same ballpark as Subaru. Subaru isn't in the same league as Honda or Toyota.

g-m
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
buy an evo so when I get an sti there'll be less of them driving around

GTS Jeff
09-19-2008, 01:39 AM
I just wanted to saythat the Evo is the best car ever, that's all.

Casa
09-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I think the Evo is God. And HeavyD, you're his prophet.

heavyD
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Casa
I think the Evo is God. And HeavyD, you're his prophet.

Silly newbie. There is no god.;)

94boosted
09-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by g-m
buy an evo so when I get an sti there'll be less of them driving around

Word to that

A790
09-19-2008, 11:39 PM
I'd pick an STI, but that's because I'm still a boy-racer at heart and the STI is exaggerated in every way. The EVO looks too plain for my taste.

tawheed
09-20-2008, 12:57 AM
I've had a subaru and an evo.. the rumble and delivery of the boxer is cool but the Evo is sweeeeet (so useful I know) ;)

Sorath
09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
hey guys, i finally bought a car.

i went with an 06 sti. love the car :D

ryanallan
09-27-2008, 11:27 PM
pics !

nightfx
09-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by A790
I'd pick an STI, but that's because I'm still a boy-racer at heart and the STI is exaggerated in every way. The EVO looks too plain for my taste.
:werd: Prefer the looks of the STI much more than the EVO, while their performance isn't too different.

Good choice!!:burnout:

DannyO
09-28-2008, 01:47 AM

Congrats, didn't see that coming, thought you were sold on an Evo, but you couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Sorath
09-28-2008, 09:31 AM
what actually happened was, i couldnt get financing from the bank to go down to the states to buy one, so i bought one local. since the evos were overpriced local i bought an sti

http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1322ou1.jpg

pic the owner took, i took some last night but they didnt turn out too good, gonna do more today

Ntense_SpecV
09-28-2008, 09:58 AM
what actually happened was, i couldnt get financing from the bank to go down to the states to buy one, so i bought one local. since the evos were overpriced local i bought an sti

http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1322ou1.jpg

pic the owner took, i took some last night but they didnt turn out too good, gonna do more today

Did you buy it already modified? I thought I spied a front mount. But I love the white on the STI.

Aleks
09-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Is that the one that was fs on beyond?

94boosted
09-28-2008, 05:09 PM

Looks the same as this one http://forums.beyond.ca/st/232701/fs-2006-subaru-wrx-sti-31000-sold/

Good Choice Congrats on the STi!

Redlyne_jr
09-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by blownz
Such a hard choice....it is like deciding which you would rather make out with:

http://www.korindian.com/Images/female-bodybuilder-180.jpg

or

http://www.strangesports.com/images/content/104546.jpg

Sure the performance is good but... :D

My vote is for the Evo though. :thumbsup:

thats gross

max_boost
09-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Congrats dude! I'll have to check it out and go for a ride the next time you come by the shop. Never been in STi, going to see how fast this modded one is :D

dj techsta
09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
ugh how come I didn't see this thread earlier?!

Sorath
10-05-2008, 05:37 PM
so i finally got some pictures :D

http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf01.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf02.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf03.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf04.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf05.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf06.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf08.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf09.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/matrix9eleven/sf10.jpg

Ace_Alvarez
11-09-2008, 03:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNjbsjAZ8k

There is a link to an evo8 vs an sti (uk spec)

The evo came out on top for the track time, but overall they enjoyed the sti more (they have no idea why).

However, the north american spec sti i believe will give the evo quite a run for its money when it comes to track time as it is quite a big upgrade (going from a 2.0 litre to a 2.5, also more hp for the north american spec).

Watching the video basically says that it depends on the drivers opinion, as they are both similar cars, but different in many ways.