PDA

View Full Version : help needed choosing a scientific essay topic

thinmyster
09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
I was originally thinking about doing something with global warming but thats still very vague. Any ideas? No social science stuff.
thanks

nagooro
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Are you in scie 311?
If so, in what lecture?

JAYMEZ
09-17-2008, 09:06 PM
hmmm
- Global Dimming? , that new black hole maker would be kinda cool.

msommers
09-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Sooooo, you're in 311 and stuck already hey. Well instead of making fun of you (tempting), I'll try to help.

You need to find a general topic that you actually give a shit about or this assignment will be utterly painful. So I'll toss you some general areas of science:

Biology
Medicine
Earth
Space
Chemistry

Well, we'll start with that. You'll need to become far more specific, for example the title of my first essay for that class was, "How Vasopressin Could Increase Outcomes for Pediatric Patients in Cardiac Arrest."

thinmyster
09-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I have till tomorrow to drop it i guess. I made a thread last month about sci311 and everyone said it was easy. Not so? didnt you post in that thread?

Anyways im in the T/Th lecture 2:00pm

Thanks Jaymez ill look into those.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Do something interesting, like how the Earth's magnetic field is about to (in geological time) go through a phase of dissipations and reversals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

msommers
09-18-2008, 08:04 PM
This class IS easy. The fact is, this will not be the only paper you have to write in your academic career. Considering the detailed response you get from the profs about your paper (something you will never get in any other class), I'd strongly recommend you taking it.

For this class, you do have to do a little work to find a proper thesis. Do general searches about the field of science you're interested in (I'd help you narrow it down but you didn't answer me). Global warming is a terrible topic to cover because it is far too controversial, something I'm positive the profs have mentioned in class.

Going out on a limb, I'm going to say you enjoy the Earth or something related, like drilling/exploration. Look into methane nodules, new drilling techniques, environment impact technology, magnetic reversal (nice one Trevor!), universe expansion, any new energy technology (coal comes to mind). It doesn't have to always be positive by the way, just something new and interesting. Example: Baby carrots will kill you :rofl:

thinmyster
09-18-2008, 08:30 PM
earth science sorry. I think ive found my topic abiogenic petroleum. [ninja edit] but maybe not

what program and year are you in?

msommers
09-19-2008, 03:57 PM
2nd year geo..like 4th year uni:rofl:

Good topic to choose, I think you're on the right track.

thinmyster
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM
sweet dude. im 3rd year geo and 5th year uni haha. ill be in surficial and structual geology next term so i might see you around